PDA

View Full Version : Cronin: Sharapova will end 2007 #1

bucklemyshoe
Dec 30th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Federer won't Slam, Sharapova will rise to top

Matthew Cronin
Posted: 25 minutes ago

Roger Federer will not win the Grand Slam, but will end 2007 at No. 1

There has to come a time when the great Swiss slows down, even if very slightly. Federer has never suffered a significant injury and in the past three years, he hasn't even sustained an injury that kept him out of play for more than a couple of weeks.

He's due for a letdown — mental, physical, emotional — something. That's why he won't win the calendar year Grand Slam, not because he isn't by far the best player on the planet (he is), but because his luck is bound to turn.

With that said, Federer will still casually clock in and win two majors — Wimbledon and either the Australian Open or the U.S. Open — and end the year as the sport's top dog. Then, he'll be just three Grand Slam titles short of Pete Sampras' all-time mark of 14 at the tender age of 26 and can then set himself on cruise control to bust the mark.

Maria Sharapova will end the year as No. 1

If Sharapova doesn't break out and seize her sport by its ponytail in 2007, when will it happen? She finished 2006 ranked No. 2, essentially dominated hardcourt play and as a former Wimbledon champion, is a huge threat on grass.

The only question with Ms. Maria is will her thin frame hold up, and will she choose to play enough to gain the coveted year end mark? She's a major threat at every Slam outside of France and finally believes she can best her nemesis, Justine Henin-Hardenne, when it counts. Sharapova will win her third Slam and several other crowns and finally be called not just the beauty queen of the Internet, but the monarch of her sport.

Rafael Nadal will look to continue his domination on clay in 2007. (Andrew Wong / Getty Images)

Rafael Nadal will win his third consecutive French Open, but not another slam

The Spanish Bull is very ambitious and was smarting at year's end after failing to win another title after he punched out Federer at the French Open.

He trains extremely hard and is aware what he has to due to improve (add pop to his serve and depth to his groundstrokes on fast surfaces), but it's very tough to change one's biomechanics once you become a pro.

Rafa is the only man out there who has shown enough bravado to face down Federer and won't shy away from major battles with the Swiss in 2007, but at 20-years-old, he's still a work in progress.

With his expansive lungs and steely defense, he'll outlast the field at the French Open for third straight year, but the lefty will fall short at every other major. 2008 should be his year to flourish.

The Williams Sisters will ride again — briefly

In great physical and mental health, Serena and Venus Williams are still top five players. But neither has been healthy for full season in four years and there is no indication that once they get back on court in Australia, that they won't quickly become injured again.

In order to regain their dominant status, the sisters need to play for sustained periods of time. Serena thought that she would compete for the U.S. Open title after only a few weeks of play and was sorely mistaken. She hasn't played since then and Venus has only played two matches since Wimbledon due to a lingering wrist injury.

The talent is there, the know-how is there. Now they both have to prove that they are driven enough to succeed again and the only way to do that is to get on court and stay there. If they do, they'll start seriously competing for titles again and one of them — likely Serena — will win another Slam.

Andy Roddick or James Blake will win a Slam, but not both of them

Breaking Federer and Nadal's stranglehold on the sport proved near impossible for the Americans in 2006, as none won a Slam title and only one, Andy Roddick, managed to take a Master Series crown.

But Roddick showed substantial improvement under coach Jimmy Connors in the last four months of the year and James Blake wowed every other player outside of Federer to reach the Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai final.

Both have the firepower to compete with the Swiss, but neither has showed enough consistency or variety to take him down in the long haul, which is why they hold a combined 1-18 record against him.

However, Blake and Roddick have added some new and improved elements to their game (they are both more comfortable at net and more precise with their returns) and one of them will break through and win a non-clay court Slam in 2007. But these days, envisioning two U.S. men to be lifting big trophies in one calendar year is too much to ask.

Kim Clijsters will win a Slam before she retires

The former No. 1 and U.S. Open champ will call it quits at year's end to start a family with her fiancée, U.S. basketball player Brian Lynch. Some think that the broad shouldered Belgian will mail it in, but that's faulty thinking. She has one Slam to her credit and when she's been healthy, Clijsters has still been one of the top 3 hard court players on the planet. She'll find away to stay out of the trainer's room for a substantial part of the year and even though she's getting married in the summer and her mind will at times wander toward choosing wedding dresses, she'll knuckle down and win a Slam. If she doesn't, she'll lose a clear shot at the Hall of Fame.

Justine Henin-Hardenne will claw at Sharapova; Mauresmo won't

There is no tougher or more versatile player in tennis than Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne. She lives and breathes for her sport, isn't concerned about making nice with other players and almost never chokes. Henin is the most accomplished all surface player out there (she reached four Slam finals last year) and seems to be very in tune as to how play herself into contention at every major.

However, as powerful and quick as she is for her small size, she can be hit through and exhausted. That showed in her loss to Amelie Mauresmo in the '06 Australian Open final and to Sharapova in the '06 U.S. Open final. Three time French Open champion Henin is a master at dirt ball tennis and should win her fourth Roland Garros crown, but won't realize her dream of winning the only Slam title that eludes her, Wimbledon. But all year long, she'll be biting at Sharapova's heels, forcing the Russian teen to become a more versatile player.

Mauresmo had a career year in 2006, winning her first two Slams at the Australian and Wimbledon. Outside of Henin, no one is close to as creative as she is. But her body is due for another major breakdown and at age 28, her best years are behind her.

Ana Ivanovic and Andy Murray are the next breakthrough players

There are a number of talented teen and young twenty-something's on both tours, but the young, intelligent Andy Murray and the powerful and adaptable Serb Ivanovic show the most promise.

Of all the big teenage ball strikers of the women's tour, Ivanovic hits her forehand the hardest and is the most impressive closing at the net. She's still a little erratic, needs better balance and could learn a good deal more about strategy, but given how much the 19-year-old improved to crack the top-20 in 2006 , it's hard to see anything but a serious injury keeping her out the top-10. Oh, and she could be a little meaner, too.

Fellow top-20 teen Nicole Vaidisova can gun the ball, Anna Chakvetadze is gritty and Shahar Peer is relentless, but Ivanovic is the only one with the entire makeup of a top-5 player.

Murray is one of the smartest players out there and knows how to use his tools. He has a master motivator in his corner with his coach, Brad Gilbert, has already scored wins over the likes of Federer and Roddick and doesn't have an apparent weakness, outside of his suspect conditioning, which can easily be improved.

Murray is prone to temper tantrums and can be very stubborn, but for the most part, he seems to work through his problems. Publicly, he's a modest sort. Privately, he feels he belongs up there with the best. Lock him into the top 10 and watch him go deep into the second week of a Slam.

Four other youngsters -- Richard Gasquet, Marcos Baghdatis, Novak Djokovic and Tomas Berdych, all have more firepower, but they haven't shown Murray's grit or aptitude for figuring out how to undermine the game's elite.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/6317204?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=199

hablo
Dec 30th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Mauresmo had a career year in 2006, winning her first two Slams at the Australian and Wimbledon. Outside of Henin, no one is close to as creative as she is. But her body is due for another major breakdown and at age 28, her best years are behind her.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/6317204?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=199

Well then, luckily for Momo, she'll still be 27 until july 5th! :tape:

yeu tzuoo wang
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Well then, luckily for Momo, she'll still be 27 until july 5th! :tape:

That has got to be the most retarded nickname ever.

goldenboi356
Dec 30th, 2006, 04:40 AM
whooever wrote this is A apova-ass-kisser. if it's up to him, people with real talent will always come short

Ben.
Dec 30th, 2006, 04:47 AM
tennis writers like cronin aren't gonna be right all the time.

LudwigDvorak
Dec 30th, 2006, 04:57 AM
He had logical predictions. However, the only thing I think is just impossible is Roddick or Blake winning a Slam. Yeah, Roddick's been in four Slam finals, but he's converted one, because of, well, Federer. Neither of them are beating Federer next year. I just hope he's right about Federer finally losing a little bit more. That'd be a nice change of pace.

Ivanovic...Jesus, why do people think she's so great? Yeah, good forehand--what else?

Andrew Laeddis
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:06 AM
He had logical predictions. However, the only thing I think is just impossible is Roddick or Blake winning a Slam. Yeah, Roddick's been in four Slam finals, but he's converted one, because of, well, Federer. Neither of them are beating Federer next year. I just hope he's right about Federer finally losing a little bit more. That'd be a nice change of pace.

Ivanovic...Jesus, why do people think she's so great? Yeah, good forehand--what else?

I do think it will be hard for Roddick or Blake to win a slam, but if Roddick and Blake are the opposite side of the draw as Federer and Federer is upset before the finals, they can definately win one. And i still have the feeling that Roddick will finally get another win over Fed. It'll probably be a best of 3 set match, but thats a start. He came so close in Shaghai and hes only improving.

LudwigDvorak
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:08 AM
You're right, that's something to look forward to. But I just can't help but feel pessimistic because I've been pessimistic about Federer for three years.

PLP
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Kim Clijsters will win a Slam before she retires

The former No. 1 and U.S. Open champ will call it quits at year's end to start a family with her fiancée, U.S. basketball player Brian Lynch. Some think that the broad shouldered Belgian will mail it in, but that's faulty thinking. She has one Slam to her credit and when she's been healthy, Clijsters has still been one of the top 3 hard court players on the planet. She'll find away to stay out of the trainer's room for a substantial part of the year and even though she's getting married in the summer and her mind will at times wander toward choosing wedding dresses, she'll knuckle down and win a Slam. If she doesn't, she'll lose a clear shot at the Hall of Fame.

I don't agree at all, I think she already has a place in the HOF. She has been #1 in singles and doubles, won the YEC 2x, and a USO Crown! I also will be surprised if Kimmie wins a slam this year (happily SO!), but I really don't think it will jeopardize her place in the HOF!

Dan23
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Most predictions on the WTA side are reasonable...but he shrugs Vaidisova off lightly

Shimizu Amon
Dec 30th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Well I keep my fingers crossed for Maria.

But these are just predictions, I do not care at all for those.

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 30th, 2006, 09:32 AM
i think he predicted the wrong people for up and comers but otherwise not a bad article.

jazar
Dec 30th, 2006, 10:54 AM
pretty much all of what they guy has said is bullshit. the only thinks i agree with are sharapova ending #1 and ivanovic breaking through-but she won't be the only one, some others like vaidisova and golovin will as well.
his predictions for the mens game are total rubbish.

saki
Dec 30th, 2006, 11:26 AM
His logic is bizarre. Amelie hasn't had a serious injury in how long? Is arguably the fittest player on tour too and yet her body is 'due for another major breakdown'? Why? But, then, Kim who has been one of the most injury prone players in her short career will manage not to sustain another serious injury? Again, why?

And Serena did challenge for the U.S.Open - she went down in three sets to the world #1 - she didn't win it, but I think the way that she played consititutes a challenge.

And why no mention of Jankovic? Has played far better against the top players than Ivanovic and she got a paragraph.

It doesn't take much to get into the HoF these days. Sabatini was a one slam wonder too and she made it in. Kim will too.

Maria is no longer particularly thin - she's a lot bigger than she was in 2004 in terms of muscle.

I agree with him that next year is going to be all about Justine and Maria, though.

Tenis Srbija
Dec 30th, 2006, 04:09 PM
:haha: Sharapova to end as world NO 1... No way Jose :ras:

Still, Fedex won't win a Slam. Gotta agree there ;)

LudwigDvorak
Dec 31st, 2006, 07:56 AM
Cronin said Federer won't get all four or even three. That's all.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Dec 31st, 2006, 08:33 AM
Rafa will win Aus Open and Roland Garros .

It's all I know

Serge007
Dec 31st, 2006, 08:37 AM
Rafa will win Aus Open
i hope Marcos wil win AO :-)

morningglory
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:11 AM
Well those do sound REASONABLE... no guarantee it'll happen tho

vutt
Dec 31st, 2006, 12:12 PM
Ana Ivanovic and Andy Murray are the next breakthrough players

LOL! Here for me this writer lost his credibility...

Rosslyn
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:31 AM
But all year long, she'll be biting at Sharapova's heels, forcing the Russian teen to become a more versatile player.

Dream on Cronjo :nerner:

mankind
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Nice bump.

hdfb
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Teehee.

Ntour
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:50 AM
:haha:

mankind
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Does it even mention anything about Justine? Aside from her winning RG of course, which is pretty much a no-brainer :silly:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Now that's what I call a JINX THREAD :lol:

doni1212
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Very nice bump.

Donny
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Does it even mention anything about Justine? Aside from her winning RG of course, which is pretty much a no-brainer :silly:

What oddest is that Justine pretty soundly spanked Sharapova at the YEC, yet they still expect Sharapova to dominate... What a ridiculous prediction.

Ben.
Oct 11th, 2007, 05:11 AM
OMG, this is just too funny :haha:

Helaena
Oct 11th, 2007, 05:30 AM
hahaha! good bump!!! i also wonder why jj is not even mentioned there and novak...

:confused:

Rosslyn
Oct 11th, 2007, 05:32 AM

Yes, she'll be biting at Sharapova's heels...Please, Sharapove can only kiss Justine's well rounded little a$s and bow down :bowdown: to lick her feet :lick:

tennisbear7
Oct 11th, 2007, 05:47 AM
:haha:!!!

Dan23
Oct 11th, 2007, 05:51 AM
The only question with Ms. Maria is will her thin frame hold up...
He covered his ass there anyway......and no, sadly it didnt

cardio
Oct 11th, 2007, 07:27 AM
When will journalists learn : do not write prediction articles, dont play Nostradamus !:) Sharapova no 1, Blake or Roddick major winners in 2007, Cljisters major winner before she retires, big breakthrough year for Murray but not for Djokovic ?! I have been luckier predicting lottery winning numbers than Cronin with his 2007 tennis year predictions.

homogenius
Oct 11th, 2007, 07:30 AM
When you read the crap of Cronin, Weirtheim and others year after year, you wonder why they're still called "experts".

cheo23
Oct 11th, 2007, 07:49 AM
If Maria's injury heals by the TIME she plays Zurich, Linz and YEC, she will be no.1!!!!!!!!!!!! Just WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!

switz
Oct 11th, 2007, 08:39 AM
If Maria's injury heals by the TIME she plays Zurich, Linz and YEC, she will be no.1!!!!!!!!!!!! Just WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!

err even if she won all those tournaments and Justine didn't win a match she still wouldn't be number 1.

switz
Oct 11th, 2007, 08:41 AM
and although Cronin's prediction looks dumb he's actually been reasonably insightful because he made a point about her lack her strength for such a big body the risk it posed with the game she plays.

still highly doubtful she would have finished number 1 if she were fully healthy. probably number 2 but i still think she would have suffered some heavy defeats.

homogenius
Oct 11th, 2007, 08:47 AM

No.Davenport will be n°1 after her future Quebec's win.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Oct 11th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Not possible. Justine can skip the remaining tournaments and still be No.1 even if Maria wins them all.

Wait, there is a possibility... Larry Scott could change the rules.... each time Maria plays, she will be awarded 1000 points.... :tape:

Helaena
Oct 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM

oh!!!!!! come on!!!!!! dream on!!!!! get it together!!!!!!

MisterMan
Oct 11th, 2007, 11:37 AM
He was right about Ivanovic, Federer, Nadal, Williams. And he was wrong about Maria, Murray (only due to injury) and Kim.
Give the guy half a break...

Vlover
Oct 11th, 2007, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=bucklemyshoe;9694504]Federer won't Slam, Sharapova will rise to top
Matthew Cronin
Sharapova will win her third Slam and several other crowns and finally be called not just the beauty queen of the Internet, but the monarch of her sport.

Obviously this is Cronin's dream for his "beauty" queen.:lol: Anyway I wonder if he actually knows exactly what is going on with her considering he's firmly secured up her ass.:tape:

Jenin fan
Oct 11th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I thought Henin has to win Wimbledon to be considered the most accomplished all court player? Isn't Serena more accomplished with her Wimbledon wins?:confused:

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM
wow nice bump lol....

hingis-seles
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM
How many of us would have correctly predicted what happened this year, at the end of last year? I don't think he did too badly.

rottweily
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM
:rolls: must be very hard for him to take, because he loves Justine soo much :rolls:
Nice bump, that Cronin reads this board makes it even better :D

hnwortman
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Hahahaha--That Sharapova will make it to the end of the year number one is not a fact or a preminition anymore. Anyone knows that with her injury and not even getting past the first round at the Kremlin Open she cannot do that. If she got to first, she would have to win all of the rest of the year. We all know even that would not put her into first. She got an easy draw to win the US OPEN and came sooo close. She could have won easily. Overall, this has not been a very good year for Sharapova since she did not get past semifinals many times. She will be in the championships, hopefully she can win that. I hope she gets rid of her shoulder injury soon so she can come back in good condition next year. If she cannot play tennis the rest of this year, it is better for her not to despite her fans wishes.

hnwortman
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Who will end number one this year? Justine Henin. She is hard to beat.

hablo
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Mauresmo had a career year in 2006, winning her first two Slams at the Australian and Wimbledon. Outside of Henin, no one is close to as creative as she is. But her body is due for another major breakdown and at age 28, her best years are behind her.:crying2:

Koda
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Who will end number one this year? Justine Henin. She is hard to beat.

ITS BEEN CONFIRMED ACTUALLY...

Koda
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
:crying2:

:hug: poor momo...

cardio
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:01 PM
well, he was wrong about Sharapova, Roddick, Blake,Clijsters, Murray, Djokovic.
He was half right, half wrong about Federer and Henin. Fed actually won 3 GS tournaments( not 2 as Cronin predicted) and if" his luck is bound to turn(!!!)", it didnt happen in 2007. Henin did not win Wimbledon, but she did`nt spend her year " biting at Sharapova`s heels" either.
He was right about Williams sisters, Mauresmo, Nadal and Ivanovic.

mattcronin
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:01 AM
2008 ones up on foxsports.com/tennis

let me have it:)

sfselesfan
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:07 AM

Shameless FOX worthy plug. Because otherwise, no one would look at Fox Sports. Incompetent troll.

SF

Ninny
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:55 AM

Please don't tell me they pay you to make incorrect predictions year in and year out! :help: Do they have money to burn? :eek:

So what happened with your 2007 predictions? :spit:

DaMamaJama87
Dec 19th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Please don't tell me they pay you to make incorrect predictions year in and year out! :help: Do they have money to burn? :eek:

So what happened with your 2007 predictions? :spit:

Do you have to be so rude all the time? Matt Cronin is a professional journalist who actually gets paid for doing this. Tennis predictions for 2007 were a crapshoot anyway but he still managed to make some very insightful predictions(that Ivanovic would break through, that Mauresmo's body would break down, that Sharapova's health was the potential fly in the ointment, that Justine wouldn't win Wimbledon and that the Williamses would win slams). Do you have the courage to write your own detailed predictions about 2008 and let the world see it? Oh wait, that's right, no self-respecting publication worth crap would be interested in hearing or printing anything from you. :sad:

Dan23
Dec 19th, 2007, 01:30 AM

You remembered this thread? ;)
Maybe there needs to be a new one now for 08.

Not so bold predictions about Maria this year....which is possibly a good thing. I would hope that if Maria stays fit she will more than cover your predictions in 2008 :cool:

Seyz
Dec 19th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Um.. Sharapova # 1 next year? But she didn't even win any slam this year. That seems to indicate she's not nearly as much at the top as he would like to believe.
I'm not a Justine fan (I'm actually a Williams fan), but Justine seems like she has the best shot right?. I don't think mauresmo's best years are behind her. Uh.. She just her a career high 1 year ago, and now she's done??! and Jankovic has much more potential to do better in the rankings than Ivanovic and could even maybe beat Sharapova next year in the rankings if she plays everything and anything this coming year like she did last year.

DONGMEI
Dec 19th, 2007, 02:34 AM
:lol::lol::lol:when re-reading the prediction.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 19th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Great Bump!

treufreund
Dec 19th, 2007, 03:08 AM
D'oh! Busted!

sfselesfan
Dec 19th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Oh wait, that's right, no self-respecting publication worth crap would be interested in hearing or printing anything from you. :sad:

I don't think Ninny is always rude, and what he said here has merit.

Nor should any publication be interested in anything Cronin writes. Looking at the article, it's clear that all he does is state the obvious. The majority of posters on this forum could have written that crap.

Personally, I nominate Miffedmax for Cronin's job. At least he's insightful and humorous...Cronin is neither.

SF

Lucyxx
Dec 19th, 2007, 03:31 AM
It's hard not to mention her right now in 2008 year end #1.

DaMamaJama87
Dec 19th, 2007, 03:42 AM
I don't think Ninny is always rude, and what he said here has merit.

Nor should any publication be interested in anything Cronin writes. Looking at the article, it's clear that all he does is state the obvious. The majority of posters on this forum could have written that crap.

Personally, I nominate Miffedmax for Cronin's job. At least he's insightful and humorous...Cronin is neither.

SF

You're missing the point. No predictions can be close to accurate in a sport like women's tennis today which is known for its unpredictability. While Cronin might state many of the same things people on this board state, he justifies it better and has a more balanced approach. If somebody from the board wrote predictions, yes they could get as many right as Cronin did but they'd almost surely also include some crazy off-the-wall predictions which would look really stupid. Wtaworld posters are just more gullible or irrational enough to predict things like Szavay making the top 5 next year or Seles or Dementieva winning a slam. Real journalists know better. Also, it may seem like Cronin just 'stated the obvious' because he was so close with many predictions. Many of the things in that article weren't 'obvious' to most at this time last year. Like Serena and Venus winning slams, they'd been written off by most of the 'experts' on this board.

karimcartoon
Dec 19th, 2007, 06:28 AM
uh am i the only one who thinks this is from 2006 not 2007?

slamchamp
Dec 19th, 2007, 11:06 AM
It's not a fair predicition cause maria was injured the entire year

Tenis Srbija
Dec 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM
:rolls: So much about that... :rolleyes:

Matt01
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:03 PM
It's not a fair predicition cause maria was injured the entire year

I've heard people saying similar things about Serena and Venus. :o

Cp6uja
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Do you have to be so rude all the time? Matt Cronin is a professional journalist who actually gets paid for doing this. Tennis predictions for 2007 were a crapshoot anyway but he still managed to make some very insightful predictions(that Ivanovic would break through, that Mauresmo's body would break down, that Sharapova's health was the potential fly in the ointment, that Justine wouldn't win Wimbledon and that the Williamses would win slams). Do you have the courage to write your own detailed predictions about 2008 and let the world see it? Oh wait, that's right, no self-respecting publication worth crap would be interested in hearing or printing anything from you. :sad:I agree with you.

He have courage after her best career 2006 season to not count Mauresmo like relevant 2007 factor. On other hand sisters 2006 season is total disaster, but he predict great comeback of both in 2007. Ivanovic finished 2005 like #16, 2006 like #14 - but he put her in 2007 TOP5 players and separate her out of other young guns (Nicole, Anna, Peer). He switch 2007 roles between Henin and Sharapova because dont predict hard injury problems with Maria and career best season of Justine but that is not the end of the world. What you all ween like good 2007 predictions... "Marion Bartoli will play Wimbledon final" or something like that?

Cronin is always been competent writer - this predictions is not perfect example, but still its not that bad.

austennis
Dec 19th, 2007, 01:07 PM
he didnt do that badly.. he was rigth bout nadal winning only 1, bout ana being the breakthrough player, bout venus and serena rising to the top again - he couldnt know that this would b the 1st year injuries werent a huge factor... he did as well and if not better than most of us could/would do

rottweily
Dec 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM
You remembered this thread? ;)

Of course he did, he spends most of his time lurking on this board searching for the latest gossip, and to get all the latest pics of Sharapova to drool over.

Volcana
Dec 19th, 2007, 01:28 PM
That was actually a pretty accurate set of predictions. The only place he went wrong was in not realizing that Venus/Serena could both beat Sharapova so easily.

Sharapova - She's a major threat at every Slam outside of France.True
The Williams Sisters will ride again — briefly.

Now they both have to prove that they are driven enough to succeed again and the only way to do that is to get on court and stay there. If they do, they'll start seriously competing for titles again and one of them — likely Serena — will win another Slam.Turned out true
Kim Clijsters will win a Slam before she retirestechnically true, though of course he actually meant ANOTHER slam.
Justine Henin-Hardenne will claw at Sharapova; Mauresmo won'tWell, if 'claw at' means 'beat her like a drum' ..... he was right baout Mauresmo though

Nicole Vaidisova can gun the balltrue
Anna Chakvetadze is gritty a statement that means nothing except he knew her name
Shahar Peer is relentlesstrue
Ivanovic is the only one with the entire makeup of a top-5 player.He's totally forgot JJ existed, but Artificial Intelligence did have a very good year, including making a slam final and a semi.

If he had figured in advance that Sharapova couldn't compete with Venus or Serena, how would he have written this? And after 2006, why would anybody make that assumption?

jacobruiz
Dec 20th, 2007, 08:53 PM
He should have prefaced his statement with, "barring injury...".

Volcana
Dec 20th, 2007, 09:17 PM
It's not a fair predicition cause maria was injured the entire yearYou hear that bullshit excuse in every sport. I hate it. If you're too injured to compete, don't. If you show up and get beat, you got beat. Sharapova won when she was the better player that day, and lost when the opposition was better, that's all. You didn't hear Henin's whining 'she was injured' after she lost to Bartoli. At the US Open, I'd love to have been able to say 'Venus was anemic' after she lost to Henin. But she chose to play. So anemia becomes irrelevant.
You would have to be grossly incapacitated for me to accept an injury excuse. Miami 2000, Hingis vs Seles comes to mind. OTOH Hingis vs Venus, OZ 2001, was a tournament I didn't think Venus should even have played. She looked like she was 20 pounds underweight, and there's not much of Venus to begin with. But play she did. And Hingis thrashed her, 6-1 6-1.

slamchamp
Dec 20th, 2007, 09:22 PM
whatever