PDA

View Full Version : irish tennis

polly
Dec 27th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Lads, dont be surprised to see Irish tennis players playing at the grand slams in a few years time. This programme is the first of its kind in ireland for any sport, its run by tennis ireland technical director Garry Cahill and was initially set up by Belgian Ivo Van Aken a former Federation cup coach to the Belgian team. All the junior players are training fulltime at the national training centre at dublin city university and it is residential. According to Tennis Ireland the fulltime programme is 75% based on the one in Belgium, so maybe someday ireland will regain their glory days that we had in the 1890's. Apparently to train fulltime it costs around 20,000 Euro per year in Dublin. There is one player in particular, bulgarian Mariyana Levova who has already applied for an irish passport, she hopes to play on the federation cup team this year for Ireland. To find out go to the www.tennisireland.ie and then go to the juniors section and go from there.;) ;) ;) :) :)

AlwaysGraf
Dec 27th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I hope I can root for an Irish female player one day. That would be fantastic. It just needs one top player for tennis to truly take off here. I remember playing a lot when I was younger, and I actually remember going to play in the inter provincials one time and I got to the final, beating the three of the four seeded players along the way, and then when there was team selection after that all those players were picked. They never got in touch with me again. They cater for the people with money here. Shitheads

Viktymise
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I hope I can root for an Irish female player one day. That would be fantastic. It just needs one top player for tennis to truly take off here. I remember playing a lot when I was younger, and I actually remember going to play in the inter provincials one time and I got to the final, beating the three of the four seeded players along the way, and then when there was team selection after that all those players were picked. They never got in touch with me again. They cater for the people with money here. Shitheads

Yes unfortunatley tennis is a middle and upper class game in ireland but im from working class and i play i think its getting a bit more popular, after the disaster that was the Collins Cup didnt help either. It was a good idea but the guy who ran it was an utter retard, with no business skills very much up himself too

Europe rocks
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Well, Britain starts off reforming it tennis structure and now the Irish follow suit, hats off to them :hatoff: Hopefully Ireland can get up the tennis scene and start challenging on the tour again

polly
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Its about Tennis Ireland woke up

polly
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Its only since September 2005 that fulltime programme for the juniors came into place in Ireland, I really dont know what they were doing all those years, I DEFINITELY believe if the likes of Belgium, Switzerland can do it so can Ireland when the time is right.

polly
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Its only since September 2005 that fulltime programme for the juniors came into place in Ireland, I really dont know what they were doing all those years, I DEFINITELY believe if the likes of Belgium, Switzerland can do it so can Ireland when the time is right.

polly
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:13 PM
According to the ceo of tennis ireland des allen, he believes that irish tennis will achieve as much in 10 years as the belgians did in 20 years

goldenlox
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:31 PM
To get what Belgium has, you need a player or two who is determined to be a champion, no matter what. It doesn't matter what kind of coaching she gets. It's a drive that's built in.

Viktymise
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:44 PM
To get what Belgium has, you need a player or two who is determined to be a champion, no matter what. It doesn't matter what kind of coaching she gets. It's a drive that's built in.

Exactly, i mean the coaching system is part of the problem but there just isint the same hunger in kids that come from the rich and middle class places in dublin which paly tennis, i know i live here and know who plays tennis. Kids who have a comfortable living dont have the same hunger, drive to want to be a champion, if they promoted tennis more in the suburbs and other working class area's in Dublin and other cities then maybe we could produce a champion, also there is alot of emphasis on education in Irish society, young kids and teenagers are in school around 7 or 8 hrs a day and takes away the time there is for tennis

goldenlox
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:50 PM
It's all about the players and the parents. There's no machine in Russia.
It's a lot of crazy girls, driven to succeed. And the parents let them not go to school.

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Until then, why not cheer heavily for lovely Kelly L? :hearts:

Viktymise
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:00 PM
It's all about the players and the parents. There's no machine in Russia.
It's a lot of crazy girls, driven to succeed. And the parents let them not go to school.

Exacly, its all a bit of a gamble with players from eastern europe, the fact that they know everything is riding on their tennis drives them more and increases their hunger

polly
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:00 PM
But what i cant understand is what happened to the glory days in the 1890's, Ireland DID dominate tennis and the next thing we were gone

goldenlox
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM
The 1890's?

Viktymise
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:03 PM
But what i cant understand is what happened to the glory days in the 1890's, Ireland DID dominate tennis and the next thing we were gone

:tape: :scratch: for some reason i think tennis has changed just a bit from around 110 years ago :lol:

polly
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Well there is a new really fascinating book out now about 'The History of Irish Tennis' by Tom Higgins. If you type that in google you will find it and also on www.tennisireland.ie

The Daviator
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I wish there was a good Irish player I could root for :(

polly
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:19 PM
The irish ladies open is one of the oldest tournaments in the world with a history spanning of 120 years. Billie jean king won in ireland in 1969 and virginia wade won it in 1970

AlwaysGraf
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Also, I went to a school which was heavy on their gaelic sports, gaelic football this, and gaelic football that,all the time for sports lessons. All this time I was playing tennis outside school. And everytime my school report was sent home I always used to get a C in PE which really fucked me off because I did really well in every other academic subject. I was good at tennis and badminton and was ok at football (soccer) and not bad at athletics. So one day I decided to not do PE and the teacher was pissed off that I had forgotten to bring my stuff. And I just let rip at him telling him what the hell was the poin you only give me a C and dont recognise that I do other sports apart from bloody football and gaelic football and I'm a better all rounder than some of the crap people in the class who just love football and are still shit at it, but because they show a real interest in it they warrant a B. Fuck that.

Anyway, that kind of attitude is common in schools in the area I lived and its that kind of ignorance of other sports such as tennis thats a reason why we dont have any stars

goldenlox
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:07 AM
That's true. Parents have to believe there is money in tennis. Then they give their young kids a racket. And encourage them to play.

tennisboi
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I went for private coaching for a couple of years and played in tournaments in Munster and it was harmless fun but that's everyone’s attitude in tennis Ireland they are just not serious about it on a level where we're going to have good juniors and ultimately have players in the top 200 or higher. A tennis centre was built in Dublin 2 or 3 years ago but it's just higher class people putting their kids there who aren't taking it seriously or so I’ve been told. I’d love a top Irish player in the WTA or ATP to follow at Grand Slams but realistically I don’t thing it’ll ever happen

polly
Dec 31st, 2006, 09:08 PM
here is a very interesting article i found:

www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20040711/ai_n12905545

polly
Dec 31st, 2006, 09:18 PM
thats is definitely very true about gaelic sports in ireland, it drives me cuckoo when i hear about hurling, camogie and football matches, its ok to hear, do or see a certain amount of gaelic sports but they definitely way overdo it. If they gave other sports a chance like tennis i am sure we would have a star. I often wondered if former kilkenny hurler dj carey was a tennis plyer how good would he be?

perseus2006
Dec 31st, 2006, 09:40 PM
There's an article somewhere on the board about Pova's young cousin, Daria, who started playing tennis at seven. She is working with the same coach who worked with Pova when she was a child. He said something to the effect that Daria is very good but started so late that he wasn't sure she would excel at the game. He said that , usually, a kid needs to start at five or earlier!!!

That's an awfully early age for an Irish family to essentially "give up" a child.

polly
Dec 31st, 2006, 09:52 PM
yeah i agree with you, because i dont know do you ever remember elsa o' riain who has already played federation cup for ireland a few years ago, apparently she had top 10 material to play on the wta tour, BUT her mother or father didnt have the courage to send elsa away when she was about 7 or 8 years old

perseus2006
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:03 PM
For sure! Irish families generally have lots of kids, five plus or minus. So it just not reasonable for one or both parents to devote a lifetime nurturing one child's career.

Emma has a half dozen siblings. Nurturing and money have been her biggest drawbacks. A different model needs to be worked out for the Irish rather than the Russian model. Training needs to be local and family oriented to produce top tennis players. That means more money, more trainers, more facilities. It's a monumental task.

polly
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:11 PM
do u know emma murphy?

njnetswill
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:17 PM
Ireland has never had much of a presence in the athletic world. It seems to have a few sports that are closely tied to the culture, but don't seem to produce athletes who excel at more global sports. It seems like it is a more minor version of India to me. India has tons of people, but when it comes to athletics, outside cricket, it almost has nothing.

perseus2006
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:18 PM
Not personally. Just what one picks up.

polly
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:30 PM
hey we have some great world class golfers, ireland the 2006 ryder cup which was televised around the world for all of ye to see. Athletics was anoher sport we excelled, we had so many world and olympic champions such as sonia o'sullivan, ronnie delaney, derval o'rourke, catherina mckiernan, eamonn coghlan, the list goes on and on, also dont forget boxing is another brilliant boxing, we produced more world, european and olympic champions such as katie taylor. wayne mccullough, bernard dunne, etc. Rowing is another sport ireland is excelling at international level, we have the coxless 4 gearoid towey i cant remember at this minute who the other 3 are, ireland has also done well at formula 1 car racing - eddie irvine, ireland has done phenomenally well at horse racing, we've had some of the greatest horse trainers of all time such as vincent o'brien and dermot weld who has had great success in the melbourne cup. In cycling ireland produced a tour de france winner and his name is stephen roche and we are very proud of that, the other great irish cyclist we've had is sean kelly who has won other tours.

V-MAC
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:39 PM
Don't fret!! I am currently seeing that my future wife and then our yet-to-be conceived child will be the star of Irish tennis :bounce:

polly
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:47 PM
and what part of ireland are u from

perseus2006
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Must be Ferns.

Dec 31st, 2006, 11:10 PM
Heres a pic of the TENNIS IRELAND coaching staff

http://www.bbcprograms.com/pbs/catalog/fatherted/images/0211fted.jpg

Ballbasher
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:40 PM
:haha: