PDA

View Full Version : Random memories of lesser-known players...

cartmancop
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:02 AM
b/c the season hasn't started yet, & b/c I'm bored @ 2am...

Post your fave random memory of a player who's not one of the 'elite' that is mentioned constantly on the board...

*Remember when Maureen Drake gave Venus a scare @ Wimbledon that year? I was so schocked when she took that set :eek: Thank goodness Vee survived :angel:

*Remember Clarissa Fernandez' surprise run to the FO semis? Didn't she take out Kim along the way? Also Kapros taking out JHH (although, wasn't JHH ill that year, to be fair)

*Schett upsetting Vee & Kandarr upsetting Amelie @ the French Open :help:

*Bychkova upsetting Svetlana as she defended the USO and then vanishing again....

*Harkleroad & Hantuchova's match @ RG, I think it was a 3R, where Ashley had a huge lead, blew it, had a crying session on a changeover & then pulled out the win. :D (Although scary/sad point for Daniela :sad: )

The Dawntreader
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Remember when Anca barna took a set off Serena Williams in Liepzig in 02?:eek:

The Daviator
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Two words...

Schaul. Strasbourg.

:fiery: :lol:

selesfan!
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Two words...

Schaul. Strasbourg.

I was going to say that, as well as Chladkova, Wimbledon! :lol:

CCCP1
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:20 AM
*Sandra Kleinova beating Dementieva at Wimbledon her first and only match win in 10 years at Wimbledon.

*Ellwood defeating Carlsson at Hopman Cup a few years ago after being down a set and 4/0

*Carlsson taking a set off Rubin at Australian Open

*Kapros beating Stosur at Australian Open

Viktymise
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Kleinova beating Dementieva was one of the weirdest things ever. Kleinova had only 1 other MD that year up to that point. She had barely won a match at Wimbledon before. She was injured and didn't even have a coach with her or anyone for support yet somehow beats the player who gets to the final of RG just weeks previous in 3 sets :shrug:

martin white
Dec 27th, 2006, 12:55 PM
little miho saeki in that epic at melb park in 99 coming back from 0-5 only to loose to kournikova 12-10 in the 3rd! still got it somewhere on tape!:lol:

Drimal
Dec 27th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Two words...

Schaul. Strasbourg.

Claudine's Strasbourg 2004 title run was the happiest week since I follow tennis.:angel:

Other memory:

Anne Kremer bashing Kim Clijsters (who was ranked 16 at the time) with 6:2 6:1 in Berlin 2001 :drool:

And Aniko Kapros beating Justine Henin Hardenne, Marlene Weingärtner beating Jennifer Capriati are worth mentionning because they are now completely off the radar. :(

.Andrew.
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:03 PM
These are all very good points :lol:

How about Jidkova's win over Serena in Linz 04...

The Dawntreader
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:41 PM
These are all very good points :lol:

How about Jidkova's win over Serena in Linz 04...

God that was bizarre:eek: :lol:

Remember Daja Bedanova beating Seles at the Open? Then promptly losing 6-2 6-0 to hingis in the next round!:o

Viktymise
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:44 PM
God that was bizarre:eek: :lol:

Remember Daja Bedanova beating Seles at the Open? Then promptly losing 6-2 6-0 to hingis in the next round!:o

Bedanova was extremely talented though, she was just very unlucky with injury :sad:

The Dawntreader
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Bedanova was extremely talented though, she was just very unlucky with injury :sad:

Indeed she was:sad:

Els callens nearly beating Serena Williams in straight sets at Wimby 02. Had 5-2 leads in both sets i believe, before losing in 2 tiebreaks.

Viktymise
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Indeed she was:sad:

Els callens nearly beating Serena Williams in straight sets at Wimby 02. Had 5-2 leads in both sets i believe, before losing in 2 tiebreaks.

Serena wasn't wearing correct grass shoes if i remember correctly aswell, she kept slipping all over the place

The Dawntreader
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Serena wasn't wearing correct grass shoes if i remember correctly aswell, she kept slipping all over the place

Priority check Serena!:lol:

auntie janie
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Remember Meredith McGrath reaching the semis at Wimbledon? But she was so beat up by the time she got there, she showed up for her semifinal looking like a mummy, with both legs bandaged from top to toe.

Hardly anyone remembers Meredith now. But for the rest of her life, whenever people mention Dokic, Lucic, Kournikova, or Lori McNeil as surprise Wimbledon semifinalists, Meredith can casually say, "Oh, I did that, too." :D

martin white
Dec 27th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Remember Meredith McGrath reaching the semis at Wimbledon? But she was so beat up by the time she got there, she showed up for her semifinal looking like a mummy, with both legs bandaged from top to toe.

Hardly anyone remembers Meredith now. But for the rest of her life, whenever people mention Dokic, Lucic, Kournikova, or Lori McNeil as surprise Wimbledon semifinalists, Meredith can casually say, "Oh, I did that, too." :D

lori yes in 94 bit of a suprise, but well rewarded! she had a great game for grass,i remember her also giving martinez all kinds of headacheslater in her last years on tour!

The Dawntreader
Dec 27th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Lubomira Kurhajcova leading lisa Raymond 6-0 5-0 in the first round of RG in 04. She went on to lose 0-6 7-5 6-3. not suprisingly, she went into a big slump after that:eek:

martin white
Dec 27th, 2006, 03:22 PM
mana endo beating davenport at the 94 us open in 2 sets:eek: moving her all over the court exploiting her then lack of mobility!still got it on tape somewhere!:lol:

goldenlox
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I remember Chladkova winning the first set against Capriati at the USO

iPatty
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Obata taking a set off of Hantuchova at the Australian Open.

disco_rage
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:24 PM
A match i always remember was 1997 French Open 4th round.

Martina Hingis against BARBARA PAULUS

Hingis won 63 06 60. In a bizarre match, but boy did Martina make Barbara pay for that second set bagel!

Wiggly
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Lubomira Kurhajcova leading lisa Raymond 6-0 5-0 in the first round of RG in 04. She went on to lose 0-6 7-5 6-3. not suprisingly, she went into a big slump after that:eek:

Wich she's still in:tape:

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Christina Wheeler won her first and only Grand Slam match at The French Open 2002 thanks to Kournikova.
Anna has had many bad losses since Melbourne-2001 but this one ^ is just beyond my understanding :tape: :fiery: :help:

Ironically, Wheeler's only other Tour main draw win came against another Russian Tatiana Panova at Gold Coast 2001 :lol:

gmak
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:11 PM
A match i always remember was 1997 French Open 4th round.

Martina Hingis against BARBARA PAULUS

Hingis won 63 06 60. In a bizarre match, but boy did Martina make Barbara pay for that second set bagel!

another similar scoreline for Martina at the 2000 French Open 4th round against Ruxandra Dragomir 6-3 0-6 6-1
after winning the first, Martina lost 7 games in a row, before winning 6 in a row ;) :lol:

tenn_ace
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:20 PM
a lady who played mixed doubles against Graf/McEnroe at Wimbledon a few years ago. I don't remember her name but she had a really wicked service motion, so wicked that both Steffi and John couldn't hide their laughter every time that woman served. Anyone knows who I'm talking about? She's from Czeck Republic I think.

Joana
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM
a lady who played mixed doubles against Graf/McEnroe at Wimbledon a few years ago. I don't remember her name but she had a really wicked service motion, so wicked that both Steffi and John couldn't hide their laughter every time that woam served. Anyone knows who I'm talking about? She's from Czeck Republic I think.

Eva Melicharova.

I remember Rachel McQuillan playing Monica Seles at Wimbledon 1997, being bagelled in the first set and on her way to another one in the second, then she won a game and raised her arms up in the air and the crowd roared as if she had won the match. :lol:

tenn_ace
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Eva Melicharova.

That's it :yeah:

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:06 PM
How about Marta Marrero coming out of nowhere to reach the quarters at the 2000 RG! And who did she beat in the r16? Rossana De Los Rios who had picked up her racket like few months ago for her comeback! That was great!

Melanie Gloria beating Daniela Hantuchova and reaching Quebec City quarters as a qualifier was sthing too :lol:

How about Cho, who was getting killed against Seles, only to see her come back and win the second but losing easily in the third?

Y'all remember Amanda Grahame almost beating Serena at the 2000 AO?

frenchie
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Anybody remember Dyrberg winning the first set against Venus at Miami 2001?