PDA

View Full Version : Maria has mixed feelings about Justine's Withdrawal

baleineau
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Maria's mixed feelings on Henin withdrawal

Jan 5 2007

By South Wales Echo

Justine Henin-Hardenne's decision to withdraw from the Australian Open due to 'personal family reasons' has been met with mixed reaction from world number two Maria Sharapova.

'It is very unfortunate for her and you always want to be playing against the top players,' said Sharapova.
'You always want to compete against the best players but you can't expect everyone to play in every grand slam.'

Link to the article can be found at:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0700sports/1160tennis/tm_headline=tennis--maria-s-mixed-feelings-on-henin-withdrawal&method=full&objectid=18399085&siteid=50082-name_page.html (http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0700sports/1160tennis/tm_headline=tennis--maria-s-mixed-feelings-on-henin-withdrawal&method=full&objectid=18399085&siteid=50082-name_page.html)

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:39 AM
:weirdo: Which of those quotes suggests she has mixed feelings?

All she said was it's unfortunate Justine couldnt play and you always want to play the top players.

Inspiration
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Yeah it's a shame Justine isn't playing. Now I would say the two favourite for the Australian Open are Maria Sharapova and Kim Clijsters. Mauresmo isn't far behind and Nadia, Sveta, Elena D and Martina are in the next category.

Привет
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Seriously I hate defending Maria and think that it's really annoying when people take things said about their favourite players to heart, but this article & the person who wrote it have to be stupid to think that those quotes are mixed feelings. :o
And Maria (and all other players for that matter) should be able to comment all they like, knowing the reasons hasn't stopped alot of people on here "commenting" :rolleyes:

Slumpsova
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:59 AM
she should have said "oh thank god, now the title is mine" then we can have a lot of threads to talk about it.

supergrunt
Jan 7th, 2007, 07:04 AM
O so Justine is your only competition Maria? :devil:

rocksania
Jan 7th, 2007, 07:06 AM
she should have said "oh thank god, now the title is mine" then we can have a lot of threads to talk about it.

this time martina has also a bright chance considering her final appearance in this week...
well still masha is the top contenders...

Привет
Jan 7th, 2007, 07:06 AM

By the way the thread starter over-dramatised it, you would think that is what she said :lol:

Lindsayfan32
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM
What's Maria said that so wrong. All she has said that Justine not being able to play is unfortunate there is nothing wrong with that.

BUBI
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:33 AM
this time martina has also a bright chance considering her final appearance in this week...
well still masha is the top contenders...
$ania has now better chance too :)

jazar
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:35 AM
of course she has mixed feelings. its not good for tennis, or for justine as it is a hard time for her. but it is good for masha, cos it makes the tournament easier for her.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Ah haters :rolleyes:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:40 PM
i dont see the point of this

Mother_Marjorie
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Ah haters :rolleyes:
It will be getting worse once the AO starts.

Maria Croft
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM
The thread title is ridiculous, there are no mixed feelings in that quote, I hate it when people try to create something that isn't there.

Beny
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:54 PM

I`m asking the same question...
In those two sentences from Maria there isn`t any word suggesting mixed feelings.....:o :o :o

pooh14
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:33 PM
ya, i think mixed feelings is not the right word to use.

anyway, maria's statement is very appropriate. nothing wrong with it.

baleineau
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:50 PM
i got bad-repped for this, and I didn't write the bloody article, or give it it's misguided headline either.

tenn_ace
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM
but you did put that face in your thread title which suggests you agree

baleineau
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:05 PM
i only looked at the headline, didn't have time to read the comments, but when i look now, i also cannot see what these 'mixed' emotions are.
very poor journalism.

VenusMashaROCK
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
sharapova haters are so pathetic. there's no mixed feelings in what masha said....

YAWN

hingis-seles
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:10 PM
What a ridiculously misleading headline. And it's just as ridiculous to blame the thread-starter. Why attack the messenger? He/She is simply posting a news story.

