PDA

View Full Version : Question:What was Capriati's weapon of choice

Andrew Laeddis
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:51 AM
I didnt become a tennis fan until 2005 so Ive never seen her play. Im creating her on top spin 2 and I want the stats to be realistic.

What was her greatest asset?
How good was her forehand/backhand?
Was she good at net?
Did she come to net often?
How good was her serve?
Did she have alot of power in her game?
Was she fast/How was her court coverage?

LudwigDvorak
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Speed was what kept her around. She had a decent serve, but was often like Hingis with it. Not her strongest suit there. Capriati had a good backhand/forehand, but they weren't really big weapons. She liked to grind and wear out her opponents. Fitness was a key aspect of Capriati's game. And yeah, she was pretty good at net. She didn't come to net often, but she was reliable enough there. She was a defensive player who could turn it into offense pretty easily and do it convincingly.

Andrew Laeddis
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:08 AM
thanks

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:23 AM
marijuana

bmwofoz
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:34 AM
marijuana

L.O.L Looking at your Avator, I think it might have been sampling

pav
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:37 AM
She did deploy her own unique interpretation of the english language to good effect at times :)

Belladonna
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Retrieval/Defense/Speed - 10
Consistency - 9
Forehand - 8
Backhand - 7
Serve - 5
Net - 5

PLP
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Speed was what kept her around. She had a decent serve, but was often like Hingis with it. Not her strongest suit there. Capriati had a good backhand/forehand, but they weren't really big weapons. She liked to grind and wear out her opponents. Fitness was a key aspect of Capriati's game. And yeah, she was pretty good at net. She didn't come to net often, but she was reliable enough there. She was a defensive player who could turn it into offense pretty easily and do it convincingly.

First of all, Jen has BIG shots from both sides, but her forehand in particular: HUGE WEAPON!

Secondly, I would say she was an offensive player that could play defensively with decpetive ease, then go in
for the kill! :)

Leo_DFP
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I agree that Jen was not a defensive player first and foremost. When she was winning her Grand Slams, she was a tremendous offensive player with a huge forehand and steady backhand. Great backhand down the line but she probably hit most of her wins forehand crosscourt. She stopped winning majors as she became more of a defensive player and was too afraid to go for her shots. She went from Big Babe power hitter to Medium Babe with pretty good retrieving skills. And I also disagree that her net skills were ever that good.

yukon145
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:15 AM
what the hell are you guys talking about her forehand and backhand weren't that big?

her forehand is her weapon.

LudwigDvorak
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I only saw her in 2004, so maybe my views of her are a bit different than what she was doing when she won Slams. I figured she hadn't changed much.

PLP
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:23 AM
I only saw her in 2004, so maybe my views of her are a bit different than what she was doing when she won Slams. I figured she hadn't changed much.

No, her forehand was Blistering when on, it was scary! I actually didn't watch that much tennis in 2003/2004, so my view is definitely different than yours. ;)

bmwofoz
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:28 AM
I agree that Jen was not a defensive player first and foremost. When she was winning her Grand Slams, she was a tremendous offensive player with a huge forehand and steady backhand. Great backhand down the line but she probably hit most of her wins forehand crosscourt. She stopped winning majors as she became more of a defensive player and was too afraid to go for her shots. She went from Big Babe power hitter to Medium Babe with pretty good retrieving skills. And I also disagree that her net skills were ever that good.

I agree with this, when Jennifer was switched on she was a clean powerful hitter off both sides, with no real weakness, but I will add, she sometimes didn't slow the game down enough, and this allowed her error count to get out of control.

Jennifer knows only one way and that was full on attack, mostly it worked, she also maybe should have gone to net more

K-Dog
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:29 AM
People who saw Jen in 2003 and 2004 would get the perception that she was a defensive player that could turn defense into attack. When Jen was at her best at any point in her long career, she was an attacking player off the ground. Her forehand was extremely powerful both on the run and when she was set up. Her backhand cross-court was never that good (it was soild, just nothing special and it did save her at Oz 2002 on Martina's first match point), but her backhand down the line was a weapon. I remember some great dtl backhands Jennifer hit against Martina Navratilova when she beat her at Wimbledon in 1992 I believe (not sure). That shot really came full circle at Oz 2001 when she beat Hingis in the finals (remember match point?).

To describe how you should create Jennifer. She should have above average to great retrieval skills, a top notch forehand, an above average backhand, decent net skills, and a decent serve.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:31 AM
The way to beat Capriati was to slow down the game she was the fastest player always ready to play the second the point was over.

bmwofoz
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:36 AM
The way to beat Capriati was to slow down the game she was the fastest player always ready to play the second the point was over.

And hit a large number of moon balls, only a Williams, Davenport, Seles etc could out hit her.

Lulu.
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:47 AM
marijuana

:lol:

Marcus1979
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:58 AM
in 2001-2003 in particular her forehand was a huge weapon

Stamp Paid
Dec 30th, 2006, 08:13 AM
I didnt become a tennis fan until 2005 so Ive never seen her play. Im creating her on top spin 2 and I want the stats to be realistic.

What was her greatest asset? Speed/Forehand
How good was her forehand/backhand? Excellent/Good
Was she good at net? Capable
Did she come to net often? No
How good was her serve? Mediocre
Did she have alot of power in her game? During her peak years, yes. From 2004 to the end of her career, not so much.
Was she fast/How was her court coverage? Excellent, one of the best.

The Dawntreader
Dec 30th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Greatest asset- Speed around the court allied by her great anticipation. also forehand crosscourt and backhand up the line. Backhand usually more reliable, but forehand able to generate more spectacular winners, particukary in a off-balance position.

Forehand- Could be amazing at times. Great length and angle she could generate from this shot. Could go off a bit though, especially on the return. Became more of a threat in the long rallies rather than the immediate big shot.

Backhand- extremely reliable. only critique was that it could go a bit loopier than the forehand, thus allowing her opponents to pounce on the shorter ball.

Did she come to net often- Only after good groundstrokes set up an easy volley. Never one to come to the net and create the winning volley. It had to be an easy one for her to puttaway.

Serve- Got better as her career went on. Had major issues with in 2002, but found a more consistent technique in 2003-04, which didnt make her serve that much of an issue anymore.

Power- To an extent. Not the same kind of raw power like Venus, Seles etc, but gave the ball a hefty crack, particulary on the forehand. Serve could reach 166mph too, so quite a lot of power in capriati's game at times.

Court coverage- Excellent. The grinder of the WTA. Had to win the points about 5 times to finish her off in a rally.

LDF
Dec 30th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Greatest asset- Speed around the court allied by her great anticipation. also forehand crosscourt and backhand up the line. Backhand usually more reliable, but forehand able to generate more spectacular winners, particukary in a off-balance position.

Forehand- Could be amazing at times. Great length and angle she could generate from this shot. Could go off a bit though, especially on the return. Became more of a threat in the long rallies rather than the immediate big shot.

Backhand- extremely reliable. only critique was that it could go a bit loopier than the forehand, thus allowing her opponents to pounce on the shorter ball.

Did she come to net often- Only after good groundstrokes set up an easy volley. Never one to come to the net and create the winning volley. It had to be an easy one for her to puttaway.

Serve- Got better as her career went on. Had major issues with in 2002, but found a more consistent technique in 2003-04, which didnt make her serve that much of an issue anymore.

Power- To an extent. Not the same kind of raw power like Venus, Seles etc, but gave the ball a hefty crack, particulary on the forehand. Serve could reach 166mph too, so quite a lot of power in capriati's game at times.

Court coverage- Excellent. The grinder of the WTA. Had to win the points about 5 times to finish her off in a rally.

166mph? :p

Anyway, nice analysis as always :yeah:

The Dawntreader
Dec 30th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Doh:o :lol:

116mph, dont want to make it seem Jen had a record unnoticed:p

Thanks lDF:)