PDA

View Full Version : Was This The Last Year For Gold Coast?

South_Paw
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I vaguely recall reading something about the women's event at Gold Coast being merged with an ATP event at another location. Or something like that. I got the impression that this was the last year for Gold Coast. Anyone else heard this?

Thanks.

spottygoose
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:50 AM
I believe next year will be the last one at the Gold Coast. I think the tournament will move to Brisbane (an hour or so away) to the new tennis centre being built at Tennyson. Hope this helps.

Dave.
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I always thought that ATP Adelaide and WTA Gold Coast were linked because they are called 'Australian Mens/Womens Hardcourts. Perhaps they are putting them in the same location in a couple of years?

Gold Coast started in 1997, so this was the 11th staging of the event.

MyskinaManiac
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Hmmm... not sure about this one. I'm sure that this year was the last year that the ATP event in Adelaide was going to be held in that location. That event's being moved to Brisbane.

Wasn't there a Brisbane event on the wta some time ago, and that same event was moved to the Gold Coast? Seems pointless moving it back to Brisbane if the GC event has been such a success over the years.

~|Naomi|~
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Gold Coast & Adelaide are joining to be a mixed event in 2009 in Brisbane. It will be held at a new State tennis centre in Tennyson.

Ben.
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Next year will be the last year that the rights of the tournament will be held at the Gold Coast. Then it will to move to Brisbane in 2009.

MyskinaManiac
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I hate this idea! To hell with Brisbane! The Gold Coast lured so many players for the reason of its location at a resort. This is bad news for fans who want both a good holiday and to watch some quality tennis.

.Andrew.
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Yes, I'd rather have Gold Coast then a mixed event in Brisbane. Gold Coast is a great event and should stay at the resort.

Dave.
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Yeah Brisbane was held before Gold Coast but it wasen't the same event.

I'd prefer it to stay the same. I don't like the idea of adding more mixed events. I prefer them seperate because I prefer WTA tennis 10x more than ATP tennis and I will be really angry if I miss out on more women's matches!

Also, Adelaide has been a huge success since it started in the 70's. It is a fantastic resort from what I have seen of it, there is no reason to move an event from there.

vogus
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:39 AM
i think actually that it's the people who run Gold Coast who are taking over the ATP event in Adelaide, and creating a combined tournie that'll be held at a new complex not too far from the current site.