Dexter
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:10 PM
:weirdo: Which of those quotes suggests she has mixed feelings?exactly :o

andrew_uk
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:20 PM
'You always want to compete against the best players but you can't expect everyone to play in every grand slam.'

From an impartial point of view, there is nothing in this quote to suggest Maria's feelings are mixed; the first portion of the sentence is her opinion - that she wants to compete against the best players. The second part is factual - you cannot expect every player to participate at every grand slam - in other words you can never escape withdrawals. :wavey:

tard~tard
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Maria's quotes only show how much respect she
has for the tennis player Justine Henin Hardenne.

Much appreciated Maria!

baleineau
Jan 8th, 2007, 11:52 PM
on closer reading, it does seem as though maria was completely clear in her feelings - sad for henin and sad for grand slam tennis. i'm not getting what is supposed to represent "mixed feelings"

Greenout
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:39 AM
By the way the thread starter over-dramatised it, you would think that is what she said :lol:

I know. :p There's nothing in these quotes. It's routine.

Maria, much like Justine herself, doesn't go in the bitchy snide, hit when their down, mocking comment. If you want that go read interviews from the so called "nice girls", other ranked Eastern European players, or wannbe journeywomen/doubles players.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:26 AM
I'm rooting for Maria to win in this tournament.... ;)

tard~tard
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Maria, much like Justine herself, doesn't go in the bitchy snide, hit when their down, mocking comment. If you want that, go read interviews from the so called "nice girls"

Mauresmo's comments for example. :rolleyes:

Tenis Srbija
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:45 AM
What mixed feelings :shrug: :shrug:
She practicly didn't say anything :lol: exepct "I'm sorry..." :rolleyes:

treufreund
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:11 AM
What she is said is respectful and appropriate. And that is coming from a non-Maria fan. (I don't dislike or like her either way)

Привет
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:02 AM
i got bad-repped for this, and I didn't write the bloody article, or give it it's misguided headline either.

Apologies are in order then, when I stated that you the thread starter was being overdramatic I thought you made up the thread name, but seeing as though you didn't, sorry. I didn't bad rep you though, I don't bad rep, it's pathetic.

harloo
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Maria's mixed feelings on Henin withdrawal

Jan 5 2007

By South Wales Echo

Justine Henin-Hardenne's decision to withdraw from the Australian Open due to 'personal family reasons' has been met with mixed reaction from world number two Maria Sharapova.

'It is very unfortunate for her and you always want to be playing against the top players,' said Sharapova.

Link to the article can be found at:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0700sports/1160tennis/tm_headline=tennis--maria-s-mixed-feelings-on-henin-withdrawal&method=full&objectid=18399085&siteid=50082-name_page.html (http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0700sports/1160tennis/tm_headline=tennis--maria-s-mixed-feelings-on-henin-withdrawal&method=full&objectid=18399085&siteid=50082-name_page.html)

:help: :confused:

Kunal
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:08 AM
now she is gonna spread eagle on court

pav
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:15 AM
The thread title is ridiculous, there are no mixed feelings in that quote, I hate it when people try to create something that isn't there.

I tried to create something once, and it wasn't there! but I think I was just nervous :sad:

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:58 PM
there are no mixed feelings at all. if anything, she's defending her.

LH2HBH
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I guess the "mixed feelings" they are trying to create would be that a title win would be sweeter if all the top players were there.

The other side of it would be, of course, her chances are now greater for said title.

Having said that, I don't believe the quote really conveys "mixed feelings."

gmak
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM
:rolleyes: :yawn:

whatever...

henmanhill
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:23 AM

All she said was it's unfortunate Justine couldnt play and you always want to play the top players.
Just what I thought.

bellascarlett
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Mixed feelings huh?!?!

Where???? :lol:

tennisjunky
Jan 10th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Maria's quotes only show how much respect she
has for the tennis player Justine Henin Hardenne.

Much appreciated Maria!

yep. people want masha to be thie tennis vilian and they try to twist everything to put her in a bad light. even when she's saying what she should they still try to make it look bad and idiots believe it.