PDA

View Full Version : According to ESPN Tennis is #7 on the list of most difficult sports!

tenn_ace
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Here is a link to the report which was based on the following criteria. If anyone knows how to post tables feel free doing it

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

ENDURANCE: The ability to continue to perform a skill or action for long periods of time. Example: Lance Armstrong
STRENGTH: The ability to produce force. Example: NFL linebackers.
POWER: The ability to produce strength in the shortest possible time. Example: Barry Bonds.
SPEED: The ability to move quickly. Example: Marion Jones, Maurice Green.
AGILITY: The ability to change direction quickly. Example: Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm.
FLEXIBILITY: The ability to stretch the joints across a large range of motion. Example: Gymnasts, divers.
NERVE: The ability to overcome fear. Example: High-board divers, race-car drivers, ski jumpers.
DURABILITY: The ability to withstand physical punishment over a long period of time. Example: NBA/NHL players.
HAND-EYE COORDINATION: The ability to react quickly to sensory perception. Example: A hitter reacting to a breaking pitch; a drag racer timing acceleration to the green light.
ANALYTIC APTITUDE: The ability to evaluate and react appropriately to strategic situations. Example: Joe Montana reading a defense; basketball point guard on a fast break.

LudwigDvorak
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:01 PM
I knew they'd underexaggerate overcoming nerve. That's such a big problem with so many players.

tenn_ace
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:04 PM
I knew they'd underexaggerate overcoming nerve. That's such a big problem with so many players.

But according to them the nerve should be associated with fear basically... Real fear like heights, being hit by a bull, etc.

Viktymise
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:06 PM
Here is a link to the report which was based on the following criteria. If anyone knows how to post tables feel free doing it

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

ENDURANCE: The ability to continue to perform a skill or action for long periods of time. Example: Lance Armstrong
STRENGTH: The ability to produce force. Example: NFL linebackers.
POWER: The ability to produce strength in the shortest possible time. Example: Barry Bonds.
SPEED: The ability to move quickly. Example: Marion Jones, Maurice Green.
AGILITY: The ability to change direction quickly. Example: Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm.
FLEXIBILITY: The ability to stretch the joints across a large range of motion. Example: Gymnasts, divers.
NERVE: The ability to overcome fear. Example: High-board divers, race-car drivers, ski jumpers.
DURABILITY: The ability to withstand physical punishment over a long period of time. Example: NBA/NHL players.
HAND-EYE COORDINATION: The ability to react quickly to sensory perception. Example: A hitter reacting to a breaking pitch; a drag racer timing acceleration to the green light.
ANALYTIC APTITUDE: The ability to evaluate and react appropriately to strategic situations. Example: Joe Montana reading a defense; basketball point guard on a fast break.

wow she's a great example to use :tape:

The Daviator
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:07 PM
Gymnastics and Alpine Skiing seem more difficult to me :unsure:

:lol: at Fishing coming last, I guess sitting on your a*se all day isn't that difficult :lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:07 PM
:lol: yeah, and Barry Bonds too :tape:

tenn_ace
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
well both of them did produce strenght and speed... How they achieved is another matter :p

miffedmax
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
The list looks like it has a distinctly American bias, with our version of football grossly overrated and the real version underrated, especially in the strength and corodination areas.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:42 PM
:worship:

Dementinator
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
soory there is NO WAY football is harder than tennis ,Tennis requires ,nerve ,tactics ,tremendous co ordination ,speed and agility ,plus stamina ,and you are on your own out there ,no team mates to help.

Lets face it ,any hairy assed ape can boot a bag of wind round a field ,lets face it ,Wayne Rooney manages it and hes thicker than shit.

Very few people can become apro tennis player ,it needs a lot of qualities.

Sport aint just about "the physical"

Black Mamba.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Unless you've played the sports you can't comment on how hard each is.

Martian Willow
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
I would have thought it mostly depends who you're competing against.

tenn_ace
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:29 PM
I certainly do think that Rugby is tougher than American football

Craigy
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:38 PM
soory there is NO WAY football is harder than tennis ,Tennis requires ,nerve ,tactics ,tremendous co ordination ,speed and agility ,plus stamina ,and you are on your own out there ,no team mates to help.

Lets face it ,any hairy assed ape can boot a bag of wind round a field ,lets face it ,Wayne Rooney manages it and hes thicker than shit.

Very few people can become apro tennis player ,it needs a lot of qualities.

Sport aint just about "the physical"

I agree...

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:39 PM

hahahah totally

the list doesnt seem the best it could be, but its not horrible by any means.

im kind of glad though that fishing is at the bottom, no offense.

imo... some underrated sports on this list:
gymnastics
rugby
track and field: distance

i think for a lot of the team sports, they are slightly overrated -- a lot of the players don't do much athletically in a game compared to the individuals in individual sports

FaceyFacem
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:40 PM
i think the analytic aptitude grade for tennis is a bit low... which could potentially move it up to #5, other than that i'm ok

Leo_DFP
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:44 PM
This list is ridiculous. Ice hockey is #2 but figure skating is only #19?!

miffedmax
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
hahahah totally

the list doesnt seem the best it could be, but its not horrible by any means.

im kind of glad though that fishing is at the bottom, no offense.

imo... some underrated sports on this list:
gymnastics
rugby
track and field: distance

i think for a lot of the team sports, they are slightly overrated -- a lot of the players don't do much athletically in a game compared to the individuals in individual sports

That's one of my main beefs with American football being ranked so high. Every play is scripted.

Soccer and tennis not only require huge amounts of concentration and instant reaction to constantly changing situations, they require you to do it when you're physically exhausted and knicked and pinged up from playing for an hour or more. Any team sport that allows unlimited substitions, plenty of timeouts, etc. is never going to be as demanding as individual and team sports that don't.

The thing that makes tennis so challenging to me is that its essentially an anaerobic sport (points are relatively short), yet it requires massive endurance to play with matches lasting for hours (hours of actual action, unlike most American sports that stretch 20 minutes of action out for three hours).

I can't speak to all sports, but I have played basketball and football (US). Neither one of them should rank ahead of soccer and tennis.

Black Mamba.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:26 PM
That's one of my main beefs with American football being ranked so high. Every play is scripted.

Soccer and tennis not only require huge amounts of concentration and instant reaction to constantly changing situations, they require you to do it when you're physically exhausted and knicked and pinged up from playing for an hour or more. Any team sport that allows unlimited substitions, plenty of timeouts, etc. is never going to be as demanding as individual and team sports that don't.

The thing that makes tennis so challenging to me is that its essentially an anaerobic sport (points are relatively short), yet it requires massive endurance to play with matches lasting for hours (hours of actual action, unlike most American sports that stretch 20 minutes of action out for three hours).

I can't speak to all sports, but I have played basketball and football (US). Neither one of them should rank ahead of soccer and tennis.

Endurance was only one of the factors they used. Just like any sport it depends on what level you compete at.

LefandePatty
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Badminton #30 :silly:

What a joke.

*hingis_forever*
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:38 PM
Rugby 13 and football 4! :rolleyes: Rugby is MUCH harder! Stupid ESPN. Just putting what the Americans want to see!

Viktymise
Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:16 PM
I honestly think tennis is one of the hardest sports to perfect, i know im biased but i have played alot of sports before i started tennis and its just so tough to get it perfectly, i mean there is just so many different parts that need to be perfected, even if you have brilliant groundies, there is still there serve, volleys etc, you need to be physically in great shape and you use pretty much every body part and can be very tough on the body, plus it requires an immense amount of concentration and tactic too, well its only my opinion anyway :)

-Sonic-
Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
Surprise surprise.....

Joana
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:46 PM
It's obvious that Americans made that list. :lol: Handball, which is one of the most brutal sports around, got only 4.88 for endurance and 3.88 for strength. :spit:

Chris 84
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:55 PM
You can't compare sports in such a manner. The list is just stupid, and so are the criteria.

supergrunt
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:56 PM
Should you really listen to ESPN... the same people that hired MAry Carillo? :scratch:

Jeff
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
This list is bunk....

faboozadoo15
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:49 AM
Badminton #30 :silly:

What a joke.

are you kidding? have you seen what high level badminton looks like? (olympic even) you wouldn't even recognize it compared to the game you play in your backyard.

kittyking
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:00 AM
Its so hard to be a perfect tennis player, I would place tennis on the list at around 4 or 5.
Badminton is alot more intense once you start getting into interclub level - I think it should be around the 15-20 mark not at 30. Also Swimming and Rugby should be higher up the leaderboard while Football and baseball should be outside the top 20

Reuchlin
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:02 AM
Martial arts is very over-rated--- I did it at a high level *jr. national championships* and in my opinion, it doesn't even compare to tennis (which I have also done.) Oh, and table tennis, and swimming are way underrated-- I've done both at a high level...

Black Mamba.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:09 AM
are you kidding? have you seen what high level badminton looks like? (olympic even) you wouldn't even recognize it compared to the game you play in your backyard.

That's my point. There is a huge difference between you or me playing a sport for fun and that sport being played at its highest level.

RJWCapriati
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:47 AM
:rolleyes:

beauty_is_pink
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:50 AM
fishing isn't even a "sport"!
its last okay, but it shouldnt even be on the list! :lol:

komorli
Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:29 AM
they underrated "nerves" IMO. In tennis, you are the only one out there in front of the whole world. It's just YOU. No coach, no team mates (except for doubles), no one to help you solve your problems except you. If you get nervous and have a mental break down because of those nerves or something else, there's no one to help you pick yourself back up except you.

As any decent tennis fan would know, tennis is more than just hitting a ball back and forth across the net.

Alvarillo
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
and synchronised swimming??????????
it's the most difficult!

vswfan
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:26 PM
I think that the writer doesnt play too many sports.
If you play badminton or table tennis, you will realize that they are even harder than most of sports on the list. both need unbelievable speed and great technique. no easier than tennis.

Barbarela
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Gymnastics has to be the most difficult of all! All the criterias are here: the athletes have ENDURANCE, STRENGTH, POWER, SPEED, AGILITY,FLEXIBILITY,
NERVE,DURABILITY,HAND-EYE COORDINATION. To be in the top you'll need to practice 8 hours per day without weekends or holidays!

See these examples!

Tumbling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN4B64FexU8&mode=related&search=

rythmyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiix0XHnmMQ&mode=related&search=

artistic gymnastics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_haSLATFWg&mode=related&search=

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:09 AM
i wonder why espn didnt even include poker and spelling bee :p

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I think that the writer doesnt play too many sports.
If you play badminton or table tennis, you will realize that they are even harder than most of sports on the list. both need unbelievable speed and great technique. no easier than tennis.

they are easier than tennis.

hwanmig
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:13 AM

I know, there basically the same sport but the American version uses pads and helmets :o

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I know, there basically the same sport but the American version uses pads and helmets :o

maybe it is more difficult because u have to carry those heavy armor :lol:

psychoblood
Dec 24th, 2006, 02:31 PM

But in rugby you can only pass BACKWARDS, not all around like in American football... And you can see a lot more rugby players have missing teeth...

Derek.
Dec 24th, 2006, 02:45 PM
i wonder why espn didnt even include poker and spelling bee :p

:haha: :tape:

Uranus
Dec 24th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I do think tennis is one of the most difficult sports because when you've never played before you can't do anything at all.

bmwofoz
Dec 25th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Tennis is harder than it looks, while American Football looks tougher than it is.

I think Australian Football is much tougher than American, for starters they don't wear in padding and helmets.

Wiggly
Dec 25th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Individual sport is always tougher. You're on your OWN.

You're not losing because your team is a bunch of losers and youR'e not winning because there is THE guy who scores all goals:lol:

Water polo is damn tought. A bit tactic but ou've got ot be in perfect shape. Always swimming, moving, legs ALWAYS in action.

silverarrows
Dec 25th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Some people here doesn't know about Formula One(F1). I believe it's one of the most difficult. Maybe the most difficult. They are not just driving a car.

We're talking about G-forces here. ;) Dealing with G-forces is not easy at all. :cool:

The downforce of the car can achieve a lateral force of around 5 G's in cornering. :eek: Consequently in corners the driver's head is pulled sideways with a force equivalent to 25 kilograms. :eek: Such high lateral forces are enough to make breathing difficult and the drivers need supreme concentration to maintain their focus for the 1 to 2 hours that it takes to cover 305 kilometres.

Another thing, the drivers lose 2-3 kilos after each race. :eek: If you're not fit enough, you will not even last half distance of a race. I think F1 drivers are the fittest. :cool:

"Imagine driving the fastest cars on earth, imagine the strain this puts on your body. Fitter than football players and leaner than athletes: racing car drivers possess the most finely tuned bodies on earth." - f1technical.net

And the nerves of these drivers. One wrong move in F1 can cost lives. :cool:

bmwofoz
Dec 25th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Some people here doesn't know about Formula One(F1). I believe it's one of the most difficult. Maybe the most difficult. They are not just driving a car.

We're talking about G-forces here. ;) Dealing with G-forces is not easy at all. :cool:

The downforce of the car can achieve a lateral force of around 5 G's in cornering. :eek: Consequently in corners the driver's head is pulled sideways with a force equivalent to 25 kilograms. :eek: Such high lateral forces are enough to make breathing difficult and the drivers need supreme concentration to maintain their focus for the 1 to 2 hours that it takes to cover 305 kilometres.

Another thing, the drivers lose 2-3 kilos after each race. :eek: If you're not fit enough, you will not even last half distance of a race. I think F1 drivers are the fittest. :cool:

"Imagine driving the fastest cars on earth, imagine the strain this puts on your body. Fitter than football players and leaner than athletes: racing car drivers possess the most finely tuned bodies on earth." - f1technical.net

And the nerves of these drivers. One wrong move in F1 can cost lives. :cool:

I remember when Michael Schmaucher started a communidator said look at his smooth face, in a few years and it won't be that smooth

Darop.
Dec 25th, 2006, 10:29 AM
This list is indeed, quite retarded and poorly done.

Waterpolo, Handball, figure skating, ski jumping, all easier than baseball? :retard:

guyinsf
Dec 25th, 2006, 10:42 PM
This is quite subjective but I also strongly disagree that football being difficult, it's mostly a power game with big buff guys and you always see everbody doing intramurals football, it's widely played and it's not hard at all, I would actually rank it as one of the easiest sports to pick up and master, you would go far with size and strength with football for sure. Basketball is also not difficult, in fact, it's one of the most simple games out there and everybody plays this sport. I would say tennis is quite hard to learn and master, it's more complex and it's an individual sport and there are so many elements to it.

guyinsf
Dec 25th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Figure skating is SUPER HARD and gymnastics, how many people you see do gymnastics as a fun hobby and is good at it? It's probably the hardest sport to try. You're right, this list is totally retarded!!!

guyinsf
Dec 25th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Figure skating is SUPER HARD and gymnastics, how many people you see do gymnastics as a fun hobby and is good at it? It's probably the hardest sport to try. You're right, this list is totally retarded!!!

Morrissey
Dec 25th, 2006, 11:42 PM
European football is very tough because you need hand and eye coordination. You also need to be an amazing athlete the ability to run for over 2 hours on a large field. You need endurance and strength.

goldenlox
Dec 26th, 2006, 01:24 AM
It's impossible to judge which sport is tougher. This is just for fun debates.

DragonFlame
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:51 AM
there should be another category for mental strength or include that in nerve. Tennis should score higher in that then a 3.00. In teamsports mental strength would score a lot lower then in individual sports. Giving tennis more points. I think tennis deserves to be 5th passing martial arts and wrestling at least.

LefandePatty
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:24 AM

That's why I've written the ":silly:" in my post !

Badminton is clearly one of the most difficult sports. It should be easy in top-10 in this list! :mad:

LefandePatty
Dec 26th, 2006, 09:27 AM
they are easier than tennis.

No way.

Beny
Dec 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Where`s biathlon? Or don`t they consider it a sport?? :o

faboozadoo15
Dec 31st, 2006, 08:07 AM

american football has speedier players, bigger men, and it's just different. the conditions football are playerd under are so different. these sports aren't as comparable as people think. the tackling is totally different, the plays, everything. american football is much rougher because of the size disparity and difference between offense and defence. i've played both competitively. even wearing pads, you can incur much worse injurioes in football (american).

faboozadoo15
Dec 31st, 2006, 08:10 AM
That's why I've written the ":silly:" in my post !

Badminton is clearly one of the most difficult sports. It should be easy in top-10 in this list! :mad:

oh, sorry for the misunderstanding then.

but i still think tennis is tougher.

faboozadoo15
Dec 31st, 2006, 08:12 AM
I think Australian Football is much tougher than American, for starters they don't wear in padding and helmets.

:retard: that's like saying track and field is more difficult because you don't wear pads. the tackling and speed in rugby doesn't even come close to the plays used in american football, much less the size disparity.

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 31st, 2006, 08:13 AM
No way.

yes way!

silverarrows
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:47 PM
Formula One drivers could make footballers look like couch potatoes. :cool: