PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Forehand

tennisrocks123
Dec 25th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Who has the best forehand?
When it's on, it's Serena. But for now, I think it's Ivanovic.

Havok
Dec 25th, 2006, 11:34 PM
You left out the second best forehand of all time, Pierce. GRaf has the best forehand tennis has seen period, closely followed by the power packed forehand of Mary Pierce. There's some good ones up there as well, but nobody comes close to Ma'am;). Golovin should also be up there, over Vaidosova for sure, and we all know how AWESOME Kim's forehand is when it matters the most :o.

Nicolás89
Dec 25th, 2006, 11:40 PM
sania:tape: second hantuchova:help:

kim has the biggest strongest and effective forehand right now almost every winner from her is for her forehand, is a heavy shot, quick, accurate and always dangerous, second kuznetsova very strong but erratic, third vaidisova with so much pace is just to quick to return. serenas forehand isnt such a weapon as in 2002:sad: :)

venus should be replace by pierce:wavey:

Farina Elia Fan
Dec 25th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I watched Kim practise in Toronto the year she won it and the US Open and I have NEVER seen anyone hit a forehand like her - it was out of this world! :worship:

No Name Face
Dec 26th, 2006, 12:06 AM
1. elena dementieva (even kim said lenaD hits the hardest when she's on), serena williams (it's just amazing and her ROS with it is just incredible)
2. mary pierce (honestly when she and elena played in the uso sf '05, after the first set, mary's forehand made elena's look almost ordinary --- it was crazy)

i wound up voting for elena cuz she's my favorite so...

Derek.
Dec 26th, 2006, 12:31 AM
You left out the second best forehand of all time, Pierce. GRaf has the best forehand tennis has seen period, closely followed by the power packed forehand of Mary Pierce. There's some good ones up there as well, but nobody comes close to Ma'am;). Golovin should also be up there, over Vaidosova for sure, and we all know how AWESOME Kim's forehand is when it matters the most :o.

Uhhh... don't get why you think Golovin's forehand should be on her over Nicole's. :tape:

It's not as good nor as a big.

Hingiswinsthis
Dec 26th, 2006, 12:42 AM
1. Serena. No question. Most of those girls in that list take time and preparation to set up and hit their monster forehand. With Serena, she goes at those forehands even on first serve returns!

2. Clijsters. I know it was only for fun, but that last forehand she hit against Serena at the 2005 USO Arthur Ashe Kid's day was lethal. That must've felt good hitting that.

3. Karolina Sprem. Again, mindless ball bashing tennis, but produces insane power on the forehand.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 26th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I watched Kim practise in Toronto the year she won it and the US Open and I have NEVER seen anyone hit a forehand like her - it was out of this world! :worship:

Kim's forehand good. But, it's one of the uglist shots I have ever seen.

Forehands tend to be way more erratic than backhands, so it's really difficult to pick from that list. :shrug: I think Nicole's forehand could become one of the best shots in tennis over the next couple of years - it's already a pretty big weapon... same for Ana's. ATM they're both too inconsistent. For the last 12 months or so, I think Justine's forehand has been up there with the very best on tour.

le bon vivant
Dec 26th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Venus? :tape:

I like Ivanovic's forehand most out of all of these.

Havok
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Uhhh... don't get why you think Golovin's forehand should be on her over Nicole's. :tape:

It's not as good nor as a big.
Golovin's forehand isn't BAM power ala Mary Pierce, but it's incredibly deceptive, much like Hingis' backhand which is one of the best ever. Just now she's really started to pick it up on her forehand side and really made it into a bigger weapon. You already saw it in the semis vs Sharapova at Miami earlier this year, and in any of her matches at Stuttgart where she almost wound up winning the title (I watched her semis vs Schnyder and her forehand was smoking hot).

I haven't watched enough Vaidisova matches to really grasp her game, though. I've heard people say her backhand is better :shrug:, but maybe they're wrong :lol:.

tennisrocks123
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:17 AM
sorry. i did forget Pierce

.Andrew.
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:23 AM
On the list, Serena to me has the best forehand. Then Clijsters and Dementieva... How did Ivanovic get the most votes? :scared:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Biggest Forehand & Best Forehand are 2 different things

Biggest Forehand goes to Sania

Best Forehand goes to Kim Or Maria

.Andrew.
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Biggest Forehand & Best Forehand are 2 different things

Biggest Forehand goes to Sania

Best Forehand goes to Kim Or Maria

Kinda agree about Kim but not Maria :p It's really erratic at times...Very actually.. Her backhand is way more solid I think.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Kinda agree about Kim but not Maria :p It's really erratic at times...Very actually.. Her backhand is way more solid I think.

thats true but when its on its :drool: and i dont see it going off that much really not like other players

.Andrew.
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:34 AM
thats true but when its on its :drool: and i dont see it going off that much really not like other players

Lol yeah when it's on it could be really great!!! :worship:

Derek.
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Golovin's forehand isn't BAM power ala Mary Pierce, but it's incredibly deceptive, much like Hingis' backhand which is one of the best ever. Just now she's really started to pick it up on her forehand side and really made it into a bigger weapon. You already saw it in the semis vs Sharapova at Miami earlier this year, and in any of her matches at Stuttgart where she almost wound up winning the title (I watched her semis vs Schnyder and her forehand was smoking hot).

Yeah, her forehand is good.

