PDA

View Full Version : Petrova "I dont want to have expectations or set goals"

tennisIlove09
Dec 30th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Russiaís Nadia Petrova is working hard to get back to the high level she attained in the early stages of the 2006 season, when she won three tournaments in a row on the clay before injuring her hip days before the start of the French Open. Late in 2006 she played some of her greatest tennis again, winning Stuttgart and making it to the final of Moscow. How does she feel about her chances in Melbourne? The 24-year-old responds, "From now on I donít want to have any expectations or set any goals. All I want for me is to go out there every single day the best I can and enjoy it. When I am walking off the court I can say to myself that I have put 110 percent into this match and if I lose I can accept it and if I win then I can start to get ready for my next match. No more expectations, no more I want to be No. 1. I like the surface at the Australian Open. It is good for my style of play since I can play heavy balls and heavy spin and really push my opponents back and then step in and finish off points at the net."

Now, to me this is the wrong way to go. You SHOULD have expectations and goals. :shrug:

Babolatpro880
Dec 30th, 2006, 11:04 PM
She's always seemed to set goals for herself, from things I remember her saying.

Maybe what hurt her in taking so long to get her first title was that she expected it from herself so much.

Geertvg
Dec 30th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Sad, she does have the wrong mentality indeed. She beat herself during the SEC aswell...

LudwigDvorak
Dec 30th, 2006, 11:06 PM
She's just disappointed she lost to a nobody yesterday, if this is that recent an interview. But if it was before then, well, that's rather odd. I hope her the best, though! If you're going into a season, trying to defend five titles, especially three in a row on clay, and seven finals overall, you're bound to find disappointment somewhere. So maybe it's a good thing she's trying to keep the pressure off.

goldenlox
Dec 30th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Link please

tennisIlove09
Dec 30th, 2006, 11:09 PM
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=16365&bannerregion=

Geertvg
Dec 30th, 2006, 11:10 PM
She's just disappointed she lost to a nobody yesterday, if this is that recent an interview. But if it was before then, well, that's rather odd. I hope her the best, though! If you're going into a season, trying to defend five titles, especially three in a row on clay, and seven finals overall, you're bound to find disappointment somewhere. So maybe it's a good thing she's trying to keep the pressure off.

Hm. Calling Molik a nobody is a tad exeggerated, no? :)

Tenis Srbija
Dec 30th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Alicia is not "nobody"... Nadia shouldn't "beat" herself cause of this lose! Alicia is on her's soil, and she is hungry for victories...

Just relax Nadia, you can do it!!!

Ben.
Dec 30th, 2006, 11:14 PM

eh hello :scratch: nadia didn't lose to a nobody yesterday in alicia molik you know :lol:

besides that it couldn't hurt nadia to have some expectations & goals but maybe she should take it one day at a time & focus on what she wants to achieve in her game rather than look at the big picture.

.david.
Dec 30th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Sad, she does have the wrong mentality indeed. She beat herself during the SEC aswell...
yes i think so too.
She is so talented and has the game to win Slams. She should have much higher expectations for herself.

LudwigDvorak
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:09 AM
haha, I know Molik isn't really a nobody. I just wanted to be a bit facetious. But my point still stands: a lot of players who do really well one season freeze up in the next, and I think Petrova's trying not to do that.

thomas.chung
Dec 31st, 2006, 01:10 AM
It is very important for players to keep their momentum through to the next season, we saw what happened to Mary last year and this year (well soon last year too). One day she was in the YEC final, was in 2 GS finals, 1 GS QF, won titles. Then a little over a month later, just flipped, in AO she lost to Iveta Benesova, and we know the rest of the story. So for Nadia, I think the most important thing is for her to hold her head up. Yes it was a lost today, but so what!? She didn't loose to somebody who is significantly worse than her, she lost to Alicia Molik, once ranked top 10 not so long ago. So she shouldn't beat herself too much. Just focus.

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 01:16 AM
Nadia wasn't upset after the match. But she has to be more effective on her serve. Alicia had 6 breaks from 15 bp's.

Marcus Jordan
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:49 AM
But its true, you play better if you focus on one point at a time rather than lofty ambitions. Some players psych themselves out by expecting to win and then when they lose the first set they get down on themselves.

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:33 PM
Even though Nadia says that, she wants to win majors and be #1.

Kirt12255
Dec 31st, 2006, 01:12 PM

Hmmm....Nadia has lost to this "No-Body" before. It now stands at 2-1 Alicia.:wavey:

jazar
Dec 31st, 2006, 01:53 PM
that is a pretty shit attitude and if she keeps it up then she is going to have no chance of winning any majors or challenging henin, mauresmo and sharapova for #1

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 02:29 PM
A lot of players don't announce their goals, because if they don't reach them they sound like failures.

Nadia wants to win majors and finish #1.
But she can have a very successful year even if she falls short of that.

Uranus
Dec 31st, 2006, 02:31 PM
No I don't think it's the good attitude either :shrug:

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 31st, 2006, 02:48 PM
Well, Nadia has never struck me as a cerebral-type of tennis player. And with her latest revelation, she seems to be leaning more towards the "dumb jock" type of persona.

Nadia, a little advice from Mother Marjorie. Set goals and ignore expectations from others.

Oh, and the third thing, close your mouth and stop talking to the press.

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Since when does Nadia do a lot of interviews?
Maybe her fans want to hear her opinions. You don't have to read them if you don't want to.

jazar
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:24 PM
having no goals is a defeatist attitude.

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:27 PM
There's a diffefence between having no goals and telling the media you don't set goals.
Nadia was #3 when she had her hip injury this spring.
She was the highest ranked Adidas wearer, and highest ranked Russian born player.

You don't get to that level with a defeatist attitude.

jazar
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:30 PM
what does adidas have anything to do with her poor mental attitude?

Geertvg
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:31 PM
Nadia's attitude has been a problem before. I mean, what was all that moaning in Madrid?!?

Geertvg
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:32 PM
what does adidas have anything to do with her poor mental attitude?

And I thought Siberia was Russia!

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:34 PM
Adidas is a topic now because of what she wore in Perth. Nadia was #3 behind Amelie and Kim going into RG.
We all should have a mental attitude like Nadia. She missed several months with a hip injury, and still finished #6 and won 5 titles.
She hasn't played a grasscourt match for 18 months. She lost a big chunk of the spring and summer to injury this year.

pooh14
Dec 31st, 2006, 04:02 PM
nadia obviously has her own goals but does not want to say it out.

all players have goals, they just don't say it out.
if you see hingis last year, in the beginning of the year when they ask her goals, she say doesnt have any.....

then towards the end after in top 10, and they ask her how she feels, she said being top 10 n qualifying for madrid as one of her goals she had in the beginning of the year...so she is happy to have made it.

jazar
Dec 31st, 2006, 04:32 PM
We all should have a mental attitude like Nadia.

i don't think so. goal setting is an important part of sports psychology-you should always be striving for more. saying she has no goals kinda shows lack of motivation (although i'm sure she is motvated, but her attitude shows otherwise) and if you are unmotivated you have no chance

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 04:42 PM
I don't see how she can get these results if she is unmotivated.
Nadia's problem is her forehand. If she could cut down the UE's, she can beat anyone.
And I think she can beat anyone, but against players like Sharapova, she has to attack a lot, like Amelie does.

jazar
Dec 31st, 2006, 04:47 PM
maybe the problem with her forehand is mental-she sees it as a weakness, therefore it becomes a weakness. the more she worries about it the worse it becomes. maybe she needs to see a sport psychologist if she wants to step up and challenge for majors

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 05:03 PM
Her forehand isn't steady enough to win baseline rallies with the best players.
She always had problems with Lindsay.
Even though Nadia has great clay results, she isn't one of the 3 or 4 steadiest players on the tour.

hingis-seles
Dec 31st, 2006, 05:45 PM
I don't see what the fuss is about. There are other players who have had this attiutude in the past and enjoyed great success. This is the perfect attitude to have because it takes all the pressure off you. All anyone can really do is go out there and perform at 100%. Give it your best and if you win, great. If you don't, there's a whole lot more tournaments out there.

Having expectations and goals can be limiting too. For example, if Nadia sets winning a major as her goal for 2007. Why just limit yourself to winning one major in 2007? Try your hardest in every match and fight hard, work hard and maintain your focus on tennis. Once you do that, there's no need for goals or expectations. All that stuff will take care of itself.

Randy H
Dec 31st, 2006, 06:03 PM
I don't see what the fuss is about. There are other players who have had this attiutude in the past and enjoyed great success. This is the perfect attitude to have because it takes all the pressure off you. All anyone can really do is go out there and perform at 100%. Give it your best and if you win, great. If you don't, there's a whole lot more tournaments out there.

Having expectations and goals can be limiting too. For example, if Nadia sets winning a major as her goal for 2007. Why just limit yourself to winning one major in 2007? Try your hardest in every match and fight hard, work hard and maintain your focus on tennis. Once you do that, there's no need for goals or expectations. All that stuff will take care of itself.

I agree - She said herself, her expectation is that she goes out to every match giving 110% effort, and that's really all you can truly do and rely on from yourself with every match. The fact that she says that giving that effort is her top priority shows she is not being defeatist, or unmotivated. Be the best player you can be, and the results will speak for themselves without setting specific expectations.

jazar
Dec 31st, 2006, 06:07 PM
you should use your goals as a measuring stick. if you don't reach them you know that you have to improve to meet them.

Randy H
Dec 31st, 2006, 06:17 PM
you should use your goals as a measuring stick. if you don't reach them you know that you have to improve to meet them.

Life in unpredictable, tennis is unpredictable. You can be playing a match one day, get injured and your whole career changes. The best we can do for ourselves is to understand that, give our best effort, and learn to be okay with whatever may happen after. If you put in as much effort as you possibly can to improve, work hard, etc. then you will be doing the best to maximize your potential.

Just because you don't set specific goals doesn't mean that you don't aspire for great things or that you don't believe they could ever happen. I think Amelie Mauresmo is someone who is a great example of a person who really needed to let go of the goals/expectations in order to reach her maximum potential. She spent years answering to others about why she wasn't winning slams, what she needed to do, could she ever do it, until she reached a point where she said that whatever happens is going to happen. She'd give it her absolute best effort, if it's meant to be then it's meant to be, if it's not then it's not and she could walk away knowing that at least she gave it her all. When she took that mentality and understood that's what it comes down to, she relaxed enough to just let things take their course and to enjoy and savour the moments.

vogus
Dec 31st, 2006, 06:29 PM
Nadya has always tended to have more of a process-oriented mentality rather than a goal-oriented mentality. And she has had a lot of success with it, so i don't see any problem with her actually stating that directly.

ToeTag
Dec 31st, 2006, 07:07 PM
I agree - She said herself, her expectation is that she goes out to every match giving 110% effort, and that's really all you can truly do and rely on from yourself with every match. The fact that she says that giving that effort is her top priority shows she is not being defeatist, or unmotivated. Be the best player you can be, and the results will speak for themselves without setting specific expectations.

She sure the hell didn't give 100% effort at the Rogers Cup this year! She made a complete ass of herself.

cheo23
Dec 31st, 2006, 07:14 PM
Nadia's attitude has been a problem before. I mean, what was all that moaning in Madrid?!?

DEFINETLY....her behavior against my bitchy ass Martina Hingis was :o :rolleyes: :lol: n the following match w/ QUEEN JUSTINE!

I hate the throwing her RACKET & the NEGATIVE attitude she displays.its like whatever & GET IT TOGETHER NADIA!!!:weirdo: :smash:

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 07:58 PM
She sure the hell didn't give 100% effort at the Rogers Cup this year! She made a complete ass of herself.Nadia had been out with a hip injury. From the German Open to Stuttgart, almost 5 months, Nadia only got 118 points.
She played Montreal because she was trying to rush back and make the USO.
She had missed Wimbledon.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Nadya has always tended to have more of a process-oriented mentality rather than a goal-oriented mentality. And she has had a lot of success with it, so i don't see any problem with her actually stating that directly.
I guess it depends on how you define "success" in relationship to professional tennis' players.

Nadia has always been talented enough to breakthrough at the slams and become a great player. There are many like her. However, its painfully obvious something is missing from her game, and its mental toughness. Its that one "thing" which has seperated the greats from the "not-so-greats" in the sport of tennis.

Perhaps her lack of mental toughness is caused from her indecisiveness regarding what she wants to achieve in her career, and inability to set goals. Her inability to set goals and expectations is symptomatic of insecurity and self-doubt. She'll never win a slam until she gets past her "fear of failure."

Process-oriented mentality in the sport of tennis doesn't make a champion. Its obvious Nadia doesn't mentally have what it takes to become a successful champion in tennis.

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:01 PM
What tennis player gives a list of her goals to the media?
And what are these goals?

vogus
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:12 PM
Perhaps her lack of mental toughness is caused from her indecisiveness regarding what she wants to achieve in her career, and inability to set goals. Her inability to set goals and expectations is symptomatic of insecurity and self-doubt. She'll never win a slam until she gets past her "fear of failure."

Process-oriented mentality in the sport of tennis doesn't make a champion. Its obvious Nadia doesn't mentally have what it takes to become a successful champion in tennis.

Humbug. Tennis is a perfectly well suited sport to a process-oriented approach. Randy Hoffman just wrote a very good post about how the process-oriented mentality has worked better for Mauresmo than the goal-setting approach. And that's true for many, if not most tennis players.

Nadya doesn't have an "inability" to set goals. Rather, she has decided that the goal-setting mentality is not the way to get the most out of her tennis and her life. She is a highly successful tennis player, she's been in the top 10, won important titles, reached #4 in the world. As you stated it, that criticism of her is a general truism that could be applied to ANY player who hasn't won Grand Slams.

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:14 PM
Reached #3 this year.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:23 PM
Humbug. Tennis is a perfectly well suited sport to a process-oriented approach. Randy Hoffman just wrote a very good post about how the process-oriented mentality has worked better for Mauresmo than the goal-setting approach. And that's true for many, if not most tennis players.
And how long did it take for Amelie to win a grand slam event? She's almost at the end of her career.
Nadya doesn't have an "inability" to set goals. Rather, she has decided that the goal-setting mentality is not the way to get the most out of her tennis and her life. She is a highly successful tennis player, she's been in the top 10, won important titles, reached #4 in the world. As you stated it, that criticism of her is a general truism that could be applied to ANY player who hasn't won Grand Slams.
She'll never make into the International Tennis Hall of Fame (a standard of success in the pro ranks)without winning a grand slam title or multiple doubles titles. How can you truly call yourself "successful" in a professional sport when you are unable to make it into the Hall of Fame? Especially for someone as talented as Nadia, its just another case of a very talented player without the mentality to breakthrough.

Perhaps lowered-expectations are what you are trying to sell?? Mother Marjorie thinks so.

vogus
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:42 PM
She'll never make into the International Tennis Hall of Fame (a standard of success in the pro ranks)without winning a grand slam title or multiple doubles titles. How can you truly call yourself "successful" in a professional sport when you are unable to make it into the Hall of Fame? Especially for someone as talented as Nadia, its just another case of a very talented player without the mentality to breakthrough.

by that definition of success (reaching the Hall of Fame), there are an awful lot of unsuccessful professional tennis players out there. In any case, Petrova herself might not be having expectations, but I expect something good from her this year. Henin and Sharapova are far from a lock to win all the Slams.

LoveFifteen
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:44 PM
Lowered Expectaaaaations ....