PDA

View Full Version : marie's draw for wimby!

Beat
Jun 18th, 2002, 12:15 PM
1. round: maureen drake
I don't know much about maureen. but I guess marie has to be happy she didn't get a seeded or a very good unseeded player.

2. round: possibly paola suarez
one of the lowest of the seeded players, and much better on clay than on grass, so no impossible task.

3. round: probably venus williams
oh dear :rolleyes:
but it'd be certainly a good experience.

Vanity
Jun 18th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Maureen Drake is Canadian.... so I am kind of torn up between that one. ;) She is probably the only hope for Canada so it's a toughie.
Maureen qualified and won a match last year... but really, I don't think Maureen has anything in her game that would hurt Marie on a fast surface like this. She's fairly consistent though, so she can give a more error-prone player like Marie a tough go. Should be an interesting match!

As for the second round... if this was clay, I would say Paola would win. However, this is grass, and Marie has an advantage over a clay-courter like Paola. The faster surface will help her to end the points early, which she needs.

Then of course, Venus in the third round. I think that would be a great experience for her. I am not one of those people who believes Venus is invincible. More than anything, the match will depend on how Marie decides to play.... whether she is intimdated or not. She has no reason to be intimidated, she has the power weapons like Venus. She played Capriati last year and did fairly well so I think she is capable of giving a scare. :)

Zamboni
Jun 18th, 2002, 02:54 PM
First 2 rounds should be winnable...third round too of course, but that's no must! ;)

Good luck Marie!

Beat
Jun 19th, 2002, 10:40 AM
poor vanity, maureen is canadian! aren't there any other canadian players @ wimbledon? jana nejedly? what about vaness webb? does she have to go through qualifying? she gave shaughnessy a really hard time!

Vanity
Jun 19th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Nejedly is in Wimbledon, she plays Wynne Prakusya in the first round. Webb missed out on qualifying because she was playing in Eastbourne. Pelletier lost in the first round of qualifying. I think I would prefer MGM to win anyway because I think she would make it further than Maureen would! ;)