PDA

View Full Version : HONESTY CHECK: Venus & Serena Williams 2007 - WHAT WILL HAPPEN?

LH2HBH
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:38 PM
HONESTY CHECK: Venus & Serena Williams 2007 - WHAT WILL HAPPEN?

REALITY CHECK PEOPLE!

Venus Williams just pulled her first of many withdrawals for the season.

What will happen for the rest of 2007?

Sally Struthers
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:39 PM
I predict similar results as this season

The Daviator
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:54 PM
I hardly think they'll both have a similar year :shrug:

I think Serena will have a resurgence, not sure about Venus due to this injury :sad:

The Dawntreader
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:56 PM
I just want venus to get on a court competing, everything else would be a bonus:sad:

Serena could have a very good year though, if she puts in the work fitness wise. She still looks very below-par fitness wise which is a shame *sigh*

supergrunt
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:01 PM
HONESTY CHECK: Venus & Serena Williams 2007 - WHAT WILL HAPPEN?

REALITY CHECK PEOPLE!

Venus Williams just pulled her first of many withdrawals for the season.

What will happen for the rest of 2007?

Gee are you trying to insinuate something. :lol: :weirdo: :rolleyes:

It is really upsetting when even the Williams fans start doubting them. I mean when the haters or people who just put Venus or Serena on their signature just to hide say something like that, you kind of just ignore them becuase they are losers. :wavey: But all hope is lost when even a Williams sister fan says it. :)

-VSR-
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:03 PM
2004-ish. :shrug:

You can't really predict them anymore.

Helen Lawson
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:04 PM
I have low hopes, I hate to say it, Serena looked gigantic in those courthouse photos from this week. Hopefully it was just the photos, but I'm not so sure.
I think they've just lost interest in tennis, due to injuries, which I do believe they had and have, and that's really contributed to their waning interest.
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

new-york
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:05 PM
Serena should be fine, training & working to be fit enough.

Venus needs to be healthy.

PLP
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:31 PM
I just want venus to get on a court competing, everything else would be a bonus:sad:

Serena could have a very good year though, if she puts in the work fitness wise. She still looks very below-par fitness wise which is a shame *sigh*

I agree about Vee. Honestly, she should just stay out of tournaments until the wrist is 100%...even if it means not seeing her until the Clay or Grass.

I expect Serena will win a tournament before Venus steps on the court in 2007, still, they could both finish the year in the top 10, I really hope they do...If they both make the YEC (and Marti of course) I am going to Madrid! :wavey:

Gooner
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:38 PM
They will have a 2006 year

urock34
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:03 PM

id be sooo happy if serena could get into 04 form
u no she didnt really hav a bad year. she was 2 matches away from possibly finishing in the top 5
and if she had a different umpire at the open then she might of finished with 2slams and a yec plus a miami and bejjing title

darrinbaker00
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:09 PM
id be sooo happy if serena could get into 04 form
u no she didnt really hav a bad year. she was 2 matches away from possibly finishing in the top 5
and if she had a different umpire at the open then she might of finished with 2slams and a yec plus a miami and bejjing title
If Serena gets into 2004 form, she'll be three years behind. Her fitness level and stroke production need to be better than they've ever been if she wants to compete.

Drake1980
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:10 PM
so so season I think but good season if they both play enough

Brooks.
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:21 PM
there's more hope for Serena right now b/c she's healthy (relatively speaking of course) ...she still needs to get into better shape...and that's not going to happen anytime soon..still she should/can have decent results at the beginning of the year as long as she plays...I hope by French Open/Wimbledon time she'll be in better shape...but with Serena you just never know...it could very well be much of the same Serena that we saw in 06'

StarDuvallGrant
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:23 PM

This is the only honest and real thing in this thread.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:25 PM

:yeah: I agree 100% I hope once Venus gets healthy, then she can catch up.

Josh.
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:25 PM
same as 2006.. so basically nothing

Il Primo!
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:26 PM

Your cleverness touches me :awww:

LudwigDvorak
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:30 PM
I hope the best for Venus. Can't say I care much about Serena's 2007 season, if she does well that's great, if she doesn't, more room for my favorite players to get titles.

The wrist problem doesn't foreshadow well for 2007 with Venus, but I'm going to stay positive. But if she isn't fit in time, there's still three Slams left in the year.

SelesFan70
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:32 PM
Serena :banana:

Venus :yawn:

selyoink
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:57 AM
I voted for the third option. I don't think they will ever get back to their bests or play full seasons.

I think Serena has a chance to win a slam this year if she plays a couple of months in a row.

I'm very doubtful about Venus. I think this could be her last year on tour.

Brooklyn90
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:01 AM
serena-good year
venus-injuy filled year

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:26 AM
Serena will defnitely get back towards the top.

Venus - :shrug:

RJWCapriati
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:27 AM
Great with up and downs

Venus+Serena#1fan
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:47 AM
I think people forget that Serena showed this summer that she can make a run for the top again. She played well at the USO, crushed ivanovic, and had a good shot at beating #1 (then) Mauresmo. She was not in top match form or fitness, and she may still not be by Australia but if she works hard and keeps working on it she should have a resurgence.

Venus I feel could pick up some steam and motivation from Serena when and If her wrist injury heals.

Black Mamba.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:31 AM
Same as last year.

Orion
Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:10 AM
I'd hope they can just get consistent again, reach 4th rounds or quarterfinals at slams, win a tournament or two, be top twenty players. I think it is possible for them to do that. But, I think they've been so ingrained that they are champions that they feel entitled to be #1 or 2 in the world. I think if they don't see strong results off the bat, they're not going to be whole hearted, and if they're not whole hearted, they won't get back to the top 20.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:11 AM
well I think that Serena and Venus signing up for tournaments like Memphis and Bangalore show us that they're ready to climb up to the top the hard way.

jazar
Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:38 AM
i think when they start playing they will realise the standard has improved, get injured and then go back to other things like they did this year. as far as i can see there is no chance of them doing anything spectacular

Stamp Paid
Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Who knows.
I'm ready to be optimistic though.

Williams-forever
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:09 AM
With the sisters you just have to relax and wait and see what happens...With absolutely no expectations;) Then you won'tget upset when something bad happens, and you will be even more happy if something great happens:) Yaayy, my first post in a while:D

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:11 AM
:worship: Well said :yeah:

Jessie181
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
To be quite honest, i dont think Serena will make a dent in the season until the summer. Looking at her recent pictures, it seems she hasn't improved on her fitness.:help: If anything, i think her fitness has gone tremendously down since the summer. From my perspective, she's actually GAINED weight since the USO;:tape: and, to me, that is making it hard for me to say that she will have a good year.

If the wrist heals all the way and she doesn't have too many injuries, i think that Venus could have a better year then Serena. Though, since she already has withdrawn from a tournament (an exo, perth) her wrist hasn't healed. Personally, i think she opted to have the surgery. She had a cast/brace looking thing earlier in the fall. Hopefully, if she doesn't play the AO, she at least continues to practice and improve her Forehand, one-handed backhand slice, and her serve like she has been doing this winter (at least, that's my opinion from looking at the exo's she played against Serena this year)

Let's hope that Serena gets back in the gym and does some cardio, and Venus gets healed in time for the AO. :)

santhuruu
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:40 AM
I think venus will have a terrible season once again, I believe that Serena can pick it up next year:D

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
This is exactly what the WS haters want, for the Vee fans to be against the Ree fans a vice-versa.

I hope BOTH of them recover and have great seasons!

Jessie181
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:55 AM
I think venus will have a terrible season once again, I believe that Serena can pick it up next year:D

:lol: :lol: ..

Mina Vagante
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
they'll have a mostly 'high' season with good results with a few poor results

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
:yeah: I like that one :yeah:

Mina Vagante
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:55 PM
:yeah: I like that one :yeah:

lol oh i know, it's good aint it
:lol: haha

hdfb
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:11 PM
I say another 2006. I'm just not impressed at all, and following 2006, have even less hope in them. I know they have it in them, they just won't commit.

Dexter
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:18 PM
Option C.

pooh14
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:22 PM
hard to predict, as it depends on their injury.
however i am pretty sure it should be much better then 2006

HenryMag.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Like 2006, many injuries...

tae04
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
I wish they would give 3-5 hard years then do whatever they want.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:39 PM
that would...:crying2: make me sooooo happy

eugreene2
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:53 PM
This is not hard to predict at all. The fact is Serena is winning atleast 2 slams this year. Bank It!

Kart
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
I'm following the Williams sisters trial about as closely as I'm following the Jelena Dokic kidnapped paprika saga but it strikes me that as long as they have that hanging over them it would be unfair to expect much out of them.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
it's over :bounce::wavey::dance: so, now they should be free to focus

plantman
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:29 PM
so so season I think but good season if they both play enough

The two key words!

oliverbecken
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
Good Luck;)

!<blocparty>!
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Serena - who knows.

Venus - will miss most of the year through 'injury', again. Show up for Wimby and the USO.

plantman
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
it's over :bounce::wavey::dance: so, now they should be free to focus

It's Over?
Not quite yet.................

Williams faulted, but jury finds no love for promoters
By Jane Musgrave

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, December 22, 2006

WEST PALM BEACH Venus and Serena Williams embraced. Their attorneys and those who represented their father hugged and smiled broadly.

Although a Palm Beach County jury on Thursday said Richard Williams breached a contract and committed fraud, jurors awarded no money to two would-be promoters. The pair spent more than five weeks trying to convince the jury they deserved millions from the famous family for reneging on an agreement to participate in a "battle of the sexes" tennis match.

More tennis

Williams trial photos

Local, national news
Interactive features
Weekly e-mail updates

More local news
Latest breaking news, photos and all of today's Post stories.
State news
Sound off in the forum
Columnists
Crime, live scanners
Photos | Special reports
Weather | Traffic | Obituaries

"You ever hear of the expression bagel in tennis? Six-love, Six-love," said attorney David Slutsker, who represented Richard Williams. "They just got bageled. I'm thrilled."

Richard Williams was not in court when the verdict was announced after slightly more than four hours of deliberation. Slutsker compared his absence to the breaks the 64-year-old often takes when his daughters are locked in fierce tennis matches.

"But he knows what happened; he had a premonition," said Jan Morris, who also represented Richard Williams.

The group left the courthouse en masse with one goal: celebration.

Keith Rhodes, one of the two promoters who sued the Palm Beach Gardens family, said he was disappointed by the verdict but he didn't begrudge the Palm Beach Gardens family or their attorneys their happiness.

"It would be unreasonable for me to expect them not to be elated," said Rhodes, who lives in Albany, N.Y.

However, his attorney, John Romano, said Williams' victory was far from a bagel.

"All I can say is that in life to be branded as someone who defrauded others is about as bad a label as one can have," said Romano, who also represented would-be promoter Carol Clarke. "I'd not be in a victorious mood if something like that had just happened to me. It's like scoring a touchdown and taunting the other players."

Further, he noted that the jury found that Richard Williams entered into the contract for the "battle of the sexes" event on behalf of Serena Williams. That indicates jurors didn't believe her testimony that she knew nothing about the event or that her father didn't represent her.

Attorney F. Malcolm Cunningham Jr., who represented both tennis stars, said Serena's only mistake was being polite to Clarke. The West Palm Beach woman befriended Richard Williams and helped craft the idea for the 2001 match she said would net $45 million.

While Venus never agreed to be part of Clarke's money-making plans, Serena's signature appeared on at least one document related to the match. Serena insisted it was forged.

Like their attorneys, both of the sisters said they had much to celebrate.

For nearly five years, they said the claims made by Rhodes and Clarke had hung over them.

"It weighed on our hearts, it weighed on our spirits and sometimes it weighed on us on the court," Serena Williams said at a news conference. "The heavy thing on our hearts is not on it anymore. We look forward to playing better tennis."

Venus Williams agreed: "We've worked hard all our lives and we've been honest."

Because the case last year ended in a mistrial, for two years the sisters have spent critical pre-season training time in a courtroom instead of on a tennis court. Once among the top-ranked players in the world, Venus Williams is now ranked 46th and Serena is ranked 95th. Their combined career winnings are $32 million, according to the Women's Tennis Association.

"It's been difficult for us to come to court during our prime training season for the whole year," Serena Williams said. "It also affected the mental aspect of our game."

Venus acknowledged that the lengthy trial was undoubtedly hard on the jurors as well.

None of the five women or one man who sat on the jury could be reached for comment. Two alternates, who were dismissed Wednesday before deliberations began, said they would have been hard-pressed to award Clarke or Rhodes any money.

The first-time promoters didn't hire anyone to help them coordinate what was to have been a multi-day spectacular, complete with musical acts. They didn't spend any of their own money to make the event happen.

While some had suggested the sisters face off against John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors, no male player had agreed to participate.

Rhodes said he has spent about $250,000, including on trips he took and phone calls he made preparing for trial. Clarke couldn't be reached for comment. Through Romano, she said she respected the jury's decision.

Romano said his law firm is out hundreds of thousands of dollars. But he said he doesn't regret taking the case.

"I took the case on a contingency basis because I believed in the clients and I believed in the cause," he said. "That money is smartly spent and well-spent."

Further, he said, it isn't over.

He said it is likely he will appeal the jury's decision. It's difficult to understand how they could find that Richard Williams breached the contract and engaged in fraudulent misrepresentation yet they awarded no money to his clients, he said.

And, he said, even if the appeal fails, his clients got an important win.

"The jury found that there was a legal and binding contract," he said.

Rhodes agreed.

"I feel vindicated," he said. "I wanted my day in court and I got it. A tremendous weight has been lifted off my shoulders."

Sponsored Links

Lulu.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
Im much more worried about Serena. So hopefully she gets it together and has a great year

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM
I have low hopes, I hate to say it, Serena looked gigantic in those courthouse photos from this week. Hopefully it was just the photos, but I'm not so sure.
Is this the one you are referring to?
http://postpix.palmbeachpost.com/images/photos/100044/2006/11/17/gallery/1572642.jpg

Lulu.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:32 PM
Is this the one you are referring to?
http://postpix.palmbeachpost.com/images/photos/100044/2006/11/17/gallery/1572642.jpg

She looks fine to me. She doesnt look like shes gotten bigger

urock34
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:43 PM
she looks like she did at the mcdonalds tour which wasn't that great

saki
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:54 PM
Serena looks ok - she just needs a good bra and clothes that fit her right.

I hope Serena does well and I think she's capable of it. Her commitments sound sensible - playing Hobart and Bangalore to work her way up again - assuming that she actually shows up.

Venus is just not ever going to play her best tennis again. She'll always be a difficult opponent on grass but I don't see her winning another Slam ever. Sorry. The withdrawal from Hopman Cup seals it for me - either her injury is just never going to fully heal or she's just not interested in putting in the training time. Whichever it is, I don't see her back at her best.

I've always felt that Serena has more fire and passion for tennis than Venus does and that's also why I think Serena is more likely to have success in 2007.

SAEKeithSerena
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
Serena-wins 3 slams and 8 overall titles, re-establishes herself as the world's elite player

Venus-reaches 1 slam final, wins 1 title