PDA

View Full Version : Marina Erakovic, Sacha Jones nominated for a top New Zealand sports award

kittyking
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:45 AM
Halberg Sports Awards

Emerging Talent Award

Shane Archbold (cycling), Michael Arms (rowing), Kylie Avery (equestrian), Ramona Belmont (billiard sport), Sam Blenkinsop (mountain biking), Hamish Bond (rowing), Nathan Cohen (rowing), Cameron Cole (mountain biking), Niki-Lee Crawford (rowing), Lauren Ellis (cycling), Marina Erakovic (tennis), Hayden Fitzgerald (motorcycling), Westley Gough (cycling), Brad Groombridge (motocross), Jessica Hamill (paralympics), Sacha Jones (tennis), Graham Oberlin-Brown (rowing), Katherine Prumm (motorcycling), Shem Rodger (cycling), Jesse Sergent (cycling) Sam Smith (motorcycling), Rebecca Spence (multi-sport), Emma Twigg (rowing), Sarah Walker (cycling), Natalie Wiegersma (swimming).

The finalists for this award will be announced on January 1st (the same day that the ASB Classic starts where they both have MDWCs), with the winner announced on February 15.

I thought Marina Erakovic wouldnt actually be eligable to get the Emerging Talent Award as shes been a final nominee for it before along with being a top 5 finalist for the Kia Sportswoman of the year award a few years ago.
Awesome to see Sacha there too. Both of these stunning sportswoman will hopefully be a finalist.

Привет
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:53 AM
What the Hell? No netball girls for emerging talent, when New Zealand has the best netball team in the world, that's a little bit screwed. Good Luck to Sacha & Marina though, hopefully both of them can find succes, it would be great for New Zealand to have some top players.

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:06 AM
What the Hell? No netball girls for emerging talent, when New Zealand has the best netball team in the world, that's a little bit screwed. Good Luck to Sacha & Marina though, hopefully both of them can find succes, it would be great for New Zealand to have some top players.

That's exactly what I was thinking. :confused:

Where's Mara Tutaia, Laura Langman, Casey Williams, etc.

.Andrew.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:12 AM
Uhh... Hoorah? :confused: :wavey:

Привет
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:15 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. :confused:

Where's Mara Tutaia, Laura Langman, Casey Williams, etc.

Maria Tutaia is their second best shooter, Laura Langman is a crafty mid court player. Casey Williams :confused: She plays defence doesn't she? I can't remember much about her but I always watch the Australia/New Zealand tests, and some of these young girls definitely deserve to be up for this award.

kittyking
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:17 AM
There are a few netballers down for best sportswoman award :)

Heres the list for that

Sportswoman of the Year

Nicole Begg (speed skating), Ramona Belmont (billiard sport), Nikki Cox (surf lifesaving), Temepara George (netball), Andrea Hewitt (triathlon), Rosara Joseph (cycling), Joanne Kiesanowski (cycling), Shelley Kitchen (squash), Joanna Lawn (triathlon), Kate McIlroy (athletics), Angela McKee ( athletics), Hannah McLean (swimming), Phillis Meti (golf), Farah Palmer (rugby), Anna Richards (rugby), Rebecca Spence (cycling), Debbie Tanner (triathlon), Paula Tesoriero (paralympics), Sarah Ulmer (cycling), Irene van Dyk (netball), Valerie Vili (athletics), Sam Warriner (triathlon).

kittyking
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:19 AM
Good Luck to Sacha & Marina though, hopefully both of them can find succes, it would be great for New Zealand to have some top players.

I agree, we havent had a great womens tennis player since the 80s

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:22 AM
Maria Tutaia is their second best shooter, Laura Langman is a crafty mid court player. Casey Williams :confused: She plays defence doesn't she? I can't remember much about her but I always watch the Australia/New Zealand tests, and some of these young girls definitely deserve to be up for this award.

Maria is :hearts:

When Van Dyk eventually goes, she's definitely going to be their #1 along with Jodie Te Huna.

Yeah, Casey mainly plays GD. There was a lot of hype around her following this year's National Bank Cup, where she was named MVP. But she's been injured lately (missed the last test series against AUS).

Laura is adorable too, with her trademark knee-high socks. :lol:

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:25 AM
There are a few netballers down for best sportswoman award :)

Heres the list for that

Sportswoman of the Year

Nicole Begg (speed skating), Ramona Belmont (billiard sport), Nikki Cox (surf lifesaving), Temepara George (netball), Andrea Hewitt (triathlon), Rosara Joseph (cycling), Joanne Kiesanowski (cycling), Shelley Kitchen (squash), Joanna Lawn (triathlon), Kate McIlroy (athletics), Angela McKee ( athletics), Hannah McLean (swimming), Phillis Meti (golf), Farah Palmer (rugby), Anna Richards (rugby), Rebecca Spence (cycling), Debbie Tanner (triathlon), Paula Tesoriero (paralympics), Sarah Ulmer (cycling), Irene van Dyk (netball), Valerie Vili (athletics), Sam Warriner (triathlon).

Temepara :hearts:

If Anna Scarlett had stopped sucking and didn't receive so much criticsm she might have been nominated too. :sad:

kittyking
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:28 AM
Temepara :hearts:

If Anna Scarlett had stopped sucking and didn't receive so much criticsm she might have been nominated too. :sad:

Ever since Julie retired Annas definately been one of my favourites (along with everyone in or formerly in the Canterbury Flames)

kittyking
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:30 AM
Just saw that New Zealands been handed hosting rights for the Netball World Cup next year!!!
Hopefully it will be in Christchurch again!!!

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:31 AM
Ever since Julie retired Annas definately been one of my favourites (along with everyone in or formerly in the Canterbury Flames)

Julie Seymour?

I like Anna too. :hearts:

She's definitely my favorite. I couldn't believe how much flack she was getting for her defending style, particulary over here from the AUS commentators. :sad:

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:34 AM
Just saw that New Zealands been handed hosting rights for the Netball World Cup next year!!!
Hopefully it will be in Christchurch again!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I thought they'd be in with a great shot, although it still does suck for Fiji though. Just bad timing. :shrug:

This pretty much guarentees another World Championship for NZL. :woohoo: There's no way Australia is winning this.

Watch out for Jamaica though, they looked really good in the Comm games.

kittyking
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:36 AM
Julie Seymour?

I like Anna too. :hearts:

She's definitely my favorite. I couldn't believe how much flack she was getting for her defending style, particulary over here from the AUS commentators. :sad:

Yup, I remember when I was younger I always used to ask my father if he could marry her (even though he was married to my mother at the time) :tape:

Anna is one off if not our best volleyball player so defending comes naturally, its not exactly normal netball defending what she does but its very effective at its best (I saw a game where she got about a dozen steals in one quarter alone).

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:43 AM
Yup, I remember when I was younger I always used to ask my father if he could marry her (even though he was married to my mother at the time) :tape:

Anna is one off if not our best volleyball player so defending comes naturally, its not exactly normal netball defending what she does but its very effective at its best (I saw a game where she got about a dozen steals in one quarter alone).

:lol:

Yeah, I remember reading that she's a handy volleyball player.

She's definitely can turn the tide of a game with her flashy play. I remember when Ruth Aitken put her on for the last few minutes of the deciding test against AUS, but, by then, it was too late. :mad:

What do you think the starting line up will look like with Davu now gone?

Oh, and what ever happened to Donna Loffhagen? :confused: Any chance of her ever coming back to play for the Silver Ferns?

kittyking
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:47 AM
:lol:

Yeah, I remember reading that she's a handy volleyball player.

She's definitely can turn the tide of a game with her flashy play. I remember when Ruth Aitken put her on for the last few minutes of the deciding test against AUS, but, by then, it was too late. :mad:

What do you think the starting line up will look like with Davu now gone?

Oh, and what ever happened to Donna Loffhagen? :confused: Any chance of her ever coming back to play for the Silver Ferns?

Its so sad that Davus gone, she was New Zealands best ever GK. It leaves a massive whole in the lineup (Scarlett is one of our best GDs but maybe she will move to GK?)

Donna Loffhagen retired a few years back to play Basketball fulltime instead

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:53 AM
Its so sad that Davus gone, she was New Zealands best ever GK. It leaves a massive whole in the lineup (Scarlett is one of our best GDs but maybe she will move to GK?)

Donna Loffhagen retired a few years back to play Basketball fulltime instead

I know. I will miss her physical contests with Cox and McMahon. :lol:

I though Leana de Bruin played really well in the last test series. Maybe she could start at keeper, with Anna/Casey at GD.

Yeah, I remember seeing Donna at the Comm games. I thought she came back to play a few games for the Sting though? Which is why I got my hopes up. :sad:

New Zealand would nearly be impossible to beat with Loffhagen at GA, and Van Dyk at GS. :eek:

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:57 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/03/26/netscarlettstretch_gallery__266x400.jpg

Anna. :hearts:

kittyking
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:02 AM
http://media.apn.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/30AnnaScarlett.JPG

Anna Scarlett

kittyking
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:04 AM
I know. I will miss her physical contests with Cox and McMahon. :lol:

I though Leana de Bruin played really well in the last test series. Maybe she could start at keeper, with Anna/Casey at GD.

Yeah, I remember seeing Donna at the Comm games. I thought she came back to play a few games for the Sting though? Which is why I got my hopes up. :sad:

New Zealand would nearly be impossible to beat with Loffhagen at GA, and Van Dyk at GS. :eek:

Ever since Anna started playing worse McMahon started playing better

Id be more of fan of Leana playing GK with Anna playing GD rather than Casey coming on at GK.

From what I understand she retired from international netball, so this meant that she could still play at a national level if she wanted too

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:11 AM
Ever since Anna started playing worse McMahon started playing better

Id be more of fan of Leana playing GK with Anna playing GD rather than Casey coming on at GK.

From what I understand she retired from international netball, so this meant that she could still play at a national level if she wanted too

Yeah, the last test series McMahon played really well. I guess Australia finally figured out she's better at GS against NZL.

I still find it a bit of a snub towards Cox though. IMO she's still Australia's best shooter. She regulary tops the Commonwealth Bank Trophy's leading goal scorers, but yet she barely gets court time against NZL anymore.

Leana would be good at GK, except I'd fear that McMahon would be too quick for her and she wouldn't have an impact. The key would be shutting down Pratley at GA. When she's out of the game, that's when it's all on McMahon, and as good as she is, she can't do it all by herself.

It's such a shame. Donna and Irene would've been like the impenetrable fortress. :(

kittyking
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:17 AM
This thread has so gone offtopic :lol:

Привет
Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:50 AM
Leana would be good at GK, except I'd fear that McMahon would be too quick for her and she wouldn't have an impact. The key would be shutting down Pratley at GA. When she's out of the game, that's when it's all on McMahon, and as good as she is, she can't do it all by herself.

Although McMahon is speedy, Leana is pretty fast on her feet for a defender. I really like watching DeBruijn play. And what is this about Davu? Has she retired? :( :mad: I love how physical she is, and wasn't there talk about her maybe returning to Fijian netball to help build their team. I'll be shitty if she has retired.

pav
Dec 23rd, 2006, 08:57 AM
Even though I'm a Kiwi, I really admire Sharelle McMahon, she is a great little athlete, I love watching the looks on her face when she is giving or receiving a bit of biff.

kittyking
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:09 AM
Even though I'm a Kiwi, I really admire Sharelle McMahon, she is a great little athlete, I love watching the looks on her face when she is giving or receiving a bit of biff.

Same