PDA

View Full Version : what do u think of ashley harkleroad's potential/talent?

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I think she could be top 20 easily but i dont know what she is doing? :shrug:

i know this is somewhat of a stale topic but not much has been said of her recently... just wondering what people think NOW.

Brooklyn90
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:47 AM
i used to think she could be in the top 20 but not so much anymore, hopfully she proves me wrong :yeah:

Mana
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Top 30 for sure. She seems to have stalled somewhat since bursting on to the scene a few years ago. She needs to ditch challengers.

UncleZeke
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Top fifty seems like a realistic goal for the new year.
Top thirty doesn't. Too much good, young talent on the tour..

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Top 20, max.

:shrug:

Highlandman
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Now I would say Top-30;)

LefandePatty
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:00 AM
#1 for sure. ;)

Tenis Srbija
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:01 AM
She needs a serious trainer... With one she could be in top 20 asap!!! C'mon Ashley :worship: :kiss:

So Disrespectful
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:36 AM
That is a good question! Ashley has always been a mystery to me. So much potential, such a beautiful defensive game. When she burst onto the scene she was easily top 10 material. At one point she looked more likely to succeed than Kournikova, but then she stagnated.

A few average years later and she's a solid top 80 player. It's hard to swallow when you see her push Sharapova to the brink, but we have to accept that Ashley just can't seem to string together a solid performance at this point. With players like Ashley though, one good run at a tournament can really set her whole career off.

The Hopman Cup is an ideal start to '07 for her and hopefully she can get the confidence that her game so desperately needs. I would be more than shocked if she didn't at least make the top 30-40 again.

MyskinaManiac
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:52 AM
So true

Carsten
Dec 29th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I like her and her game which is good enough for top 20 for sure, but she's mentally not that good that she could do it... but I would be very happy if she could :)

.Andrew.
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I love Ashley. She bursted on to the scene in 2003 and was playing great but now, I think she's good enough for Top 50 :)

disco_rage
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I'm a fan of Ashley's so maybe i am biased but i think for sure she can be in the Top 20-30. She has the game, she just needs some confidence, a better coach and improved fitness. I'm not sure she has the right mentality to be a really Top player! But i think 2007 could be a good year for her...

Look at her results at Charleston in 2003 when she was ranked No.101
1r defeated Emilie Loit (World No.51) 63 24 retired
2r defeated Elena Bovina (World No.16) 62 62
3r defeated Meghann Shaughnessy (World No.19) 62 62
QF defeated Daniela Hantuchova (World No.9) 62 61
before losing 62 61 to Justine Henin-Hardenne (World No.4) in SF.

auntie janie
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I can see her ranked around 30-50. She could certainly make forays into even higher territory, but I'm not convinced she'd be able to maintain a top-30 position for extended periods of time.

charmedRic
Dec 29th, 2006, 02:29 PM
That is a good question! Ashley has always been a mystery to me. So much potential, such a beautiful defensive game. When she burst onto the scene she was easily top 10 material. At one point she looked more likely to succeed than Kournikova, but then she stagnated.

A few average years later and she's a solid top 80 player. It's hard to swallow when you see her push Sharapova to the brink, but we have to accept that Ashley just can't seem to string together a solid performance at this point. With players like Ashley though, one good run at a tournament can really set her whole career off.

The Hopman Cup is an ideal start to '07 for her and hopefully she can get the confidence that her game so desperately needs. I would be more than shocked if she didn't at least make the top 30-40 again.

ditto.:wavey:

rockstar
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:49 PM
i pretty much remember her for beating daniela, havent really heard bout her since :shrug:

Viktymise
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Top 50, she doesn't have any weapons which could define her as a top 20 or even top 30 player. She moves well, has a decent serve, can mix it up a bit, her groundies are pretty good, she's not a power player and against someone with a greater weight of shot she struggles but i like her fight. I can see her being top 50 but top 20 :shrug: i don't think so, she may prove me wrong

jazar
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:04 PM
if she knuckles down a bit and does some really hard work, then she could get top 50. she won't get top 20 cos there are so many girls out there with more talent and desire than her

the cat
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:24 PM
If Ashley plays a full season she could earn a top 50 ranking. But she's had career interruptions with injuries and marriage and those interruptions stalled her progress and dulled her talent to a certain degree. I used to think Ashley had top 20 potential. But now I've lowered my expectations to a top 50 ranking. And if she becomes a top 50 player and stays there for a couple of years she will have a nice career and make some money.

Derek.
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I used to think top ten, but her game isn't built for that.

If she was to play her best tennis she could get into the top 20, but not much more than that.

She's fiesty and quick, but no real weapons.

Natash.
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I think she can become a top 20 player. Hopefully, she shows off more of her potential in 07. I really believe that with proper coaching and just more drive to win, she can do it.

This year wasn't a good year for her. As someone mentioned, she had a divorce.

Helen Lawson
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I'm no expert, but I saw her play Justine once. Actually, she was half-decent, I thought she'd be like all blonde hype and no shots, but her game was fairly decent, though I don't think Justine was pulling out all the stops, you know what I mean. The girl can hit accurately and is reasonably fast. Maybe 30, but not any higher.

Derek.
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:44 PM
This year wasn't a good year for her. As someone mentioned, she had a divorce.

The divorce was probably best for her tennis.

Hurley
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Basically useless defensive player who has already hit her potential and missed her chance at becoming highly-ranked during a thin couple of years. Whatever her career-high ranking is now will be her career-high ranking once she retires.

Cute, though.

LoveFifteen
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:50 PM
She's the white Peng Shuai.

tennisbuddy12
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Im probably known on the board for being the biggest Harkleroad fan and I think if she got everything into gear and fufilled her potential, she would be top 20. I see her breaking into the top 50 this year and maybe get to 39 (career high). The Hopman Cup is great for this board to see the raw talent that she has. Her emotions can let her down but she has an awsome backhand IMO.

Brooklyn90
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:05 PM
She's the white Peng Shuai.

:lol:

Derek.
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Im probably known on the board for being the biggest Harkleroad fan and I think if she got everything into gear and fufilled her potential, she would be top 20. I see her breaking into the top 50 this year and maybe get to 39 (career high). The Hopman Cup is great for this board to see the raw talent that she has. Her emotions can let her down but she has an awsome backhand IMO.

Her backhand is good, and it's probably her best shot, but I wouldn't say it's "awesome".

She's not going to hurt you that much with it.

Her game is more about defense, being steady, waiting for errors, etc.

~Eclipsed~
Dec 30th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I watched most of the match against Golovin this year in the US Open 1st round and when she stepped it up in the second set, she really started to dictate play. I know she's not that powerful, but she made some good judgement in that second set and blasted winners past Golovin when she had the chance.

The mental thing is definitely her biggest weakness though because when she led 5-2, i think she thought too much about the lead she had and played really horrible from that point on. Most of the points consisted of a point or two. It became ugly to watch.

For her i think if she got mentally stronger she would be in the top 50 at least. Her ground game is there for the most part. Granted like other people have mentioned that she doesn't have any real weapons.

Good luck Ashley!:bounce:

So Disrespectful
Dec 30th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Her backhand is good, and it's probably her best shot, but I wouldn't say it's "awesome".

She's not going to hurt you that much with it.

Her game is more about defense, being steady, waiting for errors, etc.

And that game can be very effective when used properly. Just look at what Hewitt achieved.

Dava
Dec 30th, 2006, 01:04 AM
When she first emerged she could have been a top 10 player, but the game of course since has taken off and left her behind. I saw her play Zvonereva in the first round of the US Open in 2003/04 and she really didnt alter her game plan of defensive play, or when on the offensive bashing it from side to side. Ive seen her play in some form every year at WImbledon since, and basically she is a very consistent player however lacks a true weapon. I can see her becoming a steady top 30 player.