PDA

View Full Version : Who are you surprised did not win a title in '06?

alwayshingis
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
I would say that I assumed Schnyder would win some Tier II or III at some point along the line. When the year started I was also pretty sure that Schiavone would get her first title this year, but she did not. Who else did you assume would win a title in 2006 but did not?

The Dawntreader
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:24 PM
Safina, considering she won 3 last year. I suppose being at a higher level, less chance of raking up the titles. Should've won the ordina Open though:rolleyes: :lol:

spencercarlos
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
Venus and Serena, they have the talent to be grand slam champions let alone to win any title on any given year.

The Dawntreader
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM
Venus and Serena, they have the talent to be grand slam champions let alone to win any title on any given year.

I really expected Venus to win Rome:sad:

And Serena to win LA after maria's departure:sad:

*sigh*

Craigy
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM
Tati :sad:

Lulu.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:36 PM
I really expected Serena to win Cincy and LA but oh well next year will be better. Tati also but she got really close

dorotek23
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:41 PM
Tatiana
Dinara
Nastya
Lindsay

iPatty
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Patty.

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:47 PM
Daniela for sure.. she was playing so well at the end of 05 but did nothing! :mad: :sobbing:

RR-87
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:59 PM
I expected Myskina winning at least Stockholm :awww:

Tenis Srbija
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:05 PM
I'm really suprised no one said JELENA JANKOVIĆ. She had smashing second part of this year, got to US Open semis, one Tier I final, loads of semis... And she is 12. in the world...

Leo_DFP
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:09 PM
Davenport! Before the year I thought she would win plenty, including a GS.

Leo_DFP
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
Daniela for sure.. she was playing so well at the end of 05 but did nothing! :mad: :sobbing:

That's not true. This was her most consistent year in the Slams since 2002!

alwayshingis
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:12 PM
This also helps us revist the best player to have never won a title question. Is it still widely agreed that it is Schiavone? Or would you say Golovin? Or someone else?

LUXXXAS
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Lindsay Venus Serena Schnyder

The Daviator
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Lindsay :sad: She should have won Bali :o

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
This also helps us revist the best player to have never won a title question. Is it still widely agreed that it is Schiavone? Or would you say Golovin? Or someone else?

Based on the Slams performance, rankings and overall results it's Francesca, no doubt. With her résumé it's almost a crime that she hasn't won a title so far.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:25 PM
Lindsay :sad: She should have won Bali :o

I will say I didn't expect Lindsay to collapse as much as she did. :sad:
But at the very least, she should have won Bali.

Slampova
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:27 AM
Golovin :(
And at the start of the season I thought we may have seen Kirilenko get title No.2 but from the Fed Cup onwards things started going downhill for her :( I really hope she gets back on form this season :hearts:

TheAllan
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:28 AM
Galina Voskoboeva. Cause she's tall and thingies and stuffies.

austennis
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:28 AM
Golovin, Jankovic and Stouser

AJZ.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:38 AM
Sugi!! She played so well post-Montreal...

.Andrew.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:43 AM
Venus or Serena--- With their game and skill, they always should be able to grab a title. Mostly because they both weren't healthy for most of the year. Serena almost winning LA and Cincinatti and Venus coming close at Rome.

Schnyder and Safina. I think that they both didn't win a title this year :confused: I'm pretty sure about Safina, but not Schnyder... Even though they both had a pretty good year.

Ben.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:00 AM
Schnyder, thought she would win at least one title at Tier III level & her best chance really was at Gold Coast Strasbourg & Cincinnati when she was the Top Seed & just didn't capitalize. Luckily she finished in the Top 10 even without a title.

Jankovic, the form she had in latter stages of the season I would of thought she could of won one at least at Tier III level. her best chances were at Guangzhou & Quebec City where she retired at both of these events in the semis due to injury or illness as the Top seed.

Safina was another one since she reached two 2 slam QF & had plenty of consistent results to back it up but no title :confused: Schiavone was another one also that surprised me.

darrinbaker00
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:03 AM
You can't win if you don't play, my friend. ;)

ctan88
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:07 AM
Sugiyama should have won Seoul, Myskina should have won at least Istanbul and Stockholm (and was so close in Eastbourne) and Tatiana should have beaten Petrova at Filderstadt ...

P_Fer
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:07 AM
Tati, Gisela and Patty

Havok
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:20 AM
Golovin, Schnyder, Schiavone, Davenport.

I would put Venus and Serena down, but they rarely played and when they did, played very sub-par tennis from what we're used to. I was so sure Golovin was gonna win a title, but injuries got the best of her and Petrova :fiery:. Schiavone as well was a big surprise as was Davenport, but then again who would have thought that she was gonna miss that much of the season this year. Schnyder I thought was also an obvious title winner. Nothing above a Tier II obviously (she's not THAT good to beat top player after top player) but she usually plays some lower tier events and I thought she would have won at least one this year.

1star
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:48 AM
LI Na for sure.

She won her first title in 2004 Guangzhou Open, a few months after her comeback from a layoff of two years.

But since she rejoined the national team in 2005, she hasnt won a title yet.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:47 AM
Tatiana
Dinara
Mary
Lindsay
Venus
Serena
Jankovic

brayster87
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:53 AM
I will say I didn't expect Lindsay to collapse as much as she did. :sad:
But at the very least, she should have won Bali.

i would also agree with you....:worship:

jazar
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:22 PM
francesca schiavone. one day.......?

Mina Vagante
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:58 PM
i expected serena to win cincinnati, the draw wasnt that hard for serena and after reading a match review of her 1st match with myskina i really though that she would win the tourney

Davenselesport
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Jankovic
Davenport
Schnyder
Myskina

RJWCapriati
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:18 PM
Venus, Patty, Fran, definitely Lindsay

Tenis Srbija
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:37 PM
I forgot to say Lindsay... :bigcry: :bigcry:

PatrickRyan
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:44 PM
tati, serena, venus, myskina, Maria k, lindsay

Wayn77
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Patty :sad:

Viktymise
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Vee :bigcry:

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:56 PM
I haven't expected much from Myskina this season but losing the finals to Peer :eek: and Zheng :help: is a bit of :weirdo: if not to say more...

Wayn77
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
I haven't expected much from Myskina this season but losing the finals to Peer :eek: and Zheng :help: is a bit of :weirdo: if not to say more...

not forgetting Eastbourne against Henin-Hardenne :bigcry: :bigcry:

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
not forgetting Eastbourne against Henin-Hardenne :bigcry: :bigcry:

there's nothing to be ashamed of when you lose to the great player in the 3rd set tiebreak but when a former Slam champion loses finals at Tiers III and IV to... let say lower-ranked players... :sad:

Wayn77
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:05 PM
there's nothing to be ashamed when you lose to the great player in the 3rd set tiebreak but when a former Slam champion loses finals at Tiers III and IV to... let say lower-ranked players... :sad:

wouldn't call it shame - far from it. It just hurt when she was a break up in the third set and playing so damn well.

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
wouldn't call it shame - far from it. It just hurt when she was a break up in the third set and playing so damn well.

I don't think being 1-0 and 2-1 up even with break is such a big advantage.

rocksania
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:23 PM
SANIA MIRZA

She is a very talented player....for not winning a title...

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:36 PM
SANIA MIRZA

Where is $? :lol:

HenryMag.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:02 PM
Patty...I expected the title in cincinnati...and Myskina in Stockholm

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:06 PM
Serena @ LA and Cinc. (but she ran out of steam in both SF :sad: )
Venus @ Rome (after that 6-0 first set...:unsure: but it went downhill from there :sad: )
Jelena @ Quebec City...I mean...COME ON! (I lost 1900 v-cash on her :fiery: )
Myskina @ Stockholm ( :sad: she and James would have won a title together ;) )

Viktymise
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:09 PM
I was suprised Tszveti Pironkova didnt win Stockholm, i thought she was going to do it after beating Na in straights, i had a good feeling but Zheng played really well against her in the semi's i knew the winner of that semi was going to win the whole thing

Fire_Fox
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
Jancovic
Schnyder
Schiavone
Tulyaganova

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:42 PM
I was suprised Tszveti Pironkova didnt win Stockholm, i thought she was going to do it after beating Na in straights, i had a good feeling but Zheng played really well against her in the semi's i knew the winner of that semi was going to win the whole thing

I don't know... I mean I thought Pironkova would be much easier opponent for Myskina. I'm sure Nastya would have crushed her had they met in the final.

Filippo-Nastya
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Nastya :sad:
She was dominating the Istanbul final till 6-1, *3-2 when she started to feel pain in her arm and lost 7 games in a row. It was the turning point of that match.
In Stockholm I didn't expect such a bad loss against Zheng.

SAEKeithSerena
Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
Davenport.