PDA

View Full Version : first round byes

jimbo mack
Dec 29th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I thought that hingis would have a first round bye but I saw in another thread that she's up against bammer in the first round. I had it in my head that tier 3's offer first round byes to the top 2 seeds. Strasbourg gave the top 2 seeds first round byes last year but last year Gold Coast didn't. Although in previous Gold Coast tournies they've offered first round byes (e.g 2003). I'm confused - what's the rule here cuz they're all over the place at the moment?!

jimbo mack
Dec 29th, 2006, 12:50 PM
i don't understand how some tier 3's offer byes and some don't? is there a set rule by the WTA?

disco_rage
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I think they should definately get rid of BYEs...

Except for LARGE EVENTS like Indian Wells, Miami etc!

jimbo mack
Dec 29th, 2006, 02:42 PM
no-body seems to know the answer :o

-Sonic-
Dec 29th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Well other tourneys seem to have unique draws..... Birmingham, a Tier 3 with a 56 draw, Amelia Island, a tier 2 with a 56 draw.... I don't know the answer but assumed it was down to the tournament itself - more likely to get a top player if u offer them a bye?

selyoink
Dec 29th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I can't answer the question but I would also like to see byes get eliminated.

Belco
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:05 PM
they should be saying bye bye to the BYE's :)

LudwigDvorak
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I'd just respect tournaments more if there were no byes and the players who win them. Winning four matches to get a Tier I title just seems so...bleh. It's Tier I! It should be five or six!