PDA

View Full Version : If there was a 5th Grand Slam, when and where should it be, and what surface?

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:58 AM
If there was a 5th Grand Slam, I think it should be in China because there are no Grand Slams in Asia and no other major tournament (apart from Shanghai Masters Cup). I think it should be held in Beijing or Shanghai because those cities have huge populations and would draw lots of crowds.

I think it should be held in late March, after Indian Wells and Miami.

I think the surface should be carpet.

What are your choices?

switz
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:02 AM
Russia on Ice

Drake1980
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:03 AM
Russia on Ice

:lol:

Drake1980
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:04 AM
Seriously though maybe The Indian Wells Tournament in March on hard!!

goldenlox
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:05 AM
There won't be another slam, but there will be 2 more mega-events like Miami and IW.
From what I've read, the prizemoney will be very big. Bigger than Miami now, and Sveta won $533,000.

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:09 AM
The players would have to learn how to ice skate :lol:

Some of the men would like funny such as Marat Safin and Andy Roddick :lol:

Serena and Venus Williams would look funny too :lol:

Russia on Ice

LudwigDvorak
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:10 AM
There should definitely be a carpet Slam. There are "only" four Slams as it stands. Tennis needs more exposure anyway. And do we really need 12 Tier I events? 10's enough.

Wayn77
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:14 AM
Russia on Ice

:lol: :lol:

skates would force Maria (edit: and a few others) to come to the net occasionally :D

wistfully: Brazil or Argentina on hard fast grass

realistically & economically: China on hard carpet (as soon as poss)

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:18 AM
I would like to see Amelie Mauresmo do one of her 2 metres jumps to celebrate a point on ice :lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:25 AM
Miami...but I think the BIG 4 should be more even distributed in the calendar.

I think it's a good idea to keep the 4 majors and add other big tourneys. And I think across the board, it shold be 2 out of 3 for BOTH men and women until the final and in the final, it should be 3 out of 5.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:28 AM
Serena and Venus Williams would look funny too :lol:

they didn't look funnny playing on ice in their McDonald's commerical....:confused: :scratch: ;)

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:30 AM
IMO that is a bad idea. So many classic matches wouldn't be possible such as US Open 2005 Blake vs Agassi would have been fairly boring 6-3 6-3 to Blake.

We need 5 sets to keep us interested :)

I think it's a good idea to keep the 4 majors and add other big tourneys. And I think across the board, it should be 2 out of 3 for BOTH men and women until the final and in the final, it should be 3 out of 5.

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:31 AM
Being on the McDonalds tour is Serena's new excuse to eat fast food and get fat :rolleyes:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:32 AM
it wasn't for the McDonald's tour...it was for the Olympics ;) :cool:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:33 AM
IMO that is a bad idea. So many classic matches wouldn't be possible such as US Open 2005 Blake vs Agassi would have been fairly boring 6-3 6-3 to Blake.

We need 5 sets to keep us interested :)

ok, well from the quarters on, because if I have to watch Roger Federer beat ANOTHER person losing less than 5 games in 3 sets, I'm gonna shoot myself. The early rounds SUCK in terms of quality.

Lefty.
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:38 AM
ok, well from the quarters on, because if I have to watch Roger Federer beat ANOTHER person losing less than 5 games in 3 sets, I'm gonna shoot myself. The early rounds SUCK in terms of quality.

For just Federer, I totally agree, in some other matches though, it's more interesting.

Florida
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:47 AM
The fifth major would be the Miami tournament in March. It was the Lipton for many years, lately its been the NASDAQ. But it has always been a two-week tournament combining men and women. If there was a need for another major, that one is already in place.

Martian Stacey
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:54 AM
The fifth major would be the Miami tournament in March. It was the Lipton for many years, lately its been the NASDAQ. But it has always been a two-week tournament combining men and women. If there was a need for another major, that one is already in place.
I agree, its the most obvious choice for a new slam. Its sometimes referred to as the 5th grand slam anyway ;)

Ben.
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:05 AM

agree, miami always provides a great line-up of players & every year is no different.

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:10 AM
Yeah Miami is a great tournament. For some reason I prefer Indian Wells though ... Dunno why.

Anyway there is already a GS in USA so it would be really unfair to have another one! Not to mention all the other tournaments ...

Tennace
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:13 AM
I think Russia earned itself a slam. Dont know when though :shrug:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:14 AM
That's true.

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:15 AM
Yeah I thought about that but there is already two Grand Slams in Europe. I think it would be better to have a GS in China due to population, developement in the game there and there are no Grand Slams or major women's tournaments in Asia

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:17 AM
:tape: I got outposted :lol: I agreed with your post lol

Dementieva Serve
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:21 AM
:lol:

azinna
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:25 AM
Perhaps the Powers should coordinate the year end champs for both tours, make it into a two-week slam on carpet, locate in China, and use it to cap off the indoor season.

goldenlox
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:26 AM
There's going to be a Miami type in China, and in Madrid.
Plus Miami and IW.

rockstar
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:29 AM
yeah china indoors :cool:

Florida
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:55 AM
That's alot of indoor courts at one location to do a major.

Is that normal?

Remember I live in Florida and play outdoors year-round.

Atrixo
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:56 AM
yeah china indoors :cool:

ITA. An indoor, carpet/Rebound Ace tournament in China would be the most logical choice for a fifth Grand Slam. I think Shanghai would probably be preferable to Beijing though. It would distinguish itself from the other Grand Slams.

Gooner
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:25 AM
I think The Rogers Cup in Canada.

Atrixo
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:31 AM
I think The Rogers Cup in Canada.

That would be my personal preference, of course! ;) :lol:

Florida
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:37 AM
How about Canada major in Sept. when the weather is OK.

Move U.S. Open to early April when weather is better in N.Y. and eliminate the gap between Australian and French opens.

DutchieGirl
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:00 AM
I think it'd be cool if they had one in Amsterdam indoors. :p At the end of the indoor season...just get rid of the YEC. :angel:

Nah, seriously, if they were gonna have another one, then I think somewhere in Asia...

DutchieGirl
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:04 AM
There's going to be a Miami type in China, and in Madrid.
Plus Miami and IW.

Great - that has nothing to do with this thread! :lol:

It's a hypothetical thread about where a 5th GS should be, not about where they will have big tournaments in the new roadmap!