PDA

View Full Version : Criticisms of Venus withdrawal

ptkten
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:07 PM
Ryan made a great post in the thread abou Venus' withdrawal from Hopman Cup and I felt it deserved a new one; would everyone please stop criticizing her because we know that Larry Scott forces the players to enter the events. Venus HAS to enter, and then she's FORCED to withdraw because she can't play with her injury. I don't get the double standard, everyone praises Davenport for calling out the system, and then jumps all over Venus just because she is being forced to do something. I'm sure Venus wouldn't be entering all of these events if they didn't make her do it.

tenn_ace
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM
Ryan made a great post in the thread abou Venus' withdrawal from Hopman Cup and I felt it deserved a new one; would everyone please stop criticizing her because we know that Larry Scott forces the players to enter the events. Venus HAS to enter, and then she's FORCED to withdraw because she can't play with her injury. I don't get the double standard, everyone praises Davenport for calling out the system, and then jumps all over Venus just because she is being forced to do something. I'm sure Venus wouldn't be entering all of these events if they didn't make her do it.

To be fair Larry Scott has nothing to do with Hopman Cup.

TonyP
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:42 PM
Hopman Cup is not a WTA event. So it is doubtful he made Venus enter it, when there are other WTA events going on at the very same time.

Whether or not the WTA is making players enter regular tour events, even when they are not fit and have no intention of playing, I don't know. But the idea that some people think that is proof the WTA is developing an image problem of its own.

What I think many people DO believe these days is that the WTA and the tournments delay announcement of withdrawals, sometimes until the last minute, hoping to sell more tickets in what amounts to a bait and switch scheme.

I think the Willies have just been the most visible players involved in frequent withdrawals, although there are others who have quit tournaments under what may be questionable circumstances.

I think Venus and Serena have actually reached the stage where people are now surprised when they do turn up and play.

Venus played just 18 matches this year, winning 12 of them, but taking no titles and, to my knowledge, not even getting to a final.

Denise4925
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM
Venus played just 18 matches this year, winning 12 of them, but taking no titles and, to my knowledge, not even getting to a final.

So what?! :rolleyes:

cartmancop
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:31 PM
I agree that tournaments are very likely delaying the announcements of player withdrawals for their own profit and are letting players like Venus, etc. take the blame for late withdrawal...

I would rather her withdraw late and not play than try to make us happy and injure herself further, the good thing is that she has no points to defend from the beginning of the year really, or the rest of the year for that matter...

Drake1980
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:35 PM
OMG! She pulled out? Who is her replacement?

Black Mamba.
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM
I'm a huge Vee fan but the criticism for pulling out is warranted.

cartmancop
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM
Harkleroad

Diesel
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM
I find the criticism by those who dislike Venus amusing and far from genuine.

Couver
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:54 PM
The criticism largely comes from people who are not fans of Venus, and in many cases from people who have openly disliked her for a number of years. Some replies to this thread are by people like that for example. You could bring up a billion different reasons about why it isn't a big deal, but it won't matter to them. Notice that Venus is not the first person to withdraw from this years HC, but she will be the most criticised for it. That's because WTA World has always been very polarized when it comes to the Williams Sisters. What other players are allowed to get away with, the top players and the sisters in particular cannot on this site. I find it futile to to try and change peoples minds because they won't change them. I prefer to laugh at their hypocrisy.

Diesel
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM
The criticism largely comes from people who are not fans of Venus, and in many cases from people who have openly disliked her for a number of years. Some replies to this thread are by people like that for example. You could bring up a billion different reasons about why it isn't a big deal, but it won't matter to them. Notice that Venus is not the first person to withdraw from this years HC, but she will be the most criticised for it. That's because WTA World has always been very polarized when it comes to the Williams Sisters. What other players are allowed to get away with, the top players and the sisters in particular cannot on this site. I find it futile to to try and change peoples minds because they won't change them. I prefer to laugh at their hypocrisy.

:worship:

Hurley
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:55 PM

:speakles:

Wow. Dumb.

Hopman Cup is a NON-WTA exhibition so nothing in this post makes a lick of sense.

LH2HBH
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM
I LOVE Venus Williams and this is just a sign of another dissappointing season ahead for me.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The second part to this story is usually a picture of her at some party in South Beach carrying on with some $%^ like Flava Flav :fiery:

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:13 PM
Just another pointless thread! :rolls:

Larry Scott have nothing to do with Hopman Cup as it's an ITF event!

TonyP
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:11 PM
I think a lot of people were prompted to comment here because of the claim that Larry Scott "forced" Venus to enter the Hopman Cup. How could he force her to enter any tournament and why would he force her to enter a non-WTA event?

thrust
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:18 PM
If Venus could prove she had a serious injury, Larry Scott could not force her to enter any tournament. I think that Venus has a permenent wrist problem that will never fully heal. She probably feels ok until she tries to play tennis. If so, her tennis carrer will end soon, or she will have to take a long time off to see if her wrist can heal. I am just guessing, of course, and hope I am wrong. If she is faking it, then shame on her. But I think it is unfair to blame Larry Scott for her actions.

Martian Stacey
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:23 PM
This comment would be justified if she had withdrawn at WTA event or a Slam, but Hopman Cup is an ITF event, so nobody forced her to commit to play there (as pretty much everyone ITT has pointed out).

But in her defense she did commit to the event sometime ago (in May i think) so i'm sure then she didn't know she wouldn't be able to play. Though she probably could have given the tournament more than a weeks notice, the injury must be serious to have plagued her for so long, so surely she would have known before now.

GoDominique
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:27 AM
Worst post ever from a Senior poster. A Williams fans, unsurprisingly.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:32 AM
Lolz.

ptkten
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:26 AM

I guess people misunderstood what my post was about. It had nothing to do with Hopman Cup specifically. I know she wasn't forced to enter this event by Larry Scott and I never said she was forced to enter by Larry Scott. I meant that in every topic about Venus withdrawing, people come in and jump all over her when 99 percent of the time she's forced to enter the event anyway. I couldn't care less if this is an ITF event, or whether or not Larry Scott has control over it, the way the system works is stupid, and she gets a double standard compared to other players such as Elena Bovina, to name one, who enter events all the time and then withdraw at the last minute.

SelesFan70
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:43 AM
Venus committed to The Hopman Cup back in the Spring of this year...way too early to commit to any tournament if you ask me. :tape:

moon
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:09 AM
I guess people misunderstood what my post was about. It had nothing to do with Hopman Cup specifically. I know she wasn't forced to enter this event by Larry Scott and I never said she was forced to enter by Larry Scott. I meant that in every topic about Venus withdrawing, people come in and jump all over her when 99 percent of the time she's forced to enter the event anyway. I couldn't care less if this is an ITF event, or whether or not Larry Scott has control over it, the way the system works is stupid, and she gets a double standard compared to other players such as Elena Bovina, to name one, who enter events all the time and then withdraw at the last minute.

Don't waste your breath. some people have nothing better to do BUT complain about whatever Venus or her sister do. Like Andy Roddick said, there damned if they do, and damned if they don't. these same people who are whining are probably the same group who say they don't commit enough. So they commit, and then they have to pull out because of injury so....
Let the naysayers complain, if it makes their lives more meaningful. :wavey:

LudwigDvorak
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:14 AM
Venus is a full grown woman. She knows what is best for her body. If she has an ailment and must retire, let her. I don't mind if she gets fined a measly portion out of everything she's earned, but whether or not the injury was serious, there's a reason she retired from the Hopman Cup. The fact she might retire from the Australian makes me think it's serious, but I'm just hoping for the best. It's just Hopman Cup anyway. Ain't no one give no damn bout no Hopman Cup.

40-0
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:18 AM
Injuries are part of it

pooh14
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:25 AM
although i beleive venus is seriously injured for her not to take part, however i also think she should not commit to any event till she is very sure of her health status. she should just take a wildcard later if it is too late.

DavyJone96431
Dec 23rd, 2006, 08:27 AM
well you may be right about one thing. I realized that i am no longer surprised when venus and serena pull out of tournaments, even at the last minute. i do get surprised when they actually play where they said they were going to :bounce: :tennis:

vutt
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:35 AM
LOL@poster who have been around since 2001 and does not know already that L.Scott has nothing to do with WTA :rolleyes:

supergrunt
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:14 PM

Excellent Post :D !

Rocketta
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:39 PM
:lol:

Where they talking about the same Venus who just spent 3 weeks in a stressful court trial? That Venus was suppose to be ready physically for an EXHIBITIAN? :haha:

Sam L
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM
Hopman Cup is not a WTA event. So it is doubtful he made Venus enter it, when there are other WTA events going on at the very same time.

Whether or not the WTA is making players enter regular tour events, even when they are not fit and have no intention of playing, I don't know. But the idea that some people think that is proof the WTA is developing an image problem of its own.

What I think many people DO believe these days is that the WTA and the tournments delay announcement of withdrawals, sometimes until the last minute, hoping to sell more tickets in what amounts to a bait and switch scheme.

I think the Willies have just been the most visible players involved in frequent withdrawals, although there are others who have quit tournaments under what may be questionable circumstances.

I think Venus and Serena have actually reached the stage where people are now surprised when they do turn up and play.

I think it's about time they both retired. They've shown no commitment to tennis and they've hardly played. It's not fair on the sport and their fans.

Ryan
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Just so it's clarified: my post was not referring to the Hopman Cup, but to the overall criticism of Venus and other players' withdrawsl from regular events.

LudwigDvorak
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:23 PM
Oh, alright then. Sorry about that. That's a little different, but if Venus is going to get injured playing like she did in Luxembourg, something has to give, you know?

Ryan
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
I know, I just got annoyed at everyone neglecting to realize that the tour does have a part in the withdrawls, because they coerce players to commit to events when they know they won't be healthy.

GoDominique
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
I know, I just got annoyed at everyone neglecting to realize that the tour does have a part in the withdrawls, because they coerce players to commit to events when they know they won't be healthy.
That might be true. BUT ...

What prevents players like Venus and Serena from speaking up against these procedures, like Lindsay has done to a certain extend?
I mean, these players aren't helpless little girls. They are grown women and multiple Slam winners. Don't you think their word would have some sort of impact if they raised their voice about it?

But, they don't, and allow their names to be dragged into the mud over the continuous withdrawals.
Why? I don't know, but I guess they don't really care about tennis and the tour or about their image. That's fine, but then criticism must be allowed.

Ryan
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:51 PM
I completely agree GoDom. If they really cared about not withdrawing, they wouldn't allo themselves to be bullied by the tour. Maybe some of it is not wanting to upset people, maybe it's the hope that they will be healthy enough to play, I don't know.

Joana
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
And the tour can't force them to commit to any tournament. If they really don't want to play they won't play and there's nothing WTA can do about it. The worst that can happen to them is to be denied a WC for a tournament in case they sign up late, just like it was the case with Lindsay.

PLP
Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
In fariness to V: I think she was very optimistic about this coming season plus she really loves playing for her country, she was a logical 1st choice for the Hopman Cup.
Too bad she isn't ready to play but she needs to heal before she comes back. She isn't retiring anytime soon so certain posters can keep dreaming :wavey:

Stamp Paid
Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:13 PM
I find the criticism by those who dislike Venus amusing and far from genuine.

I know right! :worship:

Stamp Paid
Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:17 PM

Please, he is a Hingis fan first and foremost. :tape: