PDA

View Full Version : any other posters find johanna griggs annoying?

martin white
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:09 AM
she is a great presenter on better homes and gardens,but i find her so annoying presenting tennis,she has no tennis knowledge and at times seems to have no idea what she is talking about! thank god she isnt commentating!:tape: maybe she comes at a discount price!:lol: :tape:

Привет
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Tell me about it! I still remember during the Australian Open 2005 she announced that the Womens final was coming up by saying "Next the Women's Final between Lindsay Williams & Serena Davenport". I can't remember whether she correct herself or not :o She is fine on other programs, just the tennis doesn't seem to be her forte. She also said something about one of the cameramen that year who's name must have been Tim, she mentioned him as "Tim the Toolman Tailor" before saying "Woops" and correcting herself :o :rolleyes:

It gave us a laugh though, we still recall the Lindsay Williams one and laugh our arses off :lol:

jack daniels
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Who is Johanna Griggs?

Привет
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:54 AM
She's an Australian presenter and TV personality I guess you would have to call her. She was a professional swimmer when she was younger, but now she's a mum. This thread really only applies to Australians, I don't think anyone from overseas would know about her.

Mattographer
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:23 AM
And "Amanda Stevenson" :spit:

Huntress555
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I really dislike Griggs, she is an ok presenter at times.
But at times it just seems like shes saying things and hoping its right!

And she repeats herself and other people so much, and says the most obvious things at times, it really annoys me!

TomasUli
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Tell me about it! I still remember during the Australian Open 2005 she announced that the Womens final was coming up by saying "Next the Women's Final between Lindsay Williams & Serena Davenport". I can't remember whether she correct herself or not :o She is fine on other programs, just the tennis doesn't seem to be her forte. She also said something about one of the cameramen that year who's name must have been Tim, she mentioned him as "Tim the Toolman Tailor" before saying "Woops" and correcting herself :o :rolleyes:

It gave us a laugh though, we still recall the Lindsay Williams one and laugh our arses off :lol:

wish I could see it on youtube.com :lol: :lol:

Hingie
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:51 AM
She needs to stick to lifestyle shows.

She is an absolute shocker with names and has zero tennis knowledge. Prime almost need to brief her for a month prior to the event or get Kylie Gillies to host the coverage full time!

aussy89
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
i think kylie gillies is cool, also i do like griggs, but meh i got no probs with it im jus there watching the tennis, least shes not commentating then if she was then id wounder wat shes doing. but meh i got no probs with her =)

Привет
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Kylie Gillies is quite good, I enjoy watching her, on sunrise too :lol: Except the people on Sunrise seem to annoy me, especially Mel & Kochie, Mel is way too happy all the time, and Kochie is just playing up to the stereotype that he thinks will make him look more "blokey". Nat is funny, good ole Nat, love down to earth people like her. But meh, wtf am I doing here analysing the sunrise crew. I think I've been "waking up with friends" way too often, :lol: non-Australians may get a little freaked out by that last comment.

Alicia Rocks
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Kylie Gillies is quite good, I enjoy watching her, on sunrise too :lol: Except the people on Sunrise seem to annoy me, especially Mel & Kochie, Mel is way too happy all the time, and Kochie is just playing up to the stereotype that he thinks will make him look more "blokey". Nat is funny, good ole Nat, love down to earth people like her. But meh, wtf am I doing here analysing the sunrise crew. I think I've been "waking up with friends" way too often, :lol: non-Australians may get a little freaked out by that last comment.

I think Aussies may get freaked out by that :o :p

Lindsayfan32
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Alan Stone bugs the crap out of me far more than Johanna Griggs does. He doesn't shut up and most of what he says is dribble. Like Tim Ryan who commentates in the US but he sounds like a robot.

hdfb
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:14 AM
this comes up every year........

lol yes she is not very bright when it comes to tennis, but she's only the host anyway.

