PDA

View Full Version : What Happened To the Williams at Indian Wells..

Aaron.
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I heard something that happened and for some reason they dont play at that tournament anymore can anyone tell me what happened a few years back?

P.S Sorry for the dumb questionl....

urock34
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM
way bak in 01 i think serena and venus were supposed to meet in the semis but right before venus pulled out. the crowd was extremely mad and in the finals the next day they booed serena to her win

Aaron.
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:52 PM
way bak in 01 i think serena and venus were supposed to meet in the semis but right before venus pulled out. the crowd was extremely mad and in the finals the next day they booed serena to her win Thanks :)

Craigy
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:57 PM
They accused Richard of fixing the matches between Serena and Venus. Serena was only 19 and they booed her like hell. She did so well to win that match :worship:

Viktymise
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Very vicious booing after the announcement that Venus wasnt going to play, it was worse than the booing Serena got against JHH RG 03, there was also i racial undercurrent if i remember correctly :shrug: and again they booed Serena in the final although not that loudly

PatrickRyan
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:03 PM
and when venus and richard were watching the match they were yelling racist names at them and booing

Derek.
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:05 PM
That's so childish by the Indian Wells crowd then. :rolleyes:

KishG
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Serena and Venus were prepared for a semi-final showdown but Venus withdrew from an injury right before the match. Understandably, the crowd booed. But when Serena was playing her final match the next day against Kim Clijsters, the crowd starting booing her which was classless because they were booing a teenager. It seemed as if they went there JUST to boo her. I think the booing got to Serena which made her choke away the second set but she ended up winning the third and thus the match. She seemed to handle the booing towards the end. The crowd believed that Richard told Venus to withdraw from the tournament and therefore believed that he was fixing their matches. Thereafter, Richard reporting hearing some racial language directed at him and his daughters and consequently, neither Venus or Serena have played, or are going to play, there again. Apparently, some meetings have been scheduled between the Indian Wells tournament director and the Williams Sisters to discuss these issues and to convince them to play there again, but the Williams Sisters have never turned up to these meetings.

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:24 PM
They accused Richard of fixing the matches between Serena and Venus. Serena was only 19 and they booed her like hell. She did so well to win that match :worship:

who did she play in the final???

~Cherry*Blossom~
Not only did Serena managed to win that match, but during her speech she said "You guys were pretty tough on me out there." She was very very very classy. :hearts: If it was me, I would have told them all where to shove it.

~Cherry*Blossom~

Clijsters

dreamgoddess099
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Serena and Venus were prepared for a semi-final showdown but Venus withdrew from an injury right before the match. [B]Understandably, the crowd booed..

Since when is it understandable to boo a player because their opponent pulled out? What a way to say thank you for still playing.

Inspiration
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I can't believed they booed somebody of their own nationality ...

KishG
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Since when is it understandable to boo a player because their opponent pulled out? What a way to say thank you for still playing.

What I meant was, was that it was understandable WHY the crowd booed! Not that it was justified for them to do it.

KishG
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I can't believed they booed somebody of their own nationality ...

Well that's what the USA are like to the Williams Sisters. It didn't suprise me at all when they started to cheer Amelie Mauresmo instead of Venus when they were playing at the US Open 2002.

Mileen
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:30 PM

Against Kim.

Serena being 19; Kim being 17. aww, cute!

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Clijsters

thank you

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Against Kim.

cant have been easy for Kim either then to hear such horrible feelings in the stadium

Cat's Pajamas
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:37 PM
It wouldn't have been so bad, except for the fact that Venus had romped Dementieva one round before, showing no signs of injury at the moment.

I understand why the boo'ed Serena but it was still utterly disgraceful.

Craigy
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz-F2ZJC07M
Serena winning the tourney :banana:

KishG
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:41 PM

:scared: :scared: It's not the best celebration from a crowd I've seen. :scared: :scared:

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:43 PM
It wouldn't have been so bad, except for the fact that Venus had romped Dementieva one round before, showing no signs of injury at the moment.

I understand why the boo'ed Serena but it was still utterly disgraceful.

Why boo Serena if Venus pulled out? Makes no sense and further adds to the ridiculous incident by the crowd.

Cat's Pajamas
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Why boo Serena if Venus pulled out? Makes no sense and further adds to the ridiculous incident by the crowd.

Well the fans came to see a very hyped match, tickets paid and all, and then Venus withdraws last minute. Of course they are going to be angry, Serena was unfortunately the scapegoat.

terjw
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:02 AM

It was suspicious. The crowd thought it was a conspiracy and that Richard had fixed it - so in their eyes Serena, Venus and Richard were in it together.

supergrunt
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:06 AM
That crowd made for one the most disgraceful moments in the history of tennis :( .

I just goes to show you how menatlly strong Serena is being that she blocked the booing out of her mind and just keept her thoughts on the tennis.

cheo23
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I don't understand WHY VENUS WITHDREW ....when she played the FOLLOWING WEEK at MIAMI @ won the TOURNAMENT!!!!! :rolleyes: yeah she REALLY was injured :smash:

dreamgoddess099
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:54 AM
It was suspicious. The crowd thought it was a conspiracy and that Richard had fixed it - so in their eyes Serena, Venus and Richard were in it together.

The real question is why were so many people so willing to buy into a conspiracy theory created by a tabloid? Since when do so many people believe in tabloids?

dreamgoddess099
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I don't understand WHY VENUS WITHDREW ....when she played the FOLLOWING WEEK at MIAMI @ won the TOURNAMENT!!!!! :rolleyes: yeah she REALLY was injured :smash:

Why would she need to fake an injury and withdraw if the family REALLY fixed matches? Don't you think actually playing a totally fixed three setter in which Serena came out the victor would keep down suspicion?

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:47 AM

that's so amazing/inspirational how serena was cheering at the end

she was basically like saying fuck you to the crowd i did it im awesome bitches WOOO

Slumpsova
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Against Kim.

good old days :awww:
i guess that was the last time teenagers meet in a Tier I final :o

Dunlop1
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:28 AM
that's so amazing/inspirational how serena was cheering at the end

she was basically like saying fuck you to the crowd i did it im awesome bitches WOOO

:rolls: :rolls:

GrandSlam05
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Why would she need to fake an injury and withdraw if the family REALLY fixed matches? Don't you think actually playing a totally fixed three setter in which Serena came out the victor would keep down suspicion?

I'm not say it was fixed, but if it was, it would be better to withdrawal and rest up for Miami. If she played, Venus would've had to expend energy to make it look believable (in other words she couldn't just go out there and lose 6-0 6-0).
But I doubt it was fixed, it's just fun to think about. :lol:

GrandSlam05
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Well that's what the USA are like to the Williams Sisters. It didn't suprise me at all when they started to cheer Amelie Mauresmo instead of Venus when they were playing at the US Open 2002.
The US open crowd really pisses me off. They were cheering for Dementieva instead of Lindsay in the '05 qf. They are so ungrateful and spoiled when it comes to our great American players.