PDA

View Full Version : If you could make your own roadmap to 2010 for the SE WTA Tour...

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:14 AM
The current WTA Tour Roadmap goals include:
• 1. Shortened season, ending in October
• 2. Streamlined top level of tournaments with top players competing against each other more often
• 3. Creation of four combined mandatory events with ATP
• 4. Simplified ranking system
• 5. Periodization – more breaks for top players after Grand Slams
• 6. Reduction in number of Tour tournaments top players must play from 13 to 11
• 7. Reduction of top player minimum tournament commitment requirement from 13 to 12 events, including two events
to be chosen by the Tour for each player
• 8. New standards that will mandate that all Tour fall season events shall utilize the same surface and same ball
• 9. Doubling of player late withdrawal fines, up to a maximum of $40,000 for third and subsequent late withdrawal
offenses
• 10. Reduction of minimum player tournament commitment requirement for players who have been on the Tour for 12
years or more by one tournament
• 11. Option for players aged 30 years old or more (as of January 1 of the Tour year) to have their minimum
tournament commitment consist of only four Tier I events

My Adjustments to the Strategic Plan:
-Shortened Season to 8 months... ending in September! [modification of point 1]
-Better Periodization of the season's structure with more focus on court surface -- for example, the first few weeks would focus almost entirely on Rebound Ace, followed by Green Clay, followed by Red Clay, etc., with each mini-season culminating in a big event such as a Grand Slam, a mandatory major tournament, or such as the YEC for indoors
-Heightened advertisement of courrt surface types and their differences so as to give each mini-season and tournament greater uniqueness
-possibly bonus money for players who achieved the most during that mini-season
-same balls used throughout mini-seasons [modification of point 8]
-change doubles scoring to best of 5 sets with the score to win a set at 2 games instead of 4 games or 6
-reduce greatly stratified tournament ranking system to four (or five...) -- Grand Slam / YEC, Mandatory "A" tournament (Indian Wells, Pacific Life, etc.), "B" tournaments and "C" tournaments where top top players are not allowed to participate (perhaps change name from A to Gold, B to something... so as to minimize the obviousness of the stratification to casual tennis fans and to ensure lower level tournaments still have tournaments) [modification of point 2]
-Increasing player withdrawal fines with stratification based on player ranking (or maybe something else like gold exempt status) and tournament level -- for example, a top player's withdrawal from a "B" tournament has much greater impact on the tournament than a lower ranking player's withdrawal from the tournament) [modification of point 9]
-Agree with original points 3,6,7,10,11

What goals would your plan have?? how would it be different from the current plan?? Make a list!

cartmancop
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Although it won't happen b/c the tours are so rooted in tradition and neither wants to move - ( I would like to see more space b/w RG and Wimbledon and an actual grass court warm up season so that players who do well in the FO can rest immediately after and still get some grasscourt practice) It just seems wrong to me that many consider Wimbledon the 'best/most coveted' GS and its leadup is so insignificant compared to the FO & USO...

cartmancop
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:29 AM
I also agree that uniformity among the balls should be used in the same 'mini-seasons...' it makes sense...

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 30th, 2006, 10:21 AM
u and i think alike on many things ;)