PDA

View Full Version : Serena still has No.1 ambition

Dasha_
Jan 6th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Once a giant of the game, Serena Williams has returned to Australia to make the most of the latest withdrawal in women's tennis.

Just before Williams boarded a flight in Los Angeles, her latest successor as world No.1, Justine Henin-Hardenne, pulled out of the Australian Open for personal reasons, reported to be marriage difficulties.

Tournament withdrawals are something Williams, now ranked No.95, is all too familiar with, having played only four tournaments in a 2006 season marred by knee injuries and failing to make a final.

Williams, 25, flew into Hobart on Friday for this week's Moorilla Hobart International, a WTA tier-four level tournament, which she has rarely entered since she chased elder sister Venus all the way to the No.1 ranking in 2002.

The American practised indoors yesterday, accompanied by her mother and coach Oracene Price, because of steady rain in Hobart.

"I'm hitting the ball solid and I'm really excited about my form," Williams said after her first session.

Williams's status as a grand slam winner is reflected in her place on the seventh line of betting at $17 in a redrawn market for the Australian Open, now headed by Maria Sharapova at $3 and former world No.1 players Kim Clijsters and Amelie Mauresmo at $5.

Serana's sister Venus is $41, having missed the Hopman Cup with a recurrence of a wrist injury.

She appears odds-on to withdrawal from Melbourne Park this week, especially as she has not come to Hobart.

Serena Williams has not played in four months since the US Open, at which she spoke with what turned out to be empty words about her intention to play several tournaments in Europe before year's end to improve her ranking.

She also spoke about wanting to go to Africa "more than anything" so her non-appearance in Europe was hardly a surprise development.

It is two years since the flamboyant American quietened temporarily claims that she showed too little focus on her tennis at the expense of her television acting and fashion ventures by winning her seventh grand slam title at the 2005 Australian Open.

Since then she has played in five of the eight grand slam tournaments on offer, but not made the quarter-final in any of them.

"The only difference is I'm older and I'm more calm than I was. That's it," Williams said.

"I don't think lack of match play had anything to do with it (her record in 2006) too much.

"I, at best, had a mediocre time."

In a rare moment of revelation, Williams said that her knee had a one-hour limit in a match before it started hurting again and when she had a long first set in her fourth-round loss to dual major winner Amelie Mauresmo she "knew my US Open was done".

Her Hobart appearances will give a clue to how much training Williams has been able or willing to put into her body.

Williams said Andre Agassi's climb back from No.141 to No.1 in 1999 made her think a similar comeback was possible for her.

The difference is that a 30-something Agassi was willing to commit himself for years to the hardest training and dietary discipline of his life.

"Everyone has their ups and downs. Everyone's in and out of shape," Williams said.

Bright teen prospects such as world No.14 Ana Ivanovic, of Serbia, are too respectful of the Williams sisters' achievements to enter into debate about them.

"It's very hard to say (if they're finished) because they have had injuries the past couple of years," Ivanovic said last week. "They brought tennis to another level and played different tennis. It helped to improve the game."

supergrunt
Jan 6th, 2007, 04:32 PM
that line about after an hour her nkee starts to hurt really makes me sad :tears:

Craigy
Jan 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM
She said the same thing about her knee at the 2005 US Open. Serena please do something about it then :sad:
I hope she's ok :unsure:

jazar
Jan 6th, 2007, 04:44 PM
its good to dream

Marcell
Jan 6th, 2007, 04:46 PM
A surgically repaired knee is never the same. She just has to work within her limitation and hope for the best.

plantman
Jan 6th, 2007, 04:58 PM
"In a rare moment of revelation, Williams said that her knee had a one-hour limit in a match before it started hurting again "

Not the thing I'd like my adversary to know! Although in Serena's case all the players know this tid bit and will try and make the game as physical as possible. Against Serena that's often hard to do!

darrinbaker00
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:02 PM
A surgically repaired knee is never the same. She just has to work within her limitation and hope for the best.
Lindsay Davenport made it back to #1 on her rebuilt knee. If she could do it, so can Serena.

.Andrew.
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Go Serena! :worship:

Venus please come to Australia. :sad:

Mina Vagante
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:30 PM
yay serena glad 2 hear that u still have the hunger, cmon serena you ARE capable of becoming number 1 again

Tenis Srbija
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Noumber one... has she seen who is now in top 5? :rolleyes:

Craigy
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM

If Serena was in 100% shape, she would be number 1. Did you ever see Serena in 2002? They wouldn't stand a chance :lol:

Mina Vagante
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM

yeh! none of the top 5 have a winning record against her.

Nicolás89
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM
lets see miss williams what you have to offer in the australian summer:cool:

urock34
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM

serena won 3 titles plus a grand slam with a rebuilt knee. She got to the finals of wimbledon and she made 2 other quaterfinals. If it wern't for that ankle she didnt work on it properly like she should have she was more focused on ther ankle She can do it

:inlove:
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM

:tape: None of the top 5 would have a chance against her at her best. :o

Serena's leg comment. :scared: :bigcry: Just make sure you win all 7 matches in 59 minutes then. :rolleyes:

iWill
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Lindsay Davenport made it back to #1 on her rebuilt knee. If she could do it, so can Serena.

thats true but Davenport was no where near as athletic and quick on the court as Serena her legs is what keeps her in lots of matches I think she needs to keep doing what shes doing but instead of resting it all the time she needs to play on it and get her body used to playing again because all of these long lay offs are obviously not helping her knee she basically is having to start all over again after every tourney

Williams-forever
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Let's see what you can do Rena;) If she stays injury-free her shape is gonna get better with more match play throughout the year...It's definitely possible:)

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:44 PM

n00b!

Mina Vagante
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM
i dont get it, so serena HAD a one hour limit on her leg or HAS a one hour limit on her leg

santhuruu
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Woowww keep up that good mentality, also good to see that she trained yesterday! Can't wait to see some good things of Serena this year!

perseus2006
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:54 PM
If Serena was in 100% shape, she would be number 1. Did you ever see Serena in 2002? They wouldn't stand a chance :lol:

I saw Serena not only in 2002 but in most of her televised matches since she arrived on the scene. In 2002 she was good enough to be #1. I don't think that same form would get her to #1 in today's field. The field has caught up and passed the Serena of 2002. Regretably, Serena has not been able to maintain her 2002 form due to injury and other interests.

Lets see what she looks like in Hobart and the AO. Maybe it will answer the question about whether she is playing because she wants to or playing to satisfy endorsement obligations.

The AO marks two full years since she has done anything.

supergrunt
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I saw Serena not only in 2002 but in most of her televised matches since she arrived on the scene. In 2002 she was good enough to be #1. I don't think that same form would get her to #1 in today's field. The field has caught up and passed the Serena of 2002. Regretably, Serena has not been able to maintain her 2002 form due to injury and other interests.

Lets see what she looks like in Hobart and the AO. Maybe it will answer the question about whether she is playing because she wants to or playing to satisfy endorsement obligations.

I disagree :)

ce
Jan 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM
i think that serena from 2002 could still easy be number 1

sweetpeas
Jan 6th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I"m not here to see,what Serena can do now!I love Serena Williams the young lady.That it.It"s her life.I"m glad she "let me and my "family" see,some great tennis.Also Venus, Lindsay,Kim .Nothing or no one stay the same?Look at your family,or yourself!

#1Davenport
Jan 6th, 2007, 06:43 PM
To the top Serena!

KishG
Jan 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Bull shit. I've been watching tennis for a long time and a player has yet to match the ability of Serena Williams. No one has passed Serena Williams, and no one will. This is the woman who, in her prime, managed to win all four slams in a row, and was able to hit winners off of other potential winners from her opponents. She can still get to that stage and even better it. Non-fans what to believe what they want to believe because the truth is, if Venus and or Serena were half as good as they were back then, then they'd be dominating.

Sorry but they both trump Miss Sharapova who can only imitate their game but to the lesser extent of having not as much variety.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 6th, 2007, 07:13 PM

You're dead wrong, because even Serena in 2005 had gotten back to #2 and this was already after the "game had passed her by" So I don't know which Serena YOU were watching in 2002 but the one that I watched would still be #1 during this era.

Brooklyn90
Jan 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Serena of 02-03 is still better than any player now days.

Mina Vagante
Jan 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM
yep i think the serena of 2002-2004 is still better than any other the players right now. its bull that perseus2006 thinks the serena of 2002 wouldnt be number 1 right now. did he/she even SEE that serena, i mean were talking about the form than dominated womens tennis, winning all four gs in row, and holding the number 1 spot for more than a year! its ridiculas to think that this form wouldn't be number 1 !:lol:

Shonami Slam
Jan 6th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I'd love to see serena playing a full draw of russians. that would be very exciting, since she's missed out on them.

supergrunt
Jan 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Bull shit. I've been watching tennis for a long time and a player has yet to match the ability of Serena Williams. No one has passed Serena Williams, and no one will. This is the woman who, in her prime, managed to win all four slams in a row, and was able to hit winners off of other potential winners from her opponents. She can still get to that stage and even better it. Non-fans what to believe what they want to believe because the truth is, if Venus and or Serena were half as good as they were back then, then they'd be dominating.

Sorry but they both trump Miss Sharapova who can only imitate their game but to the lesser extent of having not as much variety.

:worship: :hug:

Brooklyn90
Jan 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM
i have kinda given up on ever seeing the Serena of 02 and 03 again. What was has now passed. But i still have hopes of a nice future for her in tennis :) But nothing like it once was.... :(

supergrunt
Jan 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM
you also have to keep in mind.. she played four tournaments last year.. how is she going to play well? :confused:

Williams-forever
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'd love to see serena playing a full draw of russians. that would be very exciting, since she's missed out on them.

That won't be a problem as this is how the WTA draws is at the moment...:o

fifiricci
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Non-fans what to believe what they want to believe because the truth is, if Venus and or Serena were half as good as they were back then, then they'd be dominating. .

Possibly, but the real truth is that they aren't as good as they are back then. Another ultimate truth is that you need to live in the real world and the real world is that Serena is nowehere at the moment and can only get back to what your world is by shifting her fat arse back into the real world by really playing tennis, consistently and at her best for more weeks on end than she's been able to for about the last two years.

So let's wait and see if the tennis is as good as the mouth evidently still is.

;)

I<3Myskina
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Erm, it will hard to regain no.1 when you've got people who can equally hit hard like masha.

Craigy
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Yes but it was force Serena to raise her game too. Which we all know she could have done. It was already happening in 2003, but she still remained on top, losing only 3 matches. Then the injuries came :sobbing:

KishG
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Possibly, but the real truth is that they aren't as good as they are back then. Another ultimate truth is that you need to live in the real world and the real world is that Serena is nowehere at the moment and can only get back to what your world is by shifting her fat arse back into the real world by really playing tennis, consistently and at her best for more weeks on end than she's been able to for about the last two years.

So let's wait and see if the tennis is as good as the mouth evidently still is.

;)

What did I say? I said she can still get back to that stage. And she can! It's not impossible. She's only 25 and has some good years left in her. Only a moron such as yourself would say "[she needs to] play [in the] real world". Of course she's playing in the real world! Why the f8ck do you think shes playing in a such a minor tournament? The fact that Serena's playing in such a minor tournament shows her dedication. She played in the real world when she won the Australian open 05 beating the number one and number two in the world [at that time]. She wasn't even 100%. She just has to be a little more fit in order to win slams. She showed us this at the US open 2006 where she bagelled Amelie Mauresmo but her fitness let her down. She had the momentum going into the third set and would have won as usual but ran out of gas. People such as yourself can go support their favs who get the shit beaten out of them by other players and can just about manage to win one slam, but carry on writing Serena off. She doesn't need your support and never will. The WTA are playing catch-up with her, not the other way round.

alias
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:55 PM
She won't dominate the tour and I don't think she'll achieve the number 1 ranking again and if she does it will be for a few months here and there. She will win a few more slams. But it is a bit worrying that her knee can only hold up for an hour before pain sets in. She's going to have to play a really smart shedule with loads of time off to rest her knees before and after slams. I think her focus and should be on the slams only, forget the number 1 ranking.

Dasha_
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM
fit and healthy serena is better than any other the players right now

and, yes, she will win more slams

and, yes, she will regain No.1 spot again

goldenlox
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:38 PM
It's good to have these former champions back on the tour, like Serena and Martina.
There's no down side. They bring some buzz to a tournament, and they have a lot of fans.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:41 PM
I just thought of something, Serena would have an easier time with her knee (possibly being able to play for more than 1 hour) if she lost some weight. Some things I understand are out of her control, but she can control her weight. I just don't understand who are Serena and Venus' advisors, but then again these girls probably will do what they want when they want.

terjw
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:11 AM
LOL at all this "Serena 2002 is better than todays top players. No she's not. Yes she is. A completely irrelevant argument and a lot of hot air which even if it could be proved one way or another - so what. The thing we are supposed to be discussing here is getting to the top NOW.

It was interesting that comment in the article about the comparison with Agassi:

Williams said Andre Agassi's climb back from No.141 to No.1 in 1999 made her think a similar comeback was possible for her.

The difference is that a 30-something Agassi was willing to commit himself for years to the hardest training and dietary discipline of his life.

Also her comment

"I don't think lack of match play had anything to do with it (her record in 2006) too much."

Hmm - In the past both sisters used to be able to win tournaments without any match practice - and that did work for them. I just think that getting back to the top is so much harder in any sport than getting their in the first place. I don't know if she really believes that what worked back then will still work now - that she can just waltz in to a slam with hardly any matches under her belt and win it. I don't think that will work any more and she will have to work very hard for it and play a lot more matches if she wants #1 again.

Mileen
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Go Serena! :worship:

Venus please come to Australia. :sad:

Exactly what I wanted to say!

Craigy
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:26 AM

Oh that already happened. See Beijing 2004, she won that tournament beating all Russians :wavey:

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Good for Serena. Let that ambition and words have equal action and all will be good.

vejh
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:04 AM
You know, as a fan of both girls for so many years now, I can't imagine why they consistently lie about certain things that are a certainty, specifically, their injuries. How many times did Serena say at the USO that her knee was fine? Even when her dad said she was hurting? I can understanding wanting to downplay the fact, but why say it blatantly isn't so? I guess one can say that one can't let the enemy in on these things.. But, after denying for so long, so long, even after the USO, if I'm not mistaken, now she says so. Whatever. got that off my chest. I hope that knee is in great condition. I really worry about it. And I worry more that she puts even more stress on it by increasing in weight, and perhaps not training it as she could. Hey, I give Venus more credit in the training department; I don't trust Serena in that arena at all.lol.

dreamgoddess099
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Bull shit. I've been watching tennis for a long time and a player has yet to match the ability of Serena Williams. No one has passed Serena Williams, and no one will. This is the woman who, in her prime, managed to win all four slams in a row, and was able to hit winners off of other potential winners from her opponents.

Preach.:worship: Truth is NOBODY since has measured up to what Serena was able to accomplish, so to say players are capable producing of a higher level of tennis than her is just plain stupid, especially when none of them have come close to showing it. I just find it so interesting that people can still question what Serena can do when she has proved so much, but have so much faith in the abilities of those who have accomplished so much less. That really makes sense.

40-0
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:25 AM
nO venus for AO? oh its gonna suck major ass

Fedcup
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:43 AM
yeh! none of the top 5 have a winning record against her.

not difficult...most of Top-5 started their career later.
So the top-5 weren't at their top at the moment they met Serena.
And after that Serena wasn't their when they were ready to compete/beat her.

nhissan
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Serena FTW !!!

Sexysova
Jan 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I think, she won't to be No.1 - Mauresmo, Sharapova, Clijsters, Henin etc. are better players :) and VAIDISOVA ;)

RenaSlam.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
I think, she won't to be No.1 - Mauresmo, Sharapova, Clijsters, Henin etc. are better players :) and VAIDISOVA ;)

:wavey: :bitchslap:

Craigy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:56 PM
:cool:

acetoace
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:16 PM
fit and healthy serena is better than any other the players right now

and, yes, she will win more slams

and, yes, she will regain No.1 spot again

I agree.....she sure can and she will!!!

Paneru
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
IMO, I'd actually be surprised if Serena didn't reach
No.1 at some point this year considering her desire,
intent, and level of play. That is assuming ofcourse
she can remain relatively healthy.

Not to mention, that she has nothing in points
to defend until Cincy. That's two Slams, and a
host of Tier I throuh IV's open to her.