PDA

View Full Version : Serena sure of regaining top spot

Mina Vagante
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Serena sure of regaining top spot

Seven-time Grand Slam winner Serena Williams says she has "no doubt" she will be world number one again after a string of knee and ankle injuries.
The American, who is preparing for the Australian Open, said she is confident she will reverse her injury-enforced slide to 95th in the world rankings.

"There's no doubt about it. It's just a matter of time. I'm definitely on my way," said the 25-year-old.

Williams has won the Australian Open twice, in 2003 and 2005.

The first-round draw for this year's tournament takes place on 12 January, with the tournament starting on 15 January.

Williams is preparing for the tournament by competing in the Hobart International in Tasmania, where her first-round opponent is Sweden's Sofia Arvidsson.

The Hobart International is one of several events in Australia this week which act as warm-ups for the Melbourne tournament.
Serena sure of regaining top spot

Mina Vagante
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6236551.stm

her normal confident self

Ntour
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM
tell her she's dreaming

Markus
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:11 AM
so let's the fight getting started again. 10 pages at least :devil:

Dexter
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:11 AM
maybe she has to win a couple of titles and score a couple of wins over Top10 players first to have 'no doubts' :confused:

Mina Vagante
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM
dreams can come true- and it will:fiery:

Andy.
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM
At least she has the desire and ambition which is great to see. Good luck in Australia Serena

LefandePatty
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM
:rocker2:

Ben.
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM
she is pretty confident from what i'm hearing but to truly confirm that confidence she needs a lot matches & a lot of titles & top 10 wins to do that. she is capable of doing it.

Ntour
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM
dreams can come true- and it will:fiery:

camille pin is probably dreaming of winning a slam, it will never happen

maybe serena should aim for top 50 then work her way up

Mina Vagante
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:17 AM

she can easily get into top 20, then she can win another slam

santhuruu
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM
As long as she stays healthy that's the only thing I have to say about this.

PLP
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Well, this quote is rather open-ended, we don't even know the exact question that was asked?!

Anyway, I am psyched that she is playing again and wish her the best in Australia!!! :wavey:

LindsRox!
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Serena's just stating the obvious. Of course she's going to be Number 1 again. It's a matter of when, not if. I wouldn't be surprised if she won the Australian Open. It goes without saying she's going to win Hobart.

jazar
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM
at least she still has a sense of humour

Stamp Paid
Jan 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Weve been hearing this for two years now. Why do reporters even ask her tht question, do they expect her to say anything short of "Of course I'll be number 1 again,"?

KimC&MariaSNo1's
good to hear

Mina Vagante
yeh a sense of hunour and a realistic one at that!

supergrunt
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Serena isn't Camille Pin . She is Serena Williams.

PatrickRyan
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:12 AM
She needs to get in shape to dominate again

LudwigDvorak
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I wish Venus would go back to the top. I like her more.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:31 AM
of course she thinks it. That's the reason why she plays because she still thinks she can be the best. If she didn't she would just retire. It's no surprise to hear Serena say this!

raquel
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:32 AM
It's great to hear Serena talking like this. It means the desire is still there. Maybe the majority of people think she's dreaming or has no chance but a fit Serena is still one of the world's best.

When she first started she made a lot of ambitious statements and some people called her arrogant, but she walked the walk. She could do it again. Go Serena :D

GQGuy1
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:50 AM
at least she still has a sense of humour

Do have any favorites you would like to wager or are you here just to shoot your mouth off since your favorites don't have the talent that Serena has. Sounds a little like jealousy to me.

MatchpointPRT
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Lol! Thats why she won´t be number 1 again... This over confidence will play against her and when she stars losing matches the fall will hurt even more... and it will be difficult to regain confidence each time that happens

mykarma
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:51 AM
maybe she has to win a couple of titles and score a couple of wins over Top10 players first to have 'no doubts' :confused:
Why should she?:shrug: She didn't say she'd be #1 next month.

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Do it, Ree.

GrandSlam05
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:55 AM
I wish Venus would go back to the top. I like her more.

I don't think Venus's body can handle the kind of schedule it would take to get back to #1. She just can't keep from getting re-injured.

PatrickRyan
Jan 7th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Ree held the #1 spot for 1 year and 2 months, theres no doubt in my mind that she can do it agian. But it's gonna take some hard work :)