PDA

View Full Version : Most memorable First-Rounds @the Australian Open.

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:00 AM
The other Australian Open thread inspired the idea for this thread. Everyone list their most memorable first rounds at the Australian Open, include both good and bad ones. If you can, find an old story that came out at the time of the match and include it in your post. It'll help make your post, as well as this thread, more interesting.

up!
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I have two obvious matches in head:

- 2003 Serena def Emilie Loit 3/6 7/6 7/5
- 2003 Marlene Waingartner def Jennifer Capriati 2/6 7/6 6/4
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38687000/jpg/_38687087_weingartner_300afp.jpg
http://*********************/news/_photos/2003/01/13-inside-capriati.jpg

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:10 AM
5. Elena Dementieva losing in the first round of the Australian for the third time in the last four years is a bad, but, memorable first round.

4. Hingis defeating Zvonereva so convincingly (6-1,6-2) in her first match back on tour after 3 years off.

3. Venus losing in the first round to some player I had never heard of, Bulgarian Tszvetana Pironkova 2-6, 6-0, 9-7. I know her now.

2. JCap losing in the first round after winning the previous year was the talk of its day, what a shock!! 6-2,6-7(6) 4-6

1. Serena saving match points against Emilie Loit, the same year she went on to win it. Thought it would be cute to include a story that came out during that time:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/australian_open/2003/2655943.stm

"A lady never wants to lose a diamond," said Serena Williams, explaining that the jewels on her dress were rhinestones and not the real thing. Or a tennis match, she could have added.

The truth yesterday was that the world No1, and current holder of the French, Wimbledon and US Open titles, came awfully close to a shock defeat against France's Emilie Loit in the first round here, becoming so rattled that her own epithet of "lady" hardly applied.

Williams, often looking sluggish and ill at ease, finally went through 3-6, 7-6, 7-5 but was given a warning in the second set for a verbal obscenity, and her mouthed choice of words when Loit saved a second match point in the third owed more to the factory floor than polite society.

When challenged about this later, and asked whether the warning had been a reflection of her frustration, she replied: "I don't remember that."

Williams approached this first-round match as if her mere presence would be enough for victory. Neither Serena nor Venus has ever prepared for the Australian Open with any true diligence, and consequently neither has ever reached the final.

This year may be different, given their total domination of the past three slams, but Belgium's Kim Clijsters, the No4 seed, who won her opening match against the American Samantha Reeves 6-2, 6-1 and who appears super-fit, will surely have taken great heart from Serena's stuttering start.

A genuinely competitive women's match in the first round of a slam is a great rarity so those in the Rod Laver Arena, some of whom had witnessed Jennifer Capriati's defeat the previous evening, had good cause to feel fortunate. The suspicion of another upset came in the match's second game when Williams began to flex her left knee. Thereafter she was quickly 5-2 down, with the trainer called at 2-1 and two pills swallowed.

She explained later: "It was just an anti-inflammatory. I was having a little knee problem and usually the pills make me feel a little better. They settle in after about 20 or 30 minutes." By then, though, she was a set down, Loit having played some wonderfully fluent tennis, including any number of thrilling forehands.

Signs of a recovery came at the start of the second when Williams broke Loit's serve to love, but the light-framed 23-year-old left-hander, ranked No56 and without a singles title to her name, was far from overawed and eventually forced a tie-break, which was dominated by the American.

Yet far from this signalling the beginning of the end, Loit continued to trouble Williams, breaking her service for a 3-2 lead. She then had a point for a 4-2 advantage in the final set but for once her forehand failed her and Williams levelled. Loit saved two match points on her serve at 5-4, one with a drive volley and the other with a delicious drop shot, but by then she was visibly flagging.

"I never thought I was going to lose but I did think, gosh, this is bad. I didn't play anywhere near my ability," said Williams. That much was true but it was a marvellous display by Loit, who received her due recognition from the crowd.

EDIT- I edited this story after reading it (didn't add, just cut out some parts). The writers negative slant taints the article in my eyes. Stupid me, I posted before reading the story, then went to read it and didn't like it, so...

Josh.
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
5. Elena Dementieva losing in the first round of the Australian for the third time in the last four years is a bad, but, memorable first round.

4. Hingis defeating Zvonereva so convincingly (6-1,6-2) in her first match back on tour after 3 years off.

3. Venus losing in the first round to some player I had never heard of, Bulgarian Tszvetana Pironkova 2-6, 6-0, 9-7. I know her now.

2. JCap losing in the first round after winning the previous year was the talk of its day, what a shock!! 6-2,6-7(6) 4-6

1. Serena saving match points against Emilie Loit, the same year she went on to win it. Thought it would be cute to include a story that came out during that time:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/australian_open/2003/2655943.stm

"A lady never wants to lose a diamond," said Serena Williams, explaining that the jewels on her dress were rhinestones and not the real thing. Or a tennis match, she could have added.

The truth yesterday was that the world No1, and current holder of the French, Wimbledon and US Open titles, came awfully close to a shock defeat against France's Emilie Loit in the first round here, becoming so rattled that her own epithet of "lady" hardly applied.

Williams, often looking sluggish and ill at ease, finally went through 3-6, 7-6, 7-5 but was given a warning in the second set for a verbal obscenity, and her mouthed choice of words when Loit saved a second match point in the third owed more to the factory floor than polite society.

When challenged about this later, and asked whether the warning had been a reflection of her frustration, she replied: "I don't remember that."

Both she and her sister Venus have remarkably selective memories when any whiff of controversy sullies the air. Although she was at pains to point out how poorly she had played, the younger of the Williams sisters was not prepared to admit how well her opponent had performed. Perhaps this attitude goes back to the early part of the sisters' careers, when several French players were less than complimentary about the two Americans' insular attitude in the locker room.

Williams approached this first-round match as if her mere presence would be enough for victory. Neither Serena nor Venus has ever prepared for the Australian Open with any true diligence, and consequently neither has ever reached the final.

This year may be different, given their total domination of the past three slams, but Belgium's Kim Clijsters, the No4 seed, who won her opening match against the American Samantha Reeves 6-2, 6-1 and who appears super-fit, will surely have taken great heart from Serena's stuttering start.

A genuinely competitive women's match in the first round of a slam is a great rarity so those in the Rod Laver Arena, some of whom had witnessed Jennifer Capriati's defeat the previous evening, had good cause to feel fortunate. The suspicion of another upset came in the match's second game when Williams began to flex her left knee. Thereafter she was quickly 5-2 down, with the trainer called at 2-1 and two pills swallowed.

She explained later: "It was just an anti-inflammatory. I was having a little knee problem and usually the pills make me feel a little better. They settle in after about 20 or 30 minutes." By then, though, she was a set down, Loit having played some wonderfully fluent tennis, including any number of thrilling forehands.

Signs of a recovery came at the start of the second when Williams broke Loit's serve to love, but the light-framed 23-year-old left-hander, ranked No56 and without a singles title to her name, was far from overawed and eventually forced a tie-break, which was dominated by the American.

Yet far from this signalling the beginning of the end, Loit continued to trouble Williams, breaking her service for a 3-2 lead. She then had a point for a 4-2 advantage in the final set but for once her forehand failed her and Williams levelled. Loit saved two match points on her serve at 5-4, one with a drive volley and the other with a delicious drop shot, but by then she was visibly flagging.

"I never thought I was going to lose but I did think, gosh, this is bad. I didn't play anywhere near my ability," said Williams. That much was true but it was a marvellous display by Loit, who received her due recognition from the crowd. A pity, then, that the world No1 was a good deal less respectful.

wasnt hingis 1st match back :lol:

hdfb
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Definitely Loit vs Serena. Wasn't Serena warned/fined for using foul language during the match? :lol:

Pironkova vs Venus as well. That was the same day Dokic lost after having a match point and I was sooooooooooooooooooo SHITTED that I just had to leave, and I missed the end of the Venus match.

So Dokic vs Razzano for me is one I will always remember for obvious reasons. :sad:

To be honest I totally forgot JCap lost her first round after winning it the year before..... and to think I was pining over how close Hingis was to getting a grand slam for two years straight... :o

louisa2k2
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Hingis v Zvonereva - no one was expecting the score line, i loved hearing the shock in the commentators voice, one of them hadnt even thought she was going to win :). Even i was shocked at how well she played.

Mina Vagante
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:54 AM
did liot have match points? i though she came within two points of winning not actually having match points :confused:

selestribe
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:46 AM
did liot have match points? i though she came within two points of winning not actually having match points :confused:

You're right, Loit was 2 points of winning, but never got a match point.

Dementieva trashed by Jankovic in 2004 was a big shock. I always thought Rebound Ace could be a great surface for Lena's game, but the girl needs a lot of matches to find her timing and often lost early in Melbourne ... but in 2004, Jelena was ranked 79 and lena seeded 7 ... yes last year loss to Julia Schruff (#80) was bad too ...:sad:

up!
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:14 AM
1999 Mauresmo vs Morariu

SilK
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:28 AM
2000... Kournikova def. Wartusch 6-0 6-0 :drool:

Mattographer
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Serena Williams def. Amanda Grahame 6-4 4-6 6-4! :eek:

I jumped many times and yelled at Amanda to win this damn match! :haha:

The Dawntreader
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Venus losing to pironkova:( :( :fiery: :lol:

I've got over it since :haha:

Davenport vs Dokic was pretty memorable in 01, as dokic didnbt play there for another 5 years:lol:

Mattographer
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Venus losing to pironkova:( :( :fiery: :lol:

I've got over it since :haha:

Davenport vs Dokic was pretty memorable in 01, as dokic didnbt play there for another 5 years:lol:
Oh yeah, I forget about the Dokic v Davenport match ;)

mashamaniac
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:26 PM
masha vs sandra klossel was a special for me picking up from 2006,
that loit vs serena also was definitely a great one to see in general!

The Dawntreader
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Venus vs Kuznetsova in 2003. Kuzy led 3-0 in the first with points for 4-0:eek:

Venus got it back though- 6-4 6-2:D

New_balls_please
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:40 PM
2000:

Dominique Monami (Bel) def. Kim Clijsters 3-6 6-1 6-1 (Kim won the title of Louxembourg a few months ago)

Serena Williams (Usa) def. A. Grahame 6-4 4-6 6-4 Omg, what a match :eek:

2001:

Venus Williams (Usa) def. Maria José Martínez (Esp) in 3 sets. I remember the Venus dress in that match :lol: I could see her nipples :lol: :p

mashamaniac
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:40 PM
And Of Course Venus Vs Pironkova,lenad Vs Julia Schruff Were Shocking But Interesting Matches!;)

New_balls_please
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:52 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2001_australian_open/10.jpg

Venus Williams bt. Maria José Martínez 6-3 2-6 6-0

What a second set. :eek: :yeah:

Venus lost the set because her bosoms were overflowing her garment :lol:

disco_rage
Dec 28th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I'll always remember Jenny Capriati vs Henrieta Nagyova in 2001

Jen won 46 62 75 and of course went on to win her first Grand Slam title.. I was so glad she got through the 1st round! little did i know what would happen just a week or so later!

disco_rage
Dec 28th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Also i remember Ansley Cargill defeating Anabel Medina Garrigues 61 62 in 2003.

To date Ansley's only Grand Slam main draw match win!

Just Do It
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:30 PM
So Dokic vs Razzano for me is one I will always remember for obvious reasons.

4sure !

Also Jankovic def. Dementieva and Davenport def. Dokic !

Havok
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Davenport def Dokic 01, Razzano def. Dokic 06, Weingartner def Capriati 03, S. Williams def. Loit 03, Pironkova def. V. Williams 06, Hingis def. Zvonareva 06

KoOlMaNsEaN
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:34 PM
ditto naldo

Tenis Srbija
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Jelena Janković - Elena Dementieva 6-4 6-1 :worship: :worship:

Dexter
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:57 PM
For me it's Cweti upsetting Venus! :D

up!
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:14 AM
2000:

Dominique Monami (Bel) def. Kim Clijsters 3-6 6-1 6-1 (Kim won the title of Louxembourg a few months ago)

Yep and Kim had just won the title of Hobart the week before.

matthias
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM
- 2003 Marlene Waingartner def Jennifer Capriati 2/6 7/6 6/4

this was so unreal