PDA

View Full Version : Your forehand?

Derek.
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Is it open stance or closed stance?

I have an open stance forehand.

Lefty.
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Open stance. It's my generally stronger shot. I love short angle forehands.

Cat's Pajamas
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Mine is between, but more towards open stance. It's definetely my stronger shot, I kind of hit it like Patty Schnyder :tape: I can hit a lot of power, angle, and spin on it.

Vincey!
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:30 AM
I use both, but my open stance is more powerful and more effective than the closed stance.

AJZ.
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:32 AM
I'm not exactly sure what the difference is - I know the technical terms in French :lol:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:36 AM
I use an open stance but my backhand is my stronger shot

Derek.
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:41 AM
I'm not exactly sure what the difference is - I know the technical terms in French :lol:

Open: your butt is parallel with the baseline

Closed: your butt is paraellel with the sidelines.

:p

Benchwarmer1
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:54 AM
semi-open if you know what i'm saying:tape: , although my backhand is a hell of a lot more consistent

AJZ.
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:55 AM
That's what I thought, thanks Derek. Hot avatar :drool:

I'm closed stanced always. I can hit through better!

Lefty.
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Open: your butt is parallel with the baseline

Closed: your butt is paraellel with the sidelines.

:p

But your butt can never be parallel, it's curved. :p

SzavayFi
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:57 AM
I hit open. Its really the only way to have a successful forehand these days.

ozfan44
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Open for sure!

My Forehand is the strength of my game and where i hit 90% of my winners!

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:20 AM
I have a square stance forehand. Forehand is my strength & that's where I usually hit the more winners from, but my backhand too is a solid shot as well as the forehand.

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:21 AM
But i might switch to open stance on my backhand & forehand now ;)

thomas.chung
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Time (and somewhat related footwork) determines my stance, the more time I have, the more close my stance is. But the most open stance I do regularly is a semi-open stance (feet open-stanced, but upper body coiled), similar to Kim Clijster's. When I hit open, usually it is pretty defensive.

klok
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:51 AM
I hit my forehand with an open stance.

komorli
Dec 26th, 2006, 07:09 AM
semi-open stance. ;)

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 26th, 2006, 07:10 AM
i am pretty in between with this if im moving its closed stance if i dont have to move my stance is open both work for me

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 07:21 AM
come to think of it i'm pretty much in between a square stance & an open stance whenever i play a forehand. i suppose that's what helps me produce great shots on my forehand.

Craigy
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Hmmm... I tend to hit my forhand more closed-stance but there are times when I just can't be bothered with my footwork and hit it open-stanced :lol:

-sugi-
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I use and feel more comfortable with open stance, but my coach hates it and when he is around I play with closed stance, which I really don't feel too comfortable with :lol:

Viktymise
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Mostly Open Stance but when i have alot of time i can switch to a more closed stance, but open stance is alot more effective and powerful

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:52 AM
but open stance is alot more effective and powerful

true.

papru
Dec 26th, 2006, 01:17 PM
try to play open.

LDF
Dec 26th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Semi-open stance :)

AJZ.
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:52 PM
How is open stance more powerful? You can put your entire body into a closed stance shot, no?

Maryamator
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:00 PM
it really depends on the shot but i play the close stanced more than the open stanced lol.. yes and my coach does like me playing with the openn stance..

The Guilty
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM
How is open stance more powerful? You can put your entire body into a closed stance shot, no?

Exactly. Just like Mary does on a short ball :drool:

Fire_Fox
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Closed! But the most powerful is backhand.
& my game bases on pressing.

matthieu_tennis
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:22 PM
i hit my forehand open stance 8 )

ayusania
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:28 PM
both of them work 4 me but my closed stance is better...... my backhand is much better than my forehand

SelesFan70
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I have a 2-handed forehand, so however I get there is how I hit it. :lol: Usually off the back foot and slumped over. :tape: Very much like this picture of Monica:

http://photos.empics.com/raid/vol2/block64/315160.jpg

:help:

Wiggly
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Semi-open.

But I don't care about the position. As long as it's powerful, I don't care:)
I always "jump".

jazar
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:14 PM
technically and biomechanically the best way to hit it is with an open stance. i hit mine with an open stance, unless i'm running for it and i over step, or if i'm going for a wicked angle

Tennis-Chick
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Usually closed. I always jump too! My dad keeps telling me to try and keep one foot on the ground (at least) when I hit it, but I feel more comfortable when I jump.

Lulu.
Dec 27th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Closed Stance

!<blocparty>!
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:17 AM
I'm surprised at how many people are voting open stance? :confused: I just got up and did some airshots to see how I normally hit mine. :tape:

When I'm returning I hit open stanced shots off both wings, but during a rally I'll use closed stance most of the time - it gets you in a better position to hit the ball.

Wiggly
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:28 AM
I'm surprised at how many people are voting open stance? :confused: I just got up and did some airshots to see how I normally hit mine. :tape:

When I'm returning I hit open stanced shots off both wings, but during a rally I'll use closed stance most of the time - it gets you in a better position to hit the ball.

Me to:lol: :tape:

Gooner
Dec 27th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Open stance

new-york
Dec 27th, 2006, 03:32 AM

ditts.

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:50 AM
I do both, if i have lots of time to settle, ill probably hit closed stance, but the rest is probably open stance.

thomas.chung
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:13 AM
it is fine to jump off the ground, but in doing so, you run into problem with balance which is the key to many great shots. And we always hear the pros talk about great balance on winners. If you look at the pros play, they generally hit their shots rather balanced (keeping both feets relatively firm on the ground), it is evident in some of the more technically sound players out there, take Hingis, Dementieva (which IMO has the most well drilled groundstroke), Ivanovic, Serena, just to name a few. Very rarely do they really leap off the ground when they are hitting. More specifically, take Hingis, her BH down the line is superb, if you look at her BH d.t.l, even on her wrong footing BH d.t.l, she keeps both foot on the ground, giving her support, this is why the BH d.t.l is her bread and butter shot.

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:55 PM
it is fine to jump off the ground, but in doing so, you run into problem with balance which is the key to many great shots. And we always hear the pros talk about great balance on winners. If you look at the pros play, they generally hit their shots rather balanced (keeping both feets relatively firm on the ground), it is evident in some of the more technically sound players out there, take Hingis, Dementieva (which IMO has the most well drilled groundstroke), Ivanovic, Serena, just to name a few. Very rarely do they really leap off the ground when they are hitting. More specifically, take Hingis, her BH down the line is superb, if you look at her BH d.t.l, even on her wrong footing BH d.t.l, she keeps both foot on the ground, giving her support, this is why the BH d.t.l is her bread and butter shot.

of course players never jump while hitting backhands (except for a few exceptions, mostly on the mens side), you dont have to look at hingis to see that. but off the forehand, all players actually do jump a little while hitting it, sometimes, ezpecially when they wanna hit really hard.

LH2HBH
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:01 AM
You need to be able to do either depending on the situation called for.

Europe rocks
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Open normally, but my backhand is much better. Sometimes my forehand becomes really loopy, other times it just skims across the net

Craigy
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:20 AM

Me too. Well unless its a really slow 2nd serve then I hit closed stance, both sides.

iPatty
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:31 AM
I can do both. I use open when I'm on defense. But on normal rally balls/put aways, I use closed.

It's best, IMO, to be able to do both.

Stroba
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:03 AM
How exactly is this defined? At the time you make contact with the ball? I mean as I prepare to hit a forhand both my legs and body are more parallell with the sidelines. As I hit through, Id say at time of contact Im somewhere in between and during the followthrough my legs and body are mostly parallell with the baseline.

So from preparing to hit a forhand til the end of the followthrough, Ill roll around about 90-120degrees. When hitting my backhand Ill roll around a little less.

So what am I exactly? Both?

Mina Vagante
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:48 AM
both but mostly closed

Dominic
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:42 PM
How exactly is this defined? At the time you make contact with the ball? I mean as I prepare to hit a forhand both my legs and body are more parallell with the sidelines. As I hit through, Id say at time of contact Im somewhere in between and during the followthrough my legs and body are mostly parallell with the baseline.

So from preparing to hit a forhand til the end of the followthrough, Ill roll around about 90-120degrees. When hitting my backhand Ill roll around a little less.

So what am I exactly? Both?

lol you have to check right before you had. But if your feet change position while youre hitting, it means you use closed.