PDA

View Full Version : Other than Serena, which players have never lost in the 1st Round of a Grand Slam?

Dementieva Serve
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:37 AM
Discuss ...

Brooklyn90
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:42 AM
you make alot of threads..............

alwayshingis
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:44 AM
Agnieszka Radwanska, Aravane Rezai...

aisha
Chris Evert? :shrug:

GoDominique
Loeffler-Caro.

Dementieva Serve
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:45 AM
I just found another one ... Ana Ivanovic

Dementieva Serve
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:46 AM

you make alot of threads..............

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:48 AM
At some point or another most of the greats take that early tumble in the majors. It's no surprise that the greats seem to be most likely to faulter either in the very begining of their careers or the very end. Of all the players that have made it to number one only two have never lost earlier than the 3rd round, Serena Williams and Chris Evert.

Chris Evert played 56 majors and her worse lost came 13 years into her career losing in the 3rd round of Wimbledon. She would only lose one other time that early and every other time she has ever played a slam she made at it to at least the QFs. What's even more amazing is that she has only ever lost in the QF's twice in her career which means out of the 56 slams she's played she has made the SF's or better 52 (out of 56) times!!!.:eek: :eek:

Chris Evert and Serena Williams are the only former (or current) number one players to have NEVER lost in the first round of a major.

Navratilova, Tracy Austin, Graf, Seles, Sanchez-Vicario, Hingis, Davenport, Capriati, Venus, Clijsters, JuJu, MoMo, Sharapova- they've all bit the dirt early in majors at least once, although most of them did it more than once.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:51 AM
Of all the players that have made it to number one only two have never lost earlier than the 3rd round, Serena Williams and Chris Evert.

:sad: Serena lost to Venus in the 2nd round of the '98 AO right? :sad:

Leo_DFP
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the stats, SS.

This is a bit of a random question, but does anyone remember the url for that really awesome tennis statistic website? I remember they had great records of rivalries and Grand Slam records. And I remember it ended with .net but I can't remember anything else! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:55 AM
:sad: Serena lost to Venus in the 2nd round of the '98 AO right? :sad:

Damn that Venus, that's why I never liked her...:fiery: but it's true. Serena's first major was her worse result and you're right she lost in the 2nd round- I guess I blocked it out.

jamatthews
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:57 AM
Not quite in the same league, but Sharapova has always won a match at the slams. Both her 1st round losses came when she had won 3 qualifying matches.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:57 AM
but still, Serena and Chris have NEVER lost before the 2nd round. :bounce:

tennisfan5
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:36 AM
Ironically, Monica held that stat until she decided to play injured in what appears to have been the final match of her career--the FO 2003 first round vs. Petrova.

Vacant
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:41 AM
Evert :worship:

That stat is truly amazing.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:41 AM
:sad: Monica :sad:

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:44 AM
:sad: Monica :sad:

The longer you play the more risk you do to your records, especially when you're not 100%. At least Monica lost to a quality opponent, that's not always the case for the greats.

Cat's Pajamas
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:48 AM
The longer you play the more risk you do to your records, especially when you're not 100%. At least Monica lost to a quality opponent, that's not always the case for the greats.

Serena take note! :unsure: :devil:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:49 AM
She'll be fine :D

SzavayFi
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:49 AM
Evert and Me :)