PDA

View Full Version : Mark my Word Dementieva will win a GS this year.

GQGuy1
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I think Dementieva is finally ready to win a GS this year. I personally don't see why she hasn't won one already. She has about the same amount of talent as Maria, Serena, Venus, Kim, Kuzy, Myskina, Justine, and Momo. So I making a bet that Dementieva will win a slam this year.

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:11 PM
jinx :tape:

vwfan
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:12 PM
ok.;)
but doesn't she have losing h2hs against all those players with whom you have just asserted that she equals in talent!

i actually like elena's game, and it's not impossible. afterall, who would ever have thought that mauresmo would win a slam. certainly, not me. glad she did, but i wouldn't have put any money on it.

Ryan
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Uh, what? Why hasn't she won one already? I wont even go into her serve, it's well established as the worst liability on tour. I dont see HOW she's more "ready" now than in 2004, or 2005. If anything I think she's regressed, her serve used to be improving and now she cant even make a GS semifinal (based on '06 form). The only place I could see it happening is the US Open, and it wont be this year.

miffedmax
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I've been predicting a slam for Lena since 2001, so I hope you're better at predicting than I am!

However, win lose or draw Lena D. f-ing rocks and I'll support her no matter what.

plantman
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM
It's a possibility! With the help of a nice draw anything can happen. Her serve is improving and that's been her only weakness. If she can improve on it even more, :) !

jamatthews
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM
She won't win a slam because she won't win 7 matches in a row.

Her best shot at a big title is at the YEC where she can have an absolutely appalling match in the RR and still make it through. (1 bad match not 3 a year)

Vacant
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I don't believe you.

The Daviator
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM
First of all, just cos you say it doesn't mean it'll happen (been there, done that :tape: ), but I would like it to happen :yeah:

!<blocparty>!
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Her best shot is at the YEC

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Viktymise
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM
The form i saw her in against Vaidiosova and Sharapova in HK this week is promising. She can still go toe to toe with anyone from the back and can hit the :eek: winners. Her serve has improved over the off season no doubt. Its more consistent and she still looks trmendously fit and strong. In a slam she needs to a bit of luck to get her past the 1st couple of rounds which can be for her a struggle as she takes time to get her rhythm. As long as she believes and has confidence she is a threat and id put her near the top 5 contenders for AO right now :)

SpankMe
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM
At the rate the other top seeds are dropping out of tournaments she probably will :eek:

kinglear
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:37 PM
ok.;) it's not impossible. afterall, who would ever have thought that mauresmo would win a slam. certainly, not me. glad she did, but i wouldn't have put any money on it.

It is definitely not impossible for Lena to win a slam, even if it's not 2007, it could be 2008. When it's the right time, it will happen. One thing that is imperative for her to do is work on her serve. I know all about how she had a shoulder injury and had to toss the ball a certain way and slice it, but I think all she needs to do is practice. And of course we know she practices, but I honestly think she plays so much tennis each year that she doesn't have the proper time to develop her serve. She can't really practice serve during tournaments because the time in between matches is surely not enough. Trust me, if Roddick and Sharapova had never developed their serves and just relied on their groundstrokes then they would get nervous and double fault a bunch of times. That's how I see it. She needs to make that committement. As much as I hate to say this, I think she'll need to take some time off. Maybe even several months and just practice all day. :) haha She might have to just lay low for a few months and come back with an even bigger game.

Il Primo!
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Holy shit, always the same damm threads. She was supposed to win all the US Opens and RGs since 2004 :yawn:
Be sure it ain't going to happen, thanks God

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Sorry to disappoint you but she won't :shrug:

Kipling
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I think Dementieva is finally ready to win a GS this year.

A grand slam what?

Denny's has "Grand Slam Breakfast" for about 4.99 U.S., I think. She might win one of those...

Viktymise
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Holy shit, always the same damm threads. She was supposed to win all the US Opens and RGs since 2004 :yawn:

What makes you so sure it aint gonna happen, she has shown time and time again in her career the moment people write her off she comes back even better, i can give soooo many instances in her career where that has happened, on her day she can beat anyone and she may get her chance someday to be on her day in a GS final

No Name Face
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:43 PM

don't you get tired of the same diatribe?

