PDA

View Full Version : Gb Girls

WIMBY
Dec 28th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Good luck in qualifying to

Anne, Melanie and Katie :) :) :)

martin white
Dec 29th, 2006, 02:43 PM
good luck gals! pity elena not over injuries yet:( in 05 she qualified for the md and made the 3rdrd!ill be at qualies and sure to cheer anne and co on!:)

jazar
Dec 31st, 2006, 04:53 PM
its not looking great for anne after losing to someone ranked so far below in the auckland qualies. i would say katie o'brien has the best chance as she put in the best performance and only just lsot to mathilde johansson, the number 8 seed in her qualies match

Europe rocks
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:08 PM
Anne and Mel, please improve for here :o Katie, keep up the hard work and you should win a round or two, providing you don't choke like you did against Garbin at Wimbledon and Weinhold or whoever she was at the US Open qualifiers. Match point at 7-5 5-2, lost 5-7 7-5 6-3 :sad:

WIMBY
Jan 10th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Good luck :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Inspiration
Jan 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM
GL Anne :)

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 10th, 2007, 10:49 AM
annes draws aint great-she can win her 1st match but bondarenko in the 2nd round sucks :sad:

WIMBY
Jan 10th, 2007, 10:58 AM
good luck gals! pity elena not over injuries yet:( in 05 she qualified for the md and made the 3rdrd!ill be at qualies and sure to cheer anne and co on!:)

Lucky you being there, will you post pics please :)

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 10th, 2007, 11:02 AM
tough draws for all the girls :sad:

Monica_Rules
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Good luck to all the girls there really gonna need it.

MLF
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:37 PM
The British and Irish contingent all good pretty sticky 1st round matches :

Keothavong v Namigata
South v Bacszinsky
O'Brien v Chen
Liggan v Skavronskaia

Good luck to them all but I think they've all got their hands full in the 1st round.

Europe rocks
Jan 10th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Anne should have a chance against Namigata, but she hasn't been i the best form lately. Mel will have to play how she did at Wimbledon to have a chance against Timea, not too sure about Chen as there are so many with similar surnames :tape: But Katie does have a chance. Good luck to Kelly as well against Lioudmila :)

Escape
Jan 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Good luck to all the girls

Europe rocks
Jan 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
First qualifying round results
A.Keothavong (GBR) bt J.Namigata (JPN) 64 64 :) Good win Anne
K.O'Brien (GBR) bt YJ.Chen (CHN) 36 62 87rtd :yeah: A win is a win Katie :p
(10) T.Bacsinszky (SUI) bt M.South (GBR) 63 76(4) :sad: Hard luck Mel
L.Skavronskaia (RUS) bt K.Liggan (IRL) 64 63 :hug:

Anne now plays Alize Cornet who beat top seed Bondarenko 64 16 64 :eek: Katie has Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova next :o

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 11th, 2007, 11:43 AM
well done Anne and Katie :worship:

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
British quartet through in Melbourne

British players produced their best Australian Open qualifying performance in years as four players overcame the initial first round obstacle.

Anne Keothavong, Katie O’Brien, Alan Mackin and Jonny Marray were all successful in the opening stage of their bids to make main draw debuts in a Grand Slam tournament other than Wimbledon.

Mackin’s arduous close season training regime in Florida, under the tutelage of renowned fitness trainer Pat Etcheberry, paid dividends as he overcome the guile of seasoned Italian Davide Sanguinetti 6-3, 6-3.

The LTA agreed to fund Mackin’s use of Saddlebrook, Florida as a training base with coach Mike Raphael and the pair put in seven-hour working days throughout December, using the expertise of Etcheberry who has established his reputation as a strength and conditioning guru with world class performers in tennis and golf such as Pete Sampras, Jim Courier, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Ernie Els and Nick Faldo.

Sanguinetti, currently ranked 101st in the world and aged 34, was attempting to figure in the Australian Open main draw for the tenth year in succession but soon found himself in trouble against a clearly motivated Scotsman. And things only got progressively worse for the player who reached Wimbledon’s quarter-finals almost a decade ago.

“I felt so much fitter and stronger out there after all the work I put in during the off-season and that counted for a lot,” said 270th ranked Mackin who next faces Alex Bogomolov Jr of the United States.

“I figured out where to put the ball to his forehand and that worked a lot and it is one of my most pleasing wins. Hopefully this is the start of a very good year for me.”

Keothavong’s 6-4, 6-4 victory served as a timely boost to the 23 year-old’s confidence after disappointing weeks in Hobart and Auckland. She began 2007 in good spirits after winning the $25,000 Challenger tournament at Prerov in the Czech Republic but has opted to travel solo for the time being after an amicable split from coach Colin Beecher.

In common with most players, she found the gusty conditions difficult to master but her Japanese opponent, at 164th in the world ranked 21 places lower on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour computer, was even worse affected by the wind. A succession of double faults at the crucial stage of the second set served to unhinge Namigata and Keothavong was more than happy to capitalise.

Next she meets the 16-year-old French girl Alize Cornet and expects a far tougher encounter. “She is very young but very talented,” said the British No.1.

Cornet may only be ranked 195th in the world but she is on the way up and proof came in the way she beat Kateryna Bondarenko who was the top seed in the qualifying rounds.

“I have never played Cornet before but from what I have seen and learned from others, she is very solid from the baseline and uses her skills well,” Keothavong added.

“It’s probably fair to say that I arrived down here slightly under-prepared and that accounted for my disappointments in the first two tournaments of the year. Things are coming together a little bit now which is good considering I am without a coach at the moment but this next match is going to be tough.”

O’Brien can thank her superior fitness after registering a first ever Grand Slam qualifying win. Both she and 192nd ranked Yanchong Chen had braved match points and the match seemed to be extending into marathon territory when the Chinese girl collapsed on court with severe cramp.

The trainer was called but Chen failed to respond and had no option but to hand a 3-6, 6-2, 8-7 retired victory to O’Brien who now meets the Russian 15-year-old Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova who impressively eliminated the far higher-ranked Georgian Margalita Chakhnashvali.

Marray was forced to wait late in the evening before taking the court against Brazil’s Andre Ghem who at 190 in the world was placed 65 places higher on the ATP world rankings. But the right hander from Liverpool wasted no time in attacking his opponent with some aggressive serve and volley play and was rewarded with an impressive 6-3, 7-6 win.

Experience was the major factor as Switzerland’s 31-year-old George Bastl, the man who will go down in tennis folklore as the player that ended Pete Sampras’ Wimbledon career, outplayed Alex Bogdanovic 6-3, 6-4 and the same could most certainly be said for Jamie Baker’s 6-2, 6-4 loss to South Africa’s Wesley Moodie who reached the third round proper of last autumn’s US Open. In the women’s event 124th ranked Timea Baczinszky of Switzerland was too adept for Mel South, winning 6-3, 7-6.

But Richard Bloomfield can claim he was distinctly unfortunate in his 6-3, 5-7, 8-6 exit against Australia’s 897th ranked Matthew Ebden. Both men wrongly believed the match would be decided by a tie-break but Bloomfield paid the price for his mistake.

The Norfolk man served at 6-all but failed to hear the umpire’s call of 0-15. He then allowed Ebden to serve the next point which also went to the Australian and by the time both men realised their error the score had been called at 0-30.

By the rules of the game the score must stand, as Bloomfield found out to his cost when the supervisor was called to the court. When play resumed his Australian opponent made the most of his surprise lead on Bloomfield’s serve and quickly wrapped up the match.

Australian Open qualifying first round results
British men
Alan Mackin (GBR) beat Davide Sanguinetti (ITA) 6-3, 6-3
Jonny Marray (GBR) beat Andre Ghem (BRA) 6-3, 7-6
Matthew Ebden (AUS) beat Richard Bloomfield (GBR) 6-3, 5-7, 8-6.
Wesley Moodie (RSA) beat Jamie Baker (GBR) 6-2, 6-4
George Bastl (SUI) beat Alex Bogdanovic (GBR) 6-3, 6-4

British women
Katie O’Brien (GBR) beat Yanchong Chen (CHN) 3-6, 6-2, 8-7 ret
Anne Keothavong (GBR) beat Junri Namigata (JPN) 6-4, 6-4
Timea Bacsinszky (SUI) beat Mel South (GBR) 6-3, 7-6 (4)

from LTA website :)

WIMBY
Jan 11th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Tough draw :mad: v 10th seed Mel but well done as looking at the stats you won 79 points to 83 v a good player. Good luck next tournament :)

Monica_Rules
Jan 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Well the best who could have hopped for i think.

Mel had such a tough draw but from the sounds of it played well and challenged a player who when i saw her at 14 you knew was destined for the top 20.

Mel's been struggling a bit since winning that 25k in china but lets hope its just adjusting to playing better opponents more often, I'm sure, pretty soon she'll be winning these type of matches.

Good luck to Anne and Katie today, its gonna be tough but have faith that Anne can pull out a win.