Dec 24th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Who has the best backhand. I pick Venus with Serena/Justine tied for second. :D

P.S. I know that this thread is so old. :lol:

maddyus
Dec 24th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Justine:worship: :worship:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 24th, 2006, 02:14 AM
You only left off the woman with the best backhand of all time.

Chris Evert.

kittyking
Dec 24th, 2006, 02:52 AM
You only left off the woman with the best backhand of all time.

Chris Evert.

I think this thread is about best backhand of any player on tour at the moment

Chris is the best backhand of all time il agree with you there completely!

SvetaPleaseWin.
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:13 AM
venus

RJWCapriati
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Venus

Derek.
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Nicole Vaidisova for sure!

Havok
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Other, Hingis.

Venus used to have the best backhand but she never plays so why bother voting for her. Also her backhand isn't as potent as it used to be during her best days.

Between Hingis and Henin-Hardenne I'd go for Martina's. A better backhand dtl and has much more control over it that Justine does.

Ferosh
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Why is this even a discussion? It's obvious that Justine has the best backhand in the game!

serenafan08
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Venus and Serena can do what a lot of two-handed players can't - slice, especially Venus. That's why their backhands are two of the best on the tour right now.

.Andrew.
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:46 AM
I voted Justine because she can use it for power and variety. She can use it to hit winners, to hit the low slices, and throw in a little drop shot... Not to mention she's a one - hander :)

Also good ones obviously Venus, Serena, Maria, and Hingis :)

miss_molik
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Why is this even a discussion? It's obvious that Justine has the best backhand in the game!

well said!;)

hingisGOAT
Dec 24th, 2006, 06:03 AM
i seriously can't believe hingis' backhand is not in this poll. there is absolutely no question that her backhand is the best the game has seen since evert.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 24th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Hingis, Venus, Justine, Serena

5+ slam club :bigclap:

Lulu.
Dec 24th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Serena of course. Look at my avatar

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 24th, 2006, 06:37 AM
It's definately one of the most picturesque :hearts:

PatrickRyan
Dec 24th, 2006, 06:38 AM

:yeah:

Iceland
Dec 24th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Justine of course : power and accuracy.

Aravane's backhand should not be forgotten also, it's very very very impressive.

Jeff
Dec 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Venus :worship:

Tenis Srbija
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:38 AM
JELENA JANKOVIĆ!!!

No doubt...her backhand down the line is the best in the world!
All experts agree about that :)

Viktymise
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Venus at her best wins hands down, no one can change the direction from CC to DTL as well as she does, Vee's BH DTL is the best shot of the new millenium from 00 on, there i said it :p

FrenchY52
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Mary's and Lindsay's :hearts:

frenchie
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Jankovic Venus and Myskina

The Dawntreader
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Venus at her best wins hands down, no one can change the direction from CC to DTL as well as she does, Vee's BH DTL is the best shot of the new millenium from 00 on, there i said it :p

:worship: :D

Venus gets down to the backhand so well also, great knee-bend to keep on balance with the shot. Yes Venus has really intiated the change of direction on that backhand. Players like Seles found it harder to suddenly change direction, but Venus is excellent at doing so.

I must also mention Lindsay and Serena's backhands. Lindsay has such racquet head-speed and Serena's is just raw power. Superb to watch:worship:

Justine's is the best single hander and Venus/Serena have the best double-handers:)

Viktymise
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:53 AM
:worship: :D

Venus gets down to the backhand so well also, great knee-bend to keep on balance with the shot. Yes Venus has really intiated the change of direction on that backhand. Players like Seles found it harder to suddenly change direction, but Venus is excellent at doing so.

I must also mention Lindsay and Serena's backhands. Lindsay has such racquet head-speed and Serena's is just raw power. Superb to watch:worship:

Justine's is the best single hander and Venus/Serena have the best double-handers:)

Agreed

matpaw88
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Jankovic

HenryMag.
Dec 24th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Jankovic BH is very good....But I prefer Martina BH.

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 24th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Venus when she's on.

As for now it's Justine.

jazar
Dec 24th, 2006, 11:29 AM
justine has the best backhand by a mile. she has power, accuracy and variety. she can mix up topspin and slice, whereas players like the williams sisters just bludgeon the ball.

Mina Vagante
Dec 24th, 2006, 11:51 AM
justine is the best in terms of versitility but serena is the best in terms of control and power, i picked serena obviously

Natalicious
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:04 PM
amelie :hearts:

Il Primo!
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Venus in her hey days has the best BH

But nowadays, I'd go with Maria's

Craigy
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:06 PM
justine has the best backhand by a mile. she has power, accuracy and variety. she can mix up topspin and slice, whereas players like the williams sisters just bludgeon the ball.

Serena doesn't just 'bludgeon' the ball. She can mix her backhand up too. She can create great angles & lobs. Also when she has a target she can make it. If you're gonna hate Serena please come up with something that's actually true.

Mina Vagante
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Serena doesn't just 'bludgeon' the ball. She can mix her backhand up too. She can create great angles & lobs. Also when she has a target she can make it. If you're gonna hate Serena please come up with something that's actually true.

true, at the AO 05, she hit some amazing backhand topspin lobs

jazar
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:19 PM

wow, she can hit lobs. i don't hate serena, i'm just stating the facts, and justine has the best backhand in womens tennis.
if it makes you happy, serena only bludgeons the ball 95% of the time.

Dexter
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:29 PM
the best single-handed BH - Justine.
the best double-handed BH - Venus.

Steffica Greles
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:31 PM
i seriously can't believe hingis' backhand is not in this poll. there is absolutely no question that her backhand is the best the game has seen since evert.

Best in terms of feel, that is probably true, or near enough.

Best in terms of destruction? No way. She's some way down the list.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I still don't understand why so many people vote Justine in these polls.

If an opponent with a great double hander is having an 'on' day... they can totally overpower her on that side IMO. At their best, Venus, Serena, Maria and even JANKOVIC have better backhands than Justine on a medium-fast court.

:shrug:

Craigy
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:41 PM
wow, she can hit lobs. i don't hate serena, i'm just stating the facts, and justine has the best backhand in womens tennis.
if it makes you happy, serena only bludgeons the ball 95% of the time.

Oh right I see, do you watch all her matches then??? And you're trying to tell me you're not a hater :haha: Ok, sure. If you're not a hater then why do you always say bad things about Serena? Oh yeah thats what fans do, insult players they like. Sorry I forgot that.

Steffica Greles
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:44 PM

If an opponent with a great double hander is having an 'on' day... they can totally overpower her on that side IMO. At their best, Venus, Serena, Maria and even JANKOVIC have better backhands than Justine on a medium-fast court.

I agree. It's the elegance of the stroke that people mistake for devastation, a little like Hingis.

Besides, I've always thought Mauresmo's one-handed backhand is more elegant.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I agree. It's the elegance of the stroke that people mistake for devastation, a little like Hingis.

Besides, I've always thought Mauresmo's one-handed backhand is more elegant.

Yup. I'm not denying it's a great shot in both offence and defence but double handers are just more effective on the WTA.

I agree - Mauresmo's backhand is stunning to watch when she hits through it. I was courtside watching her Wimbledon fourth round this year against Ivanovic and she hit a couple of DTL drives that just made you :speakles::speakles:.

Mina Vagante
Dec 24th, 2006, 01:28 PM
yeh i would prefere to watch momos bk than justines anyday, momos bk is so fluid, her forehand however:tape: :help:

Steffica Greles
Dec 24th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Yup. I'm not denying it's a great shot in both offence and defence but double handers are just more effective on the WTA.

I agree - Mauresmo's backhand is stunning to watch when she hits through it. I was courtside watching her Wimbledon fourth round this year against Ivanovic and she hit a couple of DTL drives that just made you :speakles::speakles:.

I don't necessarily think double-handers are more effective.

If there was a player with a biting, fizzing, vicious slice which just buried itself in the court, a la Graf or Novotna, then I think that, combined with angles and topspin, the shot would be, on balance, just as effective as any double-handed shot.

But there is no player in today's game who can hit the shot to its most damaging effect. Henin has an okay slice, but it's still not low and dead enough. Mauresmo and Hingis hit pathetic slices which are just defensive shots to allow them time to get back into position.

trivfun
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:39 PM
At Wimbledon or on grass courts, I think it is Venus Williams of all-time concerning the backhand. She can chase balls down with that are down the line and she can hit those sandwedge shots that are hit right at her. It is very difficult to judge where she is going to hit the ball. It could be a drop, crosscourt, down the line winner, a lob, or an inside-out liner that can go either way. Venus just swings hard and moves very quickly on grass with those small steps and makes contact which makes her "sandwedge shot" so effective.

http://www.tennisfreunde-much.de/images/impressionen/Venus_Williams_01.jpg

trivfun
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:46 PM
For one hander, I would Justine is good as well as Amelie. Though, I think Amelie is slice and chip is more effective on grass.

