PDA

View Full Version : Does Stosur have the game to reach top ten?

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Hey guys i am a huge fan of stosur and i was wondering if u guys reckon she has the game for top ten. discuss

SAM STOSUR

ozfan44
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Yes she just needs the confidence and belief in herself!

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Yer i agree:)

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Agree, plus not lose to a lot of players ranked lowly below her! (as shown when she lost to Kloesel in Hasselt).

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Agree, plus not lose to a lot of players ranked lowly below her! (as shown when she lost to Kloesel in Hasselt).

I know how bad was that!!! Did she play crap or did Kloesel play great?

iPatty
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Nope. :haha:

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:40 AM
No.. I saw her play against Petrova in Linz and she had pretty much nothing except for some serves.... I dont think she can

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:51 AM
I know how bad was that!!! Did she play crap or did Kloesel play great?

i didn't see that match, but i would assume that sam just played crap cause all kloesel does is get the ball back in play & waits for opponents to make UF's. glad kim beat kloesel the next day which made me feel a lot better :)

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 26th, 2006, 07:03 AM
i didn't see that match, but i would assume that sam just played crap cause all kloesel does is get the ball back in play & waits for opponents to make UF's. glad kim beat kloesel the next day which made me feel a lot better :)

Lol:)

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 26th, 2006, 07:33 AM
I think she can but whether she will is another thing i hope so though

aussie_fan
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:37 AM
she can if she does improve some areas of her game a little bit and gets a bit more consisntancy happening, but if that doesn't happen i don't think she can.

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:50 AM
well a lot of the top 30 players have the potential its just a matter of who wants it more... she definitely has the game for it and she knows how to win big matches in tight situations from her experience in doubles she just needs conifdence, consistency and the will to reach top ten...

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM
well a lot of the top 30 players have the potential its just a matter of who wants it more... she definitely has the game for it and she knows how to win big matches in tight situations from her experience in doubles she just needs conifdence, consistency and the will to reach top ten...

I agree with everything u said!!!:worship:

switz
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:02 AM
if Stosur works with the right people to tighten up her groundstrokes and tactics then i believe she'll continue to make big strides in the years to come because she has such a big advantage with her serve and to a lesser extent volleys. Still a lot of work to be done but she's never shown any resistance to the hard slog.

we shall see - top 20 should be the aim for now.

jazar
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:19 AM
she has the potential, she just needs to reign herslf in a bit. i watched her play the doubles at the YEC and she was trying to hit the return of serve way to hard-she wanted to go for a winner every time. she needs to learn some patience, cos she has big groundstrokes and can do a lot of damage when she uses them at the right time. she also needs to improve her volleying and playing the amount of doubles she does will obviously help. however, if she is going to reach the top 10, she needs to play less doubles and concentrate more on her singles

Shimizu Amon
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I voted NO, because it's my opinion that she doesn't have the game to reach the top 10.

The Dawntreader
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:45 AM
IMO, it's unlikely she'll make the top 10. Her weapons, apart from the serve are not 'big' enough really to cause that much damage against top 10 players. Dont get me wrong, nice forehand, solid backhand and much improved volleys, but they're not top 10 weaponary, they dont seem to all blend together.

That saying, she was at the level molik was at a few years back. If molik could become top 10 material with a game similar to Stosur, then maybe sam can..........:shrug:

aussy89
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:43 PM
im a mad fan of stosurs as u all know, but the truth is ill wait till she reaches the top 20 an then make me decision if she really will make the top 10, being at 29 atm is great is awsome really, but she does have everything to be top 20 for sure, but i think, well i know she dosnt mind doing the figuring out on the wta without a team, but once she has that team it wont jus be her doing the thinkin of were she will go but that extra support that will be aroud er for a strong year, will really get her into that top 13-10 place. fingers crossed for a great 2007. an goldy an syd are sme great tourns for extra points. =)

Darop.
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Sorry, absolutely not.

Tenis Srbija
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Look at the players from 10th to 15th place... Stosur is not even close to them!!!
Top ten - no freakin way :lol: :lol:

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:57 PM
No way unless she's gonna murder about twenty girls in current Top-30.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Look at the players from 10th to 15th place... Stosur is not even close to them!!!
Top ten - no freakin way :lol: :lol:

Umm hello who beat Ivanovic, Davenport and Chakvetadze!!!:fiery:

Darop.
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:02 PM

wtf? 3 single good wins don't make a player worthy of the top 10.

She also lost to Kloesel, Voskoboeva, Harkleroad, Gajdosova.

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Top 10 i reckon is way out of her reach in 2007 but until she actually reaches the Top 20 or well inside it then decisions can be made.

it's great that everyone has their own opinions bout sam reaching the top 10, good or bad.

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:06 PM

yeah that's great & all & that's what played a part for her to finish this year at her career high of no.29 in the world. but if she wants to reach top 10 or even higher then she needs to produce wins like that consistently at every single tournament she plays.

that's just my honest opinion, plus she shouldn't lose easily & that much to lowly ranked players like kloesel etc as someone described earlier.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:09 PM
yeah that's great & all & that's what played a part for her to finish this year at her career high of no.29 in the world. but if she wants to reach top 10 or even higher then she needs to produce wins like that consistently at every single tournament she plays.

that's just my honest opinion, plus she shouldn't lose easily & that much to lowly ranked players like kloesel etc as someone described earlier.

:bounce: Yer i agree she cant make it in 2007 but she should get top 20!:bounce:

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:17 PM
:bounce: Yer i agree she cant make it in 2007 but she should get top 20!:bounce:

top 20 should her goal, but she shouldn't put too much pressure on herself.

LudwigDvorak
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Well, I'm watching her match against Mauresmo. Her volleys are mediocre, her groundstrokes could definitely have some more punch, the return of serve is erratic, and her anticipation is very poor. All that said, I see glimpses of great stuff every few points. She has potential to do better.

Stosur does indeed have a good serve, but most people have been right, her game isn't built enough around it. I voted no, but with work, yes, she'll have the game.

goldenlox
Dec 27th, 2006, 01:48 AM
She already has a bigtime doubles career going on.

blumaroo
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:00 AM
No.
If she developed all her weapons to the maximum, she would be a solid top 20player. Top 10 is way too crowded.

selyoink
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:17 AM
No, I think top 20 is within reach but not top 10.

LucasArg
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:26 AM
No way Jose.

Alicia Rocks
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:47 AM
This year will be telling. Aussies of late have been late bloomers so who knows!

The Kaz
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:55 AM
I think she can...if she works hard and make sacrifices...not for a few years i think

Derek.
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:25 AM
I doubt it.

She'd need to find consistency and raise her game a level or two.

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Am I the only Aussie poster voted no? :lol:

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:24 AM
This year will be telling. Aussies of late have been late bloomers so who knows!
True about most of our players in the past are late bloomers! :lol:

Alicia Rocks
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM
When Alicia was the same age as Sam. If this thread popped up about her most people would have no as Well but they are different players soo.. ;) Time will tell I guess ;)

Ben.
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM
i would laugh if several ppl who said No r proven wrong :lol: