PDA

View Full Version : Venus concern for Australian Open

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:58 AM
From the BBC:

Former world number one Venus Williams is a doubt for the Australian Open after suffering a wrist injury.

Williams, 26, has pulled out of the Hopman Cup and faces a race against time to be fit for the first Grand Slam of 2007 which starts on 15 January.

"She has been seeing the doctors and she is having a lot of trouble hitting her backhand," said Hopman Cup director Paul McNamee.
He added that the injury "has to cast a doubt" over her Australian Open hopes.

The five-time Grand Slam champion has battled injury throughout a troubled 2006, playing just a handful of events and withdrawing from tournaments in Moscow and Stuttgart. Her place in the Hopman Cup, which starts on 30 December in Perth, is taken by Ashley Harkleroad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6199085.stm

LDF
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:02 AM
Oh Venus :sad:

I really hope she makes it, but I don't want her to rush herself...

Jaffas85
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:06 AM
She's deffinitely the Mark Philippoussis of the women's tour meaning she has all the talent but is apparently always "injured" and is more concerned about anything and everything that isn't tennis.

I severely doubt she'll even be back in the Top 30.

Vamos.
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:13 AM
She's deffinitely the Mark Philippoussis of the women's tour meaning she has all the talent but is apparently always "injured" and is more concerned about anything and everything that isn't tennis.

I think that is an insult to Venus. I know you are Australian but what Venus has achieved in the Women's game cannot even be compared with what Mark has not achieved in the men's game...

supergrunt
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:16 AM
:sad:

Jaffas85
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:19 AM
I think that is an insult to Venus. I know you are Australian but what Venus has achieved in the Women's game cannot even be compared with what Mark has not achieved in the men's game...

In her hey day Venus won many more prestigeous events and reached #1 but currently they both seem to be languishing in the same place; both talented and professing to be focused on tennis yet constantly dissapointing and constantly "injured". And if they are genuine injuries they cannot be looking after themselves very well, as professional athletes should, as they seem to constantly be injured.

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:24 AM
Stay on topic please ...

Ben.
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM
well fact is that venus has done better than what philipoussis can do anyday. i know i'm australian but i'm fair.

besides that i really do hope venus plays the AO but her health must come
first. she shouldn't rush & she should play when she feel she's ready & the wrist has been fully healed. i feel so sad :sad: that she is in this state of being injured & possibly not playin the AO but we just have to be positive.

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:29 AM
Well for Venus fans to look at it in a positive way ... she won't lose any (i count two points as virtually none) points for not competing in AO 2007 because she lost in the 1st round in 2006 to Pironkova (:worship: Pironkova :worship:)

Ben.
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:33 AM
Well for Venus fans to look at it in a positive way ... she won't lose any (i count two points as virtually none) points for not competing in AO 2007 because she lost in the 1st round in 2006 to Pironkova (:worship: Pironkova :worship:)

:) plus even if venus is lowly ranked, she is still a dangerous floater in any draws & can just pull off upsets.

disco_rage
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:42 AM
Thats a shame she is missing Hopman Cup! Expected but a shame!
Hope Venus can play Melbourne!

vettipooh
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:46 AM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pooh14
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:54 AM
is better she rest rather then taking risk her injury.

The Dawntreader
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:59 AM
Venus!:sad: :sad:

Just rest that wrist, i know its a Slam, but you have almost zero points to defend. Just work on being fit for the rest of the year:sad:

vwfan
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:20 PM
Highly doubtful that she can play and be ready to do any real damage without her backhand. The last place you want to test a longstanding is in grand slam competition.

Hopefully, she will be back competing soon!

Viktymise
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:27 PM
:sad: but she should rest up if she's not healthy, she'll have more chances to play Aus in future, if she rests fully she'll have a better chance of playing the rest of the slams intead of just coming back when she's not ready, its tough for her because she still wants to be out there, contrary to alot of belief on this board :o

eugreene2
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:31 PM
Venus, in all likely hood, will NOT be at the Aussie. When asked about their schedule on the Steve Harvey Radio show, Serena said she had plans to play the Aussie. Venus didn't commit to anything. She knows she's not playing barring a miracle..

volta
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:39 PM
dont play if its gonna aggravate ur injury Venus

serenafan08
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:14 PM
Seriously, if there is any type of corrective surgery available for Venus, she should go through it. I just hope that she can get healthy and STAY healthy!!!

40-0
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:04 PM
V!! This cant be happening!! Seriously!

Brooks.
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:31 PM
I think it would be best for her to skip Australia.

hingisGOAT
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:44 PM
so i can't watch her get trumped by some journeywoman? :fiery:

StarDuvallGrant
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:47 PM
V!! This cant be happening!! Seriously!

What is the alternative :shrug:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:52 PM
as long as she gets healthy, I don't care how long it takes :sad:

tonythetiger
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:12 PM
The perfect time for her to have the surgery was this past summer. She would have had plenty of time to be healed up by know. I really hope she doesn't play because it is clear that she will not be ready.
Get well soon Venus!