They both remind me of a player named Ken Rosewall who had one of the best one-handed backhand.

http://www.operationdoubles.com/rosewall_backhand2.gif

Nicolás89
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:49 PM
and who says that power and devastation are everything in the game, if you can hit the ball out of the court with you backhand is not necessarily the best backhand, is the accuracy, variety, "with" power what makes a great backhand, the only one who has all that things in her backhand is justines

what i meant that the others players on the list are either less effective or even less "powerful" that justines backhand

Niunia
Dec 24th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Justine

Davenselesport
Dec 24th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Justine
Venus
Lindsay

and then... Seles and Evert, of course

hingisGOAT
Dec 24th, 2006, 04:15 PM
no i'm not confusing elegance for devestation, even tennis journalists like shriver & wertheim agree -- hingis' backhand is the best in the modern era. she can go sets without hitting errors and her accuracy and ability to change directions is unparalelled. look at her matches with venus williams, for example. who's winning the backhand rallies, who's using their backhand to run their opponent ragged? guess what it's not venus...

GrafMariaPetraK
Dec 24th, 2006, 04:29 PM
maria has the most powerful backhand

silverarrows
Dec 24th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Justine and Richard Gasquet in mens.

Drake1980
Dec 24th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I think Hingis should be on the list really.

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Dec 24th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Um.. WHy arent people voting for Serena in this? :confused:, she has a GREAT Backhand with tons of power and accuracy and consistency... I think its the best

PatrickRyan
Dec 24th, 2006, 06:19 PM
i voted Mauresmo

LudwigDvorak
Dec 24th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I voted for Mauresmo. One of the first things I noticed about her is how lovely her backhand is. It's so difficult to use the net against her, because chances are she'll just hit an amazing backhand passing shot, and you can do nothing about it. Her chip and volley is impressive, as well. Basically, when I think backhands, I think Mauresmo first, and maybe Justine second. I'm surprised no one's mentioned Graf's backhand--I thought she had a great one.

ayusania
Dec 24th, 2006, 06:24 PM
justine!

gocanadago
Dec 24th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Justine

Dunlop1
Dec 24th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Your avatar is of Serena's followthrough after hitting a FOREHAND :rolleyes:

If you can't tell from a pic if someone is hitting a forehand or a backhand how can you say Serena's BH is the best? That's right, you can't. :wavey:

ALLEZ JUJU!!!!

Dunlop1
Dec 24th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Jelena Jankovic (not to mention others) do this just as well now. Look at how Jelena embarassed Venus with this very shot at wimbledon and did the same thing to her sister not too long after.

Venus doesn't have a monopoly on up the line shots. Especially because she won't close her stance and hit through the shot. That alone is why Jelena Jankovic's backhand down-the-line is so effective, not to mention how early she takes it and redirects it.

Venus's backhand right now is not even top 5.

Dunlop1
Dec 24th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Are you insane??? Do you have any evidence/match results to show that Justine was "totally overpowered" on her backhand side by a player with a 2HBH???
You will spend forever looking for anything of the sort.

Justine is SOLID on the backhand side and holds her own and exerts pressure and forces errors with her backhand.

Justine can step in and crush the return of serve with her 1hbh just like the best 2 handers (Something some one handers have trouble with like Amelie)
Take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06mqszt01nQ

Justine also changes direction well with her 1hbh. Her take back for her up the line and cross court are identical. Very hard to read the down-the-line.

Another thing that Justine possesses is angles. Because of her extreme grips she can easily pull you off the court. It is also easier to hit angles with a one hander than a 2 hander. When she gets a short ball on the backhand side, she can make it harder for a good mover to get to the ball by angling it out wide.
She and Amelie do this well. The short angled cross court backhand.

There used to be a slow motion clip on youtube of her slice backhand. An exercise in perfection.

Justine's timing is IMPECCABLE. SHe is the only tennis player I have ever seen (MALE OR FEMALE) hit a one handed backhand SWINGING VOLLEY. That shot was :eek: :worship:

My vote DEFINITELY goes to Justine!!!

Sund7101
Dec 24th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Other

Hingis has so much variety with her backhand, it's a joy to watch.

And Pierce hits her backhand so flat and hard with pinpoint accuracy.

If I had to choose I would pick Pierce's backhand.

-VSR-
Dec 24th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Venus. Hands down.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 24th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Are you insane??? Do you have any evidence/match results to show that Justine was "totally overpowered" on her backhand side by a player with a 2HBH???
You will spend forever looking for anything of the sort.

The USO this year - semi-final for a set and a half. Parts of the final. :shrug: Serena Williams Wimbledon 2003. It's an opinion, you can't prove or disprove whether Justine was overpowered in a match. My opinion is Justine's backhand struggles (or would struggle) against a powerful double hander playing well like Jankovic, Venus, Serena, Maria on a non-clay surface.

Justine is SOLID on the backhand side and holds her own and exerts pressure and forces errors with her backhand.

Justine can step in and crush the return of serve with her 1hbh just like the best 2 handers (Something some one handers have trouble with like Amelie)
Take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06mqszt01nQ

Just like the best double handers - I don't think so. Why post a clip of Justine returning Hantuchova's shit serve on a grass court? I'm not saying she can't hit winners or open up the court with it.

Justine also changes direction well with her 1hbh. Her take back for her up the line and cross court are identical. Very hard to read the down-the-line.

Another thing that Justine possesses is angles. Because of her extreme grips she can easily pull you off the court. It is also easier to hit angles with a one hander than a 2 hander. When she gets a short ball on the backhand side, she can make it harder for a good mover to get to the ball by angling it out wide.
She and Amelie do this well. The short angled cross court backhand.

Good double handers have no trouble producing angles - Serena Williams, Martina Hingis and Jelena Jankovic at their best can all produce amazing angles.

There used to be a slow motion clip on youtube of her slice backhand. An exercise in perfection.

Justine's timing is IMPECCABLE. SHe is the only tennis player I have ever seen (MALE OR FEMALE) hit a one handed backhand SWINGING VOLLEY. That shot was :eek: :worship:

My vote DEFINITELY goes to Justine!!!

Single handers produce better slice - I'll agree with this. Justine has one of, if not the best, slices on tour, yes. I've seen Justine hit a backhand swinging volley like, twice. Double handers use this effectively all the time.

Yellow Moon
Dec 24th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Justine:worship: :worship:

That's right, Justine, without a hint of doubt :yeah: .

Tenis Srbija
Dec 24th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Jelena Jankovic (not to mention others) do this just as well now. Look at how Jelena embarassed Venus with this very shot at wimbledon and did the same thing to her sister not too long after.

Venus doesn't have a monopoly on up the line shots. Especially because she won't close her stance and hit through the shot. That alone is why Jelena Jankovic's backhand down-the-line is so effective, not to mention how early she takes it and redirects it.

Venus's backhand right now is not even top 5.

That's right... JJ has magnificent BH down the line :)

Dunlop1
Dec 24th, 2006, 08:34 PM
The USO this year - semi-final for a set and a half. Parts of the final. :shrug: Serena Williams Wimbledon 2003. It's an opinion, you can't prove or disprove whether Justine was overpowered in a match.

By your own admission, your previous statement is therefore just a spurious claim and not one based in fact. Thanks for clearing that up.

Just like the best double handers - I don't think so. Why post a clip of Justine returning Hantuchova's shit serve on a grass court? I'm not saying she can't hit winners or open up the court with it.

By your own admission Justine can hit winners and open up the court and return flat serves over 100mph for clean winners off her backhand side (on a grass court no less)

Good double handers have no trouble producing angles - Serena Williams, Martina Hingis and Jelena Jankovic at their best can all produce amazing angles.

Ok so Justine can produce angles just like good double handers at their best.

I've seen Justine hit a backhand swinging volley like, twice. Double handers use this effectively all the time.

So Justine can hit a 1hbh swinging volley (the timing of which is MUCH harder and MUCH less forgiving than for the 2 hander) well AS WELL AS the traditional volleys off the backhand BETTER than the 2 handers.

Single handers produce better slice - I'll agree with this. Justine has one of, if not the best, slices on tour, yes.

Justine ALSO has a BETTER slice than the good 2 handers.

It seems from your post that more people should be voting for Justine and not less :shrug:

geko
Dec 24th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I personally think Venus has the best backhand. In terms of power, accuracy,and consistency. I also think Serena's backhand is second to Venus's. Some of the angles she gets are insane :D !

