PDA

View Full Version : Open Stance Backhand

No Name Face
Dec 25th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Can anyone discuss it with me? Tell me the pros and cons, etc. I know the WS/Dementieva use it, but I am constantly told it's bad and it shows poor technique. I can see how it's not aesthetically pleasing, but my backhand only improved once I used the open stance. It also keeps me in the point. I find it hard to hit down the line with it though, but I usually don't need to because I just snap it hard CC and force the error.

Anyway, please discuss this with me. Thanks.

IceHock
Dec 25th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I've tried it before, but for me it's really uncomfortable, it hurt my wrist alot, it felt like it was going to snap, I couldn't get as much power with it.

Lefty.
Dec 25th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I've tried it before, but for me it's really uncomfortable, it hurt my wrist alot, it felt like it was going to snap, I couldn't get as much power with it.

Ah, that's probably where Vee's wrist problem is coming from. :(

Viktymise
Dec 25th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I actually found it easier to hit a BH DTL rather than CC which i kept dumping them into the net, but its tricky to perfect i think, right now im still using it and its improving every time, i think there's a bit more explosive potential with it, i naturally started of with an opened stanced BH, its alot easier to hit a BH while moving foward with an open stance too and yes its very wristy, my wrists often hurt me but my coach tells me its more to do with my FH being very wristy which causes me the problems

Hingie
Dec 25th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I thought you only adopt the open stance when you are on the run and don't have that much time :confused:

I don't see how you could hit it all the time. If you have the time, you should always step into the shot with your right leg.

I play open stance when i don't have enough time on the backhand. I don't find it uncomfortable nor do i think it looks bad when other players do it. What you do need though is impeccable timing on this shot and you really do need to catch the ball at the right time.

Players like Venus, Hingis and Dementieva make it look a lot easier than what it really is.

urock34
Dec 25th, 2006, 09:20 PM
ya u need 2 be pretty strong cuz it takes away power but gives u more time

Viktymise
Dec 25th, 2006, 09:26 PM
You need to have good footwork around the ball if you use it, it you are lazy and dont move your feet, balls can fly long quiet often

No Name Face
Dec 25th, 2006, 09:29 PM
i dunno, i use it all the time.

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 25th, 2006, 09:37 PM
One advantage to hitting open stance is that it’s easier to hit balls that are hit directly at you. If someone serves into your body open stance will be your best bet at getting the ball back into play. It’s also a lot easier to change directions after hitting the ball, so quicker players can really benefit from an open stance. Since you’re hitting with your backhip turning into the ball you get the power of racquet acceleration and the power of your legs into each shot.

Advantages with closed stance I would immagine that it’s a lot easier to control and master since it’s more of a natural shot. I’d also assume it’s less wear and tear on the body.

These are just my personal observations, I'm not really sure what all the differences are. If I had a young player I'd get them to master the open stance, I think overall it's more beneficial to a players game.

Ben.
Dec 25th, 2006, 10:09 PM
I usually use the square stance when hitting shots but i'm thinking of switching to open stance cause i've improved my game over the past 6 months & feel that i'm ready to adapt that. Open stance is a lot more difficult to master than the square or closed stance but you get better prepared for each shot with the open stance & with the closed/square stance you don't have to turn your hips & waist which takes a bit of energy to do.

mirzalover
Dec 25th, 2006, 10:20 PM
i had a open stance backhand since i started playing tennis and i taught myself to play tennis so that might be the reason i have one. my coach tells me all the time i have the best backhand he has ever seen but recently i have developed tendinitus in my left wrist and i think it's because of my backhand

komorli
Dec 26th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I use open stance when I'm stretched out wide. it allows me to make sure I'm steady and balanced when I'm on the run. It's been working well for me. :)

crazyroberto6767
Dec 26th, 2006, 12:54 AM
The open stanced backhand has always been more natural to me. When I was younger, my pro always told me to close my stance though because I lacked the power at the time to hit an open stanced one. Now I hit open on almost every shot though. Occasionally I'll close my stance when I step into a DTL or inside out backhand. I haven't had any issues with my wrists *yet*, and I frequently snap my wrists on CC backhands. I'd say if the open stanced backhand is working better for you, go for it. And then just try to close your stance on the DTL. As for it being bad technique, I'd say whatever works for you is the best technique (as long as it isn't harmful to your body.) And I've had a number of pros say that the open stanced shot is the "shot of the future."

Derek.
Dec 26th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I used both an open stance and a closed stance.

It's easier to use an open stance when you don't have much time or you are absorbing power.

But it's much easier to step into your backhand when going down the line.

It's not really bad, but I wouldn't use only an open stance.

Josh.
Dec 26th, 2006, 12:57 AM
i think i use it .. :confused:

but i have an better-than-average backhand crosscourt

tennisrocks123
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:20 AM
I laugh at the fact that one of my coaches thinks all open-stance is BAD. He particularly hates the open-stance backhand

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:31 AM
I use an open stance alot it gives me so much more power and time on my cros-court shots it has hard to hit it down the line you have to time it right if you want to do that its also easier to step around and hit a backhand shot when your on the forehand side which i do alot

Davenselesport
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:14 AM
I think its more of what comes naturally... I use it some times and don't even notice.
Jankovic has a beautiful one... as does Venus

tennisrocks123
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:31 AM
So:
Serena, Venus, Vaidisova, Dementieva

Maybe:
Jankovic, Hingis?

Rexman
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:35 AM
I do it every once in a while. My old coach used to yell at me when I did it. He would even say "You're hitting it like the Williams sisters. It works but it's going to hurt your wrist in the long run."

No Name Face
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:38 AM
I think its more of what comes naturally... I use it some times and don't even notice.
Jankovic has a beautiful one... as does Venus

Jankovic's BH might be open stanced sometimes but it's not as dramatic as Venus/Dementieva/Serena.

Polikarpov
Dec 26th, 2006, 04:14 AM
I have an open-stance backhand.

I started playing without any assistance or coaching so I just did what works for me.

Now that I'm being trained, I am being thought on how to hit a backhand in a closed-stance but I'm having a very difficult time of breaking out from what I'm accustomed to.

K-Dog
Dec 26th, 2006, 04:54 AM
I personally am like Serena with the backhand. I can hit it soley open-stanced if I really wanted to, but I often use both the closed and open stance depending on the type of ball I get from my opponent. Balls that don't have a lot of pace on them or balls that are up the middle of the court, it is easier to hit the closed stance. I use the open-stance when the ball is hit with depth at me or when I am moving through the backhand and approaching the net. The open-stance backhand offers more disguise than the closed-stance, whereas the closed-stance offers more control and is all together a more balanced shot. The timing on the open-stance is trickier than the closed-stance. If I had to close how I would hit a backhand if my life depended on it, I would hit a closed-stance backhand. It is just a shot that is easy to control and is more balanced than its counterpart.

Brooklyn90
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:54 AM
i play with it, and it's very comfortable for me :)

thomas.chung
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:04 AM
The open-stanced BH is probably one of the most defensive shot from me, (with FH, i sometimes do a squash shot). And it is often inconsistent. So if I have time, I use closed, but if not, I just slice it.

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:14 AM
I think s'times when i hit a backhand I'm in a open stance when i don't realise that i'm not. i have hit a backhand winner down the line once before when i was in an open stance & boy did it fool my opponent :)

only problem with open stance I would find would be how much strain it would put on your wrist & maybe the turning the waist a bit. but i will give it a go next time i hit the courts.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:21 AM
for me it's mixed, but i LOVE open stance

Ben.
Dec 26th, 2006, 06:23 AM
with open stance you don't waste seconds in getting prepared for a shot.

K-Dog
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:16 AM
with open stance you don't waste seconds in getting prepared for a shot.

not true. if you have good footwork and take the ball early, you waste no time. people think that because you hit open-stance, you have to take less little steps. that isn't true. if you want to hit an effective open-stance two-hander, your feet need to be in proper position. it is actually harder to hit high balls with an open-stance backhand. the only time I believe that the open-stance should be employed is when you are on the move and out of position, returning a big serve, when you are approaching the net and moving through the shot, and/or when you are in the middle of the court and your opponent is in a corner and hits the ball straight back to you and you want to change direction of the ball.

thomas.chung
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:09 AM
not true. if you have good footwork and take the ball early, you waste no time. people think that because you hit open-stance, you have to take less little steps. that isn't true. if you want to hit an effective open-stance two-hander, your feet need to be in proper position. it is actually harder to hit high balls with an open-stance backhand. the only time I believe that the open-stance should be employed is when you are on the move and out of position, returning a big serve, when you are approaching the net and moving through the shot, and/or when you are in the middle of the court and your opponent is in a corner and hits the ball straight back to you and you want to change direction of the ball.

;) :worship:

Marcus Jordan
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:12 AM
I'm not sure but I do know that Martina Hingis has the best open stance forehand in the game.