Привет
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Alan Stone... oh yes, I know the one. He commentated Chris's final with Bruce McAvaney, I don't mind Bruce, but not as a tennis commentator, but then again I wasn't really listening to their commentary during the final

Привет
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Perhaps :p ;)

Привет
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:18 AM
this comes up every year........

lol yes she is not very bright when it comes to tennis, but she's only the host anyway.

Struggling to see how you know this comes up every year when you've been joined as long as me and I've never noticed it. :confused: :lol: ;)

Prizeidiot
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Oh... she's not that annoying. She just doesn't have a clue about tennis, that's all.

aussie_fan
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM

:lol: yes, very freaked. Can't really stand any of them on sunrise

I don't really care for Johanna Griggs, she is a little annoying but i usually don't give a stuff and just wait for the tennis.

Epigone
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Her voice gets on my nerves :o

Fantastic
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I like Johanna Griggs. But then I also like eating french fries after I've dropped them on the ground - for more than 10 seconds!

No, really, I like her. What you got to realize is that Channel 7 is an equal opportunities employer. Johanna has a learning disability (dyslexia) and a speech impediment that she has worked hard to overcome with speech therapy. She spends hours researching topics and name pronounciations. She also has a fear of public speaking. So it's weird that she chose such a public profession, I know. The point is, she is Channel 7's pride and joy as she nicely fills out their disabled employees quota. It doesn't hurt that she also nicely fills out their female employees quota and their single mums quota. With Johanna at the helm, people who get fired from Channel 7 cannot claim any injustice or prejudice because they just have to trot out Johanna as an example that they're not sexist or prejudiced against people with disabilities or parental status.

Привет
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Interesting Fantastic, thanks for posting. I would never have guessed that she had dyslexia, she must have worked very hard to overcome it.

Hayato
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Karen Tighe is the best female tennis presenter. Once again, she was brilliant with the Hopman Cup. I think she should be doing the Medibank too because she's always enthusiastic, the players seem to like her and she loves tennis. I mean, does Johanna Griggs even like tennis?

Fantastic
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:42 PM
The speech impediment thing came out when Johanna was a panellist on "Beauty & The Beast" over on Channel 10. She was stuttering over a couple of words and Stan Zemanek said to her, "St-st-st, what are you? A retard or something?" And that really got her goat up. Calmly, she defended herself and explained that she had a stuttering problem as a kid that was triggered by nervousness. She had to undergo speech therapy and counselling before she was able to overcome the embarrassment of stuttering her sentences all the time. She gets nervous when she has to speak in public so she had to learn to control her nerves and her speech at the same time.

Knowledge of her dyslexia came out in a magazine article that reported on what happened on "Beauty & The Beast" and Johanna said that she was already humiliated enough about Zemanek making fun of her stuttering that she was afraid to bring up her learning disability. She explained in the interview for the magazine that along with her speech impediment was the difficulty she found in reading. She learned things quickly when they were explained to her verbally, but often got lost on the page. She was diagnosed with dyslexia. For her TV work, she explained that she had to actually take the time to learn her topics for "Beauty & The Beast" because she wasn't a fast reader. Pronouncing names was also a hard task for her so she'd practice sounding out the names and speaking the names before she would host the tennis broadcasts.

Just watch her the next time you tune into the tennis on Channel 7. Notice that she often stumbles over her words. This is because she's trying to keep up with reading the teleprompter (not easy if the words are already jumping around in your head to be able to read them at a normal talking pace), trying to keep her breathing consistent so that she doesn't stutter as much, and also trying to keep her nerves in check. She's definitely one of the faces of Channel 7 but she has a story behind her that we often cannot see. I think she's done rather well for herself considering the number of obstacles in her way. She did it tough when she was a single mum for two young kids, having to work in Melbourne and having to leave them behind in Sydney. They can travel with her now but she can't keep an eye on them while she's working, so she leaves them home in Sydney with her parents. Yeah, so she might not know a heck of a lot about tennis, but her role isn't huge and she's become a familiar face in the role. So let her do her thing. :)