PDA

View Full Version : Players who can speak multiple languages?

tennisrocks123
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Who can speak more than their native tongue?
Supposively Vaidisova is learning French along with her Czech and English. Henin-Hardenne knows English/French as does Pierce.

* At the French 2002, Venus and Serena attempted at French.;)

* In 2005/2006, Serena attempted Italian at a restaurant (Venus and Serena for Real) And Venus spoke some Italian after her match in Rome in '06.

goldenlox
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Golovin and Dementieva - fluent French, Russian and English
Sveta -fluent Russian and Spanish, decent English. Dinara also those 3.
Golovin is amazing. Very good speaker.

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Daniela Speaks: Slovak and Czech, German, English, and is learing Italian

Ben.
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:37 AM

she is an intelligent girl daniela is :yeah:

plus i think misa krajicek speaks english, dutch & probably czech (cause her parents were born in the czech republic).

Martian Stacey
Dec 29th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Martina Hingis speaks Czech, English, German, Swiss German and I think she knows a little bit of French

Oh and she also attempted to speak some Italian when she won in Rome :)

LudwigDvorak
Dec 29th, 2006, 02:22 AM
The sisters speak English, Spanish, French, Swahili I think?, and some last language, I forget what it is.

Hingiswinsthis
Dec 29th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Yes.....was Hingis speaking French at that tearful RG Final '99 trophy ceremony?

DutchieGirl
Dec 29th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Krajicek: Dutch, Czech, English, Spanish... is also learning German now. :eek:

DutchieGirl
Dec 29th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Martina Hingis speaks Czech, English, German, Swiss German and I think she knows a little bit of French

Oh and she also attempted to speak some Italian when she won in Rome :)

:lol: German and Swiss-German... pfft not That much difference there. :p In that case, all Flemish-Belgian and Dutch players can speak Flemish and Dutch! :p

selesfan1
Dec 29th, 2006, 02:53 AM
The Williams sisters DO NOT speak French,despite what they may say. However, According to many reports Serena speaks nearly perfect Japanese.

Hingis' French is not as good as it could be but decent.

Seles speaks English,Hungarian,and Serbo-Croatian.

rockstar
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:04 AM
:lol: German and Swiss-German... pfft not That much difference there. :p In that case, all Flemish-Belgian and Dutch players can speak Flemish and Dutch! :p

:lol: so true.

trying to give martina a boost eh? ;)

DutchieGirl
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:09 AM
:lol: so true.

trying to give martina a boost eh? ;)

something like that I guess. ;)

gocanadago
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:29 AM
From what I read of an article of last year (http://www.rds.ca/omniumaustralie/chroniques/171515.html) Aleksandra Wozniak speaks French, English, Polish, Spanish, Slovak a little bit of Russian and last year she was learning Dutch ;)

selyoink
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Most of the European players can probably speak multiple languages since they almost all speak English.

hablo
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:38 AM
From what I read of an article of last year (http://www.rds.ca/omniumaustralie/chroniques/171515.html) Aleksandra Wozniak speaks French, English, Polish, Spanish, Slovak a little bit of Russian and last year she was learning Dutch ;)

I think she's learning German, not Dutch :p
Wow, that's alot of languages, good for her! :worship:
Wozniak se débrouillerait bien sur le circuit professionnel puisqu'elle parle français, anglais, polonais, espagnol, slovaque et un peu de russe en plus d'apprendre l'allemand.

antonella
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:41 AM
yeah.. but can any of them speak Old Church Slavonic??

yukon145
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:43 AM
wozniacki speaks danish, english, and polish.

Ben.
Dec 29th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Krajicek: Dutch, Czech, English, Spanish... is also learning German now. :eek:

cool :)

Derek.
Dec 29th, 2006, 06:00 AM

Daniela. :worship:

I think Nicole speaks German too. :scratch:

isabellea
Dec 29th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Clijsters speak flemish english and french

lilimi
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:29 AM
it is said that jankovic speaks french.i'd like to hear her.
serena's french is not bad, she can be understood very well. lena d french is great!

TheItalianStyle
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Venus speaks a very good Italian, she did all the interviews last year here in Rome speaking in italian, and it was very fluent (She had an Italian boyfriend, so)...even if she was transforming some words in an American Italian...

Serena as someone said spoke a little Italian during the reality here in Rome in the restaurant, but I don't think she ever studied it...

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I've heard Serena's japanese, it's really good. Her French and Italian....:unsure::hug:

Highlandman
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Emmanuelle Gagliardi speaks some languages, or?:confused: :p I heard she speaks English,German,French,Italian and another one...

From ATP I would know Gilles Muller, who speaks German,English,French,Luxembourgois (I hope I spell it right:p ) and Spanish I think:angel:

rrfnpump
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Daniela. :worship:

I think Nicole speaks German too. :scratch:

she does. :)

-Makiri-
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Flavia Pennetta speaks italian, english and spanish

Tenis Srbija
Dec 29th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Jelena Janković speaks english and french... Both excelent :hatoff:

Jogi
Dec 29th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Nicole speaks also German ;)

oh lol, sb mentioned before ...

martina :worship:

The Dawntreader
Dec 29th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Dementieva speaks brilliant french and her english is so good nowadays:)

Aryman3
Dec 29th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Marta Domachowska speaks English, Russian and a little spanish not counting her native Polish

goldenlox
Dec 29th, 2006, 10:48 AM
There's a difference between knowing a few words and being fluent.
Golovin speaks 3 languages great.

Neptune
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:44 AM
The williams sisters don't speak french.;) The last time I heard the sisters,they said "Merci la public":lol: But that's already good from her.

I will love to hear Jelena speak in French.Nicole too.

I'm always grateful of people talking several languages.That's very impressive.:angel:

Beny
Dec 29th, 2006, 12:37 PM

99% of Slovaks speak Czech. It`s not:eek:

Once,in some research,the Slovaks were honoured as the best at foreign languages...but it was because Slovaks considered Czech language as a foreign.:lol: The truth is that we aren`t very good at foreign languages...we don`t have good language teachers and almost no lecturers(English native speakers).
But Daniela speaks foreign languages vey well, anyway. Her English and German are very fluent. ..and is learning Italian.

But Czech is no foreign language for Slovaks :)

Mina Vagante
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:35 PM
lol im a player who can speak multiple languages

Martian Jeza
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Clijsters speak flemish english and french

Never heard Kim speaking french ! She understands it without a doubt but speaking ? No.

s_j
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Sharapova can speak giggly English, Russian with an American accent and she can pronounce the word 'gracias' (gra-THEE-as) to perfection.

But I love her. :lol:

goldenlox
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I predict Golovin will be a big time commentator after her career on court.
She's that good.

timafi
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Amelie speaks french english and german

Wojtek
Dec 29th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Peschke: Czech, Slovak, Polish, German and English

Fired
Dec 29th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Olga Poutchkova: Russian, English and Spanish

SilK
Dec 29th, 2006, 06:49 PM
lol im a player who can speak multiple languages

yeaps. so am I!

DutchieGirl
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Once,in some research,the Slovaks were honoured as the best at foreign languages...but it was because Slovaks considered Czech language as a foreign.:lol: The truth is that we aren`t very good at foreign languages...we don`t have good language teachers and almost no lecturers(English native speakers).
But Daniela speaks foreign languages vey well, anyway. Her English and German are very fluent. ..and is learning Italian.

Hmm so then Czech's can also speak Slovak? :p

santhuruu
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:40 PM
The sisters speak English, Spanish, French, Swahili I think?, and some last language, I forget what it is.

I know that Venus also speaks a little bit Polish, in Warsaw this year for example she tried to read out a book that was written in Polish, and Venus can also speak I also think Serena can, speak German.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:43 PM
:lol: I'm a player who can speak multiple languages
;) me 2 :wavey: 4

hablo
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Never heard Kim speaking french ! She understands it without a doubt but speaking ? No.

I have heard Kim speak french on RDS (tv chanel in Canada, well mostly québec) because the québéckers commentators made her speak french (same with Dementieva) :lol:
She's not bad at all ;)

Geertvg
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I heard BOTH Ivanovic and Jankovic know Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian, Montenegrin AND English. And they understand Macedonian too!! ;)

Hagar
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:11 PM

Then you probably did not hear Kim's speech as a runner up at Roland Garros 2001. That was pretty good French from a 18 year old who had spent more time on tennis courts than in school. It was very endearing, very sweet.

DutchieGirl
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I heard BOTH Ivanovic and Jankovic know Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian, Montenegrin AND English. And they understand Macedonian too!! ;)

:spit: :lol:

lynch79
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Venus spoke Italian in Rome this year, and she's very good. Her accent is so cute.
Martina spoke Italian in Rome 1998, this year she didn't, but she understood the interviewer when talking to her in Italian. :hearts:
I'm so glad Daniela is learning Italian too.

Ah, and Flavia Pennetta NOW speaks Italian with a Spanish accent.:tape: :lol:

vogus
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:13 AM
it is pointless to name English since every WTA player speaks it at some level.

The thread title should be, "which player speaks a language other than her native language and/or English?"

Williams sisters DO NOT speak any foreign languages other than Venus having some very basic proficiency in Italian. Knowing 5 words does not = speaking a language.

Golovin is very impressive because she speaks 3 very different languages with native-like fluency. She could be a spy because she could easily pass for being French, American OR Russian. However, you can't really call her a linguist because she didn't have to learn those langauges, she grew up speaking them. Dementieva had to learn her French, and she speaks it very well and with a nice accent.

LUIS9
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:38 AM
it is pointless to name English since every WTA player speaks it at some level.

The thread title should be, "which player speaks a language other than her native language and/or English?"

Williams sisters DO NOT speak any foreign languages other than Venus having some very basic proficiency in Italian. Knowing 5 words does not = speaking a language.

Golovin is very impressive because she speaks 3 very different languages with native-like fluency. She could be a spy because she could easily pass for being French, American OR Russian. However, you can't really call her a linguist because she didn't have to learn those langauges, she grew up speaking them. Dementieva had to learn her French, and she speaks it very well and with a nice accent.

hahaha hahaha :lol: :lol: :haha: I'l keep this in mind, otherwise I like to pretend I can speak multiple languages. I know like 10 words in like 12 different languages. :o

I know the Williams sisters to my knowledge don't speak any foreign language, certainly not fluently that is. Venus has a good level of proficiency in Italian, Serena I've heard incorporate a few french words and expressions into her vocabulaire. Federer too is said to speak Italian, I highly doubt it, I am sure that like Kim understands french and by cultural immersion has acquired some basic Italian language since its one of the 4 official languages of Switzerland. He too is said to speak Swedish, while he probably picked up quite of few words from his former coach Lundgren, he does not speak either of these languages.

Now his french is exceptional, yeah, yeah he may have the heavy swiss accent but so what his french is very understandable.

By the way Dementieva speaking french is very sweet and endearing, how long did she take french for in school? She must have taken it for more than 4 yrs in high school because it is very good.

El Anaoyui was like the linguist of the tennis world, doesn't he speak like 6 distinct languages all fluently? I also recall the Vicario spoke German I never heard her speak in German nonetheless, I suppose German is quite a popular language to learn if you grow up in Europe.

The Kaz
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:41 AM

:lol: anyone born in the balkan knows all these languages (except english ;)) i should know im half croatian and all my family understands these languages incl italian. So its not that amazing ;)

LUIS9
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:45 AM
:lol: anyone born in the balkan knows all these languages (except english ;)) i should know im half croatian and all my family understands these languages incl italian. So its not that amazing ;)

It still requires of some skill, trust me some folks spend their academic lives having to take many different languages as a requirement for graduation and they don't make an effort to actually take and retain some of that knowledge outside the classroom. Then again we all don't love learning languages however, I don't get it how can one learn about a culture if we don't learn about it's language which is the fundamentel vehicle of expression and communication.

rocksania
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:55 AM
SANIA MIRZA she speaks fluent english,hindi,urdu,tamil, telegu,kannada...thats tooo much isn"t
she is learning few more i think...

DutchieGirl
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:55 AM
It still requires of some skill, trust me some folks spend their academic lives having to take many different languages as a requirement for graduation and they don't make an effort to actually take and retain some of that knowledge outside the classroom. Then again we all don't love learning languages however, I don't get it how can one learn about a culture if we don't learn about it's language which is the fundamentel vehicle of expression and communication.

Yes, but when the languages are all very similar, it's not that hard. It's like Felmish and Dutch, or Slovakian and Czech...I mean they are very similar. In that case, I can say that Krajicek can also speak Flemish and Slovakian because she can speak Dutch and Czech...plus Polish is a bit similar to Czech too - the polish people on here can understand me when I post my very limited Czech phrases. :p So while it might require *some* skill to know all those languages, it's different knowing very similar languages than it is totally different ones.

For example, being able to speak Serbian, Croatian, etc from that area is different from being able to speak say German, French and Czech.

vogus
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:56 AM
El Anaoyui was like the linguist of the tennis world, doesn't he speak like 6 distinct languages all fluently? I also recall the Vicario spoke German I never heard her speak in German nonetheless, I suppose German is quite a popular language to learn if you grow up in Europe.

i think Vicario speaking German was a myth, i'm sure she knew a bit from playing there every year but i never heard her speaking fluently.

El Aynaoui is a bit overrated since he started with two native languages - Arabic and French - and Spanish and Italian are the same family as French. And his English is really not that good from what i've heard him speak, it's below average for European players.

Federer's French is excellent, he trained in the French part of Switzerland as a junior. His English is also one of the best of any non-native speaking player.

vogus
Dec 30th, 2006, 04:16 AM
i once met a girl who was half-Egyptian and half-Greek, and went to university in Moscow - she spoke Arabic, Greek, Russian, French, and of course English, all with fluency, and about 10-12 other languages with proficiency. That's off topic but anyway i was impressed by that.

LUIS9
Dec 30th, 2006, 04:24 AM
i think Vicario speaking German was a myth, i'm sure she knew a bit from playing there every year but i never heard her speaking fluently.

El Aynaoui is a bit overrated since he started with two native languages - Arabic and French - and Spanish and Italian are the same family as French. And his English is really not that good from what i've heard him speak, it's below average for European players.

Federer's French is excellent, he trained in the French part of Switzerland as a junior. His English is also one of the best of any non-native speaking player.

That's what I thought, I really never heard Arantxa speaking German at all. Yes I totally understand why speaking the varied Balkan languages not difficult, it's like saying I can speak venezuelan spanish, colombian spanish, and Dominican spanish is a tough task. Nevertheless, getting the accents right is a little trickier than you might think hehe.

You are totally right, learning languages from the same family is a lot more easy than learning very distinct languages, like Chinese and German per se. Learning French and Italian came very natural to me as I am a native spanish speaker, the same applied to Portuguese. However, their grammars while similar in concept are so different. accent agu and el acento agudo couldn't be any more distinct; and le subjonctif is twelve times more complicated than my beloved subjuntivo. lol

By the way Federer's english is very good, naturally his mother being south african became a great influence. One can tell, his english has very much that southafrican accent influence to it, it is very pleasing, accents in general give that special je ne sais quoi to every particular language, it's what makes them unique.

BARBIE
Dec 30th, 2006, 04:55 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Martian Jeza
Dec 30th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I have heard Kim speak french on RDS (tv chanel in Canada, well mostly québec) because the québéckers commentators made her speak french (same with Dementieva) :lol:
She's not bad at all ;)

You don't need to mention RDS as a Canadian TV channel, I already know that : I've been to Canada in 1999 ;) It's weird always she get interviewed here in Belgium by French speaking journalists, she always speak Dutch. :shrug:

Hagar
Dec 30th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Yes, but when the languages are all very similar, it's not that hard. It's like Felmish and Dutch, or Slovakian and Czech...

You are making a big mistake here. Flemish and Dutch are not 2 different languages! The language is Dutch. Flemish is the version of Dutch which is spoken in Flanders but it is not a language in its own right. It's like the difference between American English and British English. The language is English.

LLAGOS-VIVES_FAN
Dec 30th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Nuria Llagostera speaks Spanish, Catalán, English and Italian

Beny
Dec 30th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Hmm so then Czech's can also speak Slovak? :p

No...much less than Slovaks speak Czech. It`s a long story.I don`t feel like writing the reasons why...... Czech are a bit in front.

janksta
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Voici elena parlant francais.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E46Ua66U0FI

DutchieGirl
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:43 PM
You are making a big mistake here. Flemish and Dutch are not 2 different languages! The language is Dutch. Flemish is the version of Dutch which is spoken in Flanders but it is not a language in its own right. It's like the difference between American English and British English. The language is English.

Which was pretty much the point I was making - they are VERY similar). ;)

vswfan
Dec 30th, 2006, 06:49 PM
The Williams sisters DO NOT speak French,despite what they may say. However, According to many reports Serena speaks nearly perfect Japanese.

Hingis' French is not as good as it could be but decent.

Seles speaks English,Hungarian,and Serbo-Croatian.

Venus said that she loves Roland Garros most in 4 GSs because she can speak French. and in their book "Serving From the Hip" Venus said both of them had learned French.

and its hard to say a player can speak multiple languages. they usually speak english (or spainish on ATP Tour). sometimes they speak only few words or a sentence just want to make the crowd happy. many players speak few word in Chinese in China Open, but none of them really know Chinese.

Freakan
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:17 AM
Mamic: Croatian, English and some German, Spanish and Italian

Highlandman
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:21 AM
Edina Gallovits speaks Romanian, Hungarian, German and English - also a bit French I think....

Geertvg
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:31 AM

That was her point. Just like Serbian-Croatian-... is basically 1 language... We even call the language Serbo-Croatian (sorry Bosnian and Montenegrin!!) :)

ASP0315
Dec 31st, 2006, 09:58 PM
SANIA MIRZA she speaks fluent english,hindi,urdu,tamil, telegu,kannada...thats tooo much isn"t
she is learning few more i think...

:eek: :eek:
Are u kidding me?? I know she speaks hindi urdu and Telugu since she is from hyderabad. But i don't think she speaks Kannada and Tamil. Where did you hear that?

wally1
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:05 PM
i think Vicario speaking German was a myth, i'm sure she knew a bit from playing there every year but i never heard her speaking fluently.In the days when you could get German stations on Sky tv in the UK, I heard Vicario being interviewed after a match in Germany, in German. She definitely seemed fluent to me.

auntie janie
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:24 PM
Voici elena parlant francais.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E46Ua66U0FI

Thanks for that link! I've always wanted to hear Elena speaking French. :D

janksta
Jan 1st, 2007, 01:18 AM
Thanks for that link! I've always wanted to hear Elena speaking French. :D

qu'est que elena a dit dans 1:42 pendant la video ("...demi-final quand el "shlem"??) je ne lui ai compris pas (ou je lui n'ai pas compris??) desole pour la grammaire...

peut quelq'un m'aider?

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 1st, 2007, 01:24 AM
I've heard Serena's japanese, it's really good. Her French and Italian....:unsure::hug:

yet she rarely plays the pan pacific

I'm Fly
Jan 1st, 2007, 01:30 AM
I speak العربية, français, english, and italiano fluently, so I assume most of the players from this region and around can do the same.

DutchieGirl
Jan 1st, 2007, 03:20 AM
That was her point. Just like Serbian-Croatian-... is basically 1 language... We even call the language Serbo-Croatian (sorry Bosnian and Montenegrin!!) :)

:yeah: Glad someone understood that. ;)

tennisrocks123
Jan 1st, 2007, 05:32 AM
J'adore quand Elena parle français. C'est formidable.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jan 1st, 2007, 05:42 AM
Lena speaking french :hearts:

Pinky
Jan 1st, 2007, 05:39 PM

This is not true since 99.9% of germans won't understand swiss-german but it is halfway true since 99.99% of swiss-german people will understand german ;)

DutchieGirl
Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:29 AM
This is not true since 99.9% of germans won't understand swiss-german but it is halfway true since 99.99% of swiss-german people will understand german ;)

Yep, I understand that. ;)

Brett.
Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:35 AM
Sophie can speaks Russian, German, English, Spanish, Portugese, Chinese, Japanese, French and Flemish! ;) She told me

Ben.
Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:37 AM
Sophie can speaks Russian, German, English, Spanish, Portugese, Chinese, Japanese, French and Flemish! ;) She told me

wow :eek: really. can she speak all of them fluently & consistently ;)

Brett.
Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:45 AM
wow :eek: really. can she speak all of them fluently & consistently ;)

All of them fluently! :D

Polikarpov
Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:45 AM

What's your official language then when the country was still Czechoslovakia?