PDA

View Full Version : Venus out of Hopman Cup officially :: France replaces Germany....

Dan23
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:34 AM
AMERICAN tennis superstar Venus Williams has pulled out of next month's Hyundai Hopman Cup at Burswood Dome.

Her omission is a huge blow to the event, which precedes the Australian Open.

In a statement released by the tournament today, a wrist injury was blamed for Williams' no-show.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,20961510-948,00.html

New teams:
Tatiana Golovin will partner Jerome Haehnel for France
Sania Mirza will partner Rohan Bopanna for India
Ashley Harkleroad will partner Mardy Fish for the US

Vacant
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:37 AM
:sad:

Andy.
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:37 AM
Crap Poor Venus I hope she will be OK for the AO, there goes the only player I really wanted to see at the event.

jamatthews
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:39 AM
To lose Venus Williams and Martina Muller in one day...:sad:

Brooklyn90
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:39 AM
oh Venus :sad:

Ferosh
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:47 AM
I can't say I'm surprised. I hope you get well soon, Venus.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:55 AM
Awwwwwwww poor Vee, I hope she's not out another 6 months :sad:

switz
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:56 AM
well at least Tati is in :bounce: wish Gasquet was playing with her though

Derek.
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:00 AM
Venus. :sad:

Ashley. :)

Tati. :D

southpaw58
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:01 AM
geez i can't handle this. GET WELL SOON VEE!

bucklemyshoe
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:10 AM
ugh...another year, another withdrawal filled season for the williams sisters...

Black Mamba.
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:14 AM
I'm close to dropping both Vee and Serena. This mess is out of control.

bucklemyshoe
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:16 AM
I'm close to dropping both Vee and Serena. This mess is out of control.

Exactly. I wish they would both just retire since they obviously don't (and haven't) care about coming back. Every year it is the same damn thing.

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:16 AM
I'm sorry but this getting ridiculous! :o Venus better stop committing events until she ready for play tennis then she can commit to tournaments again! She always let the fans down whom attending the tournaments all the time.

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:20 AM
I seriously think the WTA should give her with a warning if she keeps pulling out and she should get a fine. She's a joker.

Andrew..
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:24 AM
Good luck on the McDonalds Tour, Vee!

Sunny_Boy
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:34 AM
This Hopman Cup is getting worse and worse!
At least Ashley's in! :yeah:
WTF? France replacing Germany! Any other teams or players withdrawing?
Well at least Tati is playing, but I have never heard of her partner

PLP
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:35 AM
It's fine if Venus is truly on the road to recovery but5 I am a little surprised since she did play the exhibitions and seemed fine, except for the slicing. I hope she didn't make anything worse! :eek: Please be back soon!

StarDuvallGrant
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:37 AM
I hope Venus is fit enough by the time the Australian Open comes by.

PLP
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:38 AM
Yeah!! I just saw Ash was playing! Hopefully 2007 will be good for you Ashley! :bounce:

I am glad Tati is in as well, at least the competition is still decent, even w/o Venus :sad:

TS
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:45 AM
Like anyone honestly believed she was coming anyway...

Oh well, the event now has Tati and Ashley. They'll be much better to watch than Muller :tape:

Cat's Pajamas
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:47 AM
Shit vee. :rolleyes:

quit commiting and withdrawing, and why the hell did you play the stupid mcdonald's tour. ugh. she is pissing me off :rolleyes:

at least Tati and Ashley are in though :)

But honestly Venus, just go away for a while or come back when you KNOW you are 100%.

DutchieGirl
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:50 AM
Gee...what a big surprise...

oh wait...NOT! :tape:

France's team is (for me) much nicer than the German team that would have been competing, and Ashley is OK - although USA's chances don't get any better with her playing...

aussy89
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:58 AM
wat the is happening with this yrs hopman i personally i think it was the worst idea in inviting venus in first place like everyone would of thought from the start shell pull out , she may aswell retire im sry for fans of venus but shes really stuffing around the tournaments,officials and most importantly the fans. i think lisa should of been asked in the first place considering she won it the yr before an im a big fan of molik but to turn ur head on the number 1 aussy female player and number 1 world double player was wrong as well. im happy with the field but hopman cup jus is going down the gurgle atm, sry guys if u dnt agree with me but its jus wat i think =)

Stamp Paid
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:01 AM
Shit vee. :rolleyes:

quit commiting and withdrawing, and why the hell did you play the stupid mcdonald's tour. ugh. she is pissing me off :rolleyes:

at least Tati and Ashley are in though :)

But honestly Venus, just go away for a while or come back when you KNOW you are 100%.

Because its a charity exhibition she committed to, and you see how she was forced to play because of her injury. You saw those pictures of her wrists and the brace shes been wearing recently.

And Venus is obviously trying to wait until shes 100%, thats why she pulled out of the event.
-------------------------------

Im sure now she wont be able to play the Australian Open. Damn.

winone23
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:10 AM
Bummer :sad:

TS
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:25 AM
wat the is happening with this yrs hopman i personally i think it was the worst idea in inviting venus in first place like everyone would of thought from the start shell pull out , she may aswell retire im sry for fans of venus but shes really stuffing around the tournaments,officials and most importantly the fans. i think lisa should of been asked in the first place considering she won it the yr before an im a big fan of molik but to turn ur head on the number 1 aussy female player and number 1 world double player was wrong as well. im happy with the field but hopman cup jus is going down the gurgle atm, sry guys if u dnt agree with me but its jus wat i think =)

To be honest, I don't know if I agree with you because I have absolutely no idea what you just wrote :eek:

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:36 AM
I think Sam better play in the Gold Coast so, Alicia can play more matches that help her to prepare for the Open.

Andy.
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:40 AM
Well Im happy now that we have Sania, Ashley and Tati, Im really looking foreward to seeing those girls play.

selyoink
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:43 AM
Pretty crap partner for Tati.

Hardly a surprise that Venus withdrew.

ttaM
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:44 AM
I'd rather see a fit Venus in Miami than a shaky Venus losing in the first week in Australia...again.

plantman
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:44 AM
If the wrist is still the problem after all this time, it's doubtful she'll ever make it back to competitive tennis. Perhaps she should stick to playing the charity events and not become known as the "Withdrawl Queen"........

venus_rulez
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:52 AM
Most of the posts in this thread further reiterate to me why the Williams' sisters have never cared what anyone outside of their close circle have thought of them. If she had gone to Perth injured, people would have said she should have withdrawn if she wasnt going to be able to give 100% effort. Or what if she had had to withdraw halfway through the Cup. The Sisters will never win with some of you, so it's a good thing they aren't trying.

serenafan08
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:53 AM
Maybe Venus should consider surgery to correct her wrist problems - if that will help. This has been a recurring thing with her for a long time. I hope she gets well soon. :tears:

Andy.
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:54 AM
Maybe Venus should consider surgery to correct her wrist problems - if that will help. This has been a recurring thing with her for a long time. I hope she gets well soon. :tears:
Exactly fix the problem once and for all and then come back when your 100% fit and ready

xin_hui
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:55 AM

after trying to understand your post, all i can say re sam stosur is, face it, alicia's the bigger drawcard than sam. alicia would normally have a higher ranking than sam. and alicia has in the past been the number 1 choice for HC organisers. so no surprise alicia got the nod ahead of sam

moreover, isn't it a good thing that sam is playing in her hometown gold coast :shrug:

Diesel
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:01 AM
Because its a charity exhibition she committed to, and you see how she was forced to play because of her injury. You saw those pictures of her wrists and the brace shes been wearing recently.

And Venus is obviously trying to wait until shes 100%, thats why she pulled out of the event.

:worship:

aussie_fan
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:09 AM
Geez, the amount of withdrawals from this event is getting insane. I just hope there aren't any injuries during the tournament this time around.

santhuruu
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:21 AM
This really sucks, I don't think that she will even go to the Australian Open, I think she might come back during the clay season like in 2000. Or at Wimbledon, because this injury looks serious.

aussy89
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:27 AM
yeah nah i agree im happy sammy playing on the gold coast because the ranking points will do her good an hopeully have a great week there im happy that alicia is coming to perth because shes guarented the match practice before aus open im nt sayin im nt happy with it cause i am,

the sorta point i was makin is that yeah i was annoyed that alicia got sick as any fan was, but heres sam trying to make her stand in aus as the leading female that she was suddenly givin and shes done very well at 29 an number 1 in world in doubs but she will always be seen as the 2nd ranked aussie as alicia is always the first, with the fan vote an that she did make it to number 8. ok i knw im rambling ere but hopefully ppl can get a idea wat im saying. my main point is sam will never be givn the opportunity to be aussies leading lady as its always gona be alicia no mater were she stands in the rankings. if by the end of 08/09 alicia is better ranked the sammy then i arrest my case =( sry if none this makes sense but jus trying to make my point =) i love both players. but i think sam deserves more credit then she has been given.

aussie_fan
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:33 AM
yeah nah i agree im happy sammy playing on the gold coast because the ranking points will do her good an hopeully have a great week there im happy that alicia is coming to perth because shes guarented the match practice before aus open im nt sayin im nt happy with it cause i am,

the sorta point i was makin is that yeah i was annoyed that alicia got sick as any fan was, but heres sam trying to make her stand in aus as the leading female that she was suddenly givin and shes done very well at 29 an number 1 in world in doubs but she will always be seen as the 2nd ranked aussie as alicia is always the first, with the fan vote an that she did make it to number 8. ok i knw im rambling ere but hopefully ppl can get a idea wat im saying. my main point is sam will never be givn the opportunity to be aussies leading lady as its always gona be alicia no mater were she stands in the rankings. if by the end of 08/09 alicia is better ranked the sammy then i arrest my case =( sry if none this makes sense but jus trying to make my point =) i love both players. but i think sam deserves more credit then she has been given.

i wouldn't worry about it, sammy is much better off getting ranking points at gold coast instead of playing hopman cup. Gold Coast is her home event, if she was given the oppurnity to play at hopman cup, it would of been silly to take it.

Alicia is still a bigger act then sammy espically of the success she had over that period before she got sick.

hwanmig
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:44 AM
I'm hardly surprised:o

Josh.
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:46 AM
:woohoo: tati and ashley :kiss:

Black Mamba.
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:53 AM
We say we'd rather have them skip X tourney or Y tourney to be healthy for Z tourney but that never happens. Serena or Venus comeback "healthy" according to them not us, then after a couple of tourneys they're hurt again.

Jeff
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:56 AM
Vee :sad: I hope she is going to be healthy for Australia.

Venus or Ashley...hmmm! lol! Nah I like Ashley, but obviously team USA will suffer with this replacement.

Slumpsova
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:59 AM
not even a surprise :o

RJWCapriati
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:02 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Brett.
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:03 AM
I love watching Venus playing tennis - That's a shock for this new!

Привет
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:16 AM
Well I'm disappointed that Venus is out :(
But I get to watch Tati :)
And Ashley, well, I couldn't really care less who replaced Venus :lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:41 AM
I seriously think the WTA should give her with a warning if she keeps pulling out and she should get a fine. She's a joker.

:rolleyes: there are no words :rolleyes:

:worship: DAMN FUCKING STRAIGHT!

rocksania
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:54 AM
its really sad i was loking 4ward to the match of $ania vs venus in the hopman cup...

Langers
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:26 AM
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,20961510-948,00.html

New teams:
Tatiana Golovin will partner Jerome Haehnel for France
Sania Mirza will partner Rohan Bopanna for India
Ashley Harkleroad will partner Mardy Fish for the US
Wow, I like the first and third additions to the tournament. ;)

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:32 AM
Venus being out doesn't really bother me I guess. Same goes with Martina Muller. I'm happy Tati is playing and I guess Ashley playing will add a bit of glamour to the tournament :lol:

Langers
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM
I'm happy Tati is playing and I guess Ashley playing will add a bit of glamour to the tournament :lol:
Too right. :hatoff: ;)

Martian Stacey
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:35 AM
Wow what a blow for the tournament, though I shouldn't really be surprised. I'm glad Ashley is in :) And I prefer the French team to the German team anyway :lol:

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:40 AM
Yeah I definitely prefer the French team to the German team.

jazar
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:41 AM
not really a suprise venus pulled out, just have to wait for serena to pull out of hobart now.
so with france playing does that mean jerome haehnel has got over his fear of flying?

DavyJone96431
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM
over it

Привет
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:13 AM
not really a suprise venus pulled out, just have to wait for serena to pull out of hobart now.
so with france playing does that mean jerome haehnel has got over his fear of flying?

Jerome had a fear of flying :confused: And I am ecstatic that France replace Germany, Tati :hearts: and any French dude is better than Kiefer :lol: Although a Gasquet/Tatiana combination would have been nice, after their Roland Garros mixed win a few years back.

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:40 AM
Yeah I wish Gasquet was playing too ...

DutchieGirl
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:41 AM
Jerome had a fear of flying :confused: And I am ecstatic that France replace Germany, Tati :hearts: and any French dude is better than Kiefer :lol: Although a Gasquet/Tatiana combination would have been nice, after their Roland Garros mixed win a few years back.

I would prefer Monfils but oh well... ;)

Langers
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:45 AM
Can anyone say, "Overrated"? :o ;)

CooCooCachoo
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:53 AM
Haehnel :rolls:

-Makiri-
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:54 AM
Haehnel? :eek:

FrenchY52
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM
What a news !! I'll follow the HC for the first time ;)
And Jerôme sucks but can play really well i think :rolleyes:

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:17 PM
:(

new-york
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM
oh.

goldenlox
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:35 PM
A lot of new faces this year. It's the first Hopman Cup for Nadia and Tursunov.

Dexter
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:36 PM
Hardly surprising.If I were fan of Venus... damn it must be hard for you as she keeps committing to X tournaments and withdraw from 90% of them 2 weeks before :o

thrust
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:59 PM
Wash^t she just playing exhibitions with her sister? If she is so fragile, perhaps she should retire. Her act is getting tiresone.

Viktymise
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:02 PM
Vee :bigcry: i had a bit of a feeling she was gonna pull out but i was hoping she would be ok, i knew her using a singled handed BH at the Mcdonals Exo's wasn't a promising sign, i hope she ok for Aus :scared: come back when your healthy girl :kiss:

Harju.
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM
I kinda knew Tati would have played here, given a chance since she was supposed to play 2 years ago but needed to play GC because of GE.

No Tati/Richie though :(

Ryan
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:01 PM
I hope people realize one thing: although it's annoying that Venus and other players keep withdrawing from events, the WTA is practically FORCING them to commit to them when they know they cannot play. This was huge with Lindsay last? year, when she told Larry Scott she wouldn't commit to tournies she didn't plan to play. So although this is annoying, it's really not the players' choice.

goldenlox
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:05 PM
Hopman Cup has nothing to do with the WTA

Ryan
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:14 PM
No, but it seems the topic of this thread, and the posts, are a little different. People are linking this withdrawl with ALL of Venus' before.

Craigy
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:57 PM
Tati!! :woohoo:
Venus, please get better :scared:

P_Fer
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:01 PM
Vee:sad: I hope you are fit to play AO.

Good luck India.

Highlandman
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM
Oh no! "Happy new year" :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

RJWCapriati
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Drake1980
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM
I hope Muller plays in GC or Auckland now if she can

Drake1980
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:38 PM
Oh no! "Happy new year" :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Sorry:sad::hug: I know how much you were looking forward to that matchup.

LUXXXAS
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:40 PM
OMFG what a surprise :bolt: :tape:

:inlove:
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:44 PM
Oh for God's sake. :o :bigcry:

Natash.
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:49 PM
Oh well. xD

Happy that Ashley and Tati are in it. <3!

SoClose
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:10 PM
VENUS:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: please stop doing that

.Andrew.
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:17 PM
Venus :sad:

Tati :D

Couver
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:50 PM
Get well soon Vee :sad: I think her wrist is pretty bad so I doubt we will see her at the Oz Open. I think she'll probably make her comeback in Miami. It should give her a nice rest time to recover. Didn't she already have surgery on her wrist? Or was that just speculation?

And as a real Venus fan her withdrawls do not bother me. Because she is injured and your health is your number one priority. I've never expected the athletes I support to risk career ending injury just to statisfy my need to see them play. I'd rather she take the time off to heal and comeback when she is ready. Hopefully her body can allow her to do that.

Diesel
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:14 PM
Hardly surprising.If I were fan of Venus... damn it must be hard for you as she keeps committing to X tournaments and withdraw from 90% of them 2 weeks before :o

:lol:

-sugi-
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:19 PM
:sad:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:36 PM
Poor Venus :sad: Get well soon :sobbing:

Steffica Greles
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:21 PM
You do have to wonder about Venus' career, don't you.

She hasn't had a decent run in a tournament since Stanford 2005, from what I recall, which was off the back of her Wimbledon success. And we all know that before Wimbledon 2005, Venus seemed like she had been in an irreversible descent since mid-2004.

Venus doesn't want to have to play at less than 80% of her peak, which was probably in 2000-2003. She would probably accept that some of her abilities are restricted by the potentiality for injuries.

But we have to wonder whether she's capable of playing even close to her old form without injuring herself very swiftly. In which case, will Venus want to go on much longer?

Привет
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:01 AM

:lol: Not sure about whether Gael is overrated, but he would have been a nice addition to the tournament, either Gasquet or Monfils would have been nice, but at least I get to watch Tati :hearts: :D

miss_molik
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:11 AM
damn, i was really looking forward to the Alicia and Venus clash :(

Ntour
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:23 AM
great that france replaced germany would have been better if gasquet could play

ashley's an okay relacemen i guess

DutchieGirl
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:48 AM

yet better than the dude they got...and I did say who I would prefer!

DutchieGirl
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:52 AM
I hope people realize one thing: although it's annoying that Venus and other players keep withdrawing from events, the WTA is practically FORCING them to commit to them when they know they cannot play. This was huge with Lindsay last? year, when she told Larry Scott she wouldn't commit to tournies she didn't plan to play. So although this is annoying, it's really not the players' choice.

Well, actually, it is - they could do what Lindsay did and just not commit... ;)

DutchieGirl
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:56 AM
I hope Muller plays in GC or Auckland now if she can

If she's not on the lists (which I guess she wouldn't be, as she was meant to play HC, and I don't think she was actually planning on playing that week anyway) then I think she's gonna find it hard to get a WC to those events. ;)

Ben.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:02 AM
If she's not on the lists (which I guess she wouldn't be, as she was meant to play HC, and I don't think she was actually planning on playing that week anyway) then I think she's gonna find it hard to get a WC to those events. ;)

too true ;)

TomTennis
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
:sad: Still injured. I hope your wrist heals soon. The AO is looming and hopefully you are healthy by then, but if not, take all the time you need! :wavey: