PDA

View Full Version : what was linsday like in her early days?

Josh.
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:00 PM
since she has (not offically) retired, i was wondering what she was like/how she played in her early carerr? was her movement bad back then and did her groundstrokes have as much penertration as they did these last couple of years?

Tenis Srbija
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:05 PM
since she has (not offically) retired, i was wondering what she was like/how she played in her early carerr? was her movement bad back then and did her groundstrokes have as much penertration as they did these last couple of years?

You have my avatar :rolleyes: :wavey: ;)

Josh.
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:07 PM
You have my avatar :rolleyes: :wavey: ;)

oh dear .. im sorry, i just saw it in derek's thread and i liked it.
can i keep it ? :)

Nicolás89
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:09 PM
i remember when fernandez called her fat, and she was refusing to play with her in the fed cup cause she was fat:lol:

Tenis Srbija
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:09 PM
oh dear .. im sorry, i just saw it in derek's thread and i liked it.
can i keep it ? :)

Sure ;)
I'm just kidding... :) :bounce:

LH2HBH
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:10 PM
Her groundstrokes were bigger than the other girls but not like they were when she started dominating again in 2004-2005.

As the game progressed, so did Lindsay.

Also she was kinda fat at one point and her movement was not good.

They used to call her "Dumptruck Davenport" and one former coach described her movement "She dances like a refrigerator on the court."

Her movement and fitness in the later years 2003-2005 were the best.

darrinbaker00
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:11 PM
Lindsay was 30-40 pounds heavier when she started than she was when she finished. Needless to say, her lack of fitness hindered her stroke production. I seriously doubt that Lindsay will reach her "Dump Truck" playing weight during her pregnancy.

Steffica Greles
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM
Davenport was alway recognised for her phenomenal groundstrokes.

I remember when I was 12, following Sabatini in the 3rd round against Meredith McGrath at Wimbledon 1994. Davenport was to be her next opponent. There were already whispers about the then 18 year-old Californian. Sabatini was in a decline, continually being accused of not playing with the necessary aggression. Asked by Sue Barker who was going to win their 4th round encounter, Pam Shriver said that if Sabatini didn't get her act together, there was not a cat in hell's chance that she was going to withstand the devastating power of Davenport.

Davenport won that encounter in straight sets, something like 6-3 6-1. Pam was right.

At the quarter-final stage of Wimbledon 1994, people were talking about Davenport as an outside chance for the title. She lost in 3 close sets to Martinez, who was of course the eventual titlist.

By the end of the year she was no.6 in the world, at only 18. It was in 1995, however, that she slipped back. More players worked out how to expose her poor movement and she lost confidence. It was not until 1996 that she gradually started to be noticed again.

Her groundstrokes were always clean, with very little sound, perfectly timed and tremendously deep. From c1998 I have no doubt that she also added a little power, but they were always regarded as among the most destructive by her opponents.

Seles first played DAvenport in Sydney, 1996, and remarked that Davenport had some of the hardest and heaviest groundstrokes, as well as some of the best all-round talent, in women's tennis. Or something like that.

So Davenport was always rated as a prospect. She just preferred to make baby steps.

hingisGOAT
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:37 PM
i think chunky davenport had a little bit more 'oomph' on her shots

Josh.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:15 AM

I remember when I was 12, following Sabatini in the 3rd round against Meredith McGrath at Wimbledon 1994. Davenport was to be her next opponent. There were already whispers about the then 18 year-old Californian. Sabatini was in a decline, continually being accused of not playing with the necessary aggression. Asked by Sue Barker who was going to win their 4th round encounter, Pam Shriver said that if Sabatini didn't get her act together, there was not a cat in hell's chance that she was going to withstand the devastating power of Davenport.

Davenport won that encounter in straight sets, something like 6-3 6-1. Pam was right.

At the quarter-final stage of Wimbledon 1994, people were talking about Davenport as an outside chance for the title. She lost in 3 close sets to Martinez, who was of course the eventual titlist.

By the end of the year she was no.6 in the world, at only 18. It was in 1995, however, that she slipped back. More players worked out how to expose her poor movement and she lost confidence. It was not until 1996 that she gradually started to be noticed again.

Her groundstrokes were always clean, with very little sound, perfectly timed and tremendously deep. From c1998 I have no doubt that she also added a little power, but they were always regarded as among the most destructive by her opponents.

Seles first played DAvenport in Sydney, 1996, and remarked that Davenport had some of the hardest and heaviest groundstrokes, as well as some of the best all-round talent, in women's tennis. Or something like that.

So Davenport was always rated as a prospect. She just preferred to make baby steps.

well said .. thanks :)

tennisbuddy12
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:32 AM
I read a small bio on Lindsay...she weighed a lot after gaining a lot of weight from her parents divorce (daniela lost a lot from her parents divorce)....she shed the weight and you saw how she fared.

Jakeev
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:21 AM

The other reality though is that Lindsay also came on tour at a good time. Yeah we know she was heavy, out-of-shape and whatever else, but the truth is, the tour only had a handful of power players compared to what you say today.

Lindsay did a lot of damage to A LOT of players.

Proof of that is well Lindsay did on red-clay her first four-five years despite her athletic handicaps. That's why I am surprised when Lindsay did change, she didn't attempt to play more often on the red dirt.