PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best serve in women's tennis??

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I was just wondering who u guys think has the best serve!!!

heartBREAKeRS
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Serena, and only Serena - Her seconds serve ROCKS, the best femal kick serve ever, and her first is HOT.

Venus has a good first serve (the hardest in the femal tennis) - Her second serve is crap, sorry Venus!

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:25 AM
alicia definitely... her first serve is deadly an her second serve is very hard to return... after alicia i would say sam stosur or maria sharapova

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:27 AM
:banana: I think Stosur has the best serve because it is so powerful and sets the point up well for her forehand. Also Stosurs second serve has alot of kick which makes it very hard to return!!!:banana:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Not Again :rolleyes:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Not Again :rolleyes:

Wat do u meen by that:confused:

rocksania
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:53 AM
masha has a good one ..

i surely want sania mirza to be right here..i knw it will take some time b4 it happens....

lets hope 4 the best..

Shonami Slam
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:01 AM
davenport, petrova and vaidisova are the only ones missing from the already mentioned, and that just about sums up the best servers these days.

jazar
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM
stosur serve, especially her second serve is good, with lots of kick. its the same with ivanovic. but i would say the most devastating serve would be serena williams

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Wat do u meen by that:confused:

these things are always coming up every few weeks even days

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:07 AM
With the exception of Justine and Ivanovic, I think the options you have listed are impressive. A lot of times when people do poles like this they leave off players like Petrova, Stousur, and Vaidisova, glad to see you included them.

I take exception with Justine and Ivanovic for different reasons. With Justine I think her serve can be just as deadly as anyone else on the list, but what hurts her is the amount of points she also gives away with her serve. She's not as bad as Lena_D but she double faults a lot more than the players she's included with. They're able to hit harder and go for more and also keep their double faults to a minimum. Once JuJu can do that I'll consider her a great server. As for Ivanovic it's funny because traditionally players with great forehands usually have great serves. She does have a pretty good serve- good placement, loads of pace, and she doesn't have a lot of double faults, but she gets broken a lot more than a person with her serve should. I think she has enourmous potential and will become a great server in time.

The only player I think you left off would be Patty Schnyder. She wins a lot of points on her serve. She's a lefty and has some of the best placement in the game. In any given tournament she's usually in the top 10 for aces and first serve points won.

My list of the best servers (both first and second serves) would look like this:

1. Serena
2. Petrova
3. Sharapova- She can call on her serve when she really needs it
4. Vaidisova
5. Schnyder - She's the most under-rated of of the big servers
6. Molik
7. Stosur
8. Venus- top 3 for first serves
9. Justine tied with Mauresmo
10. Kuznetsova- deadly when she's on
11. Shenay Perry
12. Tatiana Golovin
13. B. Mattek
14. Ivanovic
15. Clijsters

Honarble mention: Safina, Pannetta, Groenfeld, S. Bremond, and Hantuchova.

Funny having a list of best servers and no longer mentioning Lindsay...

Craigy
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:20 AM
:yawn:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:22 AM
:sad: Linds...

Viktymise
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Ill just list the top 10 in the game in no particular order

Serena
Sharapova
Petrova
Davenport
Vaidisova
Sprem
Venus
Ivanovic
Molik
Stosur

Vacant
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:38 AM
At the moment, I'd say Petrova.

Highlandman
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:42 AM
The Williams, Molik, (Davenport) , Petrova, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Vaidisova, Sprem, Kuznetsova :p :angel:

Viktymise
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Sprem's serve is my fav at the moment, its super fluid and she has a great knee bend, her abbrieviated action cuts out chances for something to go wrong with it, she keeps a very loose arm on it so she can generate alot of power. She has a great 2nd serve too, she can kick it and hit the flat one too. If she didn't try to absolutley wallop it everytime even on the 2nd serve, it could be one of the best in the game ;)

Ellery
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Alicia or Nadia :worship:

blumaroo
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:22 PM
With the exception of Justine and Ivanovic, I think the options you have listed are impressive. A lot of times when people do poles like this they leave off players like Petrova, Stousur, and Vaidisova, glad to see you included them.

I take exception with Justine and Ivanovic for different reasons. With Justine I think her serve can be just as deadly as anyone else on the list, but what hurts her is the amount of points she also gives away with her serve. She's not as bad as Lena_D but she double faults a lot more than the players she's included with. They're able to hit harder and go for more and also keep their double faults to a minimum. Once JuJu can do that I'll consider her a great server. As for Ivanovic it's funny because traditionally players with great forehands usually have great serves. She does have a pretty good serve- good placement, loads of pace, and she doesn't have a lot of double faults, but she gets broken a lot more than a person with her serve should. I think she has enourmous potential and will become a great server in time.

The only player I think you left off would be Patty Schnyder. She wins a lot of points on her serve. She's a lefty and has some of the best placement in the game. In any given tournament she's usually in the top 10 for aces and first serve points won.

My list of the best servers (both first and second serves) would look like this:

1. Serena
2. Petrova
3. Sharapova- She can call on her serve when she really needs it
4. Vaidisova
6. Molik
7. Stosur
11. Shenay Perry
12. Tatiana Golovin
13. B. Mattek
14. Ivanovic
15. Clijsters

Honarble mention: Safina, Pannetta, Groenfeld, S. Bremond, and Hantuchova.

Pierce and Krajicek are better servers than Mattek and Perry. And Schiavone and Santangelo can be added to honorable mentions. But other wise a good list.
Jankovic has a very underrated first serve too.

thelittlestelf
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Serena without question. Perfect technique, amazing power, amazing placement, excellent kick serve, and great deception and variety.

Davenport, Sharapova , Pierce, Venus (1st serve), Clijsters, and Henin also have good to excellent serves.

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 26th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Pierce and Krajicek are better servers than Mattek and Perry. And Schiavone and Santangelo can be added to honorable mentions. But other wise a good list.
Jankovic has a very underrated first serve too.I agree with you on adding Shiavone and Santangelo to the honarable mention list. I didn't forget them and considered adding them, same goes for Krajicek and Sprem, they're definitely worth a mention. Pierce on the otherhand didn't cross my mind, just totally forgot about her. I'm not sure I agree that Krajicek has a more effective serve than Mattek or Perry. I think Mattek and Perry can really get the most out of their serves on the faster surfaces, at this point moreso than Krajicek. She's young though and she's only getting better.

selyoink
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Serena followed by Sharapova.

LucasArg
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Serena.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:24 AM
I think although Serena's is better, ATM, Sharapova's is the most effective, but I think once Serena's health gets better, her serve will be unquestionalby the best and most effective.

cartmancop
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Right now I'd say Sharapova. Good solid power, consistently good, excellent second serve & good under pressure.

In recent memory Serena of '03 was one of the best I've seen, also Davenport @ her best...
Molik and Petrova also have BIG serves...
JHH's serve is just not that good lately IMO, sooo many Dfs it seems this season, but she gets the job done so.... Was her second serve as problematic in the past? I can't remember :lol:

Marcus Jordan
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Martina Hingis has the best service action in women's tennis.

Derek.
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:20 AM
1. S. Williams
2. Sharapova
3. Petrova
4. Vaidisova
5. Molik

Shimizu Amon
Dec 27th, 2006, 08:55 AM
This one is really easy. I think Maria has the best and biggest serve out there.

Derek.
Dec 27th, 2006, 08:58 AM
This one is really easy. I think Maria has the best and biggest serve out there.

It's definitely not the biggest.

A lot of people get more MPH's on their serves than Maria i.e. Serena, Venus, Nicole, Ana, Nadia, etc.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 27th, 2006, 08:59 AM
maybe best, but BIGGEST :scratch: I dunno kiddo :shrug:

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM

She has an effective serve and it's pretty reliable when it needs to be, so I can see why so many people like it. But when you look at the other big servers you'll see their serving stats are even more impressive in a lot of cases.

Biggest and best, no, great, yeah.

RR-87
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Nadia.

Mina Vagante
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:47 AM
serena Williams she has the best 1st and 2nd serve

Shimizu Amon
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM
She has an effective serve and it's pretty reliable when it needs to be, so I can see why so many people like it. But when you look at the other big servers you'll see their serving stats are even more impressive in a lot of cases.

Biggest and best, no, great, yeah.

I can understand your reaction, but they asked our opinion.
And there are quite some other big serves out there but it's my opinion that Maria has the biggest and best serve out on court. :)

austennis
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Hands down it has to be molik.. only player i ever seen 2 serve 4 aces in a game.. she did it in semis of sydeny 2005 against peng i tink..

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I that depends on the quality of the returner though....when someone can serve 100% in a set and only lose 2 points on serve to the WORLD #1, that person has the best serve :worship: ;)

frenchie
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Obviously Serena Williams!

In term of 1st serve, second serve, accuracy, placement and speed

Maria Croft
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I would say Maria right now, a big first serve, a very good second, and it's there for her when she needs it the most a lot.

But Serena's serve was amazing a few years ago, I don't know how it is now though.

faste5683
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Serena. When she's fit her first serve is brutal and her second is extremly tough.

Nadia's getting close, though.

:wavey:

So Disrespectful
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I really can't justify people picking Serena. She rarely hits more than 5 aces in a match, and I can't remember her consistently hitting first serves over 185 for the last 2-3 years.

Tenis Srbija
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:45 PM
JuJu has amazing serve. Few people noticed that, cause she is all amazing, so nothing stick's out... But her serve is great!!!

The Dawntreader
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I really can't justify people picking Serena. She rarely hits more than 5 aces in a match, and I can't remember her consistently hitting first serves over 185 for the last 2-3 years.

Its not always about the ace-count, just look at Serena's variety on serve. Serve out-wide is her favourite choice, but she can pop a flat serve down the middle and Serena excells at serving into the body.

Serena's serve is consistently in the 108-115mph region, but yes true she does slow it down sometimes to get the required effect on serve.

watchdogfish
Dec 28th, 2006, 02:38 PM
JuJu has amazing serve. Few people noticed that, cause she is all amazing, so nothing stick's out... But her serve is great!!!

Agreed :yeah:
I think Justine's serve is probably the most under-rated in women's tennis

!<blocparty>!
Dec 28th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Serena Williams hasn't had the best serve on tour for over 3 years now, yet she's leading the poll.

Maria Sharapova as the best serve on tour, followed by Nadia Petrova, Justine Henin-Hardenne and Nicole Vaidisova.

Viktymise
Dec 28th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Serena Williams hasn't had the best serve on tour for over 3 years now, yet she's leading the poll.

Maria Sharapova as the best serve on tour, followed by Nadia Petrova, Justine Henin-Hardenne and Nicole Vaidisova.

I agree, since the knee injury at Wimbledon 03 her serve has not been the same, before that it was arguably the best serve ever, i was just watching her 03 Wimbledon semi last night against Justine and her serve was scary good. Since that injury though she has struggled with her consistency on serve and has shown flashes of how great it is

Farina Elia Fan
Dec 28th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I dont like her but its Juju - people who say Serena is living back in 2002. Unfortunately I doubt we will see it again :sad:

blumaroo
Dec 28th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Kanepi and Srebotnik also have very decent serves.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I agree, since the knee injury at Wimbledon 03 her serve has not been the same, before that it was arguably the best serve ever, i was just watching her 03 Wimbledon semi last night against Justine and her serve was scary good. Since that injury though she has struggled with her consistency on serve and has shown flashes of how great it is

Well before the surgery her second serve was unquestionably the best ever. "Struggled with her consistency" - exactly. She's served great for a few tournaments since then, but to nowhere near the standard it was. Her second serve at the US Open this year was probably 50% of what it used to be.

Highlandman
Dec 28th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Sprem's serve is my fav at the moment, its super fluid and she has a great knee bend, her abbrieviated action cuts out chances for something to go wrong with it, she keeps a very loose arm on it so she can generate alot of power. She has a great 2nd serve too, she can kick it and hit the flat one too. If she didn't try to absolutley wallop it everytime even on the 2nd serve, it could be one of the best in the game ;)

Yep, I see it so like you. Sprem can have such a great serve. If she has a good day, her serve is top-5 for sure IMO ;) :p :p

gumoll
Dec 28th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I'm sure Dementieva but she is scared to show it :p

Viktymise
Dec 28th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Yep, I see it so like you. Sprem can have such a great serve. If she has a good day, her serve is top-5 for sure IMO ;) :p :p

Karolina has everything in her game and her serve is probably the best part but for the 2nd half of 06 her 1st serve % was usually below 40% for a match :tape: alot of it down to her arm injury but when she's on she can go serve for serve and shot for shot with anyone. Her 1st serve is a bomb she can get it up past the 120 mark regularly and she can use a kick 2nd serve which is uber effective too

miffedmax
Dec 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Who cares? Serving is SOOOO overrated.

morningglory
Dec 28th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Masha has the best balanced serving of course :p Usually decent %, fires nicely when down BP's and under pressure, very unattackable 2nd serves, good speed (tho not the fastest nor sharpest but definitely damaging) very flaw free.

However if you are talking about sheer magnitude (despite the player averaging one or two of such serves in each of her matches) then Serena easily takes the cake

Neptune
Dec 28th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Who cares? Serving is SOOOO overrated.

Oh,don't be sad:sad: Elena can serve good sometimes:)

eugreene2
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:11 PM
It's still serena despite the injuries IMO. We haven't seen Serena consistently enough on a court since the kneee injury. I think you have to measure these questions based on a player being healthy. If a player is injured, of course they are not the best. For that reason, it's Serena Williams. She didn't lose her mechanics. That's why you can still see the great serve come out sometimes. She'll be back & the serve will be lethal again. Sharapova has a very good serve but there's nothing lethal about it. Petrova has the potential to be a lethal server - we're still waiting on her.

RJWCapriati
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:22 PM
S. Williams

gocanadago
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Serena

Derek.
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I can understand your reaction, but they asked our opinion.
And there are quite some other big serves out there but it's my opinion that Maria has the biggest and best serve out on court. :)

She doesn't have the biggest serve. Look at the GS's and fastest serves. Maria is rarely in the top 5 or sometimes 10.

She does have the best serve now though, IMO.

Derek.
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Karolina has everything in her game and her serve is probably the best part but for the 2nd half of 06 her 1st serve % was usually below 40% for a match :tape: alot of it down to her arm injury but when she's on she can go serve for serve and shot for shot with anyone. Her 1st serve is a bomb she can get it up past the 120 mark regularly and she can use a kick 2nd serve which is uber effective too

It's not good though.

If it was good she'd be higher than where she is now.

When she's at her best like in 2004 it was a great serve.

Now it's average except for the fact that she can hit a serve at 120+ MPH sometimes.

orfeus
Dec 28th, 2006, 06:01 PM
:lol: Masha as the second :lol: ...out of the players mentioned, Nadia's got the biggest potential

Lulu.
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Serena. She still has it :)

Tenis Srbija
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Elena Dementieva :ras: :lol: :p

Beny
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I think Sharapova...
..Schnyder is a very good one..but too harmless sometimes
I agree Venus` 2nd serve is crap...

DemWilliamsGulls
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Elene Dementieva ;) lol ( voted miss Serena Williams)

saki
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I'm suprised Amelie's not in the poll. Her serve is a real weapon. Very consistent but also very powerful.

Sexysova
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:36 PM
it is clear - Nicole Vaidisova :) very good speed, angles, many aces ;)

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 8th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I think Serena! She showed what she can do today! :yeah:

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 10th, 2007, 11:59 PM

1. Serena
2. Petrova
3. Sharapova
4. Vaidisova
6. Molik
7. Stosur
11. Shenay Perry
12. Tatiana Golovin
13. B. Mattek
14. Ivanovic
15. Clijsters

This list was compiled over a year ago so I'd like make changes, not to mention Lindsay is back so now I can include her.

1. Serena
2. Lindsay
3. Vaidisova
4. Ivanovic
5. Venus
6. Krajicek
7. Petrova
8. Schnyder
9. Golovin
10. Justine

Sharapova still has a decent serve even with her many service woes, but she's no longer worthy of top 10 status. Ivanovic has really pulled it together and is now one of the tours best. Petrova still has a great serve, it's just the rest of her game that's not holding up. One year later and I still think Serena's got the best one.

PaulHopkins
Dec 11th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Sharapova

saniapower
Dec 11th, 2007, 05:04 AM
1. Venus
2. Sharapova
3. Petrova
4. Molic
5. Kuznetsova
6. Krajicek
7. Serena
8. Justine
u need to show lot of consistency in this area and right now nobody is up to that.
IMO Federer has the best serve in ATP. something like this can't be said here.

Harvs
Dec 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM
molik. when its on, no comparison in the womens game.

although as it hasnt been on mushc lately... venus maybe?

korben
Dec 11th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Obviously Camille Pin. She gets 1st serve in nearly 90% of the time.
None can match that !

On bit more serious note.
Molik has best serve (1st + 2nd combined) - and it is not even close.

Some might have 1st that has bit more bite, but when they make only 50% or so of those have to concider 2nds as well.

Dor Y
Dec 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Serena, Nicole, Sharapova and Molik.