I haven't watched enough Vaidisova matches to really grasp her game, though.

Yet you still are making assumptions on how good her forehand is.

I've heard people say her backhand is better :shrug:, but maybe they're wrong :lol:.

It can be more consistent, but her forehand is far better overall.

So Disrespectful
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Kim's can go off.

Maria doesn't always get the best depth.

Henin-Hardenne's is probably the most solid, but I wouldn't say biggest.

It has to be either Ivanovic, Mirza or Pierce.

blumaroo
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Ivanovic in the zone can strike forehands like an atp player. It's such a heavy, deep and clean shot. It can be more consistent though. Though all the forehands mentioned here can be pretty erratic.
I think Justine has the most consistent forehand (in this list) at the moment. But it's by far not the biggest.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Serena :worship::
Mp #2 v. Sharapova 2005 AO :eek:
Sp v. Henin-Hardenne 2003 FO :eek::eek::eek:

and those are just the monsters that I can think about off the top of my head. Although, I do agree that biggest and best are different, I still think that Serena edges out Ana in terms of forehand "bigness," however when it comes to who's is best: Serena for SURE

LudwigDvorak
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I voted for Vaidisova just because I'm watching her French Open match against Mauresmo now, and it is ON. Very powerful stuff. And this is on clay, too.

But yeah, Ivanovic has a good forehand, as do all of the girls listed.

RJWCapriati
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Venus

rocksania
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:41 AM
$ania mirza....

Shonami Slam
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:07 AM
aravane could have been a great baseball player, because her "out"s off the forehand side fly well over home-run lengths.

jazar
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:10 AM
i saw ivanovic at wimbledon this year and last year and her forehand is something to behold. some of the other players in the list have great forehands but have better backhands, like sharapova and vaidisova

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Kim's got a big forehand & can hit winners off it from behind the baseline.

Ivanovic's I like as well too plus you never go past Justine & Serena.

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:14 AM
kim has the biggest strongest and effective forehand right now almost every winner from her is for her forehand, is a heavy shot, quick, accurate and always dangerous

agree :yeah:

Shimizu Amon
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I voted Maria for obvious reasons. Besides that I think Mary Pierce and Kim Clijsters have the best forehand in women tennis.

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I think all of these women included in the poll plus pierce who wasn't included have great forehands in the game no doubt bout that :worship:

Dexter
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Anci. :)

The Dawntreader
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:41 AM
When venus's forehand is on, hugely powerful. Puts away mid-court forehands with such ferocity.

Pierce also has a mega forehand, hit so early, with very little backswing. Awesome shot.

Still i feel Serena has the best forehand, although it can go off occasionally, she can generate so much angle and with that raw power added its just:speakles: :worship:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I def. agree that Pierce, Vee, and Ana have big forehands. I saw Ana in LA and I was :eek: at the power she generates.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:56 AM
But the poll says "best" and it's Serena unquestionably.

The Dawntreader
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:57 AM
But the poll says "best" and it's Serena unquestionably.

Your avatar is amazing!:worship:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:59 AM
I think Pierce, Ivanovic and vaidisova all have great forehand though Vaidisova can make some crazy errors. Over all I think that Pierce has the strongest:bounce:

Moccha
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Ana :D

The Dawntreader
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Just look at Serena's forehand on the first point!:worship:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmWXocZc6nc

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Serena had a LOT of forehands in tha match that were :eek::worship:

Viktymise
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:27 AM
LenaD, im biases but its hit of such a solid base, she can do alot with it, at her best she can take anyone apart with it, her inside out FH or FH CC are definatley the shots the got her to 2 slam finals in 04. Next i would say Nicole. She's got alot of power and accuracy with it, and its just bound to get better in the coming years, she still only 17 :eek:, Serena and Vee's FH's are huge and when they are on, they are deadly but they are prone to breakdown and can produce many errors off them. Clijsters FH can break down in big match situations, its gotten better than in 03 when she used to rush when under pressure and she pulls up on it, but it still happens to her sometimes

Mauresmo Fan
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:35 AM
mary pierce and mirza :)

dawid
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:29 AM
I think Sharapova...

supergrunt
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Serena for sure :D !

thelittlestelf
Dec 26th, 2006, 04:10 PM
BIGGEST forehand? Serena wins hands down no contest. Best forehand? Well, when Serena's playing well hers is probably the best. Consistently Justine's is probably the best, it's much stronger than her backhand IMO.

Capriati, Graf, Davenport, Pierce, and Seles all had/have spectacular forehands as well.

Nicolás89
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Consistently Justine's is probably the best, it's much stronger than her backhand IMO.

yes she is very consistent doing forehand more than her backhand though
but her forehand will never be stronger than her backhand:wavey:

PatrickRyan
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Serena

Cat's Pajamas
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I hate these threads, its always people voting for their fav. instead of who is actually the best :o

That being said, I think Ana has the potential to have the biggest forehand of all time. That shot is unstopable if its on.

Adal
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Best:
Clijsters - forehand is her greatest weapon and she can hit winners from any side of the court.
Sharapova - when she's in good form then she can hit some unbelievable winners from forehand, but it can break down if she's not in good form.
Pierce - strikes the ball so cleanly from the forehand.
Also to mention Vaidisova, Ivanovic, Dementieva.

Fire_Fox
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I voted for Sharapova.
But not bad forehand have also Serena, Davenport, Pierce, Dementieva (when not always in the net).
Very interesting spin forehand has Patty Schnyder.

LUXXXAS
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM
stupid poll... where is Mary?!? Lindsay?!? Monica?!? Jennifer?!?

Viktymise
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:36 PM
If were talking the biggest then its definatley Sprem, have a look at the 1st set of Sprem - Venus Berlin semi 04 :eek: amazing

Havok
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I honestly can't believe how many people are playing up the Williams sisters' forehands, especially Venus' :o.

When it's on, sure both shots are cinredible, but overall? No way in hell do they posess the best ones.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:05 PM
If were talking the biggest then its definatley Sprem, have a look at the 1st set of Sprem - Venus Berlin semi 04 :eek: amazing

Agreed, it really is an insane shot. Mirza's too. But they probably make 30+ UFE's each match with them. :tape:

I'd love to see who voted for Venus.

Viktymise
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Agreed, it really is an insane shot. Mirza's too. But they probably make 30+ UFE's each match with them. :tape:

I'd love to see who voted for Venus.

Yes they keep a very loose arm on the FH so it just fly's off the racquet with them, the thread is a bit ambiguous, i think alot of people have answered who has the best FH, i did at 1st too but the biggest FH is up between Sprem(look at Berlin semi 04, even 3rd Wimbledon against Vaidisova 06) and Mirza(Wimbledon R2 05 against Kuznetsova she hit a few :eek: one's)

tennisrocks123
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I hate these threads, its always people voting for their fav. instead of who is actually the best :o

That being said, I think Ana has the potential to have the biggest forehand of all time. That shot is unstopable if its on.

I agree. I'm a Venus & Serena fan and I love their forehands. But I do think, Ivanovic could have the biggest of all time also.

Viktymise
Dec 26th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I think Vaidisova has a consistently bigger FH than Ivanovic. Ivanovic can come up with a flash of a FH when she's on balance, but when moving its no as devestating. Nicole can hit winners out of nowhere with her FH and can really dominate with it, even against top player like against Mauresmo 4th round of RG

The Dawntreader
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I think Vaidisova has a consistently bigger FH than Ivanovic. Ivanovic can come up with a flash of a FH when she's on balance, but when moving its no as devestating. Nicole can hit winners out of nowhere with her FH and can really dominate with it, even against top player like against Mauresmo 4th round of RG

Yes i agree Vaidisova's is more consistent, but Ivanovic's technique is so much better developed, even at such an early stage in her career. Moves around the ball much better, and just times the ball slightly better. vaidisova has such bizarre technique, too much bend in the arm and the shot is played too close to her body.

ayusania
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:03 PM
i find sania's forehand the best! then is maria and then serena

Carsten
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:08 PM
wow no Mirza in this poll :worship: :yeah:

I think Sharapova or Ivanovic...

Tenis Srbija
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:17 PM
In her's best time, Jelena Dokić had really unreturnable forhand! It was really :eek:

Now i think that Ana Ivanović has smashing FH, but only when she is at her best. All the other days (there are a lot of those :rolleyes: ) she is hitting a net tooooo much!

LINDSAY DAVENPORT :worship:

spencercarlos
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Even more ridiculous the 5 people that voted for her :lol: Delusional

Viktymise
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Venus's FH is big, the poll doesn't say who has he best FH, its the biggest and Vee is up there on that count

Lulu.
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Serena obviously

Darop.
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:15 PM
On the list, Serena to me has the best forehand. Then Clijsters and Dementieva... How did Ivanovic get the most votes? :scared:

:retard: Have you ever seen her play?

Darop.
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Ugh, everyone just voting for their faves. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Dokic and Santangelo have the biggest forehands!!

:weirdo:

PatrickRyan
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:21 PM
i voted serena :) but Ivanovic a close second, and Venus in third

Dexter
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah, Dokic and Santangelo have the biggest forehands!!

:weirdo:and Fran! :D

Carsten
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:26 PM
and Fran! :D

not to forget Tina Pisnik ;)

!<blocparty>!
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM
and Fran! :D

Fran has the best single handed backhand on tour aswell! :D

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Venus's FH is big, the poll doesn't say who has he best FH, its the biggest and Vee is up there on that count
:lol: The thread says biggest, but the poll says best :lol:z

Viktymise
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:39 PM
:lol: The thread says biggest, but the poll says best :lol:z

See i knew this thread was ambiguous :p

njnetswill
Dec 26th, 2006, 10:47 PM
When you don't factor in consistency, Mirza, Sprem and Rezai all have huge forehands.

LUXXXAS
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:10 PM
my vote goes to Camille Pin She has MASSIVE forehand :drool:

Laur
Dec 26th, 2006, 11:55 PM
i say clijsters

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Dec 27th, 2006, 12:02 AM
:bounce: I think Kim and Ana have the two biggest forehands they both produce alot of power and pin-point accuracy! though sometimes they can make big errors!:bounce:

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 27th, 2006, 12:07 AM
I honestly can't believe how many people are playing up the Williams sisters' forehands, especially Venus' :o.

When it's on, sure both shots are cinredible, but overall? No way in hell do they posess the best ones.

