PDA

View Full Version : ASB Classic's future looks shaky - also includes some smart words by Vera Zvonareva

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:07 AM
ASB Classic's future looks shaky
5/01/2007 7:08:03

Could this be the final ASB Tennis Classic in New Zealand?

Plans for a big money rival tournament in the Middle East have players and organisers fearful the Auckland tournament will miss the cut on a revised WTA Tour calendar.

Russian Vera Zvonareva who is a player representative on the WTA board, has confirmed Auckland is in line for the chop and admits it would be a tragedy.

She says it would be upsetting because the players love the place. She says players like Meilen Tu and Kristina Brandi are here for the 10th year in a row this year, and no other tournament can lure talent back on such a consistent basis.

Vera Zvonareva has slammed the WTA for the radical radical changes in its pathway to 2010 programme, which includes reducing the number of tournaments on the tour. She says the future is about all players on the tour, not just the top 20, and if there are fewer tournaments it cuts down opportunities for young players.

Tournament director Richard Palmer says they are not giving up, and will work to secure increased sponsorship as well as coming up with a $US 450,000 franchise fee to keep it going.

He says they are working through the process of staying part of the tour, but obviously another tournament in the same week would impact heavily.

Richard Palmer says they have to submit franchise applications in the next few weeks.

Referance: Newstalk ZB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys ive just made an online petition thing, would be nice if you could all sign it and send it to your family, friends etc as well

http://www.petitiononline.com/saveasbc/petition.html

Cheers

Langers
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:45 AM
I'd like to see NZ keep the tournament. I'm sick of all these countries loaded with money trying to take over everything. :o

jazar
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I'd like to see NZ keep the tournament. I'm sick of all these countries loaded with money trying to take over everything. :o

same. it just seems that some asian nations buy the tournaments even though they have no tennis talent there or even many fans. i mean take the mens tournament this week in qatar, there is no crowd at all, they just bought it for prestige or something like that

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:44 AM
There is growing interest in tennis in New Zealand thanks to Marina, Sacha, Ellen and with plenty more in the wings. Gone are the days of someone with a career high ranking of 180, 212 and 272 here comes talent to New Zealand and we love it!!!

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 5th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Great read...i really hope they can keep this running! It seems like a very player and fan friendly tourney :bounce:

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Great read...i really hope they can keep this running! It seems like a very player and fan friendly tourney :bounce:

Sure is, Myskinas said a number of times that the main reason that she came to Auckland was because of the good reputation is has from fellow russian players who have played there before.
Also Nadia wanted to come back here (on her website, didnt change it til well after the rule came in that she wasnt allowed to play there).

Ben.
Jan 5th, 2007, 08:15 AM
mmm, interesting. obviously the WTA aren't really that smart after all :o but what an intelligent comment vera said that the future of the WTA is bout all players & not just the Top 20. no young players = WTA in jeopardy!

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2007, 08:32 AM
mmm, interesting. obviously the WTA aren't really that smart after all :o but what an intelligent comment vera said that the future of the WTA is bout all players & not just the Top 20. no young players = WTA in jeopardy!

Absolutely right

Guys ive just made an online petition thing, would be nice if you could all sign it and send it to your family, friends etc as well

Cheers

IMPOSSIBLE
Jan 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Go Vera !

DutchieGirl
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Nice to see the players realise what's gonna happen too...

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Nice to see the players realise what's gonna happen too...

Definately helps that Veras involved but a pity that Jelena, Marion, Dani, Eleni and Meilen dont seem to be doing much about it

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:21 AM
At latest count the petition had 2 signatures :haha:

ViennaCalling
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Vera :kiss:

jimbo mack
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:43 AM
i've signed the petition.

Why? Becasuse when I went to Nelson for a holiday last year (Jan) where loads of people were talking about the auckland tournament (even though Nelson is in the south island) and the tournament was also well covered on t.v. It's a good warm up event for the Aus Open

goldenlox
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Right now, there is almost no prizemoney for the players before the AO.

That's why you see so many top 10ers playing exo's this week.

Doha is going pay the players like a men's TMS event.

That's much more than they get before the AO now.

What the ASB needs is to add another sponsor, so they can be a B tournament in 2009.
Even a B will pay more than the ASB pays now.

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:51 AM

What the ASB needs is to add another sponsor, so they can be a B tournament in 2009.

Auckland Tennis had already offered to increase the prizemoney, although thats besides the point here

Also we arent really talking about top 10 or 20 players here we are talking about players more ranked 20-200 plus the likes of Leanne Baker who benefit greatly from the ASB Classic.

goldenlox
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM
If they want to keep it, they know what they have to do.
Ortherwise, the local stars will play in Australia on this week of the calendar from 2009 on.

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:59 AM
If they want to keep it, they know what they have to do.
Ortherwise, the local stars will play in Australia on this week of the calendar from 2009 on.

Reality Check: Australians never give New Zealanders Wildcards.....

goldenlox
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Then they have to win a few matches, and earn some points. Or ASB has to get another sponsor.

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Then they have to win a few matches, and earn some points. Or ASB has to get another sponsor.

Um they do win matches, and titles - ASB helps them :p

Oh and btw ASB isnt a city like what you have been suggesting, its a bank here (I bank there actually) :lol:

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Upto 5 signatures, keep it coming

-sugi-
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Oh no, I always like following this tournament and it seems to always have quite nice winners.

To me, it is disgusting that Asian get tournaments when the crowd is basically empty. I remember watching Sugiyama vs Schruff last year on TV at Doha and there was no one watching.

I hope it stays, New Zealand deserves a tournament. They are improving with players like Marina Erakovic who played well at the ASB this year and also they have Sacha Jones as well.
And Goldenlox, some players from New Zealand may not be able to even get in with their rank to Australia, especially young up and coming players and you can't really deny them a chance to play in their home tournament, even if it is qualifying. ASB has always seemed to have good coverage and been a popular tournament and this year for a Tier IV tournament, it has attracted lots of really good players. So for this reason it should stay.

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Oh no, I always like following this tournament and it seems to always have quite nice winners.

To me, it is disgusting that Asian get tournaments when the crowd is basically empty. I remember watching Sugiyama vs Schruff last year on TV at Doha and there was no one watching.

I hope it stays, New Zealand deserves a tournament. They are improving with players like Marina Erakovic who played well at the ASB this year and also they have Sacha Jones as well.
And Goldenlox, some players from New Zealand may not be able to even get in with their rank to Australia, especially young up and coming players and you can't really deny them a chance to play in their home tournament, even if it is qualifying. ASB has always seemed to have good coverage and been a popular tournament and this year for a Tier IV tournament, it has attracted lots of really good players. So for this reason it should stay.

Very interesting to have someone from Asia say that

If I remember correctly I think Asagoe used to really like this tournament

Remeber to sign the petition :)

baleineau
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM
it makes sense that in the build up to the Australian Open that there's at least some 2-3 weeks of preparatory play on rebound ace in the region/continent of Australasia.

New Zealand is big enough/rich enough to support a tournament - if anything, why have events like "Gold Coast" competing at the same time, when Australia already has Sydney and Melbourne. If anything, run the Gold Coast tournament the same week as Sydney for all those players unable to get into the main draw of Sydney.

I, too, am unhappy to see places like Doha and Dubai buying events for prestige (business networking) purposes, despite the fact that locals aren't interested in watchng or cannot afford to attend.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I, too, am unhappy to see places like Doha and Dubai buying events for prestige (business networking) purposes, despite the fact that locals aren't interested in watchng or cannot afford to attend.

its free in Doha, sit anywhere you like, even VIP seats.

-sugi-
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Very interesting to have someone from Asia say that

If I remember correctly I think Asagoe used to really like this tournament

Remeber to sign the petition :)
But in Japan, their tournaments are always very busy with big crowds :angel:

You are right, Shino was so close to winning the singles title in 2005 in the final against Srebotnik but she choked :sad: She never won a tour singles title but won plenty of doubles :sad:

Epigone
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM
New Zealand is big enough/rich enough to support a tournament - if anything, why have events like "Gold Coast" competing at the same time, when Australia already has Sydney and Melbourne. If anything, run the Gold Coast tournament the same week as Sydney for all those players unable to get into the main draw of Sydney.That's not going to happen because there is going to be a new event in Brisbane from 2009.The event will involve bringing together the existing Next Generation Adelaide International for men with the Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts on the Gold Coast in the one state-of-the-art venue. In 2007 and 2008 these international events will continue to be hosted in their existing cities before moving to Brisbane.The announcement of the combined tournament will further strengthen the lead-up tournaments on the Road to the Australian Open which in 2009 will comprise of three combined men’s and women’s tournaments, beginning with the Hyundai Hopman Cup in Perth, then the new tournament in Brisbane followed by the Medibank Sydney International, and one women’s tournament - the Moorilla Hobart International.link (http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/article.aspx?id=6043&articleid=ArticleID200673116636&pageId=9959&HandlerId=1)

SpankMe
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:18 PM
They shouldn't be allowed to play exos before a grand slam tournament, it's only a couple of weeks away! :( :rolleyes:
The wta needs to rethink it's strategy :rolleyes:

:wavey: SIGN IT PLEASE!!!:bounce:
it just seems that some asian nations buy the tournaments...... in qatar No offence intended but it's the Middle Eastern countries that are buying the tournaments not the Asian countries ;)

There are still no photos from this years tournament on their website,:rolleyes: tell them you'd like to see the photos at this address
asbcentre@aucklandtennis.co.nz (asbcentre@aucklandtennis.co.nz)

DutchieGirl
Jan 5th, 2007, 04:52 PM

That's BS...top 6 aren't allowed to play tier 4's anyway (and it may be all of top 10 now - not sure if that rule changed)...alot of the top players did play on GC, and a couple did in Auckland. MOST top players are playing in Sydney, and with Hobart, pretty much all of the top 50 are playing this week - give or take a couple (of course not counting the injured - or pregnant, or possibly divorcing - players).

And as you can see from Vera's statements, it's NOT all about the money like you would so like us to believe!

DutchieGirl
Jan 5th, 2007, 04:56 PM
it makes sense that in the build up to the Australian Open that there's at least some 2-3 weeks of preparatory play on rebound ace in the region/continent of Australasia.

New Zealand is big enough/rich enough to support a tournament - if anything, why have events like "Gold Coast" competing at the same time, when Australia already has Sydney and Melbourne. If anything, run the Gold Coast tournament the same week as Sydney for all those players unable to get into the main draw of Sydney.

:scratch: There are 2 tourneys each week (well plus HC in one week too). So we have ASB Classic/Gold Coast/Hopman Cup in 1st week qand then Sydney/Hobart in the second week before Aussie Open. So why put Sydney/Gold Coast AND Hobart on in the same week, and then just have Auckland in the 1st week? Seems kinda silly to me.

P_Fer
Jan 5th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Well said Vera

jonny84
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Hope it doesnt go.

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Currently 13 signatures, please sign it and send it do your friends and family too