PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Pen

Sonja
Jun 18th, 2002, 08:07 PM
No. 10 Testud Joins Pilot Pen Field
June 18, 2002
By ROBERTO GONZALEZ, Courant Staff Writer

Anne Worcester traveled to Paris recently to recruit players at the French Open, so it's fitting she returned with a commitment from Sandrine Testud, the top Frenchwoman on the WTA Tour.

Testud, ranked No.10, officially committed to the Pilot Pen Monday. She is the fifth player ranked in the top 10 to enter the Pilot Pen, set for Aug. 16-24 at the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale.

"She is really that solid player who very quietly reaches the quarterfinal and semifinals of major events," said Worcester, the Pilot Pen tournament director. "She has also done well in Grand Slams over the years. Because she plays a lot of tournaments, she has been in the top 15 the last three or four years."

The Pilot Pen is getting closer to matching the strength of last year's field, which included seven of the top 10 players.

"I'm trying," Worcester said. "I really don't think we'll get commitments from other top 10 players until August now. Right now I'm hoping to add players ranked from 11 to 25."

But this year's field isn't lacking in star power.

Testud joins top-ranked Venus Williams, the three-time defending champion. The field also includes Lindsay Davenport (No.6), Justine Henin (No.7), Jelena Dokic (No.8), Amelie Mauresmo (No.11), Daniela Hantuchova (No.13), Alexandra Stevenson (No.29) and Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (No.31).

Testud will be making her fourth appearance at the Pilot Pen. She reached the quarterfinals in 1999, which was her strongest performance in New Haven. She reached the second round in 1998 and 2001, losing to Williams last year.

Testud's career blossomed in 1997, when she reached the top 20 for the first time; she has stayed there since. Her highest career ranking is No.9, which she reached twice in 2000.

She has won three titles and has reached the finals in seven other events, including Dubai last February. She reached the fourth round of three Grand Slam tournaments last year. She also reached back-to-back quarterfinals in the 1997 U.S. Open and in the Australian Open in 1998.

This spring, Testud missed six weeks with a stress fracture in her right foot

GoSandrine
Jun 19th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Thanks Sonja :wavey:

Yale University is just ninety minutes away so I hope to make an appearance there. :hearts:

Sonja
Jun 19th, 2002, 02:34 AM
Taking photos RIGHT? (Sonja says pointedly) ;)