It's funny because I still can't believe how many people under estimate Serena's forehand. Don't take it as the 'gospel' when you hear commentators criticise, there's more than enough matches out there for you collect your own empirical evidence- look for yourself . Serena doesn't lose matches when her forehand is on. It's not just that it's powerful, she can also hit some of the craziest angles like Seles, and she always has good depth. The problem with a pole like this is that it doesn't take into account the different kinds of forehands. While I can't think of another forehand-crosscourt I like more than Serena's, I'm not a big fan of her forehand-down the line. She dumps a lot of her forehand-down the lines into the net and sometimes has a tendency to rush through the shot. She sometimes does this on her forehand approach shots as well. And while I love Serena's inside-out forehand I don't think it's the best on tour, although it's one of the best. Now when it comes to the forehand on the run Serena is again tops on my list.

Forehand Down the Line:
1. Ivanovic
2. Sharapova
3. Justine

Forehand Cross Court:
1. Serena
2. Dementieva
3. Clijsters
(honorable mention to Ivanovic)

Inside Out Forehand:
1. Kuznetsova
2. Dementeva
3. Serena

Forehand on the Run:
1. Serena
2. Dementieva
3. Clijsters
(Venus has an awesome forehand on the run too)

Forehand Approach shot:
1. Justine
2. Sharapova
3. Hingis
(Petrova has a great forehand approach shot too)

goldenlox
Dec 27th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Right now, as we head into 2007, I would say Sveta.
She's ranked #4, and her forehand is her main weapon.

tennisrocks123
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Both Venus & Serena's forehands on the run can be devastating.

What is so good about Sharapova.. Her motion is most of the time so jerky, it goes around her head...:tape:

goldenlox
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Are we talking about now, or historically?
There's no way you can say Venus has the best forehand now. On a given day she can make 30 UE's on that side.
And Serena barely plays.
Sveta runs into the ad court doubles alley to hit her forehand.

Gooner
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:21 AM
I think it would be Ivanovic

LUIS9
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:21 AM

Moi aussi. Ivanovic's is a very pretty stroke a la Davenport's. I've got to agree Clijsters forehand is one unconventional looking shot at times ugly looking but it won her many titles and that coveted slam.

I am finding it hard to choose between Pierce, Serena and Ivanovic's forehand. Serena's I still think is the most explosive at it's best. It was just sheer power and athleticism when Serena was hitting the forehand from august of '01 through wimbledon of 2003.

I would tend to go with Graf as the all time best forehand, I've yet to see the whole match between her and Serena and then I'l have a definite say. I am assuming Graf's forehand had declined a tad bit by then in 1999.

selyoink
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I would say Kuznetsova. When she really goes for it, it is a huge shot.

LucasArg
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Serena for sure.

Derek.
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Best: Serena.

Biggest: Ana probably, but how often is it on? :tape:

Derek.
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:31 AM
i saw ivanovic at wimbledon this year and last year and her forehand is something to behold. some of the other players in the list have great forehands but have better backhands, like sharapova and vaidisova

Nicole's backhand isn't better than her forehand.

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:37 AM

It's so surprising how many people think Nikki's backhand is better than her forehand. :weirdo:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:33 AM
It's because her game is so much like Venus' that they assume EVERYTHING is the same :weirdo:

tennisrocks123
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Best: Serena.

Biggest: Ana probably, but how often is it on? :tape:

yes.

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Both Venus & Serena's forehands on the run can be devastating.

What is so good about Sharapova.. Her motion is most of the time so jerky, it goes around her head...:tape:

Every single player does that. Even Lindsay, the queen of perfect strokes does that like 60% of the time. And the poll doesnt ask who has the best looking technique it asks who has the biggest forehand.

Viktymise
Dec 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM

Anyone who thinks Nicole's BH is bigger or better than her FH has clearly never seen her play :lol:

orfeus
Dec 27th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Come on, folks!:lol: Funny how much everyone's choice agrees with his/her list of faves;) ...but it's pretty much the same with all these "biggest/best whatever" polls...actually I think that since Lady Forehand's time there hasn't been a shot comparable to hers and (with all due respect to the players mentioned) don't think there will be any in the near future...

SAEKeithSerena
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Serena, Venus, Sharapova, and Mary Pierce all come to mind

Derek.
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:38 AM
It's because her game is so much like Venus' that they assume EVERYTHING is the same :weirdo:

I don't see Venus at all really in her game. :tape:

Just her backhand is similar, how she takes it back early.

tennisjunky
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:43 AM
It's funny because I still can't believe how many people under estimate Serena's forehand. Don't take it as the 'gospel' when you hear commentators criticise, there's more than enough matches out there for you collect your own empirical evidence- look for yourself . Serena doesn't lose matches when her forehand is on. It's not just that it's powerful, she can also hit some of the craziest angles like Seles, and she always has good depth. The problem with a pole like this is that it doesn't take into account the different kinds of forehands. While I can't think of another forehand-crosscourt I like more than Serena's, I'm not a big fan of her forehand-down the line. She dumps a lot of her forehand-down the lines into the net and sometimes has a tendency to rush through the shot. She sometimes does this on her forehand approach shots as well. And while I love Serena's inside-out forehand I don't think it's the best on tour, although it's one of the best. Now when it comes to the forehand on the run Serena is again tops on my list.

Forehand Down the Line:
1. Ivanovic
2. Sharapova
3. Justine

Forehand Cross Court:
1. Serena
2. Dementieva
3. Clijsters

Inside Out Forehand:
1. Kuznetsova
2. Dementeva
3. Serena

Forehand on the Run:
1. Serena
2. Dementieva
3. Clijsters

Forehand Approach shot:
1. Justine
2. Sharapova
3. Hingis

need to add masha to #1 on cross-court forehand and kim shouldn't be on the list.

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM
need to add masha to #1 on cross-court forehand and kim shouldn't be on the list.

I might not be a Sharapova fan, but I'll give her forehand props, it's top of the line. The thing is, almost every top player has an above average cross court forehand. Maria's strong in every sub-category for the forehand, but nothing particular stands out with her cross court. It would be in my top five, but I still prefer Kim's. Kim's is equally explosive and I think timed better than Sharapova's. When Kim get nervous her forehand can get shaky at times, but she can usually get it back on track. I can't think of any other player that changes direction of a ball better than her. The next time you watch a Kim match, pay attention to how she'll hit left to right, changing the direction of the ball. Her power isn't as obvious because sometimes her court positioning isn't the greatest. She can smack the ball with the best of em' it's just she's usually dowing it so many feet behind the baseline. Because of her speed, she can get away with it. It might not be text book, but it's effective and that's why so many people mistakenly don't see Kim as one of the best offensive players out there- who else can hit such good shots from way back there? Personally, I'd rather have Kim's cross court forehand, but take Maria's court positioning.

Mina Vagante
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:50 AM
when its on serena's but now i think kimmie's

Borislove
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Ana's forehand is the best. It's something unbelievable!

Neptune
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:29 AM
The best is for Serena.

The biggest is for Ana.

Maria Sharapova has now a better backhand than her forehand.

Adal
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:52 AM
The best is for Serena.

The biggest is for Ana.

Maria Sharapova has now a better backhand than her forehand.

Actually not. She had her backhand better than her forehand, but now her forehand is better.

Neptune
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Actually not. She had her backhand better than her forehand, but now her forehand is better.

That was the case a few months yet.But,now,I really think her best weapon is her Backhand.

Her backhand betrays her not so much than before.

Adal
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:24 PM
That was the case a few months yet.But,now,I really think her best weapon is her Backhand.

Her backhand betrays her not so much than before.

Well watch her match against Henin at US Open. Like 99% of winners were from forehand. When she's in good form she usually hits most of the winners from forehand. Her backhand is stable, but not so agressive, as forehand.

Neptune
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Well watch her match against Henin at US Open. Like 99% of winners were from forehand. When she's in good form she usually hits most of the winners from forehand. Her backhand is stable, but not so agressive, as forehand.

Ok,I was talking about the indoor season in fact.That was my impression but I will see again her match against Henin.

frenchie
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Ivanovic and Serena

Sharapova should NOT be mentionned in that list!
there are tons of players with better FH

Adal
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Ok,I was talking about the indoor season in fact.That was my impression but I will see again her match against Henin.

On Zurich website was a very good statistic, showing forehand and backhand winners. And in every match Sharapova had more winners from forehand.
http://www.sharapova.ru/pictures/news/2006/stat57.jpg
http://www.sharapova.ru/pictures/news/2006/stat58.jpg
http://www.sharapova.ru/pictures/news/2006/stat59.jpg
http://www.sharapova.ru/pictures/news/2006/stat60.jpg

Tenis Srbija
Dec 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Lena Dementieva has just amazing forheand down the line, when running :)
It just :eek: :eek: :eek:
No one can play it like her :hatoff:

Neptune
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I would say she was making more Ue with her forehand.

But when you saw her matchs,you will never think of this kind of statistics.Thanks

Dominic
Dec 29th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Ivanovic and Serena

Sharapova should NOT be mentionned in that list!
there are tons of players with better FH

:rolleyes: She is easily top 3

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:25 PM
:rolleyes: She is easily top 3

I dunno about EASILY...

Serena
Ana (well all know about the conditions though)
Justine (it's HUGE, but overrated)
Venus (see Ana)
Maria

top 5 easliy, but Serena to me is the ONLY person who's forehand is better than the afformentioned

Dominic
Jan 4th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Serena right now is definately not in the list, ana's is not consistent, venus never was in the list

Gowza
Jan 4th, 2007, 03:45 AM
maybe dementieva, kuznetsova and mirza.

dinhd82
Jan 4th, 2007, 03:51 AM
When Mary is set and on, her FH is the best, better than Graf by a mile!!!

tennisjunky
Jul 16th, 2007, 08:27 PM

when i say vaidisova has a better backhand no one agrees, but glad you also noticed.

Craigy
Jul 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
when i say vaidisova has a better backhand no one agrees, but glad you also noticed.

Seriously, Nicole's forehand is better than her backhand. Her backhand doesn't win her as many points and it's more likely to break down.

Maryamator
Jul 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM
when serena is 100% definetly serena:)
ivanovic and kim have great forehands as well:)

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 16th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Biggest? Based on sheer pace - Mirza, hands down.

Best? Hard to say really. When she was playing, it was Mary Pierce. Now it's a tossup between Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic and Serena. Vaidisova and Golovin have nice ones too.

SV_Fan
Jul 16th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Pierce,Venus and Serena, oh and Clijsters.

égalité
Jul 16th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Sprem. Her most consistent shot is her blazing forehand over the fence!

But seriously, the 1 or 2 times in a match that her forehand goes in, it's pretty ridonkulous.

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 16th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Sprem. Her most consistent shot is her blazing forehand over the fence!

But seriously, the 1 or 2 times in a match that her forehand goes in, it's pretty ridonkulous.
LMAO, true. I still say Mirza's is bigger though.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jul 16th, 2007, 09:18 PM
GRaf has the best forehand tennis has seen period

This is my vote also. Graf changed the entire game at that timie with her powerful forehand.

ASP0315
Jul 16th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Mirza, Safarova have the biggest forehands on the tour.

Conor
Jul 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Its hard to say. I think Serena's is the best, she can do more with the ball. For the biggest i'd say Kuzzy... its MASSIVEEEE :eek: :)

The Dawntreader
Jul 16th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Having watched Venus at Wimby, i'm tempted to vote for her forehand. I think people tend to exagerate the weakness on the forehand. Sure it can break-down, but at times it can look so superb. Against Sharapova particulary, she was hitting forehand winners all over the court. It's hit so deep as well, right into the corners:worship:

Thanx4nothin
Jul 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Some players have had awesome forehands, my ranking

1. Serena
2. Pierce
3. Clijsters
4. Graf
5. Ivanovic.

Thanx4nothin
Jul 16th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Its hard to say. I think Serena's is the best, she can do more with the ball. For the biggest i'd say Kuzzy... its MASSIVEEEE :eek: :)

Serena actually hits her forehand harder when she goes for it, there was some statisitic doen for the year whcih showed serena hit the hardest hit winners on average i think...Dementieva was far up the forehand list also.

Borat72
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Some players have had awesome forehands, my ranking

1. Serena
2. Pierce
3. Clijsters
4. Graf
5. Ivanovic.

Yes, no wonder that they call Serena "Miss Forehand" and that she has won by far the most slams of this bunch ...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:rolleyes:

RenaSlam.
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Serena.

Viktymise
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:28 PM
If were talking biggest then its definatley Mirza, any match i have seen of her, she always comes out with a few :eek: :eek: :eek: FH's.

Sprem is 2nd, just look at some of her "Zoning" matches :p

The best FH's on the tour right now include Dementieva, Vaidisova, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova in no particular order

Venus and Serena when playing well have lethal FH's, its not just the pace but the depth, angles etc.

Viktymise
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:31 PM

:tape: Nicole's FH is by far her best wing, anyone who thinks the BH has surely never seen her play :o

Viktymise
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:32 PM
LMAO, true. I still say Mirza's is bigger though.

I agree. Mirza has the biggest FH, Rezai has the biggest BH, Karolina has the biggest game of all

starin
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I think Mirza hit an over 90 mph forehand once. That's as hard as the guys hit it. Her's has to be the biggest on tour. I think Serena also said as much when she played Mirza before.

Slutiana
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I think Mirza hit an over 90 mph forehand once. That's as hard as the guys hit it. Her's has to be the biggest on tour. I think Serena also said as much when she played Mirza before.

well i watched the venus/sharapova vid on youtube today and it showed venus hitting a 90 mph forehand. Im surprised venus has only 9 votes...i think the reason her forehand hurts her so much is because it's so big but since the year of 05, she has started to control the beast that is venus williams' forehand

Viktymise
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:49 PM
well i watched the venus/sharapova vid on youtube and it showed venus hitting a 90 mph forehand. Im surprised venus has only 1 vote...i think the reason her forehand hurts her so much is because it's so big but since the year of 05, she has started to control the beast that is venus williams' forehand

Venus has a bigger FH than Henin,Clijsters and Sharapova, so i don't know what some people are smoking :o

Donny
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:49 PM

That's as hard as guy hit with with spin. Blake, Federer, etc. easily get over 100 mph when they flatten out shots. The record, I think, is a 125 mph forehand DTL by Gael Monfils. And even this had considerable spin, since it was over the high part of the net.

Beny
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I don't know the exact speed of their forehands but from what i saw on TV,I would say I saw the biggest forehand from Kuznetsova. Ivanovic,Dementieva,too.

I've seen Mirza a couple of times..(not more than 10 matches of her) and I didn't remember her forehand being so hard.
I hope I'll be able to see her in some upcoming hard court tourney

mckyle.
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Svetlana hits the heaviest ball in my opinion. She may not hit it the hardest, but she hits it pretty hard, and with a lot more spin than the rest of the women. I still remember the 2004 US Open final :eek:

CoolDude7
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM
1.Lindsay
2.Sprem
3.Pierce
4.Serena
5.Venus

spencercarlos
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:57 PM
If were talking biggest then its definatley Mirza, any match i have seen of her, she always comes out with a few :eek: :eek: :eek: FH's.

Sprem is 2nd, just look at some of her "Zoning" matches :p

The best FH's on the tour right now include Dementieva, Vaidisova, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova in no particular order

Venus and Serena when playing well have lethal FH's, its not just the pace but the depth, angles etc.
Venus? :lol: that is laughable.. that is her worst shot period.

Viktymise
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Venus? :lol: that is laughable.. that is her worst shot period.

