PDA

View Full Version : Martina Hingis reported to be engaged to Radek

TeamUSA#1
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Martina Hingis' ace of hearts
Paul Malone
Herald Sun

December 28, 2006 12:00am
TRIPLE Australian Open tennis champion Martina Hingis has won her biggest love match, becoming engaged to Czech player Radek Stepanek.

A happy Hingis arrived in Queensland yesterday to launch her 2007 campaign as top seed of the Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourt championships, which start at the Gold Coast on Sunday.
Stepanek, 28, is ranked No. 19 in the world and seeded fourth for Adelaide's Next Generation International next week.

Hingis, who made a valiant comeback this year to reach a world ranking of seven after three full years off the world tour, remained silent yesterday.

But the 26-year-old Swiss miss wore a diamond ring while practising at Royal Pines yesterday and chatted happily to tour regulars about her engagement.

Hingis showed off the ring to countrywoman Emmanuelle Gagliardi with a beaming smile when they crossed paths on the practice court.

Hingis and Stepanek will be reunited next month when both play at the Australian Open, the tournament Hingis won three times in 1997-99, becoming the youngest Grand Slam singles champion of the 20th century when she broke through in 1997.

Hingis accompanied Stepanek to the Madrid Masters tournament in November, publicly teasing the Czech player over the tournament's use of male models as ballboys, saying "he won't let me watch the ballboys".

Tennis websites were buzzing in June about Stepanek becoming the latest in a sequence of tennis-playing boyfriends of Hingis.

Hingis had public relationships with Magnus Norman and Ivo Heuberger and also was linked to American Justin Gimelstob and Julian Alonso before she left the tour in 2002 with foot injuries and waning motivation.

Czech-born Hingis and Stepanek were reportedly childhood sweethearts before going their separate ways as teenagers.

WOW!! Didn't see that one coming... congrats to both of them if it is true!

tenn_ace
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Sincerely hoping that her genes are stronger than his and their kids will look like her :bounce:

Congrats to both anyways! :bounce:

Super Dave
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Don't know how things will work out with the stresses of tennis travel...but hopefully they will. Good luck to them...:cool:

Modiac.
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Come on,Martina!
Please dump him! :tape:

goldenlox
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:10 PM
And there was just an article in the NYDaily News today about Martina's boyfriends

cartmancop
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Although he's not as handsome as I would have pictured Martina's ideal partner, she seems to be happy, which is all that matters... Hope it works out well, its pretty tough for two active players to stay together. I wonder how much longer he will play, it seems he's interested in slowing down some after announcing no intentions for Davis Cup, etc. (or maybe it's b/c he's starting to have more success and wants to focus on his singles)

tenn_ace
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Although he's not as handsome as I would have pictured Martina's ideal partner, she seems to be happy, which is all that matters... Hope it works out well, its pretty tough for two active players to stay together. I wonder how much longer he will play, it seems he's interested in slowing down some after announcing no intentions for Davis Cup, etc. (or maybe it's b/c he's starting to have more success and wants to focus on his singles)

or maybe he now needs to save some energy for some other things? :p :cool:

cartmancop
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:47 PM
or maybe he now needs to save some energy for some other things? :p :cool:

Yes Martina has been known to 'drain' the ability of several players :devil:

goldenlox
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Martina had better get a solid pre-nup.

iPatty
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I seriously doubt this will last.

Nicolás89
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:09 PM

agreed:sad:

Sugar_Kane
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Martina is so lucky to have found her soulmate so young, I wish them both all the best (although I do agree with tenn_ace.)

Sugar_Kane
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Martina had better get a solid pre-nup.

True love doesn't need a pre-nup, going into marriage whilst making plans for the break-up just highlights what is wrong with our world today.

tenn_ace
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM

Does she get to keep the rock? :p

Princeza
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gooner
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:45 PM
He may not be the best looking guy, but at least she is happy.

alfonsojose
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:51 PM
:eek: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20979937-3162,00.html

Drake1980
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Martina:eek: but :banana:

Brooklyn90
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Congrats if it's true :yeah:

itzhak
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Martina and the ring...

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/7020/ringaz9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

moon
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:09 PM
not a big Marti fan, but she seems pretty happy to me.
good luck to them both. :)

hablo
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Czech-born Hingis and Stepanek were reportedly childhood sweethearts before going their separate ways as teenagers.

I guess they go way back . . . :lol:

hablo
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
True love doesn't need a pre-nup, going into marriage whilst making plans for the break-up just highlights what is wrong with our world today.

Yeah, right, nevermind "true love", I think she sould have a prenup too. Everyone thinks they've found true love at first . . . ;)

polly
Dec 27th, 2006, 08:33 PM
congrats to martina and radek

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 27th, 2006, 08:42 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/5/photos/headshots/main/S694_AS.jpg

This says alot about her as a person...good for her for seeing past that mug...:worship:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 27th, 2006, 08:57 PM
:hug: Good for her

~Kiera~
Dec 27th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Congrats to Martina and Radek.

I'm generally not a fan of them, but it does makes sense when one person has a much bigger fortune than the other, especially considering the fact that so many marriages end in divorce.

I'm sure Paul McCartney wishes he'd have made Heather Mills sign one.

Dutglish
Dec 27th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I like it. I'm somewhat surprised at the two of them getting hitched, though I have nothing to base that on of course. I don't know Chuckles or Radek personally now do I. What matters is they seem happy when they're together. Good luck to them.

James
Dec 27th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I am happy for them. I wish them a lot of happiness together.

Wtrain
Dec 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM
congrats to both of them.

PLP
Dec 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Well, I for one am excited for her. He really loves her and they seem very happy! BUT...NO PREGNANCY PLEASE!!! (at least not for a few more years ;) )

jujufreak
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Congratulations Martina and Radek :D

star
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Congrats! :toothy:

Ben.
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Congrats Martina :clap2: just as long as she is happy that's all that matters.

goldenlox
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I hope it works out

LadyLil
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I don't think Ms Hingisova will get married without a pre nup. After what happened to Paul McCartney she'd be nuts not to have one. In the end it protects both parties.

Veritas
Dec 28th, 2006, 02:09 AM

Actually, people still believing that "true love" exists is what's wrong with the world.

Martina's a thinker, so she'll want to set up a solid pre-nup agreement before exchanging vows at a chapel. She's earned almost $20 million in career earnings, whereas Stephanek has around $3 million. She'll want to protect what she's worked so hard for since she was a teenager.

klok
Dec 28th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Well, I for one am excited for her. He really loves her and they seem very happy! BUT...NO PREGNANCY PLEASE!!! (at least not for a few more years ;) )

My thoughts exactly.

go hingis
Dec 28th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Look after our Princess Radek, I wish them all the best.

Kick Ass In 2007 Martina Hingis!

Martian Stacey
Dec 28th, 2006, 03:28 AM
wow this is a surprise...

but congrats to them both :) I wish them every success and I hope they are truely happy :)

Martian Stacey
Dec 28th, 2006, 03:29 AM
omg I didn't think of that :lol: but yes I totally agree ;)

Sund7101
Dec 28th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Congrats to both of them and I think they make a good couple, Radek was so supportive during Marti's comeback esp. at the YEC.

Marcell
Dec 28th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Hingis Engaged To Stepanek; No Wedding Date Set Yet

By Tennis Week
12/29/2006

Newly-engaged Martina Hingis is intent on making an Australian Open run; the three-time Australian Open champion has not yet set a date for a walk down the aisle.

Hingis arrived in Australia with a new sparkle and reason to smile. The 26-year-old Hingis hit the practice court in Queensland on Tuesday sporting a sparkling diamond ring that is more than an accessory to her adidas attire.

The former serial-dating Swiss is engaged to boyfriend Radek Stepanek. The couple have not yet set a date for their wedding.

A Hingis representative told Tennis Week today the five-time Grand Slam champion is engaged, confirming published reports in the Australian media.

"She is engaged," the representative told Tennis Week. "No date has been set for the next steps."

The seventh-ranked Hingis, who is the top seed at the Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourt Championships, which start on Sunday, did not speak to the media or publicly comment on her engagement earlier this week, however Wednesday's edition of The Herald Sun reports a happy Hingis "chatted to tour regulars about her engagement."

It is the first engagement for Hingis, who has established a reputation as a tennis temptress. Hingis has dated tennis players in the past including Justin Gimelstob, Julian Alonso, Ivo Heuberger and former French Open finalist Magnus Norman prompting Sports Illustrated, in a 2001 issue, to nickname Hingis "Tennis' Black Widow" as all four of those players suffered injuries after their liasons with Hingis, suggesting she may be to tennis players what the Sirens were to Ulysses: an alluring and perilous presence. Hingis also dated Spanish golfer Sergio Garcia and former Florida prosecutor Chris Calkin, who was the assistant state attorney in Florida's Dade County and presented the case against Hingis stalker Dubravko Rajcevic resulting in his conviction in 2001.

The six-time Australian Open finalist, who was born in Slovakia and is of Czech descent, has reportedly known Stepanek since the pair were junior players.

The 28-year-old Stepanek, who has been sidelined with a back injury since he bowed to Jonas Bjorkman in the Wimbledon quarterfinals, is the fourth seed in next week's Next Generation Invitational in Adelaide. Stepanek will not represent the Czech Republic when it hosts the United States in the first-round Davis Cup tie set for February 9-11.

-sugi-
Dec 28th, 2006, 06:36 PM
congratulations to Marti :) :bigclap:

goldenlox
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Florida prosecutor Chris Calkin

She dated her attorney?

denisgiann
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Let the mutation begin...............:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tenis Srbija
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Martina + Radek :help: :help: :help:

goldenlox
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:41 PM
It's hard to believe, because Martina is a worldwide celebrity. She should make this a long engagement. Don't rush down the aisle.

LH2HBH
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:43 PM
So many people despise Radek over his looks! Obviously Martina is not so superficial! He must be the right kind of man for Martina which is all that matters!

Plus he can play tennis! Sounds like a good match to me!

drake3781
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:47 PM

Idealistic, but impractical. And unfair.

And easy for someone without a fortune earned on her own, without a man and before a marriage, to make.

Get back to us when you have that kind of money that you earned on your own, and are contemplating marriage to someone with either an equally complex financial status or having significantly less money than you do.

drake3781
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Sounds great... but they've been together for less than a year, right? Hope they stay engaged a bit longer.

Haven't I read some complaints about Radek's behavior and/or sportsmanship, or is he great guy?

Best wishes to them!

goldenlox
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Was Martina ever engaged before?

morningglory
Dec 29th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Oy... :o Seriously, Radek must be a really nice person... I'm 99.99% sure she didn't marry him for looks...

vicky116_is_back
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:02 PM
hmm detail in this thread:

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=278350

i posted some links from my blog. see the ring. lol

Belco
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Oy... :o Seriously, Radek must be a really nice person... I'm 99.99% sure she didn't marry him for looks...

Its 100% !!

Chewie
Dec 29th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Congrats Marti.