PDA

View Full Version : Will Venus ever get back to her best?

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:38 PM
The title says it all ...

.Andrew.
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:41 PM
I hope so... :hearts: :worship: She played so well that Wimbledon 2005 that I thought she was going to be back... Sadly, she had a TERRIBLE season this year obviously because of the numerous injuries.. I'm not expecting too much at the Australian so I'm hoping she will breakthrough in Antwerp or even Memphis.

hingisGOAT
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:49 PM
luck is part of sport, and she could get another miraculous draw on her favorite surface and consecutively face the 4 slowest players in the top 20.

...but, otherwise, the mid-ranked girls move better and hit harder than they did in 2000. take, for instance, jelena jankovic or tatiana golovin or the other teenagers who have defeated venus. they move well, hit hard, and don't hit 70 errors in a match. venus' groundies have always been erratic, and it was quite embarrasing for the tour IMO when she was winning slams hitting errors every other point. those days are long gone and venus' trophy collection will forever remain as it is

so to answer the question: no, but it doesn't matter anyway

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:53 PM
Did anybody see the error that Venus made at AO 2006 vs Pironkova when she was serving at 6-2 0-6 7-8 30-30!!!

Its on youtube somewhere if you want to see it ...

mila_mail
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:56 PM
no, it's very hard for her. anyway, i think she will retire soon

Rollo
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:57 PM
No-not unless she retools her forehand, which would probably mean seeking out another coach. Nothing in her past suggests she is willing to do that.

This means you can forget her ever winning the French IMO, and the Aussie would be very unlikely.

She'll always be a threat at Wimbledon though. At the big W the ball doesn't sit up as much and she doesn't rack up as many foerhand UE's:)

supergrunt
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:58 PM
luck is part of sport, and she could get another miraculous draw on her favorite surface and consecutively face the 4 slowest players in the top 20.

...but, otherwise, the mid-ranked girls move better and hit harder than they did in 2000. take, for instance, jelena jankovic or tatiana golovin or the other teenagers who have defeated venus. they move well, hit hard, and don't hit 70 errors in a match. venus' groundies have always been erratic, and it was quite embarrasing for the tour IMO when she was winning slams hitting errors every other point. those days are long gone and venus' trophy collection will forever remain as it is

Sharapova plays good defense IMO :tape:

Anyway, yes the girls hit harder and move better but they still cannot hit as hard or move as good as Venus.. at her best she will win the match. period. :)

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:58 PM
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

I think she will retire soon.

Il Primo!
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:00 AM

You need wild sex, i think it will take you bitterness away.:weirdo:

new-york
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:07 AM
:bull:

please somebody make him unable to enter any thread about Venus.

new-york
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:12 AM
on the actual.

consistently, i don't think.
especially if her health doesn't allow her first to play more tennis.
i guess she's one of those you never really write off because she can do the best, & i hope she'll do it on some occasions like @Wim05.

but right now, this is not even my concern. i just want her being able to play, then, i'll worry about how it turns out.

urock34
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:32 AM
i think she will strugle but every year at wimbledon she will b a major threat and might rack a couple more of them but if she gets back playing i think she will maybe get to the quaters at the slams except wimbledon but i doubt she will ever win the french just cuz her shot tollerance is so low

40-0
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:01 AM
Lucky part of the gameee!!!? Venus got the hardest draw at wimb that year

selyoink
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:27 AM
No and I think this will be her last year on tour if she even plays this year.

RJWCapriati
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:28 AM
I really hope

Florida
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:30 AM
I thought Venus would have the longer career of the Williams sisters, but I the game is starting to pass her by.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:30 AM
I hope she can get healthy. If not, she should get surgery, but she DEF. has more tennis in her.

V-fan
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:13 AM

Fact is the girls like jankovic, golovin depend on the form of Venus. The matches that Venus lost against them, were lost because of Venus's unforced errors. What I want to say with it is that Venus is able to play her own game on court, and is not depended on how many errors her oppent makes. I think that makes the difference between champions and a top20 player

Tenis Srbija
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Fact is the girls like jankovic, golovin depend on the form of Venus. The matches that Venus lost against them, were lost because of Venus's unforced errors. What I want to say with it is that Venus is able to play her own game on court, and is not depended on how many errors her oppent makes. I think that makes the difference between champions and a top20 player

:lol:
Don't speak rubish!!! Match between JJ and Venus was not determined by Venuses unforced errors... She is just NOT what she was, and you gotta live with that!

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:55 AM
It may not be true in the case of JHH because we haven't seen them play in a LONG time, but it's been true in the cases of:

Clijsters - USO 2005
Mauresmo - Proximus 2005
Jankovic - Wimbledon 2006
Pironkova - AO 2006
Hingis - Roma 2006
Davenport - BOTW 2004

new-york
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:17 PM

way too easy.

Venus is what she shows up, not what she showed up.

A'DAM
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Im affriad she will not...
Looks like everytime she gets close to her best some nasty injury stops her :sad:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:27 PM
hopefully surgery will remedy the situation

MikeJones
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:43 PM
No..and everytime she loses its becouse shes injured. Excuses, excuses :rolleyes:

Viktymise
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:51 PM

:rolleyes: How the hell was Wimbledon 05 for Venus a lucky draw, she has a reallly tough draw, Pierce who played unbelievably well in the 2nd set, Sharapova, the defending champion who played a great match but still lost, Davenport who gave it absolutley everything, im sorry but playing 3 of the hardest hitters on tour is waaaay harder than player 3 of the fastest playest on the tour on grass, if you think that anyone else would have beaten Venus that wimbledon you are deluded

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM
:secret: haters ;)

Viktymise
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:54 PM
:lol:
Don't speak rubish!!! Match between JJ and Venus was not determined by Venuses unforced errors... She is just NOT what she was, and you gotta live with that!

omg yes it was, she hits 12 DFs the whole match, 3 in a row in her 2nd last service game to hand Jankovic 5-3 in the 3rd and the another at 5-4 to give Jankovic MP, her BH drives were completley of in the 3rd set aand she was missing easy midcourt balls to the back fence, i admit Jankovic played an inspired match but was greatly helped along by Venus in the 3rd set

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:33 PM
Answering the topic's question: I don't know really.
But as long as she is active Venus will always be a contender for Wimbledon.

vwfan
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
It is all in Venus' hands. I don't think she would be working hard to stay in such remarkable shape, if she wasn't committed to heading back to the courts.

Venus is an athlete and I thinks likes being an athlete. She's not done, until she says she's done. In her own words, "As long as I'm alive. . ." (and that was at Wimbledon 2005).;)

Let's be real, there are exactly six players other than Venus who have come close to smelling grand slam success in the past two years: Serena, JHH, Kim, Maria, Mary Pierce, Davie, and Momo. Davie and Mary appear to be out. So really, you're left with JHH, Kim, Momo, Maria and Serena.

The game hasn't changed that much and I don't see all the supposed hot young guns getting past the QFs, as almost every SF is pretty much populated with those same players. Only Maria has broken through among the young up and comers and she was semipova for a couple of years herself, so I'd just say there is no one left in the grand slam competition hunt that Venus has spanked more than a couple of times. And on grass, only Serena among them have ever beaten her. Give me a break!

mirzalover
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:34 PM
I dont know if she will ever get back to where she was but she doesnt need to be at 100 percent tennis wise to win titles or slams just healthy and actually playing more than 3 matches in 4 months

GABRIEL
Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:26 PM
NO....I like Venus, but I really think both sisters are going to slowly withdraw from tennis world...I cannot see them so committed....2007 might be Venus' last year on the tour - I hope I am wrong because she is so talented and fun to watch when she is on

PLP
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:50 PM
omg yes it was, she hits 12 DFs the whole match, 3 in a row in her 2nd last service game to hand Jankovic 5-3 in the 3rd and the another at 5-4 to give Jankovic MP, her BH drives were completley of in the 3rd set aand she was missing easy midcourt balls to the back fence, i admit Jankovic played an inspired match but was greatly helped along by Venus in the 3rd set

I have to agree about that game. Venus played a horrific game there :help: . I love Jelena as well, and she totally desreved the win, but Venus wasn't on that day!

The truth is that the wrist injury is chronic and until she either has surgery (which I am not sure is even viable?) or changes her game a bit, using the slice or a one-hander, it will be hard for her to play consitently enough to be consistent. Still, I believe she can win major tournaments! Come on Vee! :bounce:

urock34
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:52 PM
I have to agree about that game. Venus played a horrific game there :help: . I love Jelena as well, and she totally desreved the win, but Venus wasn't on that day!

The truth is that the wrist injury is chronic and until she either has surgery (which I am not sure is even viable?) or changes her game a bit, using the slice or a one-hander, it will be hard for her to play consitently enough to be consistent. Still, I believe she can win major tournaments! Come on Vee! :bounce:

she will not last a day out on the tour. her double handed bh is pretty much the best bh on the tour.

henree
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:04 AM
Lets not get carried away. I am a William's sister fan. But these excuses for why they lose is nonsense. Venus lost to Jankovic at Wimby this year because her technique on the forehand is inconsistent. That isn't Jelena's fault. If Venus chooses to let her forehand technique decay then she will continue to make errors, and continue to lose. It is that simple. It doesn't matter who is overall the better player, or who has the more accomplished career. All that matters is what they bring to that particular match. SO ENOUGH WITH THE EXCUSES!!!!:o

supergrunt
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:16 AM
Lets not get carried away. I am a William's sister fan. But these excuses for why they lose is nonsense. Venus lost to Jankovic at Wimby this year because her technique on the forehand is inconsistent. That isn't Jelena's fault. If Venus chooses to let her forehand technique decay then she will continue to make errors, and continue to lose. It is that simple. It doesn't matter who is overall the better player, or who has the more accomplished career. All that matters is what they bring to that particular match. SO ENOUGH WITH THE EXCUSES!!!!:o

o shut up.. you have never made an escuse for your fave? :rolleyes:

brayster87
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:55 AM
no, no chance

Lulu.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:12 AM
Probably not. It seems that her wrist will never fully heal

Stamp Paid
Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:47 AM
Venus still has more talent than every woman in the Top 10.
Her health is a major issue.
Her serve has declined drastically from 2000-2001 - can Venus even serve out wide anymore? The ab tear she sustained in 2003 fucked her up bad.
Then, she comes back in 2006, and her forehand is far more consistent, but at the expense of the potency of her backhand.
Venus needs to get healthy first, then retool some of the elements of her game, but there is no reason why Venus should not be in the Top 10 and winning big titles. The game has not passed her by, not by a longshot. The same women who were biting at her ankles when she was on top are now dominating the tour, so not MUCH has truly changed.

Craigy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:32 AM
To be honest I really don't think so. I'd love her to be back up at the top of the game, but I just don't know anymore.

Viktymise
Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:33 AM

It was Venus's BH in that match which gave her most problems actually

.Andrew.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
I can see Venus come back to the top because she is definitely one of the most talented players, BUT the wrist NEEDS to become healthy...

jazar
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
short and sweet, NO.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
I don't know if she'll be as consistent as she was in her peak years, but she'll probably always be a threat at Wimbledon and the US Open because she has such a big game and those surfaces cater to players with big games.

The Dawntreader
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM
If she's fit, healthy and confident. Venus is still a huge factor in women's tennis:)

darrinbaker00
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:50 PM
Probably not. It seems that her wrist will never fully heal
Like Martina Hingis' feet, perhaps?