PDA

View Full Version : Is Martina Hingis the Transformer of tennis?

kinglear
Dec 30th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Martina Hingis

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/bennyhannas/martina93wimbledoncopy.jpg

I wrote this recently because it just came to me. I figured I'd post it.

Is Martina Hingis the Transformer of tennis?

There are structures that are made of hard, cold and shiny steel and bruise with excruciating force that rule the world, but these structures are often one-dimensional beasts who underestimate small structures that are less shiny and seemingly less powerful. This small structure can often deceive the larger structures by transforming their strengths into her strengths, which is always nothing short of magic.

Like the shape shifting characters from the classic 1980s sci-fi series, “Transformers,” Martina Hingis is inarguably the transformer of the tennis world. Like a wizard, Hingis transforms pummeling shots thrown at her into slicing drop shots that cut off points as smoothly and quickly as a knife through butter. She transforms her opponents’ serves into unreachable returns that are near back-breaking.

What is so impressive and unearthly about Martina Hingis is how she can adjust her playing style to her opponent’s style of play. She is not about just hitting balls to simply get them over the net; she instead may hit two shots to her opponent’s forehand on the deuce side of the court and then on the third shot she drop shots the ball to the corner of the add sideline. Voila! The point is over. Or Hingis could perform her trademark combination of a drop shot (which somehow doesn’t end the point) followed by a top spinning lob that 9 times out of 10 lands in or on the line.

Hingis’ petite 5’7” frame makes her very deceptive, so that’s why she must use her brain to quietly attack her opponents’ power shots. That’s why she is the transformer of the game because she molds her game into different shapes and components that all fit together to form a magnificent puzzle. The majestic drop shots, the lobs, the backhands down the lines, and classic volleying are like the kings, queens, bishops and pawns that maneuver around a chessboard. In her 2006 comeback, Martina Hingis is transforming her game once again by adding more power to her shots, which allows her to go blow for blow with the most imposing ball busters on the WTA tour. If Hingis never played professional tennis again, her elegant play will be forever remembered as making tennis a more intelligent and complex sport.

treufreund
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Martina :hearts:

Hingie
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Kinglear - this leads me to a statement Wally Masur said about Hingis a few years ago now which i created a thread on ages ago.

He basically said something along the lines of Hingis is probably the most talented tennis player to have played the game... her results may or may not reflect this.

He was pretty much referring to the fact she's one of the most natural players he has seen play and the only thing that stops her is the blatant power of others. When she has time, she can pretty much do everything and anything she wants with the ball.

Pretty strong statement and i completely agree.

kinglear
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:04 AM
her results may or may not reflect this.

You're right, that is a strong and flattering statement. I've always said that Martina shows brilliance in all her matches, even her worst matches. At the recent WTA championships, she played amazingly. Her matches against Mauresmo and Henin-Hardenne could have gone either way. And of course, she beat Petrova. :bounce: YAY! haha Although there are naysayers who say she can't compete with their power, she obviously proved that she can. That's what's amazing about Hingis' game, she can wrongfoot the hardest-hitting players and if they can get to the shot or can't get into proper position, they're either going to hit the ball to a spot accessible for Hingis or they'll hit the ball wide or long or shank it. I freakin love that about her. I love her attitude. She's nice now, but she still has that feistiness. She's my favorite player for life! I love Dementieva too, but Hingis is magnificent. During today's women's matches, you don't hear the oohs and ahhs that the crowd makes for Hingis, because pounding the ball gets boring. It's boring because you don't look at them to see what they're going to do because you already know they're just going to hit the ball back and forth. All of that typing pretty much sums up how I feel about Martina Hingis. :)

Chewie
Dec 30th, 2006, 09:01 AM
You're right, that is a strong and flattering statement. I've always said that Martina shows brilliance in all her matches, even her worst matches.

Have to agree. At Martina's matches, there are always some special points that you rarely see at other players matches. Her volley touch is in class of her own.

And yes, she is a transformer! :)

PLP
Dec 30th, 2006, 10:44 AM
At Martina's matches, there are always some special points that you rarely see at other players matches. Her volley touch is in class of her own.

And yes, she is a transformer! :)

That's definitely true. I particularly like her Block-angled-forehand return-of-serve winners that seem to come out of nowhere, drop-dead volleys, and barely touched single-handed BH on the run LOB winners!
...not that other players can't execute these shots well, it's just the ease that Martina comes up with it for me...:worship: :worship: :worship:

lynch79
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Martina:hearts: :angel:

TonyP
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I would have to say that Hingis has already made a major impact on tennis, both due to her game and her force of personality. She is a unique figure in the history of women's professional sports.

kinglear
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=TonyP;9697320]I would have to say that Hingis has already made a major impact on tennis, both due to her game and her force of personality. QUOTE]

Exactly. It's just a matter of Hingis adding more to the history books. That's what makes me sad about Elena Dementieva because it seems that's she put in the same category with all the Russian newbies when she's a veteran.

geoepee
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I see her more as a Decepticon than an Autobot...

http://www.choiceshirts.com/images/PL/-0/PL-00218A-md.jpg

Tenis Srbija
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM
NO...she is not :ras:

MikeJones
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:40 PM
NO...she is not :ras:

To each his own :tape: But geez, you donot have to be a bitch about it.

Her may have been the smartest player to ever play the womens game. If she had more power she would have been the greatest in history imo.

Tenis Srbija
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Mike don't get of yours chair :)
I was just joking... You see " :ras: "
Stupid question...of course she is! Why would anyone ask is she :)

PLP
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:27 PM

:lol:

Karolina_Sprem
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Kinglear - this leads me to a statement Wally Masur said about Hingis a few years ago now which i created a thread on ages ago.

He basically said something along the lines of Hingis is probably the most talented tennis player to have played the game... her results may or may not reflect this.

He was pretty much referring to the fact she's one of the most natural players he has seen play and the only thing that stops her is the blatant power of others. When she has time, she can pretty much do everything and anything she wants with the ball.

I agree with this statement.....
In my opinion Swiss Miss is smartest player on women tour EVER...
I always admire while watching her and for me she is much better player then Davenport, Williams sisters, Seles, Capriati etc etc etc....

Hingie
Dec 31st, 2006, 05:35 AM

Haha - i love it!

I couldn't help myself... i had to take it one step further...

Knock em out Marti! ;)