PDA

View Full Version : Strange Incidents on the WTA Tour

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:27 AM
On this thread post strange incidents that have occurs on the WTA tour.

Here are some I can think of:

Mauresmo winning the Australian Open 2006 with 3 retirements

Ana Ivanovic winning Canberra 2005 as a Qualifier defeating Melinda Czink (LL) in the final after Ivanovic already defeated Czink in the qualifying!

Jelena Dokic and Alexandra Stevenson playing each other in the 1st Round of Wimbledon Qualifying 2006. The last time they played each other on grass was the Quarterfinal of the maindraw in Wimbledon (which Stevenson won in three sets). In 1999, Dokic and Stevenson were both qualifiers, in 2006, they both recieved WC's into the qualifying draw.

Kim Clijsters becoming the first player to reach World No.1 before winning a Grand Slam

Any others?

stevos
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:32 AM
The Ivanovic one is cool :lol:

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:07 AM
Yeah. It's weird :lol:

jamatthews
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:22 AM
Jelena Dokic and Alexandra Stevenson playing each other in the 1st Round of Wimbledon Qualifying 2006. The last time they played each other on grass was the Quarterfinal of the maindraw in Wimbledon (which Stevenson won in three sets). In 1999, Dokic and Stevenson were both qualifiers, in 2006, they both recieved WC's into the qualifying draw.

I thought Stevenson used her SR?

Brett.
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:30 AM
Yeh i think Dokic was a better one! She was only 16 and two months! :eek:

rocksania
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:11 AM
$ania mirza beating hingis .......:bohttp://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1492/f13uz2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
unce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/7282/mirzatashkentfw7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

it was the best thing that could have happened to $ANIA DARLING,,,,,.

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM
sidlovessania what is with the $'s instead of the s's?

rocksania
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:15 AM
actually its my style of writing actaully i love $$$$ and other currency and for me $ania is not so normal she is an angel and as others i like my name so only $'$ instead of s's ...

hope u got it ...

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:51 AM
Ted Watts forgetting the F-ING SCORE @ Wimbledon :rolleyes::fiery:

Ben.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:57 AM
Kim Clijsters becoming the first player to reach World No.1 before winning a Grand Slam

not a bad achievement actually :)

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:32 AM
-Anne Kremer vs. Jennifer Hopkins (Amelia Island)- was played on a court where the service boxes were off by THREE FEET!!! As a result both playes kept double faulting. It got so bad that Jennifer finally spoke out but the ref said everything was fine. After the match they realized they goofed big time. The result was final however, since it was determined they were both at the same disadvantage.

-Venus was penalized a game point for twice shedding her hair beads on the court. "I'm not causing a disturbance here!" she screamed to the chair umpire, then she began to weep and eventually lost the match to Lindsay.

-Michael Llodra killed a bird in mid flight while serving.

-Steffi beating Natasha Zvereva 6-0,6-0 in 34 minutes at the French Open Final in 1987.

-Justine winning the US Open then being introduced as "Christine" to the crowd as he's giving her the trophy.

The other famous ones:
-Lindsay beating Sharapova 6-0,6-0 at Idian Wells
-Justine retiring at a slam final
-Justine and the hand incident
-JCap and Serena at the US Open

kittyking
Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:42 AM
I must admit Ted Watts was pretty strange (he kept on having mind blanks while reffing matches)

Adal
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:43 AM
The most strange one this year for me:
Dementieva defeating all her Grand Slam upsetters (Schruff - AO, Peer - RG, Sharapova - Wimby, Jankovic - USO) in CHRONOLOGICAL order in Los Angeles.

Pasta-Na
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
momo won AO and Wim.

Yan/zheng won AO and Wim.

-Makiri-
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:04 AM
Tax Garbin beating JUstine Henin at RG 2004:D

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
2005 grand slam finals....

serena williams beat lindsay AO
Belgian Justine easily beats Pierce RG
Venus williams beats lindsay WIM
Belgian Kim easily beats pierce US

dats kinda a wierd pattern

and i sorta found a pattern this year

A0 Amelie beats Justine
RG Justine beats Russian Svetlana
WIM Amelie beats Justine
US Justine loses to russian Maria

HenryMag.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Vaidisova beating Mauresmo in Moscow 1-6 7-5 7-6 after trailling 1-6 2-5 and saving 3 mp...

pka_liloo
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
Vaidisova beating Mauresmo in Moscow 1-6 7-5 7-6 after trailling 1-6 2-5 and saving 3 mp...

oh, oh.. that was a great match.. :worship: pitty I didn't make it to the Olympisky to watch (went only next day to watch Nicole losing to Nadya :sad:)

but certainly, I don't think this win was strange. :angel:

miffedmax
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
On this thread post strange incidents that have occurs on the WTA tour.

Here are some I can think of:

Mauresmo winning the Australian Open 2006 with 3 retirements

Ana Ivanovic winning Canberra 2005 as a Qualifier defeating Melinda Czink (LL) in the final after Ivanovic already defeated Czink in the qualifying!

Any others?

I thought Momo had a couple weeks at #1 before she won her Slams?

The Daviator
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
The runner-up at RG also being the runner-up at the US Open 4 years in a row :eek: ('02-'05)

Viktymise
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
The Free point Wimbledon 04 :sad:

HenryMag.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
The runner-up at RG also being the runner-up at the US Open 4 years in a row :eek: ('02-'05)

this is a interesting stat....Elena Dementieva is one of runner-up...:p

The Dawntreader
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:13 PM
Elena's consecutive 6-2 6-3 losses at the YEc's last year:eek: :lol:

goldenlox
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:51 PM
Lena D reaching the Miami final while hitting 59 df's in the tournament.

polishprodigy
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:02 PM
One incident that comes up in my mind is Sharapova's loss to Safina, where she lost her 5-1 lead in the third and lost the set 7-5 and thus the match.

I thought this thread was going to be about wackos on the tour...lol

pengluv
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
all the russians with grandslams played horrible when it came time to defend their grandslam title n lost 1st round in 05

urock34
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:44 PM
serena and venus beating sharapova and davenport in the semis then finals of there grand slams in 05

*JR*
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:45 PM
Stanford's Marissa Irvin lost b2b NCAA singles titles ('99 and '00)
Stanford's Laura Granville won b2b NCAA singles titles ('00 and '01)

So Marissa's 2nd straight loss in the finals was the same match as her teammate Laura's first of 2 straight finals wins.

Joana
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:54 PM
Pigeons landing on court just when Sharapova faced (and eventually saved) a match point against her in the R1 of Roland Garros this year.

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:54 AM
all the russians with grandslams played horrible when it came time to defend their grandslam title n lost 1st round in 05

Especially Sharapova who lost to the former two-time champion in the semis. It was the most pathetic performance!.. :rolleyes:

pengluv
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:10 AM
Especially Sharapova who lost to the former two-time champion in the semis. It was the most pathetic performance!..

umm dude since when was sharapova actually considered a russian

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:25 AM

Another goldenlox on the forum...
Great, just great... :yawn:

.Andrew.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:32 AM

The only Russians that lost in the First Round in a GS when defending their title in 2005 was Myskina (to Sanchez Lorenzo) and Kuznetsova (to Bychkova) I never knew Maria Sharapova lost in First Round of Wimbledon 05.. I thought she lost to Venus Williams in the SEMIFINALS :rolleyes:

pengluv
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:44 AM
umm by defending russians of course itd be myskina n kunetsova. Sharapova is as russian as michael jackson is straight or black or as black as haley berry. Even the othe russians dont consider sharapova one yet yall do.

eagletennis08
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:58 AM
:lol: the streaker:lol:

DutchieGirl
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:46 AM
I thought Momo had a couple weeks at #1 before she won her Slams?

It's quite possible. They just said that Kim was the first player to do that.

DutchieGirl
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:48 AM
Especially Sharapova who lost to the former two-time champion in the semis. It was the most pathetic performance!..

umm dude - since she was born!

DutchieGirl
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:49 AM
umm by defending russians of course itd be myskina n kunetsova. Sharapova is as russian as michael jackson is straight or black or as black as haley berry. Even the othe russians dont consider sharapova one yet yall do.

:cuckoo: I guess you can't read the tourney draws then. It doesn't matter what YOU consider Maria to be - fact is, she's RUSSIAN.

Ben.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:14 AM

eh mate :rolleyes: read this

SHE'S RUSSIAN, SHE WAS BORN THERE & SHE'S GONNA PLAY FED CUP FOR RUSSIA THAT'S WHAT

u r this :cuckoo: :lol: LOSER! get over yourself :tape:

plus i accidently gave u a good rep when i was meant to give u a bad rep. but the rep i sent u should defy itself as a bad rep :)

pengluv
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:24 AM
She may be born there but she was trained in our freaking soil. She speaks english better than russian too. She mite as well be a dokic case. Look so what if she was born in russia she moved here, she talks like an american, she acts like an american, and she looks like one. Can you think how her life would be if it was opposite, she moving to russia, training there, and then saying she plays for america. Just because youre blood of something doesnt mean you act it. What i mean is she doesnt act russian so i and about 90 percent of the tennis world dont consider her as a russian.

Lefty.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:27 AM
She may be born there but she was trained in our freaking soil. She speaks english better than russian too. She mite as well be a dokic case. Look so what if she was born in russia she moved here, she talks like an american, she acts like an american, and she looks like one. Can you think how her life would be if it was opposite, she moving to russia, training there, and then saying she plays for america. Just because youre blood of something doesnt mean you act it. What i mean is she doesnt act russian so i and about 90 percent of the tennis world dont consider her as a russian.

Is this a fact or something? How do you know?

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:19 AM
people may believe she is american because she acts like an american etc but the she is a citizen of russia, she was born there, she plays under their flag and wants to play fed cup for them...

Andy.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:02 AM

Its were she was born, she is a citizean and its the country she represents :rolleyes: http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-041.gif

DavyJone96431
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:09 AM
-Anne Kremer vs. Jennifer Hopkins (Amelia Island)- was played on a court where the service boxes were off by THREE FEET!!! As a result both playes kept double faulting. It got so bad that Jennifer finally spoke out but the ref said everything was fine. After the match they realized they goofed big time. The result was final however, since it was determined they were both at the same disadvantage.

-Michael Llodra killed a bird in mid flight while serving.

OMG, those two happened??? poor bird. (vomits and cries)

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:10 AM
checkmate

DavyJone96431
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:13 AM

OMG Venus 2002, Kim 2003, Demented 2004, Pierce 2005 :eek:

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:16 AM
i think it was in sydney 2005... (not 100%sure) but alicia molik played the best dropshot id ever seen it landed and then bounced back onto alicia's side of the net... that probably happens a lot im not sure but it was pretty cool to watch

Ben.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
i think it was in sydney 2005... (not 100%sure) but alicia molik played the best dropshot id ever seen it landed and then bounced back onto alicia's side of the net... that probably happens a lot im not sure but it was pretty cool to watch

so alicia won the point didn't she ;)

Louis Cyphre
Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
The most strange one this year for me:
Dementieva defeating all her Grand Slam upsetters (Schruff - AO, Peer - RG, Sharapova - Wimby, Jankovic - USO) in CHRONOLOGICAL order in Los Angeles.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DutchieGirl
Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:45 PM

What the hell is a Dokic case? Maria is totally different from Jelena. Jelena's whole family became Australian, and then they moved back to Serbia... what does that have to do with Maria? Everyone's situation is different. Heaps of players live and train in the US but don't become American citizens - do you want to force all of them to become American? Or only Maria because she made it big?

!<blocparty>!
Dec 23rd, 2006, 08:02 PM
For me, the strangest thing this year has to be Elena Demented winning the LA HC title this summer by beating all the players she lost to at each slam this year.

Ted Watts missing a point at Wimbledon.

Maria Sharapova defeating Serena Williams in two sets denying the two-time defending champion a third title in as many years.

Lindsay Davenport thrashing Maria Sharapova 6-0 6-0 as her only ever win over her... Maria turning up at the next tournament in Miami and winning the opening set of her match 6-0.

terjw
Dec 23rd, 2006, 08:21 PM
One of the strangest incidents I saw this year - I think it was in the final at Warsaw when Kim was receiving a serve and when the ball bounced - it just shot vertically up into the stratosphere. I've seen bad bounces - but I've never seen anything like that before. That surface was :eek: . It was an ace of course and Kim looked as if to say what can I do. Anyone remember that and if I'm right about when it happened?

Ben.
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:04 AM
One of the strangest incidents I saw this year - I think it was in the final at Warsaw when Kim was receiving a serve and when the ball bounced - it just shot vertically up into the stratosphere. I've seen bad bounces - but I've never seen anything like that before. That surface was :eek: . It was an ace of course and Kim looked as if to say what can I do. Anyone remember that and if I'm right about when it happened?

yeah i did see that happening so your not the only one & kim was just laughing bout it.

SilK
Dec 24th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Didn't Kim retire in a match against Schnyder this year, after Kim had (and missed) matchpoint?

That's, well, not weird... but still a little :shrug: for Kim.

Ben.
Dec 24th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Didn't Kim retire in a match against Schnyder this year, after Kim had (and missed) matchpoint?

That's, well, not weird... but still a little :shrug: for Kim.

she retired against schnyder in the 3rd round of berlin last year actually leading 5-2 in the 2nd set & holding match point at some point in the 2nd set before retiring at 6-5 trailing.

HenryMag.
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:23 PM
This year for the 1st time, the matches between LenaD and Kim, the player that won the 1st set, didn't won the match...It was in Antwerp....Lena lost...

Dexter
Dec 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM
One of the strangest incidents I saw this year - I think it was in the final at Warsaw when Kim was receiving a serve and when the ball bounced - it just shot vertically up into the stratosphere. I've seen bad bounces - but I've never seen anything like that before. That surface was :eek: . It was an ace of course and Kim looked as if to say what can I do. Anyone remember that and if I'm right about when it happened?Yeah, I remember it. But I'm not sure if it was in the final :scratch: I was definitely at this match though.

beecharmer
Dec 24th, 2006, 02:11 PM
[quote=pengluv;9668675]She may be born there but she was trained in our freaking soil.

for goodness sake u have a chinese flag in your avator and u claim the American flag? U guys were delivered under immigrancey and u get snobby over someone who has never asked to be Amercan?

BARBIE
Dec 24th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Michael Llodra killed a bird in mid flight while serving.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

goldenlox
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM
It was strange that Anna C beat Nadia 3 times this summer and fall.

Ben.
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:22 PM
It was strange that Anna C beat Nadia 3 times this summer and fall.

i think the 1st two meetings that took place this year nadia was just coming back from injury. but nothing to take away from anna c though.

Just Do It
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:33 PM

:eek:

Wiggly
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Any video of Llodra killing bird?:eek: :lol:

Dementieva's is indeed quite shocking.:worship:

bmwofoz
Dec 25th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Maria is Russian

Who cares if she speaks good English, the British Royal Family is German, but they are still called the British Royal Family.