Craigy
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Your avatar is of Serena's followthrough after hitting a FOREHAND :rolleyes:

If you can't tell from a pic if someone is hitting a forehand or a backhand how can you say Serena's BH is the best? That's right, you can't. :wavey:

ALLEZ JUJU!!!!

Because she changed her avatar :weirdo: So before you attack her why don't you take that into consideration :wavey:

The Daviator
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Venus :)

Tennis-Chick
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Venus

!<blocparty>!
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:05 PM
By your own admission, your previous statement is therefore just a spurious claim and not one based in fact. Thanks for clearing that up.

By your own admission Justine can hit winners and open up the court and return flat serves over 100mph for clean winners off her backhand side (on a grass court no less)

Ok so Justine can produce angles just like good double handers at their best.

So Justine can hit a 1hbh swinging volley (the timing of which is MUCH harder and MUCH less forgiving than for the 2 hander) well AS WELL AS the traditional volleys off the backhand BETTER than the 2 handers.

Justine ALSO has a BETTER slice than the good 2 handers.

It seems from your post that more people should be voting for Justine and not less :shrug:

Lolz. Let me make this simple for you. My post was trying to say double handers can do most of the things you mentioned as well as if not better than Justine. Minus slice, and single handed backhand DV's - which double handers use much more effectively anyway. So, no - more people should not be voting Justine from that post. :weirdo:

Have a good Christmas. :D

shap_half
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:39 PM
The USO this year - semi-final for a set and a half. Parts of the final. :shrug: Serena Williams Wimbledon 2003. It's an opinion, you can't prove or disprove whether Justine was overpowered in a match. My opinion is Justine's backhand struggles (or would struggle) against a powerful double hander playing well like Jankovic, Venus, Serena, Maria on a non-clay surface.

Is that why Justine's backhand was producing sooo many winners against Maria at YEC. Some of those BHs were hit so casually, too, I wonder why people keep saying her BH is often overpowered. If you're playing on a fast surface and you're playing against someone who consistently hit overpowering backhands, you will get overpowered. It doesn't matter if you're Justine, Maria, JJ, Serena, or Jesus.

But Justine doesn't need to be at her best to produce angled backhands almost consistently. That's just how her game is.

Single handers produce better slice - I'll agree with this. Justine has one of, if not the best, slices on tour, yes. I've seen Justine hit a backhand swinging volley like, twice. Double handers use this effectively all the time.

A swinging volley isn't a volley. It's awful. It's almost a groundstroke. Have you seen Amelie hit a swinging volley? Both Justine and Amelie, arguably the best volleyers on the tour, hardly use a swinging volley, and that shouldn't go against them. Justine's volleys are technically precise and perfectly timed, that's about more important than how many swinging volleys she can churn out.

shap_half
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:43 PM
My vote goes to Justine. and then Myskina.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Is that why Justine's backhand was producing sooo many winners against Maria at YEC. Some of those BHs were hit so casually, too, I wonder why people keep saying her BH is often overpowered. If you're playing on a fast surface and you're playing against someone who consistently hit overpowering backhands, you will get overpowered. It doesn't matter if you're Justine, Maria, JJ, Serena, or Jesus.

But Justine doesn't need to be at her best to produce angled backhands almost consistently. That's just how her game is.

A swinging volley isn't a volley. It's awful. It's almost a groundstroke. Have you seen Amelie hit a swinging volley? Both Justine and Amelie, arguably the best volleyers on the tour, hardly use a swinging volley, and that shouldn't go against them. Justine's volleys are technically precise and perfectly timed, that's about more important than how many swinging volleys she can churn out.

I'm not saying her backhand is often overpowered, because it's not. It's one of the best backhands on tour. I'm saying when she comes up against a good double hander playing reasonably well, her backhand just isn't as good. :shrug: And you talk about one match - before the YEC I hadn't seen Justine hit her backhand quite like that since parts of RG 2005 and the beginning of 2004. It happens, but not very often.

Just like the others, Justine needs to be playing well to hit them effectively. On an off day they can be :tape:.

That Dunlop person was saying how amazing Justine's swinging volley was and I was saying the double handers do it much better... which is true. I wasn't talking about netplay.

No Name Face
Dec 24th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I said Serena. Followed by Venus and Justine.

saki
Dec 24th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I love Justine and her backhand - especially her backhand volleys - I think she has the most versatile backhand in the game, she can actually do anything with it.

But.. at the moment, at least, I think Jankovic's backhand is more deadly. All you can do is try not to hit it to her backhand side, it's that sweet a shot. Myskina's is also lovely when she's in form.

hingisGOAT
Dec 24th, 2006, 11:49 PM
:weirdo: thread

not quite as bad as the forehand thread, where mary pierce trumped graf and capriati, but still :weirdo:

SzavayFi
Dec 25th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Nicole Vaidisova for sure!

Derek I told you to lay off those harder drugs. :smoke: ;)

hingis2002cn
Dec 25th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Hingis

supergrunt
Dec 25th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Heylookimgay, I am sorry that I did not put Hingis as an option.. I thought that no one would pick her because she does not have a power game :shrug:

hingisGOAT
Dec 25th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Heylookimgay, I am sorry that I did not put Hingis as an option.. I thought that no one would pick her because she does not have a power game :shrug:

it's okay :wavey: as a hingis fan i'm used to people under-estimating her arsenal of shots. ;) and you're right, even if she was on the poll, people would still post ridiculous names like nicole vaidisova

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 25th, 2006, 01:00 AM

like craig said, the williams sisters, especially serena, don't just bludgeon the ball. while their non-bludgeoning shots ARE less effective than justines, they can still mix it up, especially serena.

Dunlop1
Dec 25th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I'm not saying her backhand is often overpowered, because it's not. It's one of the best backhands on tour. I'm saying when she comes up against a good double hander playing reasonably well, her backhand just isn't as good.

Let me refresh your memory:

If an opponent with a great double hander is having an 'on' day... they can totally overpower her on that side IMO.

:tape:

And you talk about one match - before the YEC I hadn't seen Justine hit her backhand quite like that since parts of RG 2005 and the beginning of 2004. It happens, but not very often.

You haven't been paying attention. Justine has been hitting insane backhands since she was a junior. The tennis cognoscenti have been raving about it for years now. Where have you been?

That Dunlop person was saying how amazing Justine's swinging volley was and I was saying the double handers do it much better... which is true. I wasn't talking about netplay.

Ok, try and use some common sense. The drive volley is a very hard shot to master with a one handed backhand. I already stated this. My point in bringing it up was to show that, Justine has mastered this shot and can hit it just as effectively as any 2 hander. This goes to the level of talent she has on the backhand side.

Now, the drive volley is a low percentage option for a one hander as opposed to a traditional volley which is why you will rarely see Justine/Amelie/Federer/Haas/Blake hit a drive volley. Rather they will stick it to the traditional backhand volley to put away the ball. A lot of 2 handers opt for this as well.

The position of the left hand on the 2 handed backhand makes the drive volley a much easier shot to execute for 2 handers. This is what makes Justine's drive volley so good. The amount of talent and innate timing she possesses that allows her hit this shot as well as her 2 handed peers.

OBVIOUSLY A 1HANDED PLAYER WILL NOT HIT THE DRIVE VOLLEY NEARLY AS MUCH AS A 2 HANDED PLAYER.THAT GOES WITHOUT SAYING!

I am yet to watch a match where Justine was overpowered on the backhand side. That, is just complete BS. In the Wimbledon 03 SF, it was not Justine's backhand that let her down. Serena played incredibly aggressive tennis, which for the most part Justine didn't have an answer too. She sort of did around the middle of the 1st set but couldn't maintain it.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 25th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Let me refresh your memory:

:tape:

You haven't been paying attention. Justine has been hitting insane backhands since she was a junior. The tennis cognoscenti have been raving about it for years now. Where have you been?

Ok, try and use some common sense. The drive volley is a very hard shot to master with a one handed backhand. I already stated this. My point in bringing it up was to show that, Justine has mastered this shot and can hit it just as effectively as any 2 hander. This goes to the level of talent she has on the backhand side.

Now, the drive volley is a low percentage option for a one hander as opposed to a traditional volley which is why you will rarely see Justine/Amelie/Federer/Haas/Blake hit a drive volley. Rather they will stick it to the traditional backhand volley to put away the ball. A lot of 2 handers opt for this as well.

The position of the left hand on the 2 handed backhand makes the drive volley a much easier shot to execute for 2 handers. This is what makes Justine's drive volley so good. The amount of talent and innate timing she possesses that allows her hit this shot as well as her 2 handed peers.

OBVIOUSLY A 1HANDED PLAYER WILL NOT HIT THE DRIVE VOLLEY NEARLY AS MUCH AS A 2 HANDED PLAYER.THAT GOES WITHOUT SAYING!

I am yet to watch a match where Justine was overpowered on the backhand side. That, is just complete BS. In the Wimbledon 03 SF, it was not Justine's backhand that let her down. Serena played incredibly aggressive tennis, which for the most part Justine didn't have an answer too. She sort of did around the middle of the 1st set but couldn't maintain it.

1. Please read things properly. "I'm not saying her backhand is OFTEN overpowered". OFTEN. OFTEN. DO YOU SEE?!
2. Justine's backhand against Maria at the YEC was a rarity. You do not see her hitting over it like that match after match.
3. OK, she can hit a drive volley... a) she never even uses it b) double handers do it just as 'effectively' c) the fact that she can hit it doesn't make her backhand any better than a double-handed one. So, why are you even talking about it.
4.The last paragraph - it's complete :bs::)

!<blocparty>!
Dec 25th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Oh, I forgot.

Justine has said herself that the forehand is her best shot. :)

Atrixo
Dec 25th, 2006, 03:01 AM
In my opinion,

Best two-handed backhand = Maria S. (accuracy/consistency) or Jelena Jankovic (power/depth)

Best one-handed backhand = Justine (power/depth) or Amelie (slice/touch)

Dunlop1
Dec 25th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Oh, I forgot.

Justine has said herself that the forehand is her best shot. :)

Simple high school logic.

How does Justine saying her forehand is her best shot, preclude her backhand from being the best in women's tennis currently?

cartmancop
Dec 25th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I find it hard to compare 1handed bhs and 2 handed bhs... They are just very different strokes each with pros and cons...

so my picks are divided:)
1 handed- JHH, hands down (totally didn't mean to bring up the 'hand' thing, it just happened and was too irresistible to not leave :lol:)

2 handed- Tie b/w Hingis (best technique, versatility for a 2 handed bh, she can do it all with her bh...) & Venus (most lethal 2 handed bh)

goseles
Dec 25th, 2006, 04:15 AM
I voted Serena, but obviously any of the listed girls would qualify... didn't read all 6 pages, but here are a couple names to throw out there if they haven't been already: Hantuchova and Chanda Rubin. Not saying they have superior backhands, just really good ones.

Derek.
Dec 25th, 2006, 04:28 AM
In my opinion,

Best two-handed backhand = Maria S. (accuracy/consistency) or Jelena Jankovic (power/depth)

Sharapova hits her backhand harder and deeper than Jankovic.

Jankovic's backhand is more about placement really.

Atrixo
Dec 25th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Sharapova hits her backhand harder and deeper than Jankovic.

Jankovic's backhand is more about placement really.

Really? I was really impressed with Jankovic's backhand at the US Open. She was really hitting the clock out of the ball with her backhand. I kinda got the impression that it was pretty powerful.

Because Maria puts more spin on the ball with her backhand now, it's no doubt more consistent and accurate; but it also looks less powerful somehow. When she won Wimbledon in 2004, she hit a lot flatter; and it looked far more powerful than it does now.

Oh well... :confused:

hwanmig
Dec 25th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Justine, this is basically the only thing i like about her.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Dec 25th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Double hander - Jankovic.

Single hander - JHH.

SonyaCengiz
Dec 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM
My opinion is that Jelena jankovic has the best backhand

Mina Vagante
Dec 25th, 2006, 11:57 AM
My opinion is that Jelena jankovic has the best backhand
MERRY XMAS every1-sorry just had to say that- yeh her bk is VERY good but not the best, her bk down the line is the best though i think:bounce:

SoClose
Dec 25th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Venus

ste86
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Single hander - Francesca Schiavone
Double hander - Serena Williams

Beny
Dec 26th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Where`s Nastya?? Her BH is better than Kim`s or Venus`

mirzalover
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:56 PM

no its not

Nicolás89
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:09 PM

is way more better than kim but better than venus:scared:

selyoink
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Justine for sure.

LucasArg
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Justine with one hand.

Venus with two hands.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 27th, 2006, 05:22 AM
^ agreed :wavey:

Shimizu Amon
Dec 27th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I voted Justine.

Stamp Paid
Dec 27th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Venus Williams had at her peak a devastating backhand.
Now, due to injuries, not so much.

vwfan
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Venus!:cool: