PDA

View Full Version : Ivanovic: ''Stosur can reach the top 10''

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:30 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20963763-23216,00.html

Ivanovic serves Stosur praise

By Paul Malone
December 22, 2006
TENNIS starlet Ana Ivanovic has tipped Queenslander Sam Stosur to race with her towards a top 10 spot next year.
Ivanovic, who soared more than 80 ranking places this year to reach No. 14, is rated by her coach, Australia Fed Cup captain David Taylor, as the best young woman on the tour.

The Serbian teenager could play Stosur in 2007 as early as the Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourt championships, which start at the Gold Coast on Sunday week, after they split the results of their two meetings this year.

Ivanovic has been practising in Sydney for the past week ahead of a season the 19-year-old believes can bring her a maiden grand slam title.
"She (Stosur) is a great player. She has the potential to have a better ranking, the top 20 pretty fast – the top 10, for sure, one day," said Ivanovic, who lost to Stosur at the Australian Open last January before beating her at the French Open four months later.

Stosur is training in Sydney before starting a new coaching association next week with former Australian No. 1 Nicole Bradtke at the Gold Coast.
Bradtke will coach Stosur, 22, at the hometown tournament before guiding her at the Medibank Private International in Sydney and the Australian Open later next month.

Stosur has been hitting at Sydney's White City after a conditioning program under Martina Navratilova's former trainer Giselle Tirado.

Ivanovic, who will be the third seed at the Gold Coast, had wins in 2006 over three top-10 women – world No. 2 Amelie Mauresmo, Gold Coast top seed Martina Hingis and Patty Schnyder.

The Serbian feels she is ready to win a Grand Slam.

"That's what I'm working hard to do. I'm sure quite soon I will reach my goals," Ivanovic said.

Alicia Rocks
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:34 PM
Ana :hearts:

Mina Vagante
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:37 PM
lol:lol: thats funny ana- good joke

Tenis Srbija
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:40 PM
Ana, Ana...nice as always!
But you do know you don't have to talk bullshit :lol: :D

new-york
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:42 PM
ajde.:angel:

:hearts:

jas_aussie
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:44 PM
Ana isnt bulling i think stosur has the game to be top10 she just needs someone to help her put it together

MyskinaManiac
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
Er.. there's truth in what Ana says. But that's my opinion. Ana can win a slam, but please, get a couple more tournament wins, then we should start talking her chances up.

The Stosur thing, well... evey player has potential, Stosur is a hard worker, but only time will tell if she's ready to be a top 20 player not to mention a top 10.

aussy89
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
its nice to know someone whos younger then someone can already start sayin were someone belongs i wounder wt sam thought of this wen she read it, sam does have game for top 20 by end of 07, thats for sure, theres another article on couriermail.com.au with a few more lines saying about her potential for top 10.

pooh14
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:09 PM
ana definitely have a potential to win slams. is whether she reach the potential is something we can see soon

hdfb
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:09 PM
I'm a fan of Ana Ivanovic..... but heck, she is just crapping on. I don't think she is ready to win a grand slam.

tenn_ace
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
so, just like this, out of the blue she decided to give a praise to Sam? :p something has been skipped in this story.

Possibly:
1. they practiced together
2. they are dating
3. Ana's coach talked to Ana to motivate Sam for FedCup
4. Ana's coach told her to say these things

Any other?

TS
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:38 PM
so, just like this, out of the blue she decided to give a praise to Sam? :p something has been skipped in this story.

Possibly:
1. they practiced together
2. they are dating
3. Ana's coach talked to Ana to motivate Sam for FedCup
4. Ana's coach told her to say these things

Any other?

5. She was interviewed by an Aussie journalist.

I think Sam can crack the top 20, but top 10 may be out of her reach.

Just Do It
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
:unsure:

Ana&Jelena Fan
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:45 PM
5. She was interviewed by an Aussie journalist.

I think Sam can crack the top 20, but top 10 may be out of her reach.

6. Maybe Ana is in bad shape, she lost their practice match and she thinks the reason for bad score wasn`t her mistakes but good performance from Sam... :rolleyes:

V-fan
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
Those are very nice words from Ana to say in a statement. But if Stosur wants to reach the top-10, she needs to improve her baseline game. And the competition is very strong too. Ivanovic, Vaidisova, Chakvetadze, Safina,Golovin...they are all fighting for a spot in the top10

©@®eLess
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:11 PM
The are practising together!

Slumpsova
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
thank for a good laugh Ana :lol:

jazar
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:24 PM
stosur definitely ahs the potential to improve her singles ranking. if she learns what the word consistency means and hones her volleying skill some more, she will be a very difficult player to play against. she can definitely reach top 20 and if she was gonna have a go at the top 10 she would have to do it around wimbledon, cos her game suits grass very well

LudwigDvorak
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
I honestly thought Stosur was a 33-year-old veteran who just happened to have a decent year until like. Yesterday. Amazing what slips by me sometimes.

I've only seen her play against Davenport. She was alright from what I saw.

Now, on Ana winning a Grand Slam? Yeah, Ana got a big title, but that was the ONLY time she went past a quarterfinal the entire year. She might want to consider getting past one of those first more regularly. Just a hunch, however.

pengluv
Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
well in that case i guess everyone can reach the top 10 now rite as long as they try hard lmao... delluqua can too

FLL
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
And I can't see Ana winning a slam... Way to inconsistant!!!

charmedRic
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
very nice

Europe rocks
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Sammy won't reach the top 10 so I don't know what Ana was thinking when she said that :tape: She does have top 20 potential though, but only if she can play good tennis outside of Australia

I give Ana a couple of years before she wins a grand slam :cool:

iPatty
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:38 PM
Ana won't win a slam anytime soon.

Stosur won't ever reach the top ten in her career.

Good call, Ana. :tape:

Tenis Srbija
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:07 AM
Sammy won't reach the top 10 so I don't know what Ana was thinking when she said that :tape: She does have top 20 potential though, but only if she can play good tennis outside of Australia

I give Ana a couple of years before she wins a grand slam :cool:

Ana and Samantha are training now... So you can understand why did she tell that Sammy could go that far. And she is in Australia. A few popularity poitns won't do her any damage ;)

LUXXXAS
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:10 AM
I am ready to win a slam too :devil::tape: ;)

Hachiko
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:14 AM
Can you imagine the level of accomplishment these girls would have if they had no faith and optimism about themselves and each other.

Josh.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:18 AM
wooo cant wait too see her at gold coast :inlove:

goldenlox
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:19 AM
Olga P said Bartoli will win majors.
It's not a big deal for player to overrate another player in interviews.

aussie_fan
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:01 AM
must of been interviewed by an australian journalist. I think Stosur has potential of getting to the top 10 but she needs to improve on her consisantcy and few areas of her game before we can start even thinking that.

Привет
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:08 AM
Can you imagine the level of accomplishment these girls would have if they had no faith and optimism about themselves and each other.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :yeah:

.Andrew.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:17 AM
:tape: I like Stosur and all.. But Top 10 is a little steep for Sammy to me. :tape: Possibly Top 20.

Ben.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:19 AM
i've read this before in another thread but besides that, that was a nice compliment that Ana made towards Sammy :yeah: Hope Sam can break into the Top 10 but i don't think she will do it this year but maybe next year or at some later point in her career. But until she breaks into the top 20 & produces solid results consistently in 2007 then i might say she will break in that elite top 10 group sooner than expected.

Kirt12255
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:01 AM
Stosur can definately make the top 10 but it certainly won't be happening in the next few years. IMO ;)

I'm more interested with her being coached by Nicole Bradtke:hearts:, Nicole has one of the best tennis brains out there! Expect to see Sammy rolling alot of shot backhands on the angle to open up the court.;)

Junex
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:58 AM
Olga P said Bartoli will win majors.
It's not a big deal for player to overrate another player in interviews.

I remember that!....:lol:

I think in conclusion:

Ana winning GS = Sam reaching Top 10

a very slim possibility.......

Junex
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:01 AM

Yes, that is why Ana never really accomplished much with that "talent" she have because she overrates her competition too much.

47eggs
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:24 AM
you will all feel embarassed when she cracks the top ten in 2007. its going to happen, just a matter of time.

Hachiko
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:54 AM
Yes, that is why Ana never really accomplished much with that "talent" she have because she overrates her competition too much.

Well that's not true, she has already accomplished a great deal and I believe will continue to do so. In her four seasons on the tour, she's risen to the world's top 15 and recorded wins over Hingis, Mauresmo and a handful of other top players. And that's not to mention she was the winner of the US Open hardcourt series this year. :yeah: I don't know many "under-accomplished" players who have done that. I think it's much healthier to expect more of your opponent, than less.

Slumpsova
Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:53 AM
maybe Ana wanted the Aussies to cheer for her @ Australian Open :rolls:

Leopold Stotch
Dec 23rd, 2006, 08:04 AM
It's pretty clear that Ana was taking it easy last year, consolidating her position and preparing for things to come. Maybe with the shoulder still not 100%, Oz Open is too early but she's capable of winning a slam next year no doubt about it.