PDA

View Full Version : Wildcards??

Jorn
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I know its early, but will Caroline Wozniacki as Junior winner last year, get a Maindraw or Quali Wildcard?

Anyway good to know she's in, so we don't have to wait as in AO! :wavey:

jamatthews
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up and expect a MD WC, but it wouldn't surprise me if the All England Club did give her a WC. May depend on how she does in the 1st half of the year though. It may also depend on the performances off the up and coming Brits, and how generous/stingy they are with the likes of Anne, Amanda, Sarah and Katie.

Early days but here was the list of WCs I predicted in a thread in Strawberries and Cream.

Amy Frazier
Melanie South
Georgie Stoop
Naomi Cavaday
Elena Baltacha
Playoff Winner (Naomi Broady)
Caroline Wozniacki
Yan Zi

papru
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I know its early, but will Caroline Wozniacki as Junior winner last year, get a Maindraw or Quali Wildcard?

Anyway good to know she's in, so we don't have to wait as in AO! :wavey:

Caro should receive a MD WC since she will be able to make the qualies with her own ranking :D
The same situation was with Aga last year :)

btw. do you think it's possible for Ula to receive a Q WC (junior semifinalist 2006) :sad:

Europe rocks
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
Mel, Sarah, Georgie and Naomi should all get wildcards - neither have had 3 wildcards yet
Amanda could get one as well, if she breaks into the top 200, which she could do soon
Anne and Katie would probably get them as well, as they are two of our top players
Caroline should have a wildcard as she won the juniors last year

Iceland
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:15 PM
Caroline won't need a WC.:)

Petkorazzi
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:43 PM
I wish they give Tatishvili at least a qualie WC.. she could have entered two days ago but she lost yesterday to krajicek in miami, and had 2nd round to defend so she will fall many places now!

Dexter
Mar 24th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I wish they give Tatishvili at least a qualie WC.. she could have entered two days ago but she lost yesterday to krajicek in miami, and had 2nd round to defend so she will fall many places now!:tape: :help: :o

Escape
Mar 24th, 2007, 12:57 AM
There's more chance of me getting a WC than Tatishvili :lol:

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 24th, 2007, 01:34 AM
I wouldn't get your hopes up and expect a MD WC, but it wouldn't surprise me if the All England Club did give her a WC. May depend on how she does in the 1st half of the year though. It may also depend on the performances off the up and coming Brits, and how generous/stingy they are with the likes of Anne, Amanda, Sarah and Katie.

Early days but here was the list of WCs I predicted in a thread in Strawberries and Cream.

Amy Frazier
Melanie South
Georgie Stoop
Naomi Cavaday
Elena Baltacha
Playoff Winner (Naomi Broady)
Caroline Wozniacki
Yan Zi

So Anne and Katie will be in Qualies :eek:

I dont agree!

Broady wont win play off if Anne, Sarah, Amanda and Katie have to play like you think.

jamatthews
Mar 24th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Broady won't win because she's not in good form, not because the top girls might be playing. I made these predictions at the beginning of the year, and alot has changed since then. There will be more changes by the time the decisions are made too.

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 25th, 2007, 01:24 AM
sorry - didnt look at the date :o

CooCooCachoo
Mar 26th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Ask for one :angel:

Drake1980
Mar 29th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Amy Frazier?

jamatthews
Mar 29th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Amy Frazier?

Retired

-sugi-
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I wish they give Tatishvili at least a qualie WC.. she could have entered two days ago but she lost yesterday to krajicek in miami, and had 2nd round to defend so she will fall many places now!
:tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: x999999recurring

That made me laugh.

CooCooCachoo
Mar 30th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Retired

She hasn't retired yet, right? :shrug:

jamatthews
Mar 30th, 2007, 04:13 PM
She hasn't retired yet, right? :shrug:

I thought someone had confirmed it? (Raymond?)

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I thought someone had confirmed it? (Raymond?)

yep but nothing from amy herself

Europe rocks
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:34 AM

Well they did give a qualifying wildcard to Ivana Abramovic last year, so there is a chance Anna could get it :tape: :lol:

-sugi-
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Well they did give a qualifying wildcard to Ivana Abramovic last year, so there is a chance Anna could get it :tape: :lol:
To be fair, Abramovic did qualify for the Main Draw and lost to Mauresmo ;)

jamatthews
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM
To be fair, Abramovic did qualify for the Main Draw and lost to Mauresmo ;)

It was very nice of you to say she lost to Mauresmo. There were other words that could have been used to describe that match. :p

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
It was very nice of you to say she lost to Mauresmo. There were other words that could have been used to describe that match. :p

:lol: :lol: :lol:

-sugi-
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:19 AM
True ;) But I doubt Tatishvili would win 3 qually matches like Abramovic :lol:

Elwin.
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I hope that in Mixed Doubles: Michaella Krajicek and Richard Krajicek will get a wildcard. They have tried 2 times, but first Misa was injured and then Richard.

I so hope they will get a wildcard, especcialy for Misa. She want this so much.

Randy H
Apr 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM
This year is going to be really tough to pick, because there are so many Brits with close rankings at the moment

At the moment, I'd say:

1. Naomi Cavaday (great form this year, still very young)
2. Melanie South (dreadful form this year, but she won a round last year over Schiavone, and it would only be her second MD WC)
3. Sarah Borwell (patchy form, but again, would only be her second MD WC, and she beat Domachowska last year)
4. Georgie Stoop (never received a MD WC before, has made big strides in her ranking and result improvement)
5. Katie O'Brien (second ranked Brit, has had a few chances before but really should have won over Garbin last year...one more freebie chance)

After that, it's kind of tough...I don't see Frazier coming back at this point, if she hadn't retired I really think she would have played in the States this year by now for Memphis, Indian Wells, Miami, or even some of the bigger challengers that were close to home (St. Paul, Midland). So I'm not going to take her into consideration...I also think Wozniacki will manage to get in on her own, and given the tough competition for Brit WC's this year I'm not sure they are going to be willing to sacrifice a main draw WC to lagging veterans...*Maybe* Lisa Raymond.

The last 3 choices as far as Brits go would seem like Keothavong, Keen, and Baltacha...I'd like to see them all get in, but I think at least one of them may have to do so through a play-off. Keen has only had 2 MD WC's, but she's also the oldest of them and has not had the career high's of Anne or Elena, but I'd like to see them give her one more shot given how well she's done to come back over the past 12 months. Elena has had injuries, she's won rounds before, and I think she could do with a helping hand. Anne for me is probably the least deserving, but it's hard to pass up a WC to the country's #1 player...So it's really up in the air! Maybe they'll all get one ;)

I hope Brenda Schultz-McCarthy gets a WC even if it's for qualifying in case she doesn't get her ranking high enough on time, she showed last year at s'Hertogenbosch that she can still do some damage on grass :yeah:

jamatthews
Apr 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM
It would be Sarah's 3rd (lost to Perry in 2005).

Thanks for your analysis...

Randy H
Apr 15th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Whoops, thanks for the correction ;) I'll still keep her as my 3rd choice, simply because I do think if it hadn't been for the injury issues she'd be ranked even higher than where she is right now

jamatthews
Apr 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Whoops, thanks for the correction ;) I'll still keep her as my 3rd choice, simply because I do think if it hadn't been for the injury issues she'd be ranked even higher than where she is right now

I definitely agree with that. In fact I was very impressed at how well she came back from those injuries in the US.

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 15th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Its so tough this season :unsure:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 17th, 2007, 07:34 AM
This year is going to be really tough to pick, because there are so many Brits with close rankings at the moment

At the moment, I'd say:

2. Melanie South (dreadful form this year, but she won a round last year over Schiavone, and it would only be her second MD WC)
3. Sarah Borwell (patchy form, but again, would only be her second MD WC, and she beat Domachowska last year)
4. Georgie Stoop (never received a MD WC before, has made big strides in her ranking and result improvement)
5. Katie O'Brien (second ranked Brit, has had a few chances before but really should have won over Garbin last year...one more freebie chance)

After that, it's kind of tough...I don't see Frazier coming back at this point, if she hadn't retired I really think she would have played in the States this year by now for Memphis, Indian Wells, Miami, or even some of the bigger challengers that were close to home (St. Paul, Midland). So I'm not going to take her into consideration...I also think Wozniacki will manage to get in on her own, and given the tough competition for Brit WC's this year I'm not sure they are going to be willing to sacrifice a main draw WC to lagging veterans...*Maybe* Lisa Raymond.

The last 3 choices as far as Brits go would seem like Keothavong, Keen, and Baltacha...I'd like to see them all get in, but I think at least one of them may have to do so through a play-off. Keen has only had 2 MD WC's, but she's also the oldest of them and has not had the career high's of Anne or Elena, but I'd like to see them give her one more shot given how well she's done to come back over the past 12 months. Elena has had injuries, she's won rounds before, and I think she could do with a helping hand. Anne for me is probably the least deserving, but it's hard to pass up a WC to the country's #1 player...So it's really up in the air! Maybe they'll all get one ;)

I hope Brenda Schultz-McCarthy gets a WC even if it's for qualifying in case she doesn't get her ranking high enough on time, she showed last year at s'Hertogenbosch that she can still do some damage on grass :yeah:

Great post. Strange year for in tennis for the British women....there actually has been some progress and alot more players looking semi-deserving of places than usual. Like you, the two players I'd most like to see get a wildcard are Brenda Schultz-McCarthy and Amanda Keen.

Caroline still has to pull her ranking up a few points to ensure direct entry too. I think she will do that. Obviously she belongs in the main draw and if she needs a wildcard she should get one but with so many eligable candidates this it would be much better for all concerned if she can get their on her ranking.

ZAK
May 17th, 2007, 10:01 PM
My ideas.

MD:
1. Keothavong- not top 150 but how can you leave your number one out?
2. South
3. Keen
4. Borwell
5. Stoop
6. Cavaday
7. O'Brien- simliar to Keothavong
8. Baltacha/Wozniacki

They first 7 are all ranked pretty high, all things considered, so I don't know who Caro would replace. And then you have Baltacha coming back from an injury

QD
1. Llewellyn
2. O'Donoghue
3. Curtis
4. Khan
5. Paterson
6. Smith
7. Fitzpatrick
8. Moore/Schultz-McCarthy

Brenda better get a WC, but you never know.

gumoll
May 17th, 2007, 10:51 PM
last year they gave one to Aga and she was in 4th round

Wozniacki will get probably direct into MD

and if not, they should give her a MD WC :D

fred17
May 18th, 2007, 09:53 AM
please a md wc to brenda :)

croat123
May 24th, 2007, 06:11 PM
lucic has asked for a wc according to her sister :woohoo:
hopefully it's for q

Farina Elia Fan
May 24th, 2007, 10:50 PM
lucic has asked for a wc according to her sister :woohoo:
hopefully it's for q

interesting - im sure she will get an MD one

CrossCourt~Rally
May 25th, 2007, 05:32 AM
please a md wc to brenda :)

Yes, hopefully Brenda will recieve a well deserved MD WC :D :bounce:

WIMBY
May 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM

At the moment, I'd say:

Great post, well thought out, taking into account who has had wild cards in the past and how many.

On ranking, my choice of top Brits

Anne
Melanie
Katie
Amanda
Sarah
Georgie
Naomi
Bally

Will depend how everyone does in the other grass tournaments I should think.

fred17
May 25th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Yes, hopefully Brenda will recieve a well deserved MD WC :D :bounce:

especially because all british players suck, and they should qualify :rolleyes:

Cat's Pajamas
May 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
1. Naomi Cavaday - Britain's best hope and some great results on the ITF level.
2&3. Sarah Borwell and Melanie South - pretty bad results this year, don't seem deserving but they won rounds last year sooo...
4. Anne Keothavong - Had lots of WC's in the past but she's Britian's #1 and has some good results on the ITF level.
5. Georgie Stoop - Has had some very progressive results lately and seems to be a good player in the making.
6. Amanda Keen - has a great serve and volley game for the grass, could do well if she got a good first match.
7. Elena Baltacha - One of the more talented Brits, coming back from injury and having good results in the ITF's in Asia.
8. WC Winner - O'Brien is the second highest ranked Brit but like her compatriots, having less than amazing results lately. :o If she wants to prove herself than she can try to win the Playoff :shrug:

Just Do It
May 25th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I can smell Jelena Dokic will get QWC ... of course if the lady wants to play :)

Juanes
May 26th, 2007, 08:07 PM
if will be Caroline Wozniacki in MD... then will get WCQ second last year Magda Rybarikova??? or who? while Wozniacki ranking is good and she dont need WCQ ...

ZAK
May 27th, 2007, 05:33 PM
if will be Caroline Wozniacki in MD... then will get WCQ second last year Magda Rybarikova??? or who? while Wozniacki ranking is good and she dont need WCQ ...

Its not a guarantee that they'll give it to the runner-up, but its a possibility

Ballbasher
May 27th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Is it possible that Olivia Scarfi gets a QD WC?

Jorn
May 31st, 2007, 06:07 PM
last year they gave one to Aga and she was in 4th round

Wozniacki will get probably direct into MD

and if not, they should give her a MD WC :D
Caroline will not be Direct in Maindraw, too far out...

Does they userly give Last years Junior winner Maindraw WC or Quali WC?
(In Caro's Forum here they mean just quali WC...)

jamatthews
May 31st, 2007, 06:19 PM
Bondarenko got a qualifying WC in 2005, but I think they were going to give Krajicek (who was around the same ranking as Wozniacki is at the moment) a MD WC before she got injured. Radwanska got a MD WC in 2006.

With Wozniacki's ranking, and the fact they gave her a qualifying WC last year I'd say it's very likely they'll give her a MD WC. Having said that, who knows what the All England Club will decide. :shrug:

StephenUK
Jun 6th, 2007, 12:15 AM
What's the matter with Georgie Stoop? Is she ill/injured and does that mean she is out of Wimbledon?

Presumably, her absence would clear the way for usual suspect WCs:
Keothavong - GB No 1
Baltacha - on a comeback, best Wimbledon record
Cavaday - most promising youngster, rising fast in rankings, Fed Cup team, won playoff last year and performed creditably v Sugiyama
South - beat Schiavone last year and seems to have turned the corner after a disastrous start to 2007
Borwell - also reached 2r last year
O'Brien - British number 2, good chance of WC now play-off scrapped
Wozniacki - most likely foreign WC as ex-junior winner and close to cut-off
That leaves one place for a play-off, surely it can't go to Cara Black again, although the Wimbledon committee just adores 'ex-colonials', they're probably all relics of the Delhi Durbar themselves!!

CooCooCachoo
Jun 6th, 2007, 06:16 AM
I spoke to Brenda last weekend and she doesn't know anything yet. If she doesn't get a (Q)WC or get into qualies with her rank, she will play Rosmalen instead.

WIMBY
Jun 6th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Georgie has a cast on her foot, stress fracture :sad:

Melanie defeated Brianti at Surbiton yesterday ranked 87 :bounce:

Europe rocks
Jun 10th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Well Georgie has been out since the end of April, so even if she did get the cast off soon I don't think she will be ready for Wimbledon :sad:

Jorn
Jun 11th, 2007, 01:11 PM
When are the Wildcards out?

Somebody post that the Wildcards will be known Monday, today or next Monday and what time? anybody know?

jamatthews
Jun 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I think they should announced be later today, probably tomorrow at the latest.

WIMBY
Jun 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Committee meets today ......................

Jorn
Jun 11th, 2007, 06:40 PM
News just in, Caroline has got a MD Wildcard!

Wozniacki indtager Wimbledon

11-06-07: 19:25 | af: Finn T. Jensen
Danmarks bedste kvindelige tennisspiller, Caroline Wozniacki, har mandag få*et wild card til sin spæde karrieres anden Grand Slam turnering, idet hun er inviteret til at deltage i årets Wimbledon, som starter den 25. juni.

No more news about others...

Petkorazzi
Jun 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM
:woohoo:

jamatthews
Jun 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
As expected, good luck to her.

David Barker
Jun 11th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Anne K, Bally, Naomi Cav and Mel South are in MD thks to WC's.:)

AaronJoyB
Jun 11th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Other WC?

WIMBY
Jun 11th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Anne, Bally, Naomi, Melanie, good luck :bounce:

jamatthews
Jun 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Bally and Naomi were no brainers, Anne was likely but I really think she should have chosen to play in qualifying. If she gets another 1st round loss she should be kicking herself for not picking up points in qualifying. Good for Melanie, she's got the weapons to be dangerous again, and she's got some confidence back. Plus, that Fedak loss is not looking quite as bad after today (although it was still a bad collapse).

I'm torn on the lack of WC for Katie. The selfish side of me wanted to watch her play on interactive, but she'll have a better chance of picking up points in qualifying.

Jorn
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:02 PM
5 known MD Wildcards, do they have 8 or 10?

Ithink we'll wait for tomorrow when they will post all wildcards...

Darran
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:10 PM
7 out of 8 decided:

Baltacha
South
Keothavong
Cavaday
Kutozova
Pavlyuchenkova
Wozniacki

AaronJoyB
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM
nice choices

fred17
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:14 PM
kutuzova :eek: why not brenda?

ZAK
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I would understand no Brenda if they gave them to all British girls, but why Kutuzova over Brenda?

CooCooCachoo
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Borwell will be gutted.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:26 PM
7 out of 8 decided:

Baltacha
South
Keothavong
Cavaday
Kutozova
Pavlyuchenkova
Wozniacki

Kutozova???!!!??? Is that some kind of bad joke? What the hell has Kutozova done to deserve a Wimbledon maindraw Wildcard. She has won only won single maindraw match at Wimbledon in her career and in that match her opponent retired injured. That is the only maindraw win on grass in her career. If they wanted to give a young East European a WC, (and they did also give one to Pavlyuchenkova anyway) there are many many others in much better form who would have been far more deserving. But really the person who should have got that Wildcard is Brenda Schultz and everyone knows it. :mad:

Jorn
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Nastya IN :)

JAMESYBABY!
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:58 PM
kutusova wtf bad bad choice there may be a few connections with her and the lta :help:

i bet if there still a wild card to be annonced i bet its between katie or sarah i think personally borwell should gt one she has point to defend.

4 women and 5 men hardly fair the women should complain :help:

Derek.
Jun 11th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Nastya got a MD WC? :eek: :banana:

Jorn
Jun 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM
4 women and 5 men hardly fair the women should complain

Ithink a Brit doing great in the warmups will get the Last MD WC, so Lucic and Brenda S-M etc. can hope for quali WCs.

paul_masterton
Jun 11th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Qualifying Ladies’ Singles
Sarah BORWELL (GBR)
Natasha KHAN (GBR)
Tatiana PEREBIYNIS (UKR)
Magdalena RYBARIKOVA (SVK)
Brenda SCHULTZ-MCCARTHY (NED)
From play-offs
From play-offs
TBC

Randy H
Jun 11th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Why on earth was Kutuzova given a WC, complete waste :rolleyes:
Even Pavlyuchenkova's a bit of a stretch for me, qualifying would have been more reasonable, but can understand it better than Vika anyway...

Kind of sad that Sarah's not been given a main draw WC with the points she's defending, but more sad because it would be a good financial aid even to get the main draw 1st round cash. Still, I hope that she can get through a round or 2 in qualies with the right draw.

Was hoping Brenda would get a MD WC too, because she's shown good form on grass, and now she's going to be at odds with playing s'Hertogenbosch, but hope she makes the most of the opportunity.

Monica_Rules
Jun 11th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I think Sarah will have a better chance in qualifying to pick up some points. She may even qualify as may Katie.

Randy H
Jun 11th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I'm a little surprised they haven't just given the final WC to Katie? The other Brit girls are all either assured qualifying WC's now, or involved in the play-off for qualifying WC's...Who else could they be holding out on for the final one?

WIMBY
Jun 11th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Possibly holding the last wild card for after Eastbourne?

Sarah, Katie and Brenda could all qualify.

tobi
Jun 11th, 2007, 11:23 PM
MD WC to Kutuzova? Disappointing.

Sarah BORWELL (GBR)
Natasha KHAN (GBR)
Tatiana PEREBIYNIS (UKR)
From play-offs
From play-offs
TBC
Magda geting quite a lot of WCs lately.

She got few to $50K even Main draws.

Hope she can use her WC though her form isnt good coming into this

paul_masterton
Jun 11th, 2007, 11:27 PM
now that wildcards are out, and there is an entry list on official site. is it allowed to update the original list we have on page 7 with changes?

tobi
Jun 11th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I already updated it Paul.

Juanes
Jun 12th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Sarah BORWELL (GBR)
Natasha KHAN (GBR)
Tatiana PEREBIYNIS (UKR)
From play-offs
From play-offs
TBC

good luck Magda... :kiss:

Just Do It
Jun 12th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Dokic :sobbing:

Playballk
Jun 13th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Possibly holding the last wild card for after Eastbourne?

Sarah, Katie and Brenda could all qualify.

If they give out of the final wildcard after Eastbourne it will be to someone outside the top 200 to 225 because most of the players ranked between 110 and 225 will be competing in the Wimbledon Qualies next week.