PDA

View Full Version : New Article:Serena Sais Its Only a Matter of Time Before She'll Be Worlds No. 1 Again

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:08 AM
HOBART, Australia (Jan. 6) - Serena Williams says she can be No. 1 in women's tennis again.

Williams, who begins her Australian Open preparations at the Hobart International starting Monday, on Saturday said she was more than capable of returning to the type of form which saw her claim seven Grand Slam titles and the world No. 1 ranking.

"Absolutely. There's no doubt about it," said the 25-year-old Williams. "It's just a matter of time. I'm definitely on my way."

Williams arrived in Hobart on Friday and was taken from the airport tarmac to her hotel by limousine.

Heavy rain meant Williams had to practice at an indoor center on Saturday, where she hit up with practice partner Boris Ergun. Her mother, Oracene Williams, acted as ball-girl.

"I'm feeling really good and I'm hitting the ball pretty solid," said Williams. "The courts here are super-fast and that can only help me. If they were slow, it would be a problem."

Her first-round opponent will be Sweden's Sofia Arvidsson, ranked 63rd. The two have never played in a WTA singles match.

Williams is on a comeback after persistent knee and ankle injuries saw her world ranking slide from 11 in 2005 to 95 at the end of 2006.

The Hobart International is one of several tournaments in Australia this week and next ahead of the Australian Open beginning Jan. 15 in Melbourne.

supergrunt
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:11 AM
alot of articles about Serena lately.. i don't mind though :D

Brooklyn90
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:15 AM
she defently can..........but not anytime soon

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:17 AM
alot of articles about Serena lately.. i don't mind though :D

Yeah...this was posted in AOL SPORTS about 2 hrs ago:D I was surprised that nobody posted before this :p

Brooklyn90
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Yeah...this was posted in AOL SPORTS about 2 hrs ago:D I was surprised that nobody posted before this :p

it's be posted before :p but thanks anyways :D

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:24 AM
it's be posted before :p but thanks anyways :D

Ooops..i did it again :p

Brooklyn90
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:28 AM

:lol: it's ok :hug:

supergrunt
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:29 AM
so...

supergrunt
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:29 AM
how are you?

Rub
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:44 AM
excited about it!

Lefty.
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:56 AM

You didn't happen to be listening to the song right? :unsure: :p

Shimizu Amon
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM
she defently can..........but not anytime soon

I have to agree with you. If she puts her mind to it and her body stays fit and healthy perhaps one day she'll be number 1 again. I wouldn't mind. If she shares it with Maria once in a while :lol:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM
You didn't happen to be listening to the song right? :unsure: :p

:lol: NOOOOOO :p

ce
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:24 AM
i still believe in her

GO GIRL:rocker2:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:32 AM
me 2! :bigclap:

Lindsayfan32
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Serena can return to the top but she has to do two things. Commit to 16 - 20 tournaments this year and do a lot of work on her fittness. I haven't seen current pics of her so I don't know where her fittness is but if she not in top condition it won't happen. Last year OZ open case in point.

crazillo
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:13 PM
With such a limited schedule she won't achieve it. The new ranking is probably better for her because GS are worth more points.

SoClose
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:33 PM
She can be number 1 again!

dizoo
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:08 PM
i trust her!
:)

Steffica Greles
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Take no notice of it.

Serena always has been able to talk the talk. Sometimes she has walked the walk, other times she seems to have got stuck in the mud under the weight of her own expectations.

Either way, Serena will say these things. But we always have to wait and see for ourselves.

MistyGrey
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:32 PM
She certainly can get to no.1 again. She can even do it this year, but realistically, I think she'll be more of a threat next year.

:inlove:
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM
11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 111111111111111111

frenchie
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Serena should have been the greatest player of all time!
She still can be....

Mauresmo, JHH, Sharapova and Clijsters are just not in the same league game-wise

Chloe Gorman
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
With a routine as good as this. Serena will soon be permanently hosting ‘Saturday Night Live’.

At least she's still good for a laugh. :lol:

Mina Vagante
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM
she can be number 1

radwanska
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM
she will be n.1 again mark my words!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother_Marjorie
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Take no notice of it.

Serena always has been able to talk the talk. Sometimes she has walked the walk, other times she seems to have got stuck in the mud under the weight of her own expectations.

Either way, Serena will say these things. But we always have to wait and see for ourselves.

In part, I agree with this statement.

Its all about "the chronic knee."

She's given "the chronic knee" long enough to heal without a second surgical intervention. Should "the chronic knee" begin to faulter again this year, she will likely face another surgery or retirement. Either way, I don't see her being able to regain her earlier glory in '07. If "the chronic knee" doesn't give her too much trouble this year, she might have a chance in '08.

Dasha_
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Serena should have been the greatest player of all time!
She still can be....

Mauresmo, JHH, Sharapova and Clijsters are just not in the same league game-wise

I agree with most of your post. She is the greatest player, and will be #1 again, and will win more slams. But, I would put Amelie, Justine and Kim in the sama league game-wise...

VenusMashaROCK
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Lol

LUXXXAS
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM
yeah everyone knows she's the best and can be No. 1 again but she needs to move her fat ass! :fiery: and start to play more than six tournament/year!
I believe in you Serena! :kiss::yeah:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM
In part, I agree with this statement.

Its all about "the chronic knee."

She's given "the chronic knee" long enough to heal without a second surgical intervention. Should "the chronic knee" begin to faulter again this year, she will likely face another surgery or retirement. Either way, I don't see her being able to regain her earlier glory in '07. If "the chronic knee" doesn't give her too much trouble this year, she might have a chance in '08.

Honestly Mama, if she can back to even MIAMI 2005 form, I'll be thrilled. From there (barring injury) it's all upside as fas as I'm concerned.

vogus
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Serena is already the world's number 1. In shit-talking.

Let's see some frigging results.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:47 PM

who did she talk shit about? :confused::scratch:

and if she can play for more than 3 weeks w/o getting injured maybe you'll see 'em :yeah:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM
when you can post for 5 seconds w/o insulting Serena I'll be amazed :rolleyes:

:yeah:!

Tenis Srbija
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:00 PM
:lol: :lol: She is funny :hug:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM
When did the truth become insulting? :confused:
The truth is relative...and apparently, as far as I can ascertain from you, so is tact and taste

RJWCapriati
Jan 7th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Nice to hear she is determined again......and Sharapova does need some more competition.

barmaid
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:23 PM

LOL Of course, Serena is the only one declaring she's going to be #1 :p ...its a matter of time?:rolleyes: ....take baby steps Serena, in your comeback and in your proclamations:tape: win a few tournaments/games first and then "other" people will be saying that you're looking good....:hearts: and on your way to reclaiming your #1....goota make believers first!:worship:

barmaid:wavey:

Mother_Marjorie
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:43 PM

I think just about every woman that has reliquinshed the number one spot in the WTA believes they can rise again to reclaim it.

Serena is no exception.

Serena has had mini-comebacks since 2003 where she's stated something similar. We shall see if her prediction rings true. I think her past proclamations generally came with psychological effects (sending a message to her opponents). However, I don't think her warnings hold the same psychological effect on the WTA as it did in 2004 or 2005.

supergrunt
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I believe it. :)

henmanhill
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM

Anyone who gets to number one has only done so becasue they really believed it. So that's the first step for Serena. You wouldn't expect her to be saying "I might get there" If she did then she would have no chance.

She can do it if she gets and stays fit and gives it 100%. I hope she draws Maria in the first round of the AO and whacks her arse big time!