:confused: I didn't know this thread was called Best Forehand. Its called the biggest FH and you have to be seriously deluded if you think its not one of the biggest when she's on :o

spencercarlos
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM
:confused: I didn't know this thread was called Best Forehand. Its called the biggest FH and you have to be seriously deluded if you think its not one of the biggest when she's on :o
Yes its so big in Venus unforced errors count :p ;)

Viktymise
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Yes its so big in Venus unforced errors count :p ;)

Well thats how she just won Wimbledon of course, her UE count ;)

spencercarlos
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Surprised not to see Davenport´s name in there, i like her forehand and it can be pretty big and damaging on fast surfaces.

CoolDude7
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:03 PM
people seem to think just because vee makes errors on her forehand that it isn't big.! If that were the case she would not be in control of almost all her matches.. If anything she makes errors because her forehand is so big!just a week ago she proved that she has a bigger forehand than Maria, Kuz, and Ivan.....

spencercarlos
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Well thats how she just won Wimbledon of course, her UE count ;)
And the French Open.. no wait, she will never get that :p ;)

Its ok i can understand that Venus can hit a big shot off her forehand, just watch her huge winners in the 2000 season summer, some of her forehands against Hingis at the Usopen were :eek:, hmm she is really far from that form but yeah no doubt she can hit it big.

Viktymise
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM
And the French Open.. no wait, she will never get that :p ;)

Its ok i can understand that Venus can hit a big shot off her forehand, just watch her huge winners in the 2000 season summer, some of her forehands against Hingis at the Usopen were :eek:, hmm she is really far from that form.

I know but its still a huge shot, although it may not be that consistent :p, thats not the thread title though

CoolDude7
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Venus has already won the French Championship in doubles, and mixed doubles. She also made the finals in singles at the French Open.

Thanx4nothin
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I know Serena hit a 101 mph forehand winner once but it was right at the net and she kinds just smacked it down, Venus hit a few 90mph plus shots at Wimbldeon.

spencercarlos
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I know Serena hit a 101 mph forehand winner once but it was right at the net and she kinds just smacked it down, Venus hit a few 90mph plus shots at Wimbldeon.
Biggest forehand i have ever seen? Serena vs Henin Roland Garros 2003 Semifinal 5-2 in the first set 40-15 and Henin just hit a first serve :lol: that was amazing. The hardest one i have seen, period.

Serval
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Mary Pierce.

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:43 PM
If you discount the fact that Venus' forehand can break down under pressure (and it is her least steady shot), it is still easily one of the most powerful and penetrating when it's on. There's no denying that.

jdyshrky
Jul 17th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I love Vee's, Mary's and Ree's...I don't see anything startling in Ana's as much as I see in Nicole's. I don't understand the results here...if anything Svetta's got the best forehand on tour, no? [<said in Nadal styley!!]

delicatecutter
Jul 17th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Ivanovic has the best forehand since Graf. :worship: (I've been saying this since Montreal.)

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:16 AM
I voted Serena...but I'll have to say when Venus forehand is on..she can slap a good one across the net!

mankind
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Gonzo!

Polikarpov
Jul 17th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Does anybody else here thinks that Ivanovic' forehand is very reminiscent of Graf's? Especially how she takes her racquet back.

Apoorv
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Mirza and Ivanovic hit the hardest in the present generation. Both use it to control the court.

merda2004
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:19 AM
when dementieva is at her best i think nobody can beat her!!! davenport was good also

Cp6uja
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Ivanovec, especialy after Pierce retire.

Slutiana
Jul 17th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I love Vee's, Mary's and Ree's...I don't see anything startling in Ana's as much as I see in Nicole's. I don't understand the results here...if anything Svetta's got the best forehand on tour, no? [<said in Nadal styley!!]

:lol:

mankind
Jul 17th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I assume the 19 people who voted for Sharapova's nightmare of a forehand are not her fans or well-wishers as that shot will single-handedly lead to her demise if it hasn't already.

DomenicDemaria
Jul 17th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Mary! The technique is perfect! She has the ability to hit it with alot of topspin but also to flaten it out when needed.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Ivanovic! When Sam is on hers is very good!

sammy01
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:34 AM
i'd have to go with pierce its just so big and so hard when its on players just rock on thier heals!

Donny
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I assume the 19 people who voted for Sharapova's nightmare of a forehand are not her fans or well-wishers as that shot will single-handedly lead to her demise if it hasn't already.

:lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 17th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Serena's hit some DEADLY first serve FH return winners off of Venus, Maria, Justine...EVERYONE.

:worship:

Ana's is bigger (barely) but I hold that Serena's is best by far

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 17th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Atfirst i thought it said BIGGEST FOREHEAD :spit: Anyways, when Serenas forehand is on there is no touching it :bounce:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I voted for Vaidisova just because I'm watching her French Open match against Mauresmo now, and it is ON. Very powerful stuff. And this is on clay, too.

But yeah, Ivanovic has a good forehand, as do all of the girls listed.

but she was playing Amelie who sets the ball up for anyone to tee off on esp. from her forehand wing.

Jenny.C.Fan
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Sveta :D

Jirku
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM
from the list: vaidisova
but tati have the best one

Nemesis
Jul 17th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Of this list Svetlana. When it's on, it hurts very bad, especially on clay.
But most of you say Ivanovic. I haven't noticed it. But I haven't seen her play too much. The RG final vs. Ju was too short to notice it :devil:

The most effective one is Serenas.

DA FOREHAND
Jul 17th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I would have to say Serena Williams, I've seen her smack away several matchpoints.

LucasArg
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Serena n#1 :bounce:

Thanx4nothin
Jul 17th, 2007, 08:28 PM
:lol: everytime I come in here serena or Ivanovic moves 2 ahead of one another, be4 I left today it was ANA now it's Serena. :fight:

alexia1huff
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:24 PM
i think ivanovic has the most natural forehand, it's not too forced and it's nicely flowing, great timing there. It's really slamming and she still makes it work when nothing is working, can be erratic though.

Donny
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:53 PM
During the AO final this year, Sharapova hit a good first serve, right into the far corner. Serena hit a forehand return that literally moved too fast to see. The ball was a literal blur. Someone had it made into a gif on here, and I saved it:

http://i19.tinypic.com/4qd4kgp.gif

The gif doesn't do it justice though. From corner to corner, the longest distance a ball can travel on a tennis court, and it was nearly impossible to track. Amazing.

Serena also hit a forehand just like that in her Miami match with Maria. That one was called out, and Serena (who obviously couldn't have seen whether or not it was in or out) challenged. It was in by millimeters.

Those were the two best forehands I've ever seen a women hit.

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 17th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Someone had it made into a gif on here
Moi. :wavey:

Thanx4nothin
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:44 PM
During the AO final this year, Sharapova hit a good first serve, right into the far corner. Serena hit a forehand return that literally moved too fast to see. The ball was a literal blur. Someone had it made into a gif on here, and I saved it:

The gif doesn't do it justice though. From corner to corner, the longest distance a ball can travel on a tennis court, and it was nearly impossible to track. Amazing.

Serena also hit a forehand just like that in her Miami match with Maria. That one was called out, and Serena (who obviously couldn't have seen whether or not it was in or out) challenged. It was in by millimeters.

The forehand on the point after this was reminiscent of what federer often does off the return of serve, she ran round it and with literally no space sent it down the line for the winner.

Thanx4nothin
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Moi. :wavey:

:yeah:

friendsita
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Serena :bounce:

Sir Stefwhit
Jul 18th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Serena doesn't lose matches when her forehand is on. It's not just that it's powerful, she can also hit some of the craziest angles like Seles, and she always has good depth. The problem with a pole like this is that it doesn't take into account the different kinds of forehands. While I can't think of another forehand-crosscourt I like more than Serena's, I'm not a big fan of her forehand-down the line. She dumps a lot of her forehand-down the lines into the net and sometimes has a tendency to rush through the shot. She sometimes does this on her forehand approach shots as well. And while I love Serena's inside-out forehand I don't think it's the best on tour, although it's one of the best. Now when it comes to the forehand on the run Serena is again tops on my list.

Forehand Down the Line:
1. Ivanovic
2. Sharapova
3. Justine

Forehand Cross Court:
1. Serena
2. Dementieva
3. Clijsters

Inside Out Forehand:
1. Kuznetsova
2. Dementeva
3. Serena

Forehand on the Run:
1. Serena
2. Dementieva
3. Clijsters

Forehand Approach shot:
1. Justine
2. Sharapova
3. Hingis

Again, to just say 'forehand' is a bit too limiting. There are so many different kinds of forehands to consider. The forehand crosscort is probably more similar to the back hand cross court then it is to an inside out forehand.

With 286 votes counted here's how we listed them so far:

1. Serena 63 22.03%
2. Ivanovic 61 21.33%
3. Kuznetsova 34 11.89%

4. Dementieva 31 10.84%
5. Clijsters 27 9.44%
6. Venus 19 6.64%

6. Sharapova 19 6.64%
8. Henin 17 5.94%
9. Vaidisova 15 5.24%

I mostly agree with the top 3. I would swap Clijsters for Kuznetsova though. The next three is where Nikki should be. No way in the world all the people listed in front her have a better forehand than she does. Based on this I would have to say Nikki's forehand is a very under rated shot.

From the players listed I'd probably rank them as follows:
1. Serena, 2. Ivanovic, 3. Clijsters, 4. Dementieva, 5. Vaidisova, 6. Justine, Kuznetsova, and Venus (tied), 9.Sharapova

Venus and Kuznetsova can probably do the most damage when there full power and on, but both have a tendency to be too eratic with the shot (although Venus has improved through the years). Justine has a great forehand approach shot and when she opens the court with her backhand she's just as effective as anyone hitting a winner on her forehand side.

spencercarlos
Jul 18th, 2007, 01:00 AM

That is a minimal shot, compared to what she did to Henin´s first serve at Roland Garros 2003 5-2 first set.

serena_fan
Jul 18th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Serena or Venus

Freakan
Jul 18th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Ana!

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:43 PM
The FH that SpencerCarlos was referring to :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BCL3Z1L5

:eek::worship:

Derek.
Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
Biggest

1. Serena
2. Ivanovic
3. Mirza

Some of their forehands are just :eek:.

stefi62
Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:55 PM
Mary and Aravane

Wayn77
Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:56 PM
Svetlana Kuznetsova

Derek.
Jul 24th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Mary and Aravane

Aravane's specialty is her backhand. :p

Shooter
Jul 24th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Seen both Serena and Sania hit some damn hard forehands, but the hardest single forehand stroke I've ever seen hit by a woman was by Mary Pierce. Mary and Sania were practicing on adjacent courts in San Diego. So I got a good, comparative, look at both of them. Mary won the battle of the forehands that day.