PDA

View Full Version : Maria Voted Academy Female Athlete Of The Year

Sugar_Kane
Dec 31st, 2006, 01:38 AM
Maria has been voted Academy Female Athlete of the Year after a worldwide online fan vote presented by USATODAY.com and MSNBC.com. The ballot was open from 1-25 December.

Here is what Maria had to say after coming on top: "It is a great honor to be voted Female Athlete of the Year. What makes it more special is that has been decided by fans. So thank you to everyone that voted for me"

The Academy Athlete of the Year presented by USATODAY.com and MSNBC.com is the culmination of the Academy's yearlong Athlete of the Month program, which recognizes the accomplishments of men and women in sports around the globe.

The United States Sports Academy is an independent, non-profit, accredited, special mission sports university created to serve the nation and the world with programs in instruction, research and service. The role of the Academy is to prepare men and women for careers in the profession of sports.

Roger Federer was voted Outstanding Athlete of the Year and Tiger Woods won Academy Male Athlete of the year.

http://www.mariasharapova.com/defaultflash.sps

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:08 AM
http://www.mariasharapova.com/defaultflash.sps

Very nice, Maria.

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:44 AM
:woohoo:

ioni
Dec 31st, 2006, 08:27 AM
:bounce: :bounce:

Mina Vagante
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:59 AM
:fiery: grr she only won cus she's (supposably) hot, justine should have won

ayusania
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:01 AM
cool !!!! yay maria!!!!

ioni
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:18 AM
:fiery: grr she only won cus she's (supposably) hot, justine should have won

:rolleyes: that's for sure the reason ! :lol:

Mina Vagante
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:19 AM
:rolleyes: that's for sure the reason ! :lol:

no seriously, i bet that has something to do with it!

ioni
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:01 PM
no seriously, i bet that has something to do with it!

well she's not hot , she 'supposabily' hot so can 't be a reason for beeing voted and she's not like ranked 100 in the world she's nr 2 ...

Geertvg
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:21 PM
Exactly. The number 2. Not 1 :)

morningglory
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:27 PM
:haha: ooooooh :haha: then that means... to people accross the globe... Masha is considered... HOT??!!??!! or at least HOTTER THAN JUSTINE???!!! :eek:

Geertvg
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:34 PM
:haha: ooooooh :haha: then that means... to people accross the globe... Masha is considered... HOT??!!??!! or at least HOTTER THAN JUSTINE???!!! :eek:

She is hotter than Justine, no question about that. Though not as hot as Kournikova. But fact is that she's number 2, not 1. Yes, she did a grand slam, but so did justine and she's even played all grand slam finals. I'm not her number 1 fan, but Justine does deserve the athlete of the year award over Masha :)

ioni
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:45 PM
it was decided by fans not by rankings who's fault is that Justine doesn't have so many to vote for her ! at least they didn't vote for someone low ranked that was my opinion and she wasn't choosed because of her looks cause we all know she's not that pretty ,just overrated .. :angel:

Mina Vagante
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:48 PM
She is hotter than Justine, no question about that. Though not as hot as Kournikova. But fact is that she's number 2, not 1. Yes, she did a grand slam, but so did justine and she's even played all grand slam finals. I'm not her number 1 fan, but Justine does deserve the athlete of the year award over Masha :)

i agree, im not a fan of maria OR justine in fact i prefere maria, but justine's results this year have been remarkale! reaching all four grandslams and winning lots of tournaments, sharapova has also been consistent but no so much as justine.And yes, i think the fact that justine is number one not shaerapova says it all, sharapova had her chance to become number 1 in the YEC SF. but justine thought through it, to me that deserves to be voted the female athelte of the year!

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:56 PM
Looks and body language are important.
A writer in the NYDaily News has been goofing on Yuri-

Yuri Sharapov accepts role as the Soup Nazi in new Broadway musical. Without advice from her father in the player's box, Maria Sharapova eats wrong fruit during changeover at the U.S. Open, breaks out in rash.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/484419p-407856c.html

YURI SHARAPOV
There have been worse tennis fathers in this world, but Yuri is starting to drive us crazy with his tantrums and his coaching of his daughter, Maria Sharapova, from the player's box. The silliness reached a fruity crescendo at the U.S. Open this September, when Yuri and a trainer kept signaling down below at the teenager to eat her bananas. Yuri won't communicate with the press, beyond a snarl. Poor Maria found herself talking about the banana nearly as much as her second major championship.

http://www.nydailynews.com/12-24-2006/sports/basketball/knicks/story/482700p-406307c.html

ioni
Dec 31st, 2006, 01:04 PM
Looks and body language are important.
A writer in the NYDaily News has been goofing on Yuri-

Yuri Sharapov accepts role as the Soup Nazi in new Broadway musical. Without advice from her father in the player's box, Maria Sharapova eats wrong fruit during changeover at the U.S. Open, breaks out in rash.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/484419p-407856c.html

YURI SHARAPOV
There have been worse tennis fathers in this world, but Yuri is starting to drive us crazy with his tantrums and his coaching of his daughter, Maria Sharapova, from the player's box. The silliness reached a fruity crescendo at the U.S. Open this September, when Yuri and a trainer kept signaling down below at the teenager to eat her bananas. Yuri won't communicate with the press, beyond a snarl. Poor Maria found herself talking about the banana nearly as much as her second major championship.

http://www.nydailynews.com/12-24-2006/sports/basketball/knicks/story/482700p-406307c.html

nice to know ! what's got to do these with the fact if it's ok that she 's the one who was voted female atlete of the year instead of Justine ? wrong thread , maybe ??

Sugar_Kane
Dec 31st, 2006, 04:53 PM
:haha: *death* at goldenlox trying to bring Maria down.

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 05:01 PM
What are you talking about? The thread was discussing looks and impressions of people.

ezekiel
Dec 31st, 2006, 05:02 PM
if she is voted by an anonymous internet poll then she clearly deserves it :worship: :bounce: :rolleyes:

denisgiann
Dec 31st, 2006, 05:52 PM
well she's not hot , she 'supposabily' hot so can 't be a reason for beeing voted and she's not like ranked 100 in the world she's nr 2 ...

Lol i agree with you.Many people here say that her looks are nothing special really,but when she wins something like that everyone says its because of her looks.I guess that when it suits our arguments she is pretty and when not she isnt.Some people will never learn...:rolleyes:

Sally Struthers
Dec 31st, 2006, 06:02 PM
what the hell is the United States Sports Academy and who cares what awards they give out? :shrug:

Il Primo!
Dec 31st, 2006, 06:07 PM
It's unfair

Sefo
Dec 31st, 2006, 06:21 PM
This is just another "The most popular" award wich Maria receives. Though, I don't know why the Academy should go into this.

jacobruiz
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:20 PM
It's an award decided by tennis fans on the internet and Maria got the most fans' votes.

Doesn't mean Justine wasn't the better player in 2006. But here comes 2007!;)