PDA

View Full Version : Which other women have terrible serves?

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:39 AM
We all know Elena Dementieva's serve is terrible, which other women have really bad serves?

I think Martina's is very average in terms of pace but she mixed it up well. Patty's is fairly average and same goes for Schiavone.

Anybody else?

jazar
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:46 AM
golovin doesnt have a brilliant serve cos she doesnt put her ball toss forwards enough

RG Moonballer
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM
Peer's serve.

New_balls_please
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:17 AM
Marta Marrero and Camille Pin (Both former top-100) have a terrible serve :help:

Pasta-Na
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM
ting li :help: :tape:

Andy.
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:19 AM
Myskina's second serve is really slow

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:23 AM
Camille Pin is top 100 ... She is ranked 75 which is her career high singles ranking ...

Marta Marrero and Camille Pin (Both former top-100) have a terrible serve :help:

tennisbear7
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:24 AM
Venus can have a pretty terrible serve.

Camille Pin... :tape:

PLP
We all know Elena Dementieva's serve is terrible, which other women have really bad serves?

I think Martina's is very average in terms of pace but she mixed it up well. Patty's is fairly average and same goes for Schiavone.

Anybody else?
Yeah, I agree, Martina can use her serve very effectively when she mixes it up well. Patty's 1st serve can be BOOMING actually! :bounce:

Dementieva Serve
Emelie Loit, Jelena Kostanic and Tathiana Garbin also have fairly dodgy serves ...

PLP
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:25 AM
golovin doesnt have a brilliant serve cos she doesnt put her ball toss forwards enough

Yes, but it can be very good when it is on!

:inlove:
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:25 AM
How can we have 10 posts without the name Antonella Serra Zanetti coming up. :help: :help:

RR-87
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:27 AM
How can we have 10 posts without the name Antonella Serra Zanetti coming up. :help: :help:

my thoughts exactly :haha:

So Disrespectful
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:28 AM
:lol: I was just about to say Antonella. Most club players have a better serve than her.

And as for Patty, her first serve is very deceptive. I'd probably say it's one of the better serves actually :shrug:

RR-87
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM
Patty's serve is dangerous for sure, cause she is left-handed and it's hard to return it ;)

Ben.
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:35 AM

:lol: yeah i was bout to name her u know.

others i can name r dominguez lino, medina garrigues, muller & smashnova. all of them have slow boring 1st serves & i don't even need to mention what they're 2nd serve r like :tape:

yeah myskina's 2nd serve is slow as well too, but it really only breaks down against the elite though unlike those ones i just mentioned.

but a lot of players don't have a good 2nd serve though like a molik or a stosur or a sharapova.

New_balls_please
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:36 AM
Yes.. Antonella :tape: :tape:

:inlove:
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM
but a lot of players don't have a good 2nd serve though like a molik or a stosur or a sharapova.

Are you saying those 3 have bad second serves? :scratch: :confused:

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:43 AM
Hmm maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Patty because I never saw her play at all in 2006 ... Has it improved? Actually I don't think I saw her play in 2005 either :lol:

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:44 AM
Razzano's second serve is very slow but her first serve actually isn't too bad ...

Asif_Nawaz
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:47 AM
Would you call ALG's serve terrible?

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:51 AM
I haven't seen her play since Hopman Cup at the start of the year but from what I remember it was fairly powerful. I think she serves several DFs though ... and I'm not so sure her second serve was fantastic ...

Would you call ALG's serve terrible?

Ben.
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:54 AM
Are you saying those 3 have bad second serves? :scratch: :confused:

what i meant to say was that molik, stosur & sharapova have good 2nd serves while the others i mentioned don't.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:55 AM
I haven't seen her play since Hopman Cup at the start of the year but from what I remember it was fairly powerful. I think she serves several DFs though ... and I'm not so sure her second serve was fantastic ...

she serves so many DFs cos she always goes for her 2nd serves-which is stupid at times, but sharapova used to do the same thing before she discovered the wonder of the slice and kick serves

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:57 AM
:lol: I must say I do the same :help:

she serves so many DFs cos she always goes for her 2nd serves-which is stupid at times, but sharapova used to do the same thing before she discovered the wonder of the slice and kick serves

Rtael
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:57 AM
Aniko Kapros.

xieergai
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:34 PM
Li Ting

rrfnpump
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:20 PM
Madalina-Victorita Gojnea :help:

Golovin has a decent serve, its far from being "terrible"

Viktymise
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM
Douchevina

Billabong
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:33 PM
Aniko Kapros, Camille Pin, Antonella Serra-Zanetti;)

Atrixo
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:42 PM

Whoa baby! She ain't got a pretty serve, that's for sure. ;) :lol:

Dementinator
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM
Well as I see it Lenas is not the worst serve in womens tennis ,prob the worst in top 20 ,but Camile Pins I find amazing ,its like Lenas slowest 2nd serves from 2004 but without the awkward slice and she does it ALL the time. I have seen a Citroen 2CV with a wanked carburettor and a misfire go quicker than Pins serves.

Viktymise
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM
Well as I see it Lenas is not the worst serve in womens tennis ,prob the worst in top 20 ,but Camile Pins I find amazing ,its like Lenas slowest 2nd serves from 2004 but without the awkward slice and she does it ALL the time. I have seen a Citroen 2CV with a wanked carburettor and a misfire go quicker than Pins serves.

:lol: how she can beat some of the players she has with that serve baffles me, at least lena backs her serve up with some of the best movement and groundstrokes in the game, the rest of Pins game is pretty ordinary :tape: she's definatley maximised her potential

mila_mail
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:33 PM
camellie Pin,

i would recommend you to see her serves in the first round of Australia Open 2005 against Serena Williams. It's REALLY TERRIBLE!!!!!

Tenis Srbija
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:29 PM
Antoanella Serra-Zanetti... first on the list, then 1.000.000 empty spots :D

Craigy
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:03 PM

Because someone thinks Golovin's serve isn't good :lol:

-sugi-
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:15 PM
Aniko Kapros :sad:

Europe rocks
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:42 PM
Lots of expected names popping up on this list :lol: Even though Lena's serve is pretty slow, it isn't that bad in the fact that she can sometimes get quite a bit of slice on it, making it harder to return

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:45 PM
Amy Frazier :sad: If it wasn't for her shakey serve she would have reached the top 10:p

LH2HBH
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:51 PM
In the words of Pam Shriver "Patty can pretty much hit every corner of the service box". She can flatten out her first serve and her kick serve and her slice serve are both pretty decent.

In terms of cream puffs - Myskina comes to mind.

adam_ads_n
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:58 PM
Domachowska, but only from time to time. She was able to make 15 DF against Suarez this season, also 17 against Peer in 2005. When she is in form, there are no such problems.

Cat's Pajamas
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:03 PM
Conchita Martinez's serve was never very threatening. Her second serve was about as good as club ladies :o

Craigy
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:16 PM
Conchita Martinez's serve was never very threatening. Her second serve was about as good as club ladies :o

Conchita's serve :lol: :lol:

jamatthews
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:19 PM
Golovin's serve really improved after the US Open (and it wasn't "terrible" to begin with).

saniamania
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:23 PM
Sania Mirza's serve is pretty ordinary, and her action seems to undego slight changes in each tournament!

mb011
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:26 PM
I think Dokic. She never had a good serve.

The Dawntreader
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:27 PM
Conchita's serve :lol: :lol:

I liked conchi's serve:lol:

It was funny to see when she wasnt very confident, how low the ball toss got, almost looked like she was going to hit herself on the head with her racquet.

Clijster's serve can wobble a bit, poor weight transference at times. Capriati's serve used to be all over the place, especially in 2002 where the ball toss was here, there and everywhere :haha: Improved since however:)

Safarova's second serve:tape:

Marcus1979
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:37 PM
ANika Kapros :help:

How did she beat Justine with that serve at 2002 Roland Garros :lol:

The Dawntreader
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:40 PM

I remember the 'battle of the second serves' against Kapros and Myskina at Wimby 04 :haha:

.Andrew.
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:14 PM
Hmm maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Patty because I never saw her play at all in 2006 ... Has it improved? Actually I don't think I saw her play in 2005 either :lol:

Patty has a great serve. She mixes it up really well ;) :D :worship:

.Andrew.
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:15 PM

Kapros serve=:tape: :help:

She was actually a pretty good player though :D :lol:

goldenlox
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:17 PM
Some players, like Lena and Nastya, have good careers with their serves.
Kapros might have had a very solid career with a decent serve. Her groundstrokes are very good.

The Dawntreader
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:19 PM
Kapros serve=:tape: :help:

She was actually a pretty good player though :D :lol:

Her groundstrokes were pretty good, excellent depth and angle:)

Sabatini's second serve was :tape: as was Sanchez Vicario's. more than made up for it in their overall games of course:D

ALG's second serve is painful to watch at times, puts too much pace on it:rolleyes:

.Andrew.
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:22 PM
Her groundstrokes were pretty good, excellent depth and angle:)

Sabatini's second serve was :tape: as was Sanchez Vicario's. more than made up for it in their overall games of course:D

ALG's second serve is painful to watch at times, puts too much pace on it:rolleyes:

Yeah, Sabatini and Sanchez-Vicario had bad serves but the rest of their game made up for it. As goldenlox pointed out, so did Nasty and Lena D. :worship: :D

roscoe111
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:38 PM
Nobody can compete with Antonella Serra-Zanetti in this category.
Her serve is comically awful.
After a shaky toss, Antonella plaintively searches the sky before softly
tapping the ball toward her opponent.
How she manages to stay ranked near the top 100 is amazing.
(although to give her credit she can really slash her groundies)

I swear you could take a complete beginner, and give them a month of lessons and they" d have a better serve than Serra-Zanetti.

frenchie
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:47 PM

Anybody else?

those 2 have a pretty good serve, especially Patty who is often leading the aces stats during the Slams:rolleyes:

miss_molik
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:58 PM

Haha, yeah:lol: it was so hard for alicia (when she played her at rg) to get any good returns with that serve

She serves like me, and i've only been playing tennis for a term!:lol:

Carsten
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:59 PM
Martina Müller

Ntour
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:24 AM
hana sromova

SvetaPleaseWin.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:07 AM
Nobody can compete with Antonella Serra-Zanetti in this category.
Her serve is comically awful.
After a shaky toss, Antonella plaintively searches the sky before softly
tapping the ball toward her opponent.
How she manages to stay ranked near the top 100 is amazing.
(although to give her credit she can really slash her groundies)

I swear you could take a complete beginner, and give them a month of lessons and they" d have a better serve than Serra-Zanetti.

i like the way it looks like shes gonna stop after the toss and just catch the ball but then she does a freaky one legged jump thing :tape:

to be fair-this thread could go on forever, there are so many players on the womens tour with, shall we say, dodgy serves

Привет
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:21 AM
Not sure about crap servers, but when I just came on here, the first 5 threads in GM were all started by Dementieva Serve. And apart from that Dementieva Serve had 3 other threads which were on the first page of GM. :lol: :) I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this, at least the threads Dementieva Serve start involve something remotely interesting to discuss. :yeah:

Karim A
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:23 AM
Anna-Lena Groenefeld has a really worse Second serve :wavey:

Carsten
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:40 AM
Anna-Lena Groenefeld has a really worse Second serve :wavey:

No thats not really true... she sometimes hits aces with it.. ok the last time she's making many DFs, but if its in her 2nd serve is not bad...

shrOOf
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
schruffs 2nd serve is also terrible :sad:

DevilishAttitude
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:15 PM

Anybody else?

Schiavone has a average serve? :haha:

Fran's serve is one of the better serves in the game. She can smack it to 120mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6qd273bvQ

The serve of Serra Zanetti.

:help:

TS
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM
^
I don't understand how someone can call themselves a pro, and have a serve like that?!?!?!?! Surely it must be due to some sort of injury, otherwise, well, I guess I just have no words :o

That video just highlights how AWFUL that serve is. Watching that single tiebreaker was torture, imagine sitting through the whole match, or worse - being Alicia Molik and having to play her for 2 hours and come close to losing :tape:

In fairness, she has good groundies, but that serve is all kinds of fucked up :D I don't remember her serve being that ridiculous, so I'm convinced it's due to some sort of injury.

Kirt12255
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:07 AM
Razzano's second serve :tape:

iPatty
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:11 AM

Anybody else?

you're kidding, right?

patty's serve is one of the best on tour. where'd you get it was "fairly average"?

morningglory
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:53 AM
:lol: Well, Elena's in good company then... :lol:
TBH look a decade back, and watch how the top players serve now, it's really easy to see how much the game has developed.

MikeJones
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:39 AM
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3681/bartoli1kb5.jpg
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8674/bartoli2lh4.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4172/bartoli3qy4.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6258/bartoli4sy5.jpg
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6052/bartoli5wc4.jpg