-----

anyway, i really hope this is her year, but i'm not as optimistic as i once was.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:43 PM
who will her doubles partner be? :lol:

jkz

I dunno if she will.

ce
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:46 PM
no way,she isnt consistent enough,she cant beat players like sharapova,kim,mauresmo in a row

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:48 PM
What makes you so sure it aint gonna happen, she has shown time and time again in her career the moment people write her off she comes back even better, i can give soooo many instances in her career where that has happened, on her day she can beat anyone and she may get her chance someday to be on her day in a GS final

Well you're right but she needs more than one 'her day' to win a GS and as far as I can remember Dementieva has never played two great matches in a row in a GS

Lefty.
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I think she can, but she needs to have more on days and fewer off days. And I would like to see less three setters in opening rounds. :)

Il Primo!
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:56 PM
don't you get tired of the same diatribe?

Do I mesmerize you? It seems like stalking me became an habit. Ignore me, please

She cant even win tourneys (I think she has 5 or 6 ) so.. Plus she doesn't have neither the game nor the mental to realise it. That's all. It's clear to me.

Ferosh
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:57 PM
:unsure:

morningglory
Jan 5th, 2007, 05:58 PM
If Justine does not play RG... then maybe, just maybe...

GQGuy1
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:09 PM
At the rate the other top seeds are dropping out of tournaments she probably will :eek:

Well that's how Maria win her's or through easy draws.

Neptune
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I can't see it happened!

But If Jelena is favorite for the title...........Why not Dementieva? :lol:

kinglear
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I can't see it happened!

But If Jelena is favorite for the title...........Why not Dementieva? :lol:

Maybe because Jelena has just recently experienced success and she's on roll. It seems like Lena has been playing for so long.

Dexter
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:31 PM
now that Justine's out... I wouldn't mind her winning AO.

Neptune
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Maybe because Jelena has just recently experienced success and she's on roll. It seems like Lena has been playing for so long.

That's too early for Jelena and too late for Dementieva.A question of timing for the both.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I wanna bet that she won't win a slam this year. I really think that Sharapova is gonna rule 2007.

jazar
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM
she won't win a slam. she is a very good player but she doesnt quite have it in her to win a slam yet. she still needs to make her serve into more of a weapon, so she can set up the point easier and quicker. if she does this she will be able to win matches easier and expend less energy in getting to the latter stages of tournaments, then she will have a better chance as she will be fresher.

but this year won't be her year

drake3781
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I think Dementieva is finally ready to win a GS this year. I personally don't see why she hasn't won one already. She has about the same amount of talent as Maria, Serena, Venus, Kim, Kuzy, Myskina, Justine, and Momo. So I making a bet that Dementieva will win a slam this year.

I don't see any bet. I will bet you as much vCash as you want on it. Too bad you only have $98. :rolleyes:

Want to bet $1000 vCash with me; payable after USO?

That means you better start saving up now!!

jonny84
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I hope so.

Can see it being the US Open out of all the slams.

GQGuy1
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I don't see any bet. I will bet you as much vCash as you want on it. Too bad you only have $98. :rolleyes:

Want to bet $1000 vCash with me; payable after USO?

That means you better start saving up now!!

I know one thing the girl in your avatar ain't winning nothing.:lol:

dizoo
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
i think it's really really hard...but not impossible!
she's been to GS finals...she could have won....so it's definitely not impossible..it's a matter of she keeping her ball in during the match

Mina Vagante
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM
she may well do!

-VSR-
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:28 PM
:lol:

I<3Myskina
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I think it can happen. If she's player her absolute best for two weeks straight, gets the right draw ect. I think either French or US Open. She's not the best on grass by far and her AO record is pretty crap.

But, i'd love to see her win one! She deserves it so much!

Geertvg
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:39 PM
She will beat Müller in the semi and Pin in the final? ;)

DevilishAttitude
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Sorry, but we had this in 2006, 2005 and 2004... :rolleyes:

It never happened.

Elena had her chance at US Open 2004, and failed. You don't get those chances again. And look at how she performed at slams this year. Crushed by Sharapova and Jankovic! :lol: And dismal against Schruff and Peer.

And her serve, that always supposedly gets better. It will never be good, it will always be a issue.

But it's not the serve, it's the mental side that kills Elena, and that is why I think she will never win a slam.

Helen Lawson
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I'd be happy for her if she did, but who knows if it will happen. I think Max from another thread is right, she needs to ditch Mom as the coach. I've seen them many, many times, she seems more like a ball-retriever during practice/confidant than a real coach, she doesn't bird-dog other girls' matches or anything. Petrova took her game to another level when she got a new coach, "another level" for Lena D could be that elusive major.

And is it just me lol at people now using Amelie as the standard for like winning slams? I'm thrilled for her, really, well deserved and such a great game and really can be the standard, it's not that she's not the standard, but a year ago the whole board was all "Chokomomo" and she was a big loser and stuff. Hell, it was still that until Wimbledon SIX months ago! Tennis is a fickle world!

No Name Face
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Do I mesmerize you? It seems like stalking me became an habit. Ignore me, please

no, you just post in all elena threads even though you don't like her. newsflash: we know.

She cant even win tourneys (I think she has 5 or 6 ) so.. Plus she doesn't have neither the game nor the mental to realise it. That's all. It's clear to me.

so what? she's made two grand slam finals. that takes lots of guts. plus she's beat your girl more than once (once in straights). so i fail to see how she doesn't have the game to win a big one. she just needs some luck.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:05 PM
If Gaudio and Johansson can , anyone can

IMPOSSIBLE
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:06 PM
i think at AO or RG

Good Luck Lena

A'DAM
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I would be very happy if that happens but honestly naaaahhhhh will never happen' :o

Josh.
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:14 PM
agreed.

Minotaur
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Hello!

I'm not really her fan but i like her and cheer for her.

Anyway Lena has got several weaknesses except her serve.

First of all, her mentality. Her level of play depends on how her opponent performs. She can play 3-setters both with top players and let's say position 90 in the rating. She can't win on class like for example Sharapova and Clijsters, she always fights. It's like she fights for the sake to fight.

Second. Her game plans are truely limited. She does the same thing every match. She tries to reach every ball and return it. She overuses it. Over and over. Her opponents know what to expekt from Lena BEFORE the match starts. Actually this is a serious blow.

Well, Lena is very speedy player with good shots on both wings and very good return but... as you see it has not been enough to win a single GS.

So as declared in this thread she just can't win 7 matches in a row.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I would like that as well... But I don't think so :awww:

LH2HBH
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Mark my words she won't be past the semi-final stage of any GS this year and she will win no more than 3 titles and no more than 1 Tier I event.

Sorry - ask the bookmakers to match my predictions to yours and see where the money goes.

WIMBLY2004
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Haven't people got tired of this joke? :yawn:

Derek.
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Every year people say this. :zzz:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I repeat ...

ANYONE CAN WIN A MAJOR .

How many years have watching tennis ?

It seems that less than 3 years :tape:

Derek.
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I repeat ...

ANYONE CAN WIN A MAJOR .

Camille Pin cannot win a major. :wavey:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Camille Pin cannot win a major. :wavey:

Obviously top players :)

goldenlox
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:18 PM
You never know which major is going to open up.
Without Justine, this one might. RG might too.
It doesn't mean Lena will take advantage, but she's beaten everyone else in the top 10, it's a matter of when.

LUXXXAS
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:23 PM
It will be an end of tennis if a player with such a shitty serve will win grand slam tournament... especially if she wins Wimbledon :tape::tape: :tape:
PLEASE NOOOO!!! :bolt:

Neptune
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM
I repeat ...

ANYONE CAN WIN A MAJOR .

It seems that less than 3 years :tape:

Be realistic,With this serve,Lena can't never win a major.

Even though she tries hard,it won't happen.

goldenlox
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:34 PM
She made 2 finals, both in the last 11 majors. View it this way, Sharapova made 1 final in the last 9 majors.
What you need is an open draw, and then get into a zone in week 2.
There is no superstar on the tour who is unbeatable.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:38 PM
it would be nice. she deserves it.

Neptune
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:51 PM
She made 2 finals, both in the last 11 majors. View it this way, Sharapova made 1 final in the last 9 majors.
What you need is an open draw, and then get into a zone in week 2.

There is no need to compare Lena and Masha.

Lena played Two finals but struggled both time.And her serve was crappy.

That's sad for her but she can't confront with the top players (Kim,Masha,Amelie and Justine).

goldenlox
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:00 AM
She can beat Amelie, she's shown that plenty. Things have to break right, and she has to play well.
The last major she played well was USO 2005, but Pierce took her out of her zone. She needs to find that zone at the right time.

Derek.
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:04 AM

No, but there are players who are a level above others.

And to me Lena is one level below Henin-Hardenne/Sharapova/Clijsters/Mauresmo.

Neptune
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:09 AM
She shown that she was behind Amelie,Kim,Masha,Justine....

Yea,she can beat them once from time to time,but I doubt she can do that more than one time during a Gs.

goldenlox
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:11 AM
As I've said before, Pat McEnroe said Amelie wasn't choking at majors, that she wasn't a good enough player to win a major.
That was when Lindsay beat her at New Haven 2005.
Then Amelie won 2 majors.

Lena has already shown she can beat slam winners at majors.
It's not an issue of whether she's good enough. It's whether she can play her best at the right time.
It's the same for Nadia.

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Of course Dementieva can beat anyone on her day. But the problem is that she can be beaten by anyone on any surface on any day. She desperately lacks consistency. Every other active player who has won a Slam title had at least one super-consistent season under her belt. Lena, unfortunately, has her fair share of early losses every year and often doesn't live up to her seedings at the tournaments.

Neptune
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:20 AM
As I've said before, Pat McEnroe said Amelie wasn't choking at majors, that she wasn't a good enough player to win a major.
That was when Lindsay beat her at New Haven 2005.
Then Amelie won 2 majors.

Lena has already shown she can beat slam winners at majors.
It's not an issue of whether she's good enough. It's whether she can play her best at the right time.
It's the same for Nadia.

No offense (I like Lena) but how can she win a major at this time?

Probably in 2004,she had good chances.Like I said,her time is over.

Amelie has no real weakness in her game. (Her forehand for sure but nothing compared to Lena's serve).

You need weapons to win a slam.Lena can't serve.

Nadia it's a different story.

goldenlox
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Lena had her chances. 2004 RG and USO, and 2005 USO.
With her lack of consistency, she won't have a big chance at every major.
When she gets her next chance, she has to play her best.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Yes , I remember Novotna will never win Majors. Also Goran , Amelie , Gaudio ...

hablo
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:29 AM
And is it just me lol at people now using Amelie as the standard for like winning slams? I'm thrilled for her, really, well deserved and such a great game and really can be the standard, it's not that she's not the standard, but a year ago the whole board was all "Chokomomo" and she was a big loser and stuff. Hell, it was still that until Wimbledon SIX months ago! Tennis is a fickle world!

Yeah, your observation is so true, and I find that to be quite humorous, actually! :lol:

GQGuy1
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:34 AM
There is no need to compare Lena and Masha.

Lena played Two finals but struggled both time.And her serve was crappy.

That's sad for her but she can't confront with the top players (Kim,Masha,Amelie and Justine).

To be honest Lena has better skill and movenment than Maria S, just lacks mental toughness.

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Yes , I remember Novotna will never win Majors. Also Goran , Amelie , Gaudio ...

Novotna and Ivanisevic won their Wimbledon titles at the age of 30. The thread's topic says: Dementieva will win THIS year. Let alone both Jana and Goran were Top-5 fixtures and several times came close to winning Wimbledon.
Amelie has been in Top-5 for years as well and reached No.1 before winning Melbourne.
And Gaudio... well, a fluke could happen but at least Gaston has been one of the bests on the surface.

drake3781
Jan 6th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I know one thing the girl in your avatar ain't winning nothing.:lol:

But I didn't start a thread saying "Mark my Word" she will. :rolleyes:

How are you gonna put your money where your mouth is?

It's easy to mark your word, then when it doesn't happen just keep quiet and assume everyone will forget. (Serena fans are real good at that, too.)

WIMBLY2004
Jan 6th, 2007, 01:52 AM
To be honest Lena has better skill and movenment than Maria S, just lacks mental toughness.

Isn't serving part of tennis skills? :scratch: