PDA

View Full Version : Post Random Interesting or Pointless WTA tennis facts!

soccerjock
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm bored lol so heres mine

In 1999 Amanda Coetzer became the only player in history to have beaten

Steffi Graf, Martina Hingis and Lindsay Davenport.. while they were ranked No.1.

No other player has beaten ALL of those 3 players while they were ranked No1.

Mileen
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:39 PM
* In 1998, Dominique Monami had back-to-back wins over No.1 Hingis and No.5 V. Williams; win over Hingis ended her reign at No. 1 after 80 weeks.

* In 2000, at Sydney, upset world No. 10 Coetzer after trailing 60 52, winning 06 75 64 (ret. during QF match with a hamstring injury); upset Coetzer again at Indian Wells after l. the first set 61.

* In 2000, was off the tour for about two months in the spring due to mother's illness and death.
* In her third tournament after returning, stunned world No. 2 Davenport 1r at Roland Garros on her 27th birthday, only the second time since 1925 that the No. 2 seed had l. 1r, and handed Davenport her first Grand Slam 1r loss in seven years.

* Finalist at Eastbourne, d. top seed and world No. 2 Davenport in the QF to become one of five players to d. Davenport in back-to-back matches.

* 3 Belgian female players have lost their mothers as a child and to cancer: Justine, Yanina Wickmayer and Dominique Monami.

Mileen
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Is it alowed to post some player facts?

Juju's favorite music is Celine Dion.
Kim's favorite musical is Starlight Express.
Juju reads philosophy.

the jamierbelyea
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Tamarine Tansugarn became the first player to win a main draw match on the new Arthur Ashe Court at the US OPen in 1997. She beat Chanda Rubin 6-4, 6-0, after trailing 4-0 in the opening set.

SilK
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Anna Kournikova was the first player younger than Martina Hingis to beat her. :angel:

I<3Myskina
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Myskina was the first russian to beat Kornikova..

LindsRox!
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Kim loves listning to Tracy Chapman during workout sessions.

Derek.
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Anastasia Myskina was the first player to beat both Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams after each of them won Wimbledon in 2004 and 2005 respectively in a WTA/ITF match.

LudwigDvorak
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:27 AM
That's a hot Myskina picture. I think she's ugly, too.

Anyway, my piece of trivia is something I've shared on here before: all three times Dementieva beat Sharapova, Dementieva won the tournament.

SilK
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:27 AM
On her way to the 98' Miami final Kournikova had to beat four top10 players in a row; Seles (4), Martinez (9), Davenport (2) and Sanchez-Vicario (8), before falling to #11 Venus Williams after leading her 6-2 and a break in the second set.

I<3Myskina
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:28 AM
That's a hot Myskina picture. I think she's ugly, too.

Anyway, my piece of trivia is something I've shared on here before: all three times Dementieva beat Sharapova, Dementieva won the tournament.

You think she's hot and ugly at the same time? :fiery:

Derek.
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:29 AM
On her way to the 98' Miami final Kournikova had to beat four top10 players in a row; Seles (4), Martinez (9), Davenport (2) and Sanchez-Vicario (8), before falling to #11 Venus Williams after leading her 6-2 and a break in the second set.

Anna. :o

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Farina Elia was the only person to defeat both Williams sisters in the same season in 2005 :bounce:

only about 5 players have done that

SilK
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Anna. :o

the biggest :o about that is:
it could have changed EVERYTHING... :(

TomTennis
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Farina Elia was the only person to defeat both Williams sisters in the same season in 2005 :bounce:

only about 5 players have done that

but only about 3 of them beat both sisters without one of the sisters pulling out injured.

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:29 AM

Dementieva beat Sharapova only twice.

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Kournikova is the only Russian to have beat Steffi Graf.

Also in 1998 "with loss to No. 24 Farina Elia at Moscow, Kournikova lost to a lower-ranked player for first time in 34 career losses, an Open Era record"

In the same year after beating Seles, Sanchez and Davenport in Miami, Sanchez again and Hingis in Berlin, Graf in Eastbourne Anna "scored unique achievement of beating last five players to have held No. 1 ranking since 1987 in the space of three months"

SilK
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Anna was quite something during those years.
And she's had a carreer I quite don't understand, really...

Jakeev
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Well you said random but not sure about pointless so here it goes:

Mima Jausovec once hit a winner while sitting on the tennis court after she fell in a match.

Lindsay Davenport won more red-clay court tournaments when she was heavy than when she got fit.

Lindsay and Martina Hingis only played in one match ever outside a hardcourt or indoor carpet event: 95 Roland Garros which Lindsay won in three sets.

AJZ.
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Ai once won four matches in one day, Scottsdale 2003... doubles final & semi, as well as singles final & semi :worship: :worship: That was truly amazing!

Ai & Kim were the only team to beat Ruano Pascual & Suarez at Roland Garros from 2002 to 2005 (9-7 in the third :eek: :worship:)

Ai has won at least one doubles title every year since 1994 :worship: She won 8 in 2003 and 7 in 2000!)

strictennis
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Anna Kournikova remains to be the most gorgeous player ever for women's tennis.

.Andrew.
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Ai once won four matches in one day, Scottsdale 2003... doubles final & semi, as well as singles final & semi :worship: :worship: That was truly amazing!

Ai & Kim were the only team to beat Ruano Pascual & Suarez at Roland Garros from 2002 to 2005 (9-7 in the third :eek: :worship:)

Ai has won at least one doubles title every year since 1994 :worship: She won 8 in 2003 and 7 in 2000!)

Ai :worship: HUGE tourney for her there. I was so happy! :bounce:

Dave.
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:50 AM
This is kind of a pointless one but.....

Janette Husarova won the Auckland doubles in 1997, and has finally repeated in 2007, and every time her and Suarez have teamed up they have reached the final. The last time they won a title together was Bogota 1998.

!<blocparty>!
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Amazing thread - I hope it keeps going. :D

Erm... *thinks :p*

Elena Demented won LA this year beating all four players she lost to at each slam in 2006. Her final opponent - Jelena Jankovic, kicked her ass three weeks later in the US Open quarter-finals.

Lindsay Davenport went undefeated in tier II tournaments throughout the entire 2004 and 2005 seasons. (I think ;))

At the Slams: Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati have only met once in a semi-final - every other time they've met during the QF's:

FO 2001
W 2001
W 2003
RG 2004
W 2004
USO 2004

Always amazes me. BTW these are off the top of my head so if I'm wrong plz correct me.

Dave.
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Amazing thread - I hope it keeps going. :D

Erm... *thinks :p*

Elena Demented won LA this year beating all four players she lost to at each slam in 2006. Her final opponent - Jelena Jankovic, kicked her ass three weeks later in the US Open quarter-finals.

Lindsay Davenport went undefeated in tier II tournaments throughout the entire 2004 and 2005 seasons. (I think ;))

At the Slams: Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati have only met once in a semi-final - every other time they've met during the QF's:

FO 2001
W 2001
W 2003
RG 2004
W 2004
USO 2004

Always amazes me. BTW these are off the top of my head so if I'm wrong plz correct me.

OMG she actually did! Unless you count her withdrawal from Stanford 0-5 down vs Groenefeld but it doesnt actually count as a defeat so yes she was undefeated.

In 1995 and 1996, the French Open and Wimbledon finals were all Graf v Sanchez-Vicario. Graf won all 4 of them.

Martina Hingis won the Australian Open doubles 3 times in a row between 1997 and 1999 with a different partner each time. In every final, she beat Lindsay Davenport who also had a different partner each time.

Since her French Open 1st round loss in 2000, Lindsay Davenport reached the 2nd week of every Grand Slam she played.

Excluding 1998, every year from 1995 to 2003, the Sydney final featured either Martina Hingis or Lindsay Davenport. The same thing has happened in Tokyo, from 1997 till 2006 (still active).

At the Cellular South Cup since 1992, 6 different players have managed to win back-to-back titles. The only players who didn't win a second title are Meredith McGrath and Lindsay Davenport. Sofia Arvidsson will defend the title this year if things go to plan.

Flavia Pennetta has dominated the Latin American circuit in the last 2 years, reaching the finals twice in Bogota and Acapulco. She won both in 2005, and was the finalist at both in 2006.l

partbrit
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Slightly pre-WTA, but relevant: In the early 70s, a young player dropped out of Swarthmore to play tennis professionally. Though she was considered an outstanding collegiate player, she felt she didn't have what it took to be outstanding on the pro tour, so she retired at a young age. Sally Ride went on to get two bachelors degrees, a masters degree and a Ph.D., and the rest, as they say, is history.

RJWCapriati
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Lindsay Davenport won all of her 3 slams without dropping a set.

3 of 4 of Jennifer Capriati's U.S. Open SF losses came in a final set tiebreak.

Lindsay Davenport won 24 consecutive games at the 2005 Pacific Life Open.

Brian Stewart
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Are we limited to WTA-era, or can we go further back in tennis history?

The day after Chanda Rubin and Patricia Hy-Boulais played the longest women's singles match in Wimbledon history, they faced each other in doubles.

Chanda once forgot her skirt for a junior match.

Martina Navratilova spent a total of about 1000 weeks in the singles top 5.

In her first Grand Slam tournament, Althea Gibson reached the second round before losing to Louise Brough, whose first name is, ironically, Althea.

Peggy Scriven is the first (known) left-handed woman to win a slam singles title.

The first American woman to win the Australian Open was Barbara Jordan.

The first player from a non-English-speaking country to win the Australian women's singles title was Hana Mandlikova.

The first "sister act" in tennis occured in the very first women's tennis tournament-- the 1879 Irish Championships, which featured the Langrishe sisters.

Jan Lehane is the first (known) woman player to use a 2-handed backhand. Someone probably did it sooner, but wasn't covered.

According to one of Maureen Connolly's friends, had she not had the horse-riding accident, she would have retired from tennis that same year anyway, following the U.S. Championships.

By my unofficial count, in the 1956 season, Althea Gibson won a staggering 23 singles titles, and best guestimate has her topping Billie Jean King's official record of 110 singles wins in one season. Gibson also played 23 weeks in a row going into Wimbledon that year.

Some interesting doubles teams over the years, in terms of names:
Ashley/Harkleroad
Head/Hunter
Dix/Peters

Every Wimbledon women's final in the 19th and 20th centuries included at least one player with a one-handed backhand.

Jadwiga Jedrzejowska was the top-ranked player in her country for over 30 years.

Martina Navratilova never lost a U.S. Open match to Chris Evert on hardcourts, and was 4-1 vs Steffi Graf at the USO.

Martina Navratilova last held the #2 ranking on the day before her 37th birthday.

Chris Evert posted Quality Finishes in 54 of 56 career slams played, reaching at least the semis 52 times.

Steffi Graf won each slam singles title at least 4 times.

Martina Navratilova is the only player in tennis history to reach the finals of every slam event (singles, doubles, mixed) held in a calendar year.

Margaret Court won her first Australian women's singles title (and first slam singles title) 2 days after losing in the juniors.

Maria Bueno was the first woman to win a slam singles title while wearing color tennis panties.

Chris O'Neil was ranked #111 when she won the Australian Open. The scoreboard even had her name spelled incorrectly.

In the 10-year period from mid-September 1968 to mid-September 1978, each of the 4 majors was won by a woman named Virginia.

Mashona Washington is the youngest of 4 tennis-playing siblings to all play on the pro tour. The Washingtons share the mark with the Jensens and the Fernandezes (which do not include Gigi or Mary Joe). Speaking of....

The 4 Fernandez sisters who played on the WTA in the early 80's included 2 sets of twins.

Gigi Fernandez mooned Mary Pierce in 2 consecutive matches.

There have been 2 double-palindromic players to play women's tennis in recent years: Ana Salas (whose surname is now hyphenated) and Hannah Eke.

These players have the letters of their surnames in alphabetical order:
Julia Abe
Eva Bes
Anabel Blow

In the late 70's, there was a junior girl named Gay Nutter.

I'll try to dig up some more later.

MyskinaManiac
Jan 7th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Mary Pierce has gone undefeated in gs semis

Jakeev
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Slightly pre-WTA, but relevant: In the early 70s, a young player dropped out of Swarthmore to play tennis professionally. Though she was considered an outstanding collegiate player, she felt she didn't have what it took to be outstanding on the pro tour, so she retired at a young age. Sally Ride went on to get two bachelors degrees, a masters degree and a Ph.D., and the rest, as they say, is history.

Did Sally Ride actually play any events? Did she have any wins?

WIMBLY2004
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Both of Maria Sharapova's first top 20 and top 10 wins were over Dementieva.

In 2004 and 2005, Maria beat the runner-ups of RG and USO in Rome. 2004 Dementieva, 2005 Pierce.

LudwigDvorak
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Dementieva beat Sharapova only twice.

I'm including the Hong Kong tournament in '05.

gmak
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:34 AM
there are only 5 players who have beaten Venus and Serena in the same tournament and back-to-back too

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (Sydney 1998)
Steffi Graf (Sydney 1999)
Martina Hingis (Australian Open 2001)
Kim Clijsters (YEC 2002)
Lindsay Davenport (Los Angeles 2004)

to be fair, Venus retired against Kim and Lindsay...

disco_rage
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Steffi Graf's worst defeat in entire career (number of games lost) was to Amanda Coetzer in 1997 at Berlin, Coetzer won 60 61.

gmak
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Coetzer beat Graf 4 times, 3 of those were in 1997...

TomTennis
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Venus has an impressive 5-0 records in Wimbledon semi-finals, each time beating a different player....Serena Williams, Lindsay Davenport, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Maria Sharapova.

Bewtween them, Kim, Lindsay and Venus have won Stanford every year since 1998, allowing only 2 other players to reach the final (schynder being one of them).

!<blocparty>!
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Every Wimbledon women's final in the 19th and 20th centuries included at least one player with a one-handed backhand.

Wow... that's pretty amazing, especially since the next 4 out of 5 years would have two players with double handers.

:)

pancake
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM
If I remember correctly, Smashnova once won 4 games against S.Williams in YEC though she hit no winner at all. I actually think it's quite... well amazing:tape:. But I remember Bartoli lost 67 46 to Mirza in US open even she only hit 3 winners, while Mirza scored 45 winners in that match.

Declan
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:00 PM

Steffi Graf, Martina Hingis and Lindsay Davenport.. while they were ranked No.1.

Mary Pierce has, too.

1994 Roland Garros d. Graf
1997 Year End Championships d. Hingis
2005 Roland Garros d. Davenport

!<blocparty>!
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM
If I remember correctly, Smashnova once won 4 games against S.Williams in YEC though she hit no winner at all. I actually think it's quite... well amazing:tape:. But I remember Bartoli lost 67 46 to Mirza in US open even she only hit 3 winners, while Mirza scored 45 winners in that match.

4 games? That's not really 'amazing'. :tape: Capriati often hit less than 15 winners per match against Serena even in tight three setters; she relied on forced and UFE's more than anything.

pancake
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I'm including the Hong Kong tournament in '05.

Didn't Kim win it in 05?

MisterQ
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Monica Seles is the only woman to have won the French Open 3 times with her hair a different color each time.

korben
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:29 PM

There were 62 players from USA in Ladies Main draw of Wimbledon
There were 73 players from USA in Ladies Main draw of US Open

LudwigDvorak
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Didn't Kim win it in 05?

No, '06 and '07 she won it. Dementieva beat Sharapova and Venus to win Hong Kong in '05.

WIMBLY2004
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Monica Seles is the only woman to have won the French Open 3 times with her hair a different color each time.

That's an interesting fact:lol: what are the colors?

hingis-seles
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Sandrine Testud had a nasty habit of defeating players right before they claimed the #1 ranking. She beat Lindsay Davenport in Filderstadt. Davenport was #1 the following week. She beat Venus in Dubai. Venus was #1 the following week.

Monica Seles and Hilde Sperling are the only two women in tennis history to win 3 consecutive Roland Garros titles. Justine Henin-Hardenne will attempt to join them in June, as she attempts to win a third consecutive.

Monica Seles had an odd pattern at Roland Garros once she returned from the stabbing. She reached the quarters in 1996, semis in 1997, final in 1998, semis in 1999, and quarters in 2000, before skipping in 2001, her first absence since 1995.

partbrit
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Did Sally Ride actually play any events? Did she have any wins?

I have never been able to find a record of Ride's pro tennis career. I wish I could.

Slumpsova
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Ashley/Harkleroad team :lol:

Philip
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Ashley/Harkleroad team :lol:
:lol: :D

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Very interesting, keep it up!

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Since the start of the tournament in the early 90s, only one quebec player had won a match in the main draw of the Bell Challenge held in Quebec City (Caroline Delisle). When, in 2004, Gloria won against Stephanie Foretz, she started a new trend. After beating Hantuchova, she reached the quarterfinals. The year after, Stephanie Dubois did the same, and last year, Wozniak did the same. Who's next?

#1Davenport
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Lindsay Davenport wears size 10 tennis shoes.

vogus
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Patty Schnyder and Ai Sugiyama have played in more than 160 of the same tennis tournaments in the past 11 seasons, yet have only faced each other three times (Sugiyama leads H2H 2-1).

wally1
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Maria Bueno was the first woman to win a slam singles title while wearing color tennis panties.I like this one, but who knows what some of those ladies in the 19th century were wearing underneath their skirts?:lol:

Of that era, who's the only player who's taken part in a Grand Slam never to lose a GS singles match? - Charlotte (Lottie) Dod, 5 times Wimbledon winner. She's also the youngest ever GS singles winner, won the British Ladies Golf championship, played hockey for England, and won an Olympic silver medal for archery.:worship:

HenryMag.
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:13 PM
In 3 victories over Hingis, Dementieva only lost 10 games!

HenryMag.
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Dementieva lost the 2 first 3 sets matches that she played in WTA Tour.

Mileen
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:36 PM
This week, 3 players won the single's as well as the double's title:
Kim Clijsters, Dinara Safina, Xavier Malisse (twice against Nadal)

Jakeev
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Out of last week's two tournament finals, Jelena Jankovic is the only finalist to have made it out of the first round of one of this week's two tournaments.

MisterQ
Jan 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
That's an interesting fact:lol: what are the colors?

:lol:

http://www.monicaselessite.com/galleries/albums/1990/pics/normal_1990_FrenchOpen_027.jpg

http://www.monicaselessite.com/galleries/albums/uploads2/normal_1991b.jpg

http://www.monicaselessite.com/galleries/albums/1992/normal_1992014.jpg

photos courtesy of monicaselessite.com

MisterQ
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Sally Ride, the first American woman in space, was an excellent tennis player. As a child, she took lessons with 4-time U.S. Champion Alicia Marble (winner 1936, 38, 39, 40). During her few terms at Swarthmore College, one sports writer dubbed her "the best female college (tennis) player in the East". Later, when she was attending Stanford, Billie Jean King saw her play and tried to convince her to turn professional. Sally had a tough decision, choosing science over sports. However, the hand-eye coordination she had honed in tennis helped her to be chosen for space, as she was the best at operating the mechanical robot arm.

Jakeev
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Sally Ride, the first American woman in space, was an excellent tennis player. As a child, she took lessons with 4-time U.S. Champion Alicia Marble (winner 1936, 38, 39, 40). During her few terms at Swarthmore College, one sports writer dubbed her "the best female college (tennis) player in the East". Later, when she was attending Stanford, Billie Jean King saw her play and tried to convince her to turn professional. Sally had a tough decision, choosing science over sports. However, the hand-eye coordination she had honed in tennis helped her to be chosen for space, as she was the best at operating the mechanical robot arm.

Did Sally actually get to compete in any pro tournaments?

piercerocks
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:17 AM
mary pierce was the SECOND youngest person to turn pro, at 14 years 2 months.

she was first frenchwoman to reach aussie final

she is the lowest ranked player to ever reach QF at roland garros (as WC)

joined Graf as only woman to beat three different No.1-ranked women at the same major in Open Era

has over 500 match wins

LoveFifteen
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:25 AM

The real reason the marriage is over: irreconcilable differences.

Pierre-Yves thought Cher was the best, but Juju liked Celine! :mad:

LoveFifteen
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:29 AM
mary pierce was the SECOND youngest person to turn pro, at 14 years 2 months.

This fact isn't totally fair because she turned pro at 14 years 2 months, but then she went to serve for the first time ever, and by the time she did that, she was already 15! :o

MisterQ
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Did Sally actually get to compete in any pro tournaments?

I don't think so (but I don't know details). :)

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:19 AM
who holds the record for having the longest time gap in winning her next grand slam?

I tought Lindsay Davenport was going to break it from 2000-2005. Martina Hingis hasn't won one since 1999, so it's 8 years and counting for her!!

Dementieva_Dude
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:35 AM
This fact isn't totally fair because she turned pro at 14 years 2 months, but then she went to serve for the first time ever, and by the time she did that, she was already 15! :o

So true! :haha:

I miss crazy Mary already!

Jakeev
Jan 10th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I don't think so (but I don't know details). :)

Thanks just wanted to be sure because there is no information on her at least on the WTA website.

Adal
Jan 10th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Sharapova the only one to beat two former world's number 1s in the same day. (Hingis, Davenport in Dubai)

samn
Jan 10th, 2007, 08:20 PM
After losing to Hana Mandlikova in the quarter-finals of the 1986 French Open, Steffi Graf reached at least the semifinals of the next 64 tournaments she played. The player who ended this streak? Mandlikova's protegee, Jana Novotna, in the quarter-finals of the 1991 Australian Open. (Graf won 59 of the 64 semifinals that she played and 50 of the 59 finals she reached.)

Five players have beaten both Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova in the same tournament: Evonne Goolagong Cawley, Tracy Austin, Hana Mandlikova, Steffi Graf, and Helena Sukova

Two players have beaten both Steffi Graf and Monica Seles in the same tournament: Zina Garrison and Natasha Zvereva

samn
Jan 10th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Also in 1998

In the same year after beating Seles, Sanchez and Davenport in Miami, Sanchez again and Hingis in Berlin, Graf in Eastbourne Anna

"scored unique achievement of beating last five players to have held No. 1 ranking since 1987 in the space of three months"

Minor nitpick: Davenport didn't ascend to the top spot until the fall of 1998, so when Kournikova had her hot streak in the spring and early summer of that year, she beat only the last four players to have held the #1 ranking since 1987.

Jakeev
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM

um huh?

Jakeev
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM

um huh?

John.
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Kimiko Date was the first Japanese male or female to reach a GS Semi Final at the 1994 Australian Open.

Jakeev
Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Just read in another thread that Richard Williams was once present when Virginia Ruzici won a tennis tournament.:eek:

For whatever reason I find that fascinating!!

auntie janie
Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Junior player Arina Rodionova has the same name as the nurse of revered Russian writer Alexander Pushkin.

Pushkin credited Arina R.'s folk tales and legends as major inspirations for his writings. :)

Andy T
Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:37 PM
Coincidences: The first and last triumphs in a major of Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf were exactly 12 years apart. All three started and ended at the same major.

Evert 74-86 Roland Garros
Navratilova 78-90 Wimbledon
Graf 87-99 Roland Garros

Dave.
Feb 19th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Can we bring this thread back to life:wavey: There were some really interesting facts here:)

I have a fact:

Former world number 1 doubles team Gigi Fernandez and Natasha Zvereva only partnered each other because they were dropped by their previous partners (Novotna dropped Fernandez and Neiland dropped Zvereva) because Novotna and Neiland wanted to play with each other. It turned out to be a mistake, as Fernandez/Zvereva beat Novotna/Neiland all the time (including the Wimbledon final 92) and ended up winning the first 6 Grand Slams they played, and a total of 14.

angliru
Aug 13th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I'm bumping this old thread for some Some random and useless stats (WTA, main draw only). Maybe there is a more recent thread for this but I couldn't find it:

Barbora Zahlavova Strycova has not lost a match 'after winning 1st set' since April 2008 when she lost to Srebotnik. Her impressive streak is now 41 wins in a row!

Irina-Camelia Begu has never in her career lost a match after winning 1st set, but she hasn't played many WTA md matches yet. Her streak is 10 wins.

Olga Govortsova has not been able to win a match 'after losing 1st set' since September 2009. Olga's unfortunate losing streak is 43 matches.

Sandra Zahlavova has never in her carrer been able to win a match after losing 1st set. Current streak is 31 matches.

wozfan01
Aug 13th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I was looking at old Wimbledon draws and I saw that Schiavone beat paszek 10-8 in the third in the first round of wimbledon in 2009, only to lose two years later 11-9 to paszek in the third round!

Also, the longest point, which included 643 shots, and lasted 29 minutes, was contested in Richmond, Virginia in 1984 between Vicki Nelson and Jean Hepner. This is also the longest tennis match for both men and women to be completed in a single day, it took Vicki 6 hours and 31 minutes for her to defeat Jean, ironically in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6(11).
(Mahut-Isner match was interupted twice and lasted three days)

armand campbell
Aug 13th, 2011, 02:18 PM
anybody could explain bout Rena's 3 decades slams won? emmm anybody?

longtin23
Aug 13th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I was looking at old Wimbledon draws and I saw that Schiavone beat paszek 10-8 in the third in the first round of wimbledon in 2009, only to lose two years later 11-9 to paszek in the third round!

Also, the longest point, which included 643 shots, and lasted 29 minutes, was contested in Richmond, Virginia in 1984 between Vicki Nelson and Jean Hepner. This is also the longest tennis match for both men and women to be completed in a single day, it took Vicki 6 hours and 31 minutes for her to defeat Jean, ironically in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6(11).
(Mahut-Isner match was interupted twice and lasted three days)

How?? The are practicing??

Beat
Aug 13th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Kim's favorite musical is Starlight Express.
Juju reads philosophy.

somehow, the 3rd fact seems rather improbable after reading the first two.

borrowedheaven
Aug 13th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I think he means one whole game.

InsideOut.
Aug 13th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I'm bumping this old thread for some Some random and useless stats (WTA, main draw only). Maybe there is a more recent thread for this but I couldn't find it:

Barbora Zahlavova Strycova has not lost a match 'after winning 1st set' since April 2008 when she lost to Srebotnik. Her impressive streak is now 41 wins in a row!

Irina-Camelia Begu has never in her career lost a match after winning 1st set, but she hasn't played many WTA md matches yet. Her streak is 10 wins.

Olga Govortsova has not been able to win a match 'after losing 1st set' since September 2009. Olga's unfortunate losing streak is 43 matches.

Sandra Zahlavova has never in her carrer been able to win a match after losing 1st set. Current streak is 31 matches.

Barbora :eek: Sandra :unsure:

They were moonballing.

LenaDMania0003
Aug 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM

This reminds me of Safina.
She beat 3 different No.1's in 2008.
Henin (Rome), Sharapova (Roland Garros) and Jankovic (Olympic Games)

cowmoonski
Aug 13th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Venus has lost to the eventual champion of the US Open every year she has played since 2005 :oh: .

Ashi
Aug 13th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Dinara Safina and Amelie Mauresmo were the first players to play under the new closed roof on Centre Court at Wimbledon in 2009.

Chip.
Aug 13th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Venus has lost to the eventual champion of the US Open every year she has played since 2005 :oh: .

:crying2: :crying2:

wozfan01
Aug 13th, 2011, 04:58 PM
They were moonballing.

Exactly!! I read somewhere that the radio commentator for the match just said which shot was just hit in the rally, 188, 189....:lol:!! and yeah it was one point, not a game as someone else said.

angliru
Aug 13th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Wozniacki has never lost to a younger player, WTA and ITF included.

Source: Kworb (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=440133)

InsideOut.
Aug 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM

That will change with time.

Purple_Rain
Aug 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM

Christina McHale is 19.

Curtos07
Aug 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Ana Ivanovic played in a empty swimming pool as a kid. Surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often. :D

theFutureisNow
Aug 13th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Christina McHale is 19.

When did she lose to her? It's not listed in the H2H I looked up.

For anyone that's interested, here are the top 100 players younger than Caro-

pavlyuchenkova
paszek
marino
hercog
begu
pervak
halep
jovanovski
martic
mchale
rus

angliru
Aug 13th, 2011, 07:53 PM
When did she lose to her? It's not listed in the H2H I looked up.

No, but there's a chance of a R2 match at Cincinnati next week!

Djezonfly
Aug 14th, 2011, 01:33 AM

Nice jinx, Barbie just lost 57 64 75 to Rodionova :spit:

VeeJJ
Aug 14th, 2011, 01:38 AM

GTFO!

Purple_Rain
Aug 14th, 2011, 01:42 AM
When did she lose to her?

Next Wednesday. Should I make a jinx thread to make sure?

Papillon.
Aug 14th, 2011, 01:48 AM

I LOVE YOU FOREVER FOR JINXING THIS :sobbing:

angliru
Aug 14th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Nice jinx, Barbie just lost 57 64 75 to Rodionova :spit:

I LOVE YOU FOREVER FOR JINXING THIS :sobbing:

Well done by Rodionova, but Barbora's winning streak of 41 consecutive main draw matches still stands. Barbora has actually been defeated a couple of times during this 41 match winning streak after leading a set if we include ITF matches or qualies. Yeah, I know, maybe it's pointless to list such winning and losing streaks for md only, but that's what the thread title says (pointless). Anyway, I'd like to jinx Sandra's and Olga's terrible records... :)

Sam L
Aug 14th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Coincidences: The first and last triumphs in a major of Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf were exactly 12 years apart. All three started and ended at the same major.

Evert 74-86 Roland Garros
Navratilova 78-90 Wimbledon
Graf 87-99 Roland Garros

I was just thinking about this. I think Serena is about to join them.

99-11 US Open. But somehow I don't think this will be Serena's last.

Sam L
Aug 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Did you know that Monica Seles is the only player (male or female) to have won three consecutive titles at two slams and also at the season ending championships?

It just goes to show how dominant she was when she was stabbed and how hard it is to be that dominant.

Steadyniacki
Aug 14th, 2011, 01:55 PM

OMG :eek:

goat
Aug 14th, 2011, 01:57 PM
This has been an excellent thread so far, well done OP!

edit: OP hasn't been active since 2007 :l

Uranium
Aug 14th, 2011, 02:14 PM

She has lost to the eventual champion every year at the US Open except 1999 and 2004. So she has 8 times.

cowmoonski
Aug 14th, 2011, 04:11 PM
She has lost to the eventual champion every year at the US Open except 1999 and 2004. So she has 8 times.

'98?

soccerjock
Aug 14th, 2011, 04:19 PM
How random.... first time i've logged on to here in years and find one of my threads on page 1 lol

goat
Aug 14th, 2011, 04:46 PM
now I can say it! Good thread op :D

roelc
Aug 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM
every time kim played rubin, she went on to win the tournament (5 times)
kim is the only player to beat venus and serena while they were nr-1,
and i suppose she is the only player who won a grand slam while being unranked

Sammo
Aug 14th, 2011, 05:05 PM
How random.... first time i've logged on to here in years and find one of my threads on page 1 lol

Yeah it's really random :lol:

soccerjock
Aug 14th, 2011, 07:33 PM
now I can say it! Good thread op :D

Haha thanks!... i mean ive browsed on here in last few years but havent actually posted.... till i saw my thread up... i didnt even realise it was my thread, until i saw the username, and i was like, was that my username lol

theFutureisNow
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Next Wednesday. Should I make a jinx thread to make sure?

Looks like this thread was enough.

Mchale- First player younger than Wozniacki to ever beat her.

madlove
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Jelena Dokic's favorite group is the Spice Girls.

angliru
Aug 28th, 2011, 07:12 AM
114 unique players have appeared in the 176 WTA quarter finals played so far in 2011. I have no idea how this compares to other seasons, but it's certainly more than I had expected. I guess the top of the WTA has become quite wide.

43 players have apperead in exactly one QF, while Bartoli leads with 11 QF appearances. 5 players have 10 QF appearances (Azarenka, Peng, Petkovic, Wozniacki, Zvonareva).

VeeJJ
Aug 28th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Martina Hingis was seeded 1 at 11 slams from FO 1998- USO 2001 and won none of them.

Wert.
Aug 28th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Anna Chakvetadze faced German players in 1st round of Grand Slam 3 times between Juny 2009 and Juny 2010 :shrug:

BepaMaria
Aug 28th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Sharapova is the only player to have reached the 4th round or better at the last 5 slams:worship:
(Zvonareva would have done it too if it weren't for the Wimbledon loss to Pironkova:o)