PDA

View Full Version : V&S On Monday Night Football (USA)!

lizchris
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:27 AM
I am watching Monday Ninght Football on EPSN and Suzy Kolber interviewed Venus and Serena. She was asking questions about the game and who they were rooting for (Miami Dolphins, since they live near Miami), but Suzy said something interesting; she said she hopes to see them back on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour when the tour comes to Keyn Biscayne:confused: . I am wondering now if that means that the sisters are not planning on playing agian until March?

goldenlox
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:30 AM
I saw it too.

tenn_ace
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Venus is cool. :kiss:

Serena, even in that red dress, looks overweight. :o

goldenlox
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:31 AM
A lot of times, ESPN lets people up in the booth. That was very quick on the sidelines.

goldenlox
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:37 AM
They have Steve Young up in the booth as a guest.

tennisjunky
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:38 AM
saw them too. they were talking about being competitive and fighting to win. they both looked great.

cartmancop
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:41 AM
I think the comment about see them in March is either based on the fact that Kolber isn't a regular tennis tour reporter and that they were in miami @ the time. Also, is she based in Miami?, I think she graduated from university of miami, maybe that was it...

tenn_ace
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:43 AM
she said she hopes to see them back on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour when the tour comes to Keyn Biscayne

that's not the way she said.

this is what she said (word for word): Ladies, I know the South Florida fans will look forward to see you at Sony Erricsson here at Key Biscane. Thank you.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Miami 0
NY Jets 0

goldenlox
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Yeah, Jets need the game. Steve Young is getting a lot of time.

tenn_ace
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:00 AM
btw, just wondering whether their appearance is a part of PR campaign to control damage resulted from the lost lawsuit... :scratch:

goldenlox
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:02 AM
What was it? 20 seconds? Not much of a PR campaign.

tennisbuddy12
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:03 AM
serena will play before miami.....venus will return to antwerp IMO.....

goldenlox
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Jimmy Kimmel is coming up. He's funny.

tenn_ace
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:08 AM
What was it? 20 seconds? Not much of a PR campaign.

what did you expect? a statement from the Oval Office? :p

.Andrew.
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:25 AM
So Venus, is not playing the Australian Open? :scared: Please... Play....

goldenlox
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:26 AM
That interview was so quick, I don't know what they said.

tenn_ace
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:29 AM
So Venus, is not playing the Australian Open? :scared: Please... Play....

Where has this come from? First post? Read further, I have posted what exactly was said.

drake3781
Dec 26th, 2006, 04:26 AM
btw, just wondering whether their appearance is a part of PR campaign to control damage resulted from the lost lawsuit... :scratch:

Or the dog incident :p .

trivfun
Dec 26th, 2006, 07:31 AM
They have Steve Young up in the booth as a guest.

I was very interested in that quote by Thomas Edison. I wonder what was his reasoning in suing Granville T. Woods so many times to get his patent for the railroad telegraph when Granville was the inventor. The court ruled in favor of Mr. Woods. But Edison kept suing till Granville died in poverty.

Cat's Pajamas
Dec 26th, 2006, 07:33 AM
are there any pictures?

dreamgoddess099
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:01 AM
btw, just wondering whether their appearance is a part of PR campaign to control damage resulted from the lost lawsuit :scratch:
LOL @ a football game being "damage control." :lol:
How do you lose a lawsuit when you didn't have to pay any money to the people suing you? :scratch:

drake3781
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM
LOL @ a football game being "damage control." :lol:
How do you lose a lawsuit when you didn't have to pay any money to the people suing you? :scratch:

I don't necessarily think in this case it was a publicity appearance, although I do believe sometimes those things are arranged by agents when good publicity seems to be needed. (Not in particular about the WS, but didn't we see it for Maria and Tati after the ankle incident?) After all, that is part of the job of the agent.

Regarding the lawsuit, you do understand that they did lose the suit, right? Richard Williams was found to have breached the contract and committed fraud.

Don't confuse the fact that no damages were awarded with winning the lawsuit. No damages were awarded because the plaintiffs could not prove they had recompensible expenses caused by the breach and the fraud.

That is why I was so puzzled about the celebrations everyone in WTAWorld seemed to be having over the jury's decision. It seems that to most people here, and including the Williams family from what I read about their reactions, money is more valuable than a repuation? I find that an interesting comment on current popular values.

In fact I wondered about how Richard must have felt, that his family was celebrating getting to keep money, but not consoling him for the findings against him. If that were me I would be pretty devastated about it. (Maybe they did it in private, thinking they had to make a show in public of seeming like it was a "win".) I guess I would be so hurt that my family cared more about money than about me, after all I had done for them. And you can't change that.... if those are your childrens' values, they cannot be changed at such a late age. Or maybe he shares those values and there is no problem.

:shrug:

Marcell
Dec 26th, 2006, 01:13 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20061226/i/r332153837.jpg

new-york
Dec 26th, 2006, 01:24 PM

:hearts::hearts::hearts:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:32 PM
:eek::worship: VENUS! YOU GODDESS! :worship::bowdown:http://yelims1.free.fr/Amour/Amour46.gif

Vacant
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:34 PM

:hearts:

Viktymise
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Vee looks great and at least her wrist isint in any kind of strapping :D

tenn_ace
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I don't necessarily think in this case it was a publicity appearance, although I do believe sometimes those things are arranged by agents when good publicity seems to be needed. (Not in particular about the WS, but didn't we see it for Maria and Tati after the ankle incident?) After all, that is part of the job of the agent.

That's exactly how the industry works so that's why I mentioned PR damage control.

Paneru
Dec 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM

:drool: :hearts: :drool: :hearts: :drool: :hearts:

Vlover
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:07 PM
OMG Vee is looking fantastic !!::kiss: I love her hair in its natural state! She should wear it like that for next season :hearts: :hearts:

BTW it would appear that a lot of people still can't get over the verdict.:lol: I had no idea that so many people were so emotionally vested in this case. Obviously Vee and Ree are so over it now and back to enjoying themselves leaving all the detractors to analyze their every move.:lol:

Let them continue to "spin" away because I find it rather entertaining. "Reputation" my ass :haha: Yeah, I'm sure the plaintiff are quite happy with proving that Richard has a bad reputation.;)

StarDuvallGrant
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:22 PM
OMG Vee is looking fantastic !!::kiss: I love her hair in its natural state! She should wear it like that for next season :hearts: :hearts:

BTW it would appear that a lot of people still can't get over the verdict.:lol: I had no idea that so many people were so emotionally vested in this case. Obviously Vee and Ree are so over it now and back to enjoying themselves leaving all the detractors to analyze their every move.:lol:

Let them continue to "spin" away because I find it rather entertaining. "Reputation" my ass :haha: Yeah, I'm sure the plaintiff are quite happy with proving that Richard has a bad reputation.;)

I know right :lol:

dreamgoddess099
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Again, how are Venus and Serena (who's dated many a footballer and rumored to be dating one now) being at a football game a PR move? Don't you think given their history of appearances at events, a PR move would be something different like having a bunch of pictures taken of them training and practicing their asses off?

Regarding the lawsuit, you do understand that they did lose the suit, right? That's a matter of opinion. Kinda defeats the purpose of the lawsuit when the plaintiff is not awarded any damages. It's hard to say they won when they didn't accomplish their goal of receiving money. I mean money was their reason for filing the lawsuit right?

Richard Williams was found to have breached the contract and committed fraud. And the jury decided his breach and fraud wasn't worth rewarding the plaintiffs one red cent. And they also found that CCKR breached the contract when they didn't pay Richard the $500,000 dollars.

Don't confuse the fact that no damages were awarded with winning the lawsuit. They didn't lose any money, so what did they lose? What did the plaintiffs win?

No damages were awarded because the plaintiffs could not prove they had recompensible expenses caused by the breach and the fraud.
Doesn't their failure to prove just that mean they lost?

That is why I was so puzzled about the celebrations everyone in WTAWorld seemed to be having over the jury's decision. It seems that to most people here, and including the Williams family from what I read about their reactions, money is more valuable than a repuation? I find that an interesting comment on current popular values. Boy, you sure are reaching to put a negative spin on the verdict. I don't see how you gather someone being happy that they don't have to pay millions of their hard earned dollars to a bunch of penniless opportunity seekers as valuing money more than reputation. It's more interesting to me that you question the Williamses values, but not the people suing them when they didn't spend a dime of their own money but had the nerve to try and get millions from the Williamses.

In fact I wondered about how Richard must have felt, that his family was celebrating getting to keep money, but not consoling him for the findings against him. If that were me I would be pretty devastated about it. (Maybe they did it in private, thinking they had to make a show in public of seeming like it was a "win".) I guess I would be so hurt that my family cared more about money than about me, after all I had done for them. And you can't change that.... if those are your childrens' values, they cannot be changed at such a late age. Or maybe he shares those values and there is no problem.

:shrug:

Ok, it's official, you're on that shit. You do know Richard wasn't in court for the verdict, so how were they supposed to console him? Futhermore, the day you see Venus and Serena bad mouth or disown their father, that's the day you can say they care more about money or their careers than him. But as for now, he is still their coach and will still be sitting in their box at tons of their matches. As this whole ordeal proves, their loyalty to him is unwavering.

LadyLil
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Vee looks simply fabulous. Glad to see the brace(s) are gone

Infiniti2001
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Again, how are Venus and Serena (who's dated many a footballer and rumored to be dating one now) being at a football game a PR move? Don't you think given their history of appearances at events, a PR move would be something different like having a bunch of pictures taken of them training and practicing their asses off?

That's a matter of opinion. Kinda defeats the purpose of the lawsuit when the plaintiff is not awarded any damages. It's hard to say they won when they didn't accomplish their goal of receiving money. I mean money was their reason for filing the lawsuit right?

And the jury decided his breach and fraud wasn't worth rewarding the plaintiffs one red cent. And they also found that CCKR breached the contract when they didn't pay Richard the $500,000 dollars.

They didn't lose any money, so what did they lose? What did the plaintiffs win?

Boy, you sure are reaching to put a negative spin on the verdict. I don't see how you gather someone being happy that they don't have to pay millions of their hard earned dollars to a bunch of penniless opportunity seekers as valuing money more than reputation. It's more interesting to me that you question the Williamses values, but not the people suing them when they didn't spend a dime of their own money but had the nerve to try and get millions from the Williamses.

Ok, it's official, you're on that shit. You do know Richard wasn't in court for the verdict, so how were they supposed to console him? Futhermore, the day you see Venus and Serena bad mouth or disown their father, that's the day you can say they care more about money or their careers than him. But as for now, he is still their coach and will still be sitting in their box at tons of their matches. As this whole ordeal proves, their loyalty to him is unwavering.

:notworthy: :notworthy:

Dawn Marie
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Venus looks great in this picture. I'm glad to see them talk about tennis. Also it's great that the case is over and done with. Now they can move forward with their tennis.

Team Williams 6

Team money wanters 0

Game Set and Match.

drake3781
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:20 PM

That's a matter of opinion. Kinda defeats the purpose of the lawsuit when the plaintiff is not awarded any damages. It's hard to say they won when they didn't accomplish their goal of receiving money. I mean money was their reason for filing the lawsuit right?

And the jury decided his breach and fraud wasn't worth rewarding the plaintiffs one red cent. And they also found that CCKR breached the contract when they didn't pay Richard the $500,000 dollars.

They didn't lose any money, so what did they lose? What did the plaintiffs win?

Boy, you sure are reaching to put a negative spin on the verdict. I don't see how you gather someone being happy that they don't have to pay millions of their hard earned dollars to a bunch of penniless opportunity seekers as valuing money more than reputation. It's more interesting to me that you question the Williamses values, but not the people suing them when they didn't spend a dime of their own money but had the nerve to try and get millions from the Williamses.

Like I said originally, I don't think it was a PR move.

As for interpretation of the case outcome, I think what we have is a difference between the understanding of hard-core Williams' fans, and the understanding of those with a legal education/background. I have attempted to explain the outcome from a legal perspective, but it doesn't make any difference to someone who would first and foremost support of his/her idols. I understand that, and it is what I expect from users of a sports message board. Surely on a legal message board geared to those in or with an interest the legal fields - if there were such a thing - the opinions would be more in line with what I described and there would be a rational discussion of it. I consider myself reminded of the limitations here, although I do love this board for many other reasons. :D

Diesel
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:32 PM

As for interpretation of the case outcome, I think what we have is a difference between the understanding of hard-core Williams' fans, and the understanding of those with a legal education/background. I have attempted to explain the outcome from a legal perspective, but it doesn't make any difference to someone who would first and foremost support of his/her idols. I understand that, and it is what I expect from users of a sports message board. Surely on a legal message board geared to those in or with an interest the legal fields - if there were such a thing - the opinions would be more in line with what I described and there would be a rational discussion of it. I consider myself reminded of the limitations here, although I do love this board for many other reasons. :D

Please remind yourself of your own limitations as a person when a patronizing attitude symbolizes your attempt at making a point :D

Couver
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Diesel already said it best. But your own opinion is equally clouded by your dislike of the Williams sisters. Maybe if you at least acknowledged that, you could try for some credibility?

drake3781
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Diesel already said it best. But your own opinion is equally clouded by your dislike of the Williams sisters. Maybe if you at least acknowledged that, you could try for some credibility?

Diesel is and has been on ignore due to his/her past rudeness.

Here is the thing: I actually do like the WS, but I don't fit in with their fans on this board. The standard here to be a fan of anyone is to support anything and everything, regardless of reason, and to bash those who point out alternate viewpoints.

I'm not like that with my support of any player; in fact someone posted a thread recently about listing the "best fans" of various players with the criteria being that these fans support their players "no matter what", and I was like :confused: . I'm just not that kind of person, no matter what the topic is.

In fact, I think "fans" have more credibility when debating topics about those that they support, when they acknowledge some areas where the athletes are in need of improvement or where criticisms are justified. But again, that's just me and I realize others believe you have to fight every statement or idea that could possibily be construed as negative; these are really different ways of relating to the world and all I can do is point them out. Since this will not change, I accept it and either/or strive to accept the reactions that come from the fans who accept no criticisms, or - more and more - simply avoid the fray.

I was earlier just trying to point out some facts to someone who seemed to have missed or misinterpreted them, then when I realized it wasn't a matter of not understanding the facts but a determination to see the outcome in a specific way, I stated that I realize that a certain type of fan vs. someone more attuned to the legal questions will see the world differently.

The interpretation of the outcome of the trial will always be a matter of perspective. As an exercise,

If you would imagine a conference room filled with let's say, 3 generic sports fans, 3 WTAWorld members who follow in the S/V forums, 3 people who work in the tennis industry, 3 sports writers, 3 members of the Williams family/friends.

Then imagine a conferece room filled with 3 retired judges, 3 law students, 3 people who have been plaintiffs in a civil proceeding, 3 contracts attorneys, and 3 journalists who specialize on legal matters.

And you are invisible and able to observe a 60-minute discussion of the case in each of the two conference rooms. Then you will write a summary of the discussion held in each, and describe the differences, and what you see as the reasons for the differences. I believe you will get a very different conversation, the differences probably best described as fan perspective vs. legal perspective. It's a matter of taking yourself out of the study field as a subjective ear/voice and instead becoming an objective recorder/analyzer/reporter.

Perhaps the simple statement of a diplomatic writer would be, "Civil trials have two phases: finding of liabilty, and if a finding is made for the plaintiff, determination of damages. While Richard Williams was found legally liable for breach of contract and fraud, the jury did not award monetary damages to the plaintiff. Many interested followers look beyone the finding of liabilty and consider the award of no damages as a win for the Williams family."

===========

Brooklyn90
Dec 27th, 2006, 12:04 AM
^^^:rolleyes:

i missed it :sad:

Vlover
Dec 27th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Many interested followers look beyone the finding of liabilty and consider the award of no damages as a win for the Williams family."
===========

First you need to get over yourself:rolleyes: The fan credibilty issue is mutual as many consider the source also when making a determination about an issue.;)

Yes, Williams fans are quite happy with the $0 award so what? It doesn't take a law degree to understand that.:rolleyes: You and and "friends" can relitigate the case and come to your own satisfactory conlcusions. Have fun!:wavey:

vettipooh
Dec 27th, 2006, 12:37 AM

You can take that bullshit some place else.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Brooklyn90
Dec 27th, 2006, 12:43 AM
First you need to get over yourself:rolleyes: The fan credibilty issue is mutual as many consider the source also when making a determination about an issue.;)

Yes, Williams fans are quite happy with the $0 award so what? It doesn't take a law degree to understand that.:rolleyes: You and and "friends" can relitigate the case and come to your own satisfactory conlcusions. Have fun!:wavey:
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Infiniti2001
Dec 27th, 2006, 01:18 AM

someone needs to get over him/herself already :help:

Stamp Paid
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Vee looks simply fabulous. Glad to see the brace(s) are gone

I agree on both counts. :hearts::D

mykarma
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:18 AM
^^^:rolleyes:

i missed it :sad:
I'm sorry. They looked so cute.

mykarma
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:20 AM
You can take that bullshit some place else.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:lol::lol::lol:

Brooklyn90
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:21 AM
I'm sorry. They looked so cute.

did Serena look in shape?

mykarma
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:23 AM
did Serena look in shape?
I really couldn't tell as they didn't do a full body shot. You know that pissed me off because I really wanted to see what shape she was in. :fiery:

Brooklyn90
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:24 AM
I really couldn't tell as they didn't do a full body shot. You know that pissed me off because I really wanted to see what shape she was in. :fiery:

i guess will have to wait till Hobart :(