PDA

View Full Version : Justine named Sportswoman 2006 by Spanish Press EFE

Greenout
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:02 AM
That's pretty cool. :) Oh.. Roger won too.
http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_master/versie2/sporza/nnII_sporza_start/index.shtml?fw=http://www.vrtnieuws.net/sport_master/tennis/hoofdpunten/tennis_nieuwsoverzicht/index.html

Female
01. Justine HENIN-HARDENNE (tennis) - 28 punten
02. Jelena Isinbajeva (Rus/atletiek) - 20
03. Laure Manaudou (Fra/zwemmen) - 17
04. Nicole Cooke (GBr/wielrennen) - 7
05. Amélie Mauresmo (Fra/tennis) - 6
05. Sanya Richards (VS/atletiek) - 6
07. Lorena Ochoa (Mex/golf) - 5
08. Maria Sjarapova (Rus/tennis) - 1
08. Gema Mengual (Spa/synchroon zwemmen) - 1
08. Maria José Rienda (Spa/skiën) - 1
08. Carolina Kluft (Zwe/atletiek) - 1

Male
1. Roger Federer (Zwi/tennis) - 31 punten
02. Fernando Alonso (Spa/Formule 1) - 16
03. Italië (voetbal) - 9
03. Ronaldinho (Bra/voetbal) - 9
05. Asafa Powell (Jam/atletiek) - 8
06. Rafael Nadal (Spa/tennis) - 7
07. Spanje (basketbal) - 4
08. Pau Gasol (Spa/basketbal) - 3
08. Sébastien Loeb (Fra/rally) - 3
10. Alvaro Bautista (Spa/motorsport) - 2

Lefty.
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Made another list Juju! :yeah:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:10 AM
yeay-theres a brit on the list cooke :worship:

.Andrew.
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Not a surprise. Of course Justine won, she also beat Mauresmo ;)

MH_3571
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:28 AM
great Justine :worship: :bounce: :)

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:52 AM
congrats justine :clap2: :yeah: & congrats to roger :clap2: :yeah:

tennis is topping some of the awards lately :)

MikeJones
Dec 26th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I dont get HOW the HECK they can stick Ochoa at #8. She had a tremendous season on the LPGA tour, better than Annika.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Made another list Juju! :yeah:

Of course she did. Justine is the boss!

felipe2004
Dec 26th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Congratulations to Justine! :D Nice to see tennis doing well also! ;)

saima
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Allez Justine :bounce:

Maryamator
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:02 PM
rafa:worship:

Niunia
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Justine:yeah: congrats!:)

iamhe
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Congrats justine & roger

Nice to see tennis at the top

goldenlox
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:38 PM
In the US, they would never give it to a tennis player.
I wonder if Justine will win an ESPY?

Wayn77
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Congrats Justine.

As hard as they try they just cannot market Federer en-masse to the Americans. The US public like the sporting heroes (specially overseas ones) to get down and get dirty just occasionally when winning title after title. Roger just seems to always win everything soo damn easily.

LudwigDvorak
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I like how everyone forgets her meltdowns in the finals of three Grand Slams. Yep, you deserved it Justine.

(Of course I'm glad she did well this year, but her sportsmanship has always been questionable, since 2003 at least, and I dunno, I just don't see how someone who doesn't have a lot gets sportswoman of the year when many people outside of just me by far feel Mauresmo accomplished much more.)

ayusania
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:33 PM
it ws obvious that justine will be awarded after 2006 coz of her brilliant performance throughout the year! congratz to her,n to amilie n maria too!

thrust
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Viva Espana! Viva Justine and Roger!!

The Crow
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I like how everyone forgets her meltdowns in the finals of three Grand Slams. Yep, you deserved it Justine.

(Of course I'm glad she did well this year, but her sportsmanship has always been questionable, since 2003 at least, and I dunno, I just don't see how someone who doesn't have a lot gets sportswoman of the year when many people outside of just me by far feel Mauresmo accomplished much more.)

Maybe I could have believed your crap that you actually think Mauresmo accomplished more if it weren't for the "...but her sportsmanship ..." bit :rolleyes:

LudwigDvorak
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:44 PM
What Justine did against Serena in the French semifinal and against Mauresmo in the Australian final should not be forgotten nor should it be appreciated in either situation. That is poor sportsmanship. And I dunno about you, but I'd rather have two Slams than one, but that could just be me.

Justine might have had more titles and was overall more consistent, but people care about the Slams. Amelie won the most this year and finally overcame her nerves and defeated Justine twice in them. If someone thinks Justine did better, of course that's fine and dandy, but I just don't understand how she's the sportswoman of the year; after she retired from the Australian final, everyone hated her, but it seems retiring from one of the most prestigious finals you could be in isn't so bad anymore.

faste5683
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM
but I just don't understand how she's the sportswoman of the year; after she retired from the Australian final, everyone hated her, but it seems retiring from one of the most prestigious finals you could be in isn't so bad anymore.

Not to the Spanish press, apparently. I guess they must have applied Occam's Razor to her Australian withdrawl - in other words, they figured Justine was too ill to continue.

Congrats Justine.

:wavey:

LudwigDvorak
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I don't dislike Justine. She's a very good player. But that just left a sour taste in my mouth is all. I'm glad for her as well, just thought it was an odd choice.

faste5683
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I don't dislike Justine. She's a very good player. But that just left a sour taste in my mouth is all. I'm glad for her as well, just thought it was an odd choice.

I've got no problems with that ;)

Greenout
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Justine came along side Jelena Isinbajeva and Laure Manaudou in the poll among European press agencies too. So, I don't think this is too odd or a fluke - this seems to be how they see things for 2006. Look over here in this thread.
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=278138

faste5683
Dec 27th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Justine came along side Jelena Isinbajeva and Laure Manaudou in the poll among European press agencies too. So, I don't think this is too odd or a fluke - this seems to be how they see things for 2006. Look over here in this thread.
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=278138

Oh, I agree with you :lol: , but the poster certainly has the right to express his opinion and, like I said, I have no problems with that...

Mileen
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Congrats Justine! You've won so many awards this year, and special ones too!

:kiss: :smooch: