PDA

View Full Version : One match wonders...

cartmancop
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Stolen from MTF :)

Name a match, where a player burst out of nowhere to upset a top player, (even better if on a big stage) & then faded back into nowhere after the win...

not the best example, but..
*Bychkova over Kuznetsova 2005 USO 1R 6/3 6/2, horrible match from Svetlana, but was a HUGE surprise as the defending champion went out for the 2nd time that year in a GS... Bychkova proceeded to lose in straight sets in the next round and hasn't had another win that comes close to matching that...

Marissa Irvin over Justine H-H 2002 Stanford 1R 6-3 4-6 6-1, I had forgotten about this one, JHH had just come off from a Wimbledon SF and then this totally shocked everyone...

I'm sure many of you can think of better examples than that. I should have looked up where Federer's gf beat JHH a loooong time ago, but JHH wasn't really an established player so it wasnt like a big deal :)

So Disrespectful
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Marlene Weingartner d. Jennifer Capriati Australian Open 2004.

TS
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Pironkova beating Venus at the AO in 06.

cartmancop
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Marlene Weingartner d. Jennifer Capriati Australian Open 2004.

yes for sure...I had forgotten about that. Hadn't JCap had eye surgery or something in the offseason right before that? That was a HUGE shock.

cartmancop
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Kleinova over Dementieva 2004 Wimbledon 6-4 1-6 6-4

Viktymise
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Kleinova beating Dementieva Wimbledon 04 is one that always comes to mind, that was one of her only wins in a MD event that yr :tape:

Pironkova is not a one match wonder. She still has her whole career ahead of her she's only 19, plus she beat ALG at Wimbledon who had just previously gotten to the quaters of RG losing to the eventual champ and the quaters of Eastbourne losing to Kuznetsova in three extremely tight sets. Tszveti also beat Na Li when she was top 20 this yr after her run at Wimbledon, and she beat her in straights. You can't really call young players one match wonders when they have years ahead of them

So Disrespectful
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:30 PM
yes for sure...I had forgotten about that. Hadn't JCap had eye surgery or something in the offseason right before that? That was a HUGE shock.

Yeah, she'd had her eye done a week or two prior. Weingartner was so happy after that win :lol:

LudwigDvorak
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Schruff beating Dementieva. Definitely. Pironkova beating Vee was a surprise too.

So Disrespectful
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Sprem d. Venus at Wimbledon 2004. Although I do have respect for Karolina and she has the potential to do more.

Tenis Srbija
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Jelena Janković - Elena Dementieva 6-4 6-1 (Australian Open 2004.) :ras: :D

.Andrew.
Dec 30th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Jidkova def S. Williams at Linz 2004 7-6(6), 6-2 :tape:

cartmancop
Dec 30th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Tian Tian Sun - Serena Williams 2005 Beijing 6-2 7-6(7) Oh Serena :eek:

That one was a headliner for WTAworld :)

Ms Tracy Austin
Dec 30th, 2006, 01:44 AM
In 1990 at the U.S. Open, there was a pure baseliner named Linda Ferrando from Italy, who after dropping the first set 1-6 to Monica Seles, came to the net on nearly every point after to clinch the upset 1-6, 6-1, 7-6. Seles had just won the French Open over Graf 7-6, 6-4, and a few weeks prior to the Open had defeated Navratilova in a nailbiting three set final in the Virginia Slims of Los Angles 6-3, 4-6, 7-6... this is quite possibly/arguably the greatest one match wonder (and upset) of all time.

AjdeNate!
Dec 30th, 2006, 02:19 AM
In 1990 at the U.S. Open, there was a pure baseliner named Linda Ferrando from Italy, who after dropping the first set 1-6 to Monica Seles, came to the net on nearly every point after to clinch the upset 1-6, 6-1, 7-6. Seles had just won the French Open over Graf 7-6, 6-4, and a few weeks prior to the Open had defeated Navratilova in a nailbiting three set final in the Virginia Slims of Los Angles 6-3, 4-6, 7-6... this is quite possibly/arguably the greatest one match wonder (and upset) of all time.
Horrid memories.... I still blame Karolj for negotiating a new racket deal (from Prince to Yonex) literally just before the match. This was Mon's first match with a new stick. But great play from Linda The Giant Killer. She really hung tough and didn't give away anything.

Maggie&MomoFan
Dec 30th, 2006, 05:08 AM
german di natale def mary pierce in madrid 2000 after the incredible family circle cup and right before mary went on to win RG

Mana
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:11 AM
That chick from Canada someone Gloria comes to mind. She beat Dani a couple of years ago.

bmwofoz
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Linda with that one Win is one of the few to have a winning record over Seles.:lol:

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:58 AM
That chick from Canada someone Gloria comes to mind. She beat Dani a couple of years ago.

In the words of Serena Williams "That never happened, I dont know what your talking about" :p :lol:

Marcus1979
Dec 30th, 2006, 07:00 AM
what about Clarissa Fernandez what has she done in recent years?

tommystar
Dec 30th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Horrid memories.... I still blame Karoly for negotiating a new racket deal (from Prince to Yonex) literally just before the match. This was Mon's first match with a new stick. But great play from Linda The Giant Killer. She really hung tough and didn't give away anything.

Really? Did Seles play her first 2 rounds with the Prince. I remember Seles stated in the book about her that Prince cancelled the making of that type of Prince racquet, that's why she had to change.

Topic match.
What about Minter d. Evert in 89 Canada one of Chris' last matches?

Uranus
Dec 30th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Jelena Janković - Elena Dementieva 6-4 6-1 (Australian Open 2004.) :ras: :D
Jeca is certainly no one-match wonder ;)

gmak
Dec 30th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Sonya Jeyaseelan def. Venus Williams AMELIA ISLAND 1999 :eek:
Germana DiNatale def. Mary Pierce MADRID 2000 :help:
Rita KutiKis def. Jennifer Capriati ROME 2001 :lol:
Sandra Kleinova def. Elena Dementieva WIMBLEDON 2004 :devil: :sad:
Aniko Kapros def. Justine Henin FRENCH OPEN 2002 :eek: (though she was ill)
Tian-Tian Sun def. Serena Williams BEIJING 2005
Claudine Schaul def. Lindsay Davenport STRASBOURG 2004 :help: :o

i can't put Weingartner as a one-upset wonder, because she had a few good wins especially at the slams...

.Andrew.
Dec 30th, 2006, 01:14 PM
How about Alina Jidkova over S. Williams ;) :p

.Andrew.
Dec 30th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Yep, Melanie Gloria def Daniela at the Quebec City tournament I think the Bell Challenge.... :lol: :tape: :help:

40-15
Dec 31st, 2006, 04:21 AM
Kath Horvath defeat Martina Navratilova at the French Open, Martina's only loss of 1981.

brunof
Dec 31st, 2006, 04:41 AM

i can't put Weingartner as a one-upset wonder, because she had a few good wins especially at the slams...

I remember when Sandra beat Dementieva at Wimbledon, and she was crying afterwards. It was nice to see how much it meant to her.

Here's another interesting fact I stumbled upon when looking up the lovely Karina Habsudova: (In 1994 Karina was the lowest ranked player ever to defeat a reigning Wimbledon champ I believe.)

It concerns Ludmila Cervanova:

"In fourth Tour event and seventh main draw match, ranked No.111, scored career-best win at Budapest, d. world No.4 Novotna in 1r, becoming lowest-ranked player since computer rankings began in November 1975 to d. a reigning Wimbledon champion, and tied for third-fastest (with Evert) to defeat a Top 5 player."

I don't think this record has been broken since.

cartmancop
Dec 31st, 2006, 05:30 AM
Yep, Melanie Gloria def Daniela at the Quebec City tournament I think the Bell Challenge.... :lol: :tape: :help:

She's at Fresno State now! She as in the top 20 during last season and gots lots of recognition, 11-3 this fall with wins over #s 1 & 10 :)

*It mentions the win over Hantuchova on her profile, not many (or any I can think of now) players in NCAA tennis can boast a win like that...

samn
Dec 31st, 2006, 08:52 AM
Really? Did Seles play her first 2 rounds with the Prince. I remember Seles stated in the book about her that Prince cancelled the making of that type of Prince racquet, that's why she had to change.

I seriously doubt it. No player, especially a top one, would change his/her racquet midway through a Grand Slam tournament. I've the post-USO issue of World Tennis (1990) where there's an ad stating that Seles played and won the Virginia Slims of Los Angeles with her new Yonex racquet. It seems more plausible that Seles would have tried to play at least warmup event with a new racquet before trying it out at a Slam.

Topic match.
What about Minter d. Evert in 89 Canada one of Chris' last matches?

Anne Minter, I presume? Did she do anything else in her career apart from beating Evert and complaining that foreign-born (naturalized) players like Hana Mandlikova were robbing "true" Australians such as herself of the chance of representing Australia in the Federation Cup?

Back to the subject of this thread: I nominate Kate Gompert. She had a respectable career, but her only moment of glory came at the 1987 Virginia Slims of Florida where she scored a win over Chris Evert.

Declan
Dec 31st, 2006, 09:11 AM
Anne Minter also had wins over Steffi Graf, Zina Garrison, Sue Barker, Hana Mandlikova, Manuela Maleeva, Pam Shriver and Helena Sukova, so the win over an about-to-retire wasn't SUCH a surprise.
Kate Gompert's win over Chris Evert makes more sense when you remember that that was the first tournament for Chris following a five-month injury break, the longest of her career.

Geertvg
Dec 31st, 2006, 09:29 AM
Clarisa Fernandez beating Kim in the French Open?

And Leanne Baker beating Mirjam Oremans ;)

Ambition
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:28 AM
Tathiana Garbin def Justine Henin-Hardenne Roland Garros 2004

Highlandman
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:41 AM
Why always Weingartner-Capriari? Weingartner also won two times against Sanchez-Vicario, Amanda Coetzer, Sandrine Testud,Nadia Petrova, Conchita Martinez and other good players...some other of this "One-Hit-Wonders" only beat a good player one time, but she did it more often!

tommystar
Jan 1st, 2007, 02:06 PM
Why always Weingartner-Capriari? Weingartner also won two times against Sanchez-Vicario, Amanda Coetzer, Sandrine Testud,Nadia Petrova, Conchita Martinez and other good players...some other of this "One-Hit-Wonders" only beat a good player one time, but she did it more often!

Yes, but she beat those top players in the part of their carriers, when almost those players didn't beat them who weren't drawn to them. :lol:

Craigy
Jan 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM
Tian-Tian Sun also beat Vera Zvonareva ;)

Viktymise
Jan 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
Tian-Tian Sun also beat Vera Zvonareva ;)

She beat Schnyder last yr in New Haven aswell, took Mauresmo to 3 sets at the Aus Open last yr and won a tier 4 title in Tashkent too beating Tulyaganova in the final

Jippo McScally
Jan 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM
Tathiana Garbin def Justine Henin-Hardenne Roland Garros 2004

Garbin beat Seles in Indian Wells in 2001 7-6(6) 3-6 6-4

vswfan
Jan 1st, 2007, 02:47 PM
How about Alina Jidkova over S. Williams ;) :p

Serena said that she was in "ladies time". so its not Jidkova's wonder but Serena's bad luck. lol

Craigy
Jan 1st, 2007, 02:49 PM
Serena said that she was in "ladies time". so its not Jidkova's wonder but Serena's bad luck. lol

Serena was suffering from a migrane in that match. She later went on to start doing something about that, as many other women suffer from the problem she gets.

Highlandman
Jan 1st, 2007, 02:52 PM
Yes, but she beat those top players in the part of their carriers, when almost those players didn't beat them who weren't drawn to them. :lol:

Uhm maybe, their rankings were pretty good there:

Weingartner def Coetzer (7) 6-4,7-6
Weingartner def Coetzer (17) 6-1,6-4
Weingartner def Testud (11) 6-2,7-6
Weingartner def Sanchez-Vicario (8) 6-1,6-4
Weingartner def Sanchez-Vicario (17) 3-6,6-1,6-4
Weingartner def Petrova (8) 6-3,6-2
Weingartner def Martinez (26) 6-2,7-5 --> Okay, 26, but it was on clay ;)
Weingartner def Daniilidou (15) 7-6,6-3
Weingartner def Capriati (3) 2-6,7-6,6-4

I think that are really good ones:p :angel: - it is so pity that she never reached the Top-20, she had so much talent:sad: :sad: :sad: :bigcry: - Sun finished her carrer....

marisa
Jan 1st, 2007, 03:11 PM
T.Tanasugarn beats A.Mauresmo in Wimbledon !!
Also beats D.Hantuchova in US Open !!

Joachim1978
Jan 1st, 2007, 03:20 PM
How about Katarina Studenikova over Monica Seles 7-5 5-7 6-4 in the second round of Wimbledon in 1996?.....Studenikova went on to reach the fourth round, but I can't seem to recall any significant wins after that.

And this was prime time, centre court, Seles's first Wimbledon since the stabbing. Talk about a big stage.

or Kim Po over Lindsay Davenport at the 1997 Australian Open? Although I think Po was a pretty consistent top 30 player for a few years.

*Jool*
Jan 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM

Jeyaseelan had wins over Tauziat and Martinez in AO and Wimbledon in 2000
I guess she 's then a "three-matches wonder" ? :p

njnetswill
Jan 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM
What about Morigami over Petrova, RG 2006.

vogus
Jan 1st, 2007, 04:34 PM
Melanie Gloria's only WTA main draw match win was over Hantuchova at QC, right? I think she barely won any other matches in WTA qualifying, let alone main draws... did she quit the tour?

Joana
Jan 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM
Melanie Gloria's only WTA main draw match win was over Hantuchova at QC, right? I think she barely won any other matches in WTA qualifying, let alone main draws... did she quit the tour?

I think she reached the QF of Quebec that year, so she had to have won at least one more